GW2 needs FFA PvP servers!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

This game needs world PvP for people who enjoy it. What do you guys think?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

What would be the point? The only reason to enter the PvE world is the events. Having PvP there would be stupid, no one could do events. If you remove the PvE events and turn one server into a PvP server, then no one would enter the zones to begin with because there is no point. At best, we’re talking some activity in Orr for farming materials. Yeah great fun with FFA PvP while people are trying to farm mats. Perhaps the dungeons? Errr… They are group activities. I doubt a 5 man group would find it fun to slaughter each other for a while on the way to farm CoF (only to find a thief or two ganking everyone portalling in before their loading screen go away).

If you actually remade the zones to have some interesting PvP activities, then you’d have EoTM or alternativly WvW… And its easier to just join those too.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s already been discussed in 20 to 30 threads over the past year and a half, and the common opinion is No, the game does not need it and it is not wanted.

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

What would be the point? The only reason to enter the PvE world is the events.

Yeah great fun with FFA PvP while people are trying to farm mats.

It’s a rather tired discussion that’s also a double-edged sword. On the one hand, this type of game already exists, there are many games with open world pvp and in my opinion there is a lot more “point” to games like that than to games like this where we “farm mats” in pve so we can farm even more mats in pve so we can farm even more mats in pve etc. It’s a lot harder to farm mats if real people are trying to stop you, as opposed to risen or krait or whatever else. It’s sort of the same thing, only much more of a challenge, therefor it’s more rewarding when you succeed, more annoying when you fail, but that can be a good thing too – the more extreme things are, the higher some people’s desire to win is – so much so that they’ll spend thousands of real money to do so.

It creates drama, passion, pushes your skills to the limits, and sometimes makes guilds a lot tighter and less casual, gives you a purpose for being in the guild, where every member counts and isn’t just someone to talk to.

But on the other hand, it brings out the worst in some people, creating a more toxic environment, some will leave the game, guilds start to monopolise content.

Well, that’s a post for “every” server being pvp. But this thread didn’t say every server, just “some”. Personally I’d check it out if there was a proper pvp server, but yeah in this game I don’t know how well it would do. I’d like to see it though, and if you don’t, then don’t go there.

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Do you mean “thief only” -worlds?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Tsaerid.5084

Tsaerid.5084

If you want to run around on a thief ganking unsuspecting low level players then go do it in wvw.

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I thought Desolation was pvp dominant server…

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Tsaerid.5084

Tsaerid.5084

I thought Desolation was pvp dominant server…

In this context world pvp = running around ganking random people in pve zones

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

No.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s already been discussed in 20 to 30 threads over the past year and a half, and the common opinion is No, the game does not need it and it is not wanted.

It’s also been said over and over that the forum community is a minority and doesn’t actually represent what the majority wants.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s also been said over and over that the forum community is a minority and doesn’t actually represent what the majority wants.

And your point? It’s a bad idea, most people responding do not like it, and it has no place in GW, period. If you want open world PvP, there are more then enough other games out there, help yourself. This subject is the same as mounts and duels, it’s been suggested before, discussed to death, and there is no reason to keep creating duplicate threads except the laziness of posters who will not take the time to search first or vain enough to think they are the first to have this idea..

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

GW2 needs more Cantha pvp.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

tomlin.8204

And your point? It’s a bad idea, most people responding do not like it, and it has no place in GW, period. If you want open world PvP, there are more then enough other games out there, help yourself. This subject is the same as mounts and duels, it’s been suggested before, discussed to death, and there is no reason to keep creating duplicate threads except the laziness of posters who will not take the time to search first or vain enough to think they are the first to have this idea..

The search on this forum doesn’t work.

Why are people so defensive about this? It wouldn’t even affect you… if you don’t want to play on the -theoretical- pvp server then don’t

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

You and a handful of people on this specific forum think it’s a bad idea. If you pull up those threads asking the same thing as this, you will see that there is also a handful of people that would like PvP server(s). Quit trying to act like the majority of players don’t want this type of thing, we don’t know how many are for or against this.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

While I think a FFA PvP server is a bad idea, I do have to wonder if a single PvP zone built along those lines might not be worth looking into.

