GW2 looting mechanics are minor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: smashgodlight.6584

smashgodlight.6584

So I’ve been here for the released day of the game and to be honest is the number one game that I spend a lot of time in it ! I remember the first time leveling up to 80 and then I was like . Now what? Tryed to gear up play some dungeons some bosses but by playing the game and getting a legendary , I was started to feel that the game is not interesting anymore ! I tried to change races and classes and now ended up having full character slot with full 80 level characters and it started to get more boring. Now the main thing I believe that makes things boring for me is the loot ! Ok some people are getting ascended weapons from tequatl ( I got some too) but most of the times you are getting a huge amount of fine items and masterwork also about 2-3 rares . But rarely you will be getting exotics ! I mean come on am sorry by mentioning that but I am just another mmorpg fan and I know a lot of people are too . I played a lot of mmo games like Gw2 and WoW and these are my best 2 but Gw2 does not have that feeling that you will be getting a huge amount of loot when you will kill a boss ok the first time yes it does but when you keep doing the event things are changing ! On the other hand WoW has that and any other mmo has that looting mechanics ! Also I can understand having some legendaries that are really hard to achieve and craft them it makes the game to have a reason to be playable but it would be more fun if the looting would be more fear ! I don’t know about others but I feel that 2 hours of playing all the bosses in gw2 is not even worth ti with the loot that you are getting !

Hope that Anet sees that. I know a lot of people disagree with that but I think adding a little bit more loot or may be making more weapons so you will be able to loot them would be a game changer !!

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

I think gw2 still has that what youre talking about but in a more larger scale.
in other games you would need to do specific dungeons and instances for a shiny powerfull cool looking weapon. You would do it cause its good for your class/build.

in gw all lvl 80 gear has the same stats for all classes. Buz if you want shiverpeak/norn skins youd go to those zones for them to drop.

if you want the carapace armor set you will have to play in silverwaste zones. Dping multiple various events gives tokens for you to buy them. Or doing the large long zone meta event with vinewrath boss gives tons of loot (gold) amd a chance of geting a piece of carapace gear.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think the problem for you is that you are basing your value of game time and play on what you get from it loot wise. If you can only play 2 hours per day and are spending that time just doing world bosses I can understand that it may seem like you are not being rewarded much for your time.

But tbh I think it’s more a frame of mind thing than anything. If you were doing different content that was perhaps oh I don’t no rewarding as in the way it’s played, perhaps with the fun factor in mind maybe you would look at things differently? Or perhaps it’s content that has you progressing in some way each time you play. Achievements could be one way to fulfill that. Maybe you have got to mix your gameplay up some and try different stuff?

I am sure when you first picked GW2 up and started playing it that it was for more than just loot. Maybe you need to find that “magic” that has gone lost somewhere along the way.

Just my opinion and I have also been here since the beginning but don’t have the problems that you do. Mind you I do pretty much all content and even take breaks away from the game now and then and play other games also.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Idk. I’ve been playing since beta and I agree the loot is meh. Kill teq one time and it’s epic. Kill teq 100 times and you’re looking through your loot afterwards and wondering if you’ll ever get even one of those account bound Teq weapons. (Why can’t they make those easier to get? You can’t sell them. They could have a token per chest included and a vendor to buy from once you get enough tokens).

Pretty much, you do an event and it’s a couple of silvers and some greens. They could have made the Carnival Weapons in Ember Bay a drop but no, it’s grind a large amount of gold and do a heart repeatedly.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

smashgodlight.6584

I think the problem for you is that you are basing your value of game time and play on what you get from it loot wise. If you can only play 2 hours per day and are spending that time just doing world bosses I can understand that it may seem like you are not being rewarded much for your time.

But tbh I think it’s more a frame of mind thing than anything. If you were doing different content that was perhaps oh I don’t no rewarding as in the way it’s played, perhaps with the fun factor in mind maybe you would look at things differently? Or perhaps it’s content that has you progressing in some way each time you play. Achievements could be one way to fulfill that. Maybe you have got to mix your gameplay up some and try different stuff?

