GW2 loot system , Do you players like it ? yes/no give reasons for both

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Ok i Do not like the current loot system , grinding a dungeon for hours on end for 1 piece of armour/weapon is just not fun to me . I loved the loot system in gw1 , greens were awsome and great looking items you implemented , And made doing the instances well worth it not to mention you could sell the greens for a nice profit etc … I just cannot bring myself to do Dungeons for this reason sadly

list your feed back …

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

dungeons give a lot more loot than the end reward as there are chests along the way usually – not that they offer nearly enough items to make dungeon running worthwhile for loot.

For me, the loot system is ok, maybe the drop chances are a bit too low. But what I totally hate is the MF mechanic, heaven knows why they put that dungeon crawler abomination of a stat into this game. I wish it was removed (and people being reimbursed with the materials for the items or something like that to prevent public outrage) – the sooner, the better.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I just wish you were rewarded more for the tasks you did. Right now it seems you could run dungeons, events, or do pretty much anything and get mediocre vendor food unless the RNG gods blessed you at birth.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

No, it’s really boring. Just tons of trash drops to collect, so you can sell enough to buy something decent.

..but even that aside, it’s all perfectly balanced and predictable. How about more random elements, with interesting bonuses and special effects, like elemental damage and fancy procs, stuff like that.

Sure, we’ve got runes, but I’m so sick of stats like 20% chance on the occasional crit to do something so weak, I won’t even notice. End up using a rune that’s reliable instead.. but that ends up being boring, which is a lame tradeoff to have to make, and isn’t really a fun system, anyhow.

Posted by: Quickhit.3620

Quickhit.3620

I dont have any problem with it.However MF mechanism screw the things abit.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I don’t even look at loot anymore. I see blues, whites, and greens, and then I head to a merch. Only for rares do I ever even look at the stats anymore.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

I hate the current loot system. The Guild Wars loot system felt much better; it felt much more rewarding. It felt good to see valuable things drop and things that had importance. I remember getting a gold Chaos Axe req. 9 and jumping for joy.

Posted by: SteveMND.1754

SteveMND.1754

For those of us that never played GW1, could someone explain a bit more about what that was, and how it’s different than how GW2 does it? I haven’t done a lot of dungeons, but I don’t mind the current GW2 system, actually. I’m pretty flexible in my preferences, as long as it’s not one of those miserable systems where everybody fights and works and wins, and then at the end there’s a chance for one random item to drop that one random person out of the whole group gets…

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m happy with it. My only complaint are the times when, in large groups and depending on your class/build, you attack an NPC from its appearance to its death and receive no credit or loot. But I love that everyone gets loot all the time. I no longer look at other players as them vs me, or rush past NPCs to the nearest harvesting node because of fear that another player might do the same thing.

Posted by: Grandizer.6278

Grandizer.6278

Seems there is little reward for killing anything, as far as weapons/armor. Thank God they toned down the butter. I’m crafting my own armor and weapons but I rarely get any heavy armor or weapon drops at all. If I get any armor, for some reason it’s fine and medium and weapons I get something not used by my profession. That’s some bad odds as a warrior has the greatest variety of weapons choices. First time I took on a veteran tree in Wayfarer I figured something would drop as a reward and I found out since then you don’t get anything.

Posted by: Shindar the Reaver.2518

Shindar the Reaver.2518

For those of us that never played GW1, could someone explain a bit more about what that was, and how it’s different than how GW2 does it? I haven’t done a lot of dungeons, but I don’t mind the current GW2 system, actually. I’m pretty flexible in my preferences, as long as it’s not one of those miserable systems where everybody fights and works and wins, and then at the end there’s a chance for one random item to drop that one random person out of the whole group gets…

GW1 had a system that was kind of a cross between what GW2 is now (with the focus on loot ‘upgrades’ being aesthetic rather than stat-oriented, mostly) and a Diablo game if you’re familiar with that.

There was gold, and materials that you could farm to sell or use in crafting armour or weapons if you wanted as in any MMO. So there were some guaranteed rewards if you put the time in, as there are in GW2. There were also a couple of token rewards for completion of certain things.

The loot in different regions was often different and appropriate for the area (i.e. certain weapon types only dropped in certain areas). Random drops from any monster or chest was a bigger part of that game than GW2. You could get lucky and hit the jackpot with a perfect rare weapon, even if you weren’t in the area just to farm it.