Mind you, I HATE PvP. I can’t stand it. But I don’t mind reasonable suggestions for those that enjoy it, and one zone seems reasonable. Something like the Edge of the Mists, but FFA? Never knowing who you’re going to go up against, and a map designed to make some areas favor certain kinds of builds or classes so that it’s not all one class dominating the entire map?

Sounds reasonable to me. Would enough people enjoy it to make it worth building? I don’t know.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

FFA servers in a PvE/PvP game inevitably fail, costing the developer money (see: Mordred/Andred server removal in DAoC for a prime example.)

An FFA server will typically start out with a modest amount of interest. As time progresses, depending on whether players start fresh at level 1 and have to progress to endgame level, or they transfer over at endgame level, eventually the server becomes populated with enough endgame level players to allow them free rein to gank lower level players at will.

The play then becomes stale. Lower level players new to the server cannot successfully level (unless constantly grouped with higher level players), new players flee, incoming players to the server diminish and the population collapses into itself, effectively killing the server. Gankers will not stay around if there is no one to gank.

This has happened to entire games. It’s just not cost effective. It is also not a “viable” game design for an MMO, given Bartle’s statement that 10% of a given MMO game population is comprised of gankers. Small audience. No longevity. Not good cost return.

If you want good PvP, whether FFA or ladder, FPS games have the correct engine and design to accomplish this (much more effectively).

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I hate pvp. But a few seperate pvp servers don’t hurt me in anyway. So go ahead I guess.
But keep it out of all the other servers!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

ShiningSquirrel.3751

While I think a FFA PvP server is a bad idea, I do have to wonder if a single PvP zone built along those lines might not be worth looking into.

Mind you, I HATE PvP. I can’t stand it. But I don’t mind reasonable suggestions for those that enjoy it, and one zone seems reasonable. Something like the Edge of the Mists, but FFA? Never knowing who you’re going to go up against, and a map designed to make some areas favor certain kinds of builds or classes so that it’s not all one class dominating the entire map?

Sounds reasonable to me. Would enough people enjoy it to make it worth building? I don’t know.

It has been said before, but it’s worth repeating to but this to sleep.
If they tried that, you would see nothing on this forums except complaints about how over powered this or that class is, nerf it. The balance issues would make it a nightmare. The game was/is designed for group play not 1v1. You would either have one class/build dominating the entire server, or just players running around in mini zergs ganking anyone in sight.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

It has been said before, but it’s worth repeating to but this to sleep.
If they tried that, you would see nothing on this forums except complaints about how over powered this or that class is, nerf it. The balance issues would make it a nightmare. The game was/is designed for group play not 1v1. You would either have one class/build dominating the entire server, or just players running around in mini zergs ganking anyone in sight.

You don’t visit profession balance/warrior subforum, do you?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

Go to EOTM, there’s your PvP server.

Posted by: CursedShaitan.9720

CursedShaitan.9720

Go to EOTM, there’s your PvP server.

The point of World PVP is challenging PVE or “increased dynamic challenge” to environment exploration. . Not the PVP in and of itself. Because of this WvW is not a suitable replacement because its sole purpose is PVP and doesn’t offer the same experience. The PvE element in EOTM would have to be greatly increased to get the same effect…problem is…….the PVE player base strongly objects to what little is in there now. They are mad they are having it forced on them. I don’t want it forced on them. I just want a mirror of the content normally seen with PVP FFA active so the PVE players who really really hate PVP dont have to stomach it in special mixed zones.

(edited by CursedShaitan.9720)

CursedShaitan.9720

In fact a World PVP server would probably be the perfect solution for PVE players who hate PVP and don’t like having to tread thorugh PVP zones for map completion as they could stop counting WvW zones. What PVE’rs fail to realize is these mixed zones are being forced on them to try and make the World PVP players happy when all the PVE+P players want is their own server so they can leave the PVE player in peace.