I am sure when you first picked GW2 up and started playing it that it was for more than just loot. Maybe you need to find that “magic” that has gone lost somewhere along the way.

Just my opinion and I have also been here since the beginning but don’t have the problems that you do. Mind you I do pretty much all content and even take breaks away from the game now and then and play other games also.

Well you might be right I remember back in a days I was getting a simple stick and I was feeling that I really need that or I was getting a GS that has some small amount of better dmg and I was really proud of it :P ! Now changing a game I tried that playing gw2 and wow and the same time even though I stopped playing wow . Also I tried Wildstar but it’s always hard when you start from the beginning of learning a game :P

smashgodlight.6584

Idk. I’ve been playing since beta and I agree the loot is meh. Kill teq one time and it’s epic. Kill teq 100 times and you’re looking through your loot afterwards and wondering if you’ll ever get even one of those account bound Teq weapons. (Why can’t they make those easier to get? You can’t sell them. They could have a token per chest included and a vendor to buy from once you get enough tokens).

Pretty much, you do an event and it’s a couple of silvers and some greens. They could have made the Carnival Weapons in Ember Bay a drop but no, it’s grind a large amount of gold and do a heart repeatedly.

Exactly !! Playing teq the first time you feel like a hero but after 10 times …. naahh ! They could do a more chance of getting the ascended weapons from teq but they could do more fancy weapons that wou will be getting by killing a boss . Now about the Ember bay weapons i really don’t want to talk about that because the could make the prices lower but nope they just overdone it again !

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think it all comes down to the fact that they tune loot to the people that play very often. This means they can’t give players alot of the highest quality or rarest items often because those people would be the first to get bored. It’s impossible to deliver more content than that type of player can ‘consume’ in the same timeframe. So instead they make sure there is loot that’s super rare.

I do agree that GW2 gives players an enormous amount of ‘junk’. (fine/masterwork = auto salvage for me, they might aswell just give me the materials right away but salvage kits are a gold sink eh). But even in games where you get less items but of higher quality you will eventually get that feeling. With GW2 I’ve found 2 occam boxes in my entire time playing the game (1 from Teq, one from Dragon’s Stand random loot). I don’t play as much as the highly active players (~2100+ hours in 4 years) but even in other games I would find more items of the ascended equivalent by just playing in that timespan. On the other hand you do get an enormous amount of ‘junk’ (read materials really) that you can use to craft ascended.

The good thing is that ascended is only required for higher level fractals and to some extent in raids. I would not mind if random world drop ascended items would be slightly less rare though. The only sure way to get many of them is to farm fractals or craft them yourself.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you got exotics all the time, you’d be bored of them too.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I think would be better for mobs just give materials….
That would make the gw2 crafting system more decent, instead of kill mobs that drop armors and big hammers then i need to salvage them….

Certain type of materials should be associated to certain mobs.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Just a flesh wound.3589

My opinion.

Guild wars loot drops are meh because of how the game is designed. Because of the lack of a power treadmill, after level 80 you’re never looking in your drops for that next armor/weapon of +1 more stat. While I do appreciate the lack of gear grind, it means that the game is lacking an important means to give the players something to look for in the loot table.

Another factor is the world wide trading post instead of server specific trading posts. Any good drop anywhere in the world can be put on the trading post for you to buy. This means most dropped exotics are cheap as the number dropping world wide is enough to keep the prices low, even if it’s something you haven’t seen in hundreds or thousands of hours played.

A third factor is that most new items are locked behind collections and vendors, not drops. They very rarely put new items in as drops. They want you to work for them to extend play time for the related events.

Personally I don’t think this is an easy problem to solve. Every solution has its own problems. My best guess for the way to perk up the loot table is to add new skins as a rare drop to the new maps from now on. Make them account bound so they don’t hit the trading post and drop to nothing. They’ve shown they can crank out new weapons sets for the BL each month so I think one new weapon set as a drop for each new map is doable.

Comment:
There are those who say if you get exotics all the time you’d be bored. Well, that’s true but I’m not looking for all the time and I’m not looking for exotics. I’m looking for skins for my wardrobe. It’s nice if they are exotics because then they’re worth more if you salvage them but at this point I’ve been geared up for a long time and don’t need exotics for that.

