GW2 lacks tangible reward

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jatacid.3725

Jatacid.3725

In order for a game to be successful, it should be entertaining to play alone.

Not necessarily without other people – but as a single player perspective it should be entertaining to play.

GW2 once you reach end game becomes a thing where you simply ‘catch up’ on living story content – then grind a handful of fractals.

A lot of people leave this game because there ‘is nothing to do’.

Sure the temporary content is nice, but beyond that, the game is lacking really fun replayable content.

I think one of the things that is the cause of it all may be the lack of good rewards. Everyone has more-or-less end game gear. The arguably best-in-game visual items are all store based. People seem to be wanting to find exotics only to put them in a mystic forge – never to use.

What kind of a reward system is that? “Heres your reward, now go throw it in the toilet”

GW2 needs to dramatically rethink their rewards system for end game. Put tangible rewards all over the world – not just in fractals.

A player needs to have incentive to play beyond friends to play with. The combat has dissolved into dodging red circles and without more mechanics is no longer the ‘reward’ for good playstyles. Itemization has dissolved into upping agony resists in order to get what? More agony resists? The fact people play so many fractals is an example of how people are desperate for an ongoing reward system.

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

World vs World or PvP.

Both are challenging, fun and rewarding (not in the material sense).

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

PvP or WvW has a lot of challenge if you want another avenue. Or, without knowing what classes/races you have leveled and taken to completion, try another class or race.

Jumping puzzles, which I am horrible at, are an award based task and some are nightmarish in difficulty. That’s a solo route and depending on your choice of profession and race, could prove to be very rewarding, both from “I did it” and from a “Look at the cool stuff I got”…

Posted by: Jatacid.3725

Jatacid.3725

What cool stuff have you ever got from a jumping puzzle?

and whilst I am probably putting myself in the minority here – I really dislike the WvW in this game. I played AION which was a fail mmo, but it had frikkin AMAZING pvp. Combat was relatively balanced, wasnt too fast, dynamic, small skirmishes were insanely fun and big zergs also, invading was so exciting and there were really great rewards to be had.
Going from that to herding dolyaks or standing in a zerg not even being able to deal any damage before everything dies…yeah.. I dunno call me unimpressed.

(edited by Jatacid.3725)

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

GW2 since release has suffered from a problem with risk and time investment vs reward.

That is one of the reasons players do leave this game – like it or not a lot of people enjoy progression and rewards.

This game offers neither.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

What cool stuff have you ever got from a jumping puzzle?

Several exotic drops from jumping puzzles as well as a fair share of rares. Nothing we do in this game will give us a million gold but the RNG gods do smile once and a while.

A fellow guild member has had 2 ascended drops from WvW chests…I did Arah last Thursday for the first time and got a very cool, exotic rifle that has a unique (to itself) skin, the Spectral Wave rifle….I will skin it onto an ascended weapon once it’s finished.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

World vs World or PvP.

WvW will suck your wallet dry of gold and give you absolutely nothing in return. It was fun until I could no longer meet my repair bills.

Azreell.1568

World vs World or PvP.

WvW will suck your wallet dry of gold and give you absolutely nothing in return. It was fun until I could no longer meet my repair bills.

Buy gems , convert to gold.

The cash grab model in this game is becoming more and more apparent.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Elbegast.6970

World vs World or PvP.

I don’t support cash shops. I don’t do pay-2-win garbage.

Azreell.1568

World vs World or PvP.

I don’t support cash shops. I don’t do pay-2-win garbage.

Then you are playing the wrong game because gw2 is evolving into that particular model.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Reverence.6915

World vs World or PvP.

That doesn’t sound right. I make 20-30 gold a week purely off WvW, most of it from selling mats I get from salvaging all the loot drops. I probably spend 20 silver a night at most on repairs. It’s not fantastic for making gold, but it’s hardly as bad as you make it out to be.

There’s also buying siege with badges, then selling them on the TP.

If you’re hiding in your keep/tower all night, you definitely won’t be getting much in the way of material rewards.

Then you are playing the wrong game because gw2 is evolving into that particular model.

Don’t know what game you’re playing. I’ve spent probably $50 on gems after I bought the game, and none of it was converted to gold. Has never been necessary. I only bought convenience/vanity items.

Beastgate | Faerie Law

Posted by: Morgash.3165

Morgash.3165

World vs World or PvP.

You must die a insane amount of times… the loot you get from bags should cover any repair bills.. or farm some of the crafting nodes as you WvW and sell them but you shouldn’t be going broke unless you just die all day and never kill anything…..

Elbegast.6970

World vs World or PvP.

That doesn’t sound right. I make 20-30 gold a week purely off WvW, most of it from selling mats I get from salvaging all the loot drops. I probably spend 20 silver a night at most on repairs. It’s not fantastic for making gold, but it’s hardly as bad as you make it out to be.

There’s also buying siege with badges, then selling them on the TP.

If you’re hiding in your keep/tower all night, you definitely won’t be getting much in the way of material rewards.

Don’t know what game you’re playing. I’ve spent probably $50 on gems after I bought the game, and none of it was converted to gold. Has never been necessary. I only bought convenience/vanity items.

I’m a solo roaming thief. I spent over 100g in a single saturday in WvW, solo capping supply camps and upgrading keeps. The loot drops + time invested don’t even begin to make up for that amount of lost gold. WvW is a good way to insure that you are always broke.

Elbegast.6970

World vs World or PvP.

You must die a insane amount of times… the loot you get from bags should cover any repair bills.. or farm some of the crafting nodes as you WvW and sell them but you shouldn’t be going broke unless you just die all day and never kill anything…..

I take it you’ve never bothered with upgrading keeps. If you had, you would understand my point.

Reverence.6915

I’m a solo roaming thief. I spent over 100g in a single saturday in WvW, solo capping supply camps and upgrading keeps. The loot drops + time invested don’t even begin to make up for that amount of lost gold. WvW is a good way to insure that you are always broke.

My advice, don’t upgrade anything. Leave that for the zerg/commander. Sometimes, it’s really annoying walking into a keep expecting it to be full of supply, only to see it upgrading with 0 supply.

As a roaming thief, should be easy to get a lot of loot from guards and ganking players.

Beastgate | Faerie Law

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

This thread could have been avoided if the OP thought in the terms of “IMHO”. In no way or fashion what he/she is saying applies to all players-to some just playing with friends AND/OR solo is “tangible enough”, and to others there are actually plenty of things and “digital rewards” that keep them engaged.

It all boils down to a simple truth-no game can satisfy every player out there. At least this one does a great job of keeping very different types of people playing for their own diverse reasons.