(edited by CursedShaitan.9720)

Palador.2170

It wouldn’t take a second of dev time.

Whoa. Full stop, right there.

First of all, it would take a LOT of Dev time to make sure that, on that server/those servers, the PvP works as intended. I very much doubt that there’s an “On/Off” switch for FFA PvP built into every zone.

Second, it would create servers that are different from all the others. Even small changes in code can result in big bugs. Not to mention, some normal events may become a problem if the zone is FFA. Dungeons and fractals would be even worse. Should they just leave them broken?

Finally, they have to PAY for the server. Even if it’s just a virtual server they’re renting from another company, that costs money. And unless the people playing on that server intend to foot the bill themselves, that means that the server costs come out of the game’s budget. A budget that could have gone for developments to the rest of the game.

It will take serious Dev time, and money. It will have EVERYTHING to do with us.

(edited by Moderator)

CursedShaitan.9720

It wouldn’t take a second of dev time.

Whoa. Full stop, right there.

First of all, it would take a LOT of Dev time to make sure that, on that server/those servers, the PvP works as intended. I very much doubt that there’s an “On/Off” switch for FFA PvP built into every zone.

Second, it would create servers that are different from all the others. Even small changes in code can result in big bugs. Not to mention, some normal events may become a problem if the zone is FFA. Dungeons and fractals would be even worse. Should they just leave them broken?

Finally, they have to PAY for the server. Even if it’s just a virtual server they’re renting from another company, that costs money. And unless the people playing on that server intend to foot the bill themselves, that means that the server costs come out of the game’s budget. A budget that could have gone for developments to the rest of the game.

It will take serious Dev time, and money. It will have EVERYTHING to do with us.

Sorry but they do have the ability to flip it on. They’ve done it live before in beta. The server would bring substantial extra cost but considering the number of players who have steered away from this game because of its lack of World PVP and how many they could draw in with that added option they shouldn’t have trouble covering one extra server.

(edited by Moderator)

Palador.2170

Sorry but they do have the ability to flip it on. They’ve done it live before in beta. The server would bring substantial extra cost but considering the number of players who have steered away from this game because of its lack of World PVP and how many they could draw in with that added option they shouldn’t have trouble covering one extra server.

They turned on FFA PvP in the Beta? I did not know that. Thanks for telling me. However… the game has been updated a lot after that. Even if that code is still there and still works, they’d have to test it. Make sure everything’s working right, all powers and skills are using the right numbers. And it would still create servers different from the others, adding to the stuff they have to debug. The switch makes the problem smaller, but it’s still very much there.

As for the server cost… I won’t ask you for solid numbers on how many people have left due to this, and how many would come back long enough to make the new server worth it. Those numbers are vague, and hard to pin down to anything exact.

Instead, I’ll ask you for one exact number. What is the price, per year, of running a GW2 server? If you can’t tell me that, then you’re just guessing.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

They turned on FFA PvP in the Beta? I did not know that. Thanks for telling me. However… the game has been updated a lot after that. Even if that code is still there and still works, they’d have to test it. Make sure everything’s working right, all powers and skills are using the right numbers. And it would still create servers different from the others, adding to the stuff they have to debug. The switch makes the problem smaller, but it’s still very much there.

No, they didn’t just “turn on” FFA PvP in the beta. They created “teams” and applied players to those teams (much like the mechanics found in WvW and EotM) on two separate occasions in special instance versions of Plains of Ashford and Metrica Province.

They’ve NEVER had Free-for-All PvP at ANY point, beta or live.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

The cost is not just coding (or in ANet’s case, scripting) and server/hardware cost. It is the on-going maintenance of what amounts to separate code that needs to be calculated as well. That means deploying extra man-power / hours, etcetera.

And what would be their ROI in terms of market share?

It’s easy to make arm-chair assumptions, however, no one on this forum has the data required to understand the impact regarding that kind of design decision.