They put new weapon skins as a drop in the HoT maps but imo it’s flawed in two ways. One, all are sellable in the trading post. That means that instead of only getting them as a reward for playing the new maps you could spend a few gold and get the whole set, even if you don’t have HoT. Two, they released those as a drop and then released a better looking, more creative set as a BL purchase. That devalued them further because by comparison with the BL set (dagger is a broken bottle, chair as a shield) they were meh and nowhere as creative.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you got exotics all the time, you’d be bored of them too.

I rarely get them(even in fractals they seem pretty rare now) but I am bored with them anyway. I don’t even bother using a BLSK on them anymore.

smashgodlight.6584

My opinion.

Guild wars loot drops are meh because of how the game is designed. Because of the lack of a power treadmill, after level 80 you’re never looking in your drops for that next armor/weapon of +1 more stat. While I do appreciate the lack of gear grind, it means that the game is lacking an important means to give the players something to look for in the loot table.

Another factor is the world wide trading post instead of server specific trading posts. Any good drop anywhere in the world can be put on the trading post for you to buy. This means most dropped exotics are cheap as the number dropping world wide is enough to keep the prices low, even if it’s something you haven’t seen in hundreds or thousands of hours played.

A third factor is that most new items are locked behind collections and vendors, not drops. They very rarely put new items in as drops. They want you to work for them to extend play time for the related events.

Personally I don’t think this is an easy problem to solve. Every solution has its own problems. My best guess for the way to perk up the loot table is to add new skins as a rare drop to the new maps from now on. Make them account bound so they don’t hit the trading post and drop to nothing. They’ve shown they can crank out new weapons sets for the BL each month so I think one new weapon set as a drop for each new map is doable.

Comment:
There are those who say if you get exotics all the time you’d be bored. Well, that’s true but I’m not looking for all the time and I’m not looking for exotics. I’m looking for skins for my wardrobe. It’s nice if they are exotics because then they’re worth more if you salvage them but at this point I’ve been geared up for a long time and don’t need exotics for that.

They put new weapon skins as a drop in the HoT maps but imo it’s flawed in two ways. One, all are sellable in the trading post. That means that instead of only getting them as a reward for playing the new maps you could spend a few gold and get the whole set, even if you don’t have HoT. Two, they released those as a drop and then released a better looking, more creative set as a BL purchase. That devalued them further because by comparison with the BL set (dagger is a broken bottle, chair as a shield) they were meh and nowhere as creative.

I might be the one that written the post but I would agree on the idea of weapon skin drops ! I mean I own a legendary and some ascended and my ascendeds I always change their look. If you have the chance to get a skin drop by a boss fight or maybe an armor skin drop (not outfit but just a part of an armor with unusual skin ) would be really great because some times is good to change the look of your character and I mentioned the legendary because a lot of people craft or buy the legendaries for the skin ! If you see the stats of the lege and the stats of the ascended is the same but with different skin ! If only Anet could add a feature to loot skins either on new maps or maybe from boss events too that would be really cool and it would change the whole image of the game !!

Just a flesh wound.3589

The way the game is set with its drops, it’s reward by increments. It’s reward by crafting mats. That has to be about the most boring way to reward by getting a drop. It leads to a sameness, a flattening of the reward system. Do the most boring event you could ever imagine? Here’s your reward, some [crafting mats]. Kill a boss in an event that takes time to set up and coordination among groups to do? Here’s your reward, some [crafting mats]. If they do drop a unique skin, the chances of getting it are so low it might as well not be there for the average player. The likelihood that anyone will get, for example, one Teq weapon, much less the full set of Teq weapons skins is way to low.

It’s why I think they handled the Carnival weapons wrong. They could have made them as a rareish account bound drop from doing events in that map and killing mobs. But no, it’s from grinding gold with an option to pay less gold by doing one heart over and over and over and over again. And the prices! hai chihuahua! I looked at the prices and echoed what my thieves on my elite skill say, “You’re kidding, right?” Can we say “obvious gold sink is obvious?” A reward that has its main goal as being a gold sink for the rich is not a reward for playing the events on the map.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s why I think they handled the Carnival weapons wrong. They could have made them as a rareish account bound drop from doing events in that map and killing mobs. But no, it’s from grinding gold with an option to pay less gold by doing one heart over and over and over and over again. And the prices! hai chihuahua! I looked at the prices and echoed what my thieves on my elite skill say, “You’re kidding, right?” Can we say “obvious gold sink is obvious?” A reward that has its main goal as being a gold sink for the rich is not a reward for playing the events on the map.

You can only buy the voucher once per day per account so you can’t really do it over and over even if you want to.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can only buy the voucher once per day per account so you can’t really do it over and over even if you want to.

Over and over don’t have to be on the same day. It can be consecutive days.

There’s 16 (?) weapons. That’s doing that heart 16 times to get a voucher for each. That counts in my book as doing it over and over.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I agree that this game tends to overload players with low-value items and that it doesn’t feel particularly rewarding. But I’m not sure GW2’s loot system is any worse than WoW. Just different.

Over in WoW I barely used the crafting system because very few items were worth crafting. I always had tons of gold, but rarely did I have anything to spend it on. Nowadays they allow you to burn gold to pay your subscription, so I imagine that’s what a lot of players do with their excess gold.

Here I never have enough gold. There’s always something to buy and I’d be an idiot not to learn all of the crafting skills as I’ve found that sooner or later you’ll need something from one skill or another. I think that works out better, but I’d be lying if I said I feel rewarded by having to salvage 300 trash items every 30 minutes.

But hey, at least they added salvage all!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There aren’t that many different sorts of reward systems:

• Token systems: those are either too easy or a grind; it’s hard to find a balance. People like this anyhow, because it’s easy to make and measure progress.
  • RNG: anything that drops too often ends up having no value and doesn’t “feel” shiny; anything that rarely drops feels out-of-reach for the poorest players. People like this anyhow because anyone can (and does) get lucky at something.
  • Market: items lose their shininess because they can just be bought for gold acquired through whatever method the player likes. People like this anyhow because you can acquire lots of things you want by getting rid of the things you don’t.

ANet tries to mix things up by including a variety of these methods with each release.

Unfortunately, they will never be able to add enough new shinies quickly enough to satisfy are growing appetites for shinies. New players get excited by their first green; veterans of T4 fractals don’t bother linking ascended trinkets. The more we play, the more we want.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think that the HoT maps did try in a way, if you earn T4 nighttime in VB you get the bladed armor box. That is definetely one way of doing it, this method isn’t repeated for the other maps though sadly.. Killing Octovine doesn’t give you a weapon with unique skin, you can still craft it from the dropped materials. But in the end it’s much more efficient to just finish the story on all 9 classes and then craft the remainder with what you get from AB itself.

I think rewarding skins is difficult, making skins is alot more time expensive than making a new item with x y z stat combo and a skin that already exists. One thing they tried with HoT is to have your easy to earn weapon set (Reclaimed), then you have your harder to earn weapon sets through crafting (AB), then there is the bladed armor you can get a guaranteed drop of (and some pieces from cargos too). Tangled depths uses a similar method as Auric Basin, except you get those egg drops and then buy the weapon you want. In a perfect world we’d have so many new skins releasing on a regular basis that they can have a set you can earn and a set that can drop (either weapons, armor or backpieces or a mix). But the time artists need to make all these skins is simply expensive.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Over and over don’t have to be on the same day. It can be consecutive days.

There’s 16 (?) weapons. That’s doing that heart 16 times to get a voucher for each. That counts in my book as doing it over and over.

You may have dropped a zero there. Lol. It’s 10 vouchers for each, thus 160 times for all. =P

Posted by: Travok.9671

Travok.9671

I recently came back to the game… to be honest I am tired of salvaging stuff already… I am tired of having the biggest slot bags and being forced to salvage all the crap drops I get… It doesn’t feel good to open bags and chests over and over and be rewarded with salvage.

I wish the game just dropped some cash… and the rare loot item. At least it would feel more meaningful when something dropped.

I don’t even look when I click open chests or bags anymore. I really could care less.. I know it will be salvaged.