Random drops were frequent and varied enough to keep you excited about the possibility of getting something valuable.

To be clear, it was NOT like a WoW RNG system. You didn’t have the to run through an area to reach some end boss for a chance at something and then compete with others for it. Some bosses did have desirable random loot exclusive to them, but the journey there could also be very profitable and exciting. The loot you got also was not soulbound, unlike in WoW. If something nice dropped in WoW, for example, that nobody in the group wanted to use, it was trash. In Guildwars, it kept its value completely because it was tradeable. That’s very important.

The game did not just revolve around collecting currency, but it also didn’t revolve around farming some end boss. It had a very nice mixture of random drops from every monster and chest, guaranteed rewards through currencies, and rewards exclusive to defeating bosses.

(edited by Shindar the Reaver.2518)

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

From what I have seen, GW2 allows players to craft the best armor and weapons in terms of statistics, although not cosmetics. I can either craft items myself or buy them on the TP from other crafters. Items are also available for karma, but aside from the aqua breathers from some heart quests I haven’t used that route. Other games revolve around RNG and item drops. In GW2 I enjoy working towards a goal, rather than playing the RNG roulette wheel. Besides, what’s wrong with having a game that implements different loot mechanics? If one really enjoys RNG based loot systems, there are already plenty of choices.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I like it more than GW1s system, which was pretty much the same, except for the fact that dungeon or elite area chests had an incredibly small chance of dropping a super rare item, which was the only way to get it. The RNG of precursors in GW2 is nothing compared to the 0.001% probability of getting your desired item in GW if you want to work for it instead of just buying it from others. Plus, some skins couldn’t be fully stat modified(Canthan non elite area skins), which was a pita, because you basically had to get extremely lucky to get the item of your choice with the inherent bonuses you desired, or settle for wielding sub-optimal weapon.

So yes, the loot system is fine IMO, especially the random chest drops. The rarity in loot is still there with precursors, but unlike in GW1, you don’t have to do the same monotonous run 200 times until you may get what you want. If the only way to get, let’s say Giant Eyes is to run Arah explorable, then I wouldn’t like it.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Yes. I would rather grind dungeons that I know at the end will give me a certain amount of tokens which are SURE that over time I’ll be able to get, rather than grind dungeons ceaselessly for a piece of armor that may or may not drop, and that I may or may not equip. It also opens up another problem of dungeon armor being tradeable. If it is, it doesn’t agree with anet’s philosophy that dungeon armor is something that is representative of YOUR skill in mastering that dungeon, but rather your pocket’s skill. If it isn’t tradeable, you’re stuck with a bunch of armor you may or may NOT use. It’s cool if you have alts, but if you don’t, you’re screwed. Another problem is having multiple drops of the same kind (two hats, two leggings, two gloves, 1 pants, but no chest!) as a possibility. And this is just for armor. What about for weapons? The predictability is fine, and the 26s you get for completing is fine as well, since you get alot of trash loot which will sell for a couple silvers, as well as some mobs will drop nice silver.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I have a couple of issues with the current loot system.

1. Blues and Greens are too abundant they they aren’t appreciated unless leveling. Most of them are vendored directly as the market is flooded with these items.

2. Yellows (rare) are the only items that feel somewhat rewarding and that’s because you can salvage them for Ectoplasms.

3. You are more likely to get these rares from farming mobs during events rather than actually doing challenging content.

4. All mobs seem to share the same loot table. Fighting Veterans or Elites is highly inefficient and thus, unrewarding compared to AoEing down a group of mobs instantly.

5. Exotics are relatively easy to affordable to purchase compared to grinding out the gear in Dungeons. With a price of 2-3 Gold per item it’s not that expensive to get exactly what you want.

If they wanted to address these issues here’s what they should do.

1. Remove the chance for regular mobs to drop rare items. They should only drop blue and the occasional green item.

2. Veteran and Elite mobs should have a chance of dropping either green or yellow items.

3. Chests should also drop green or yellow items.

4. Add a MF bonus to mobs that have been alive for a long time. The longer a mob remains unkilled, the higher the chance to drop something good. This is to promote and reward exploration off the beaten track.

5. Remove MF gear from the game.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It could be improved.

To tell the truth I feel it could even be replaced. GW2 has already thrown off most of the stagnant mechanics that have plagued the MMO genre for years and years. They did all this amazing work redefining the genre, then left this dusty old text adventures mechanic completely unchallenged. Why not kick it too?

I’m not sure what a good alternative would be but there has to be a more fulfilling reward system than a RNG that craps out nonsensical items each time you down another enemy.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Personally, I’d like to see exotics reworked.

I think the jump from rare to exotic is very small and exotic to legendary is huge. Most people should be in rare gear, working for exotic at this point.

I also am not a huge fan of how you get exotic gear (karma, crafting and dungeon tokens). I’d like to see the primary way to get exotics is through drops. Right now you can be in full exotic gear within a day or so of hitting 80.

I agree with removing MF from game.
I agree that veteran/elite mobs and chests should have better loot than regular mobs

I think a random exotic should drop primarily from end bosses of dungeons (maybe rare items in lower level dungeons). This would still take awhile to create a dungeon armor set, but provide a bit more reward each run through.

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

I’m mostly happy with it.

I can live with MF but I wouldn’t be sad to see it go.

Dungeons I think need some improvements, some unique reward or incentive other than tokens, but I believe they’ve posted they’re working on that (Karma was the first step).

I would like to see some way of attaining a specific Legendary precursor that is not purely RNG, otherwise I’ll just be grinding and saving my coins and hoping the price doesn’t go too much higher than it is now.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

I hate it ,
-Dungeon loot is so sub part might as well not be given the vender trash green/blue’s
-Hate token system they take the “wow I killed a boss lets see what I got factor out of the game”
-I think rare’s/exotics are way too easily obtained ( its no fun to be dececked out in the best armor in game then look to your left and right and see 10 other people with it, it makes rares and exotics STANDARD not rare and exotic
-World boss events need to be buffed i’d prefer 1 yellow than 5-6 crap drops
-There should be rare fun drops from certain bosses like a rare pet/cool flavor only item/ rare ingredents/ goofy casual skins they just make the game more fun

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

I have a couple of issues with the current loot system.

1. Blues and Greens are too abundant they they aren’t appreciated unless leveling. Most of them are vendored directly as the market is flooded with these items.

2. Yellows (rare) are the only items that feel somewhat rewarding and that’s because you can salvage them for Ectoplasms.

3. You are more likely to get these rares from farming mobs during events rather than actually doing challenging content.

4. All mobs seem to share the same loot table. Fighting Veterans or Elites is highly inefficient and thus, unrewarding compared to AoEing down a group of mobs instantly.

5. Exotics are relatively easy to affordable to purchase compared to grinding out the gear in Dungeons. With a price of 2-3 Gold per item it’s not that expensive to get exactly what you want.

If they wanted to address these issues here’s what they should do.

1. Remove the chance for regular mobs to drop rare items. They should only drop blue and the occasional green item.

2. Veteran and Elite mobs should have a chance of dropping either green or yellow items.

3. Chests should also drop green or yellow items.

4. Add a MF bonus to mobs that have been alive for a long time. The longer a mob remains unkilled, the higher the chance to drop something good. This is to promote and reward exploration off the beaten track.

5. Remove MF gear from the game.

I strongly agree with these statements and would benefit Anet to look at this

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Frankly I’m not all that impressed with many of the skins and it’s a skin game. I know some people said they don’t like the crafted armor, but I would almost argue the reverse… it’s ultimately subjective though. I have an engineer and it makes no sense to me why my outfit (from a fundamental standpoint) would have anything in common with a thief or ranger… I should have a whole bunch of pockets and tech and stuff whereas thieves would have tighter outfits whereas rangers would have that “Aragon look”; or at the very least, vary the medium armor looks so that they’re not all some version of a longcoat with eye-piece or bandit mask.

Some of the weapons are cool, but are really locked in the TP/Mystic Forge with incredibly rare chances of them dropping.

I think loot is terrible, especially in the dungeons… though at least you can make decent coin off a run. Rare drops, including certain types of cores and lodestones, should be slightly better (after all, you need an insane number of ectos and lodestones for legendary items anyway). I know legendary items aren’t supposed to be handed over on a silver platter, but improving the drop rates don’t necessarily reduce the acquisition time… it’ll probably still take a considerable amount of time/coin to get. The loot from chests lack diversity considering there’s all sorts of consumables within the game (bag of gems/gold, boosters, tonics, potions, food, guild influence scrolls, etc.).