-Retired software dev

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I’d say having a world PvP server would be fine.

I hate the idea of world PvP, dueling, etc, but maybe this way we could get all those folks in the same place and not have to hear from them anymore. It kinda reminds me of that abandoned cruise ship with the cannibal rats. They’re happy killing each other, and we don’t have to see them anymore.
I really don’t see what’d be wrong with a server of their own. As long as they don’t turn it on all the servers then it’s fine with me.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I whould like this,those that dont like it dont need to play on it,problem solved

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

WvW is a PvE environment, according to the developer. It’s possible to fight people there, although I’ll grant it’s not FFA because there are factions.

Honestly, I wouldn’t use a PvP FFA server. I am not against one on principle. I am against one for a practical reason.

Major changes would have to be made to the game’s PvE for this server only. Just slapping in some code that makes all players hostile to each other would doubtless have unforeseen consequences, about which people playing there would complain. GW2 PvE is not designed for this game mode, and changing it to fit would involve heavy commitment of resources. As no game developer has infinite resources, I’d rather the existing resources be used on things that matter to me.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Most of my previous time in mmos has been in ffa, full loot “hardcore” pvp games, I love them.

But no, GW2 does not need ffa pvp servers. In fact I can’t think of many games less suited to it than this one.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Oh thought this thread was talking about Spvp stuff~ guess not. Actual full game servers like PvP in Queensdale kinda stuff? Would be unnecessary with WvW around.
I just want GW1 capture pvp like Fort Aspenwood and Deathmatches like Random Arena. Also need more Hats. Tradable Hats.. Need more PvP Modes and More Hats to TF2 the game up. o_o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

It’s fine if we can’t have full open world pvp but they should make more open pvp LS events like they did with the corruption event in BWE 2. They turned an entire open world map into a pvp killing spree. I found that event very addicting but it ended way to soon.
Would be nice to have something like this happen in some open world map for at least 2 weeks where we have 2 huge groups of players battling it out.
Maybe some zombie survival thing where we have zombie players trying to infect people and the survivors fight back.
If they do this it should be in a mid level map away from the new players.

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

If you want open world PvP, come to WvW. There’s DE, resource collection, crafting stations, jumping puzzles and more for those who like a bit of PvE on the side.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

No, they didn’t just “turn on” FFA PvP in the beta. They created “teams” and applied players to those teams (much like the mechanics found in WvW and EotM) on two separate occasions in special instance versions of Plains of Ashford and Metrica Province.

They’ve NEVER had Free-for-All PvP at ANY point, beta or live.

I thought that Southsun Survival activity was Free-For-All PvP. I’ve only done it a couple of times but I don’t remember seeing any allies, at least not until you die and become one of those mists things.

tomlin.8204

I think it was during a stress test, and it wasn’t the typical kind of pvp that we’re (I’m!) talking about here. They basically made it so if you get killed by a player you become one of the Branded, then have to convert other players into Branded by killing them. Things like this are not real pvp, despite the definition of “player versus player” and indeed “free for all” being accurate. I have the same opinion of things like wvw and Southsun Survival – although fun, not real pvp. Not even spvp is real pvp imo :p

Real pvp to me is:

>everyone is standing waiting for maw to spawn
>people are nervous that someone is going to start pking
>seconds before it spawns, a guild rushes in and wipes everyone
>the whole place becomes a bloodbath and no one kills the boss
>people rage and cry about all the items they dropped from their bags
>all the killers now have red names and can be killed/hunted by others
>having a red name gives harsher penalties for dying
>i don’t even want this why am i typing
>think i’ll go to bed, lol

Posted by: MistyWinter.9670

MistyWinter.9670

An open world pvp would be great. Just have the server open warn people when they join. Darktide in Asherons Call is a great example.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Dont see problem having server with that kinda setting,no1 will force you to play on it and if you really want to do a event you can just guest to pve server ;P

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

But only if dungeons are included as PvP zones.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes