GW2 playerbase

GW2 playerbase

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: shinjin.3924

shinjin.3924

Can we know how many players actually play gw2? and by server too how many people there are in this game?

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

;)

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: shinjin.3924

shinjin.3924

From where u get this info?

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

Can we know how many players actually play gw2? and by server too how many people there are in this game?

GW2 uses a megaserver system so we have maps that fill up to a certain number and then overflow. As to how many ppl play gw2 i think gw2 has sold around 6 million copies before it went free to play. So by that you can make an assumption how many play. Another one is based on the HOT sold copies which sold around 300-400k (idk if preorders were in the financial report for Q4) this as a whole makes out for a pretty good number.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

GW2 uses a megaserver system so we have maps that fill up to a certain number and then overflow. As to how many ppl play gw2 i think gw2 has sold around 6 million copies before it went free to play. So by that you can make an assumption how many play. Another one is based on the HOT sold copies which sold around 300-400k (idk if preorders were in the financial report for Q4) this as a whole makes out for a pretty good number.

Account sales and people that actually “play” are two different things. OP needs to specify which he is looking for. HoT copies could be more upgrades than actual entire new accounts. There are a lot of variables here.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

Account sales and people that actually “play” are two different things. OP needs to specify which he is looking for. HoT copies could be more upgrades than actual entire new accounts. There are a lot of variables here.

IDK of I made it clear but by the 300-400k comment i meant if only those upgrades play the game it is still a pretty big playerbase

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

no1 knows
likely to be 50-100k online?
but if it is 50k online, the number of wvwer is really kitten low. lol

so i think around 30k online?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Loosmaster.8263

no1 knows
likely to be 50-100k online?
but if it is 50k online, the number of wvwer is really kitten low. lol

so i think around 30k online?

This…
Is what I would call “actually play” definition. Then start to throw in time slices and what you would call being “online”. That’s what I meant by having a lot of “variables” to the answer.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

Roughly 3.1 million players log in every month. Stated in a recent interview. This is probably the most played mmorpg atm

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Roughly 3.1 million players log in every month. Stated in a recent interview. This is probably the most played mmorpg atm

Wonder if that is accounts or Characters. I have 23 total atm and log in 12 different ones daily to flax farm for our Guild.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

Its 3.1 mil unique accounts

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

and somewhere in the region of 2m. being F2P.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think the real answer and the only one that you can truly say is enough ppl play. Look at games like WS you can only say not enough ppl play it. These ideals are far better then real numbers becuse the numbers changes all the time and tend to be unreliable due to bots and duel accounts.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The numbers are more reliable than people’s subjective opinions on what is and isn’t enough players. Observations are usually far from being reliable as well.

The issue with any hard data isn’t with whether it’s reliable but instead that it’s not detailed enough.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

3.1mil unique account logins a month is solid enough info for anyone. It was stated in an interview by anet and maps always have plenty of players.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

3.1mil unique account logins a month is solid enough info for anyone. It was stated in an interview by anet and maps always have plenty of players.

And when did they stated that?and where?Let me hear it

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

http://fortune.com/2015/11/24/areanet-investing-in-esports/
Right at the bottom of the article you will get your answer. And this is approaching 4 -5 months ago.

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

Right at the bottom of the article you will get your answer. And this is approaching 4 -5 months ago.

but that number is questionable
due to multi account holders, bots and also f2p users who create an account then quit after playing a few days or a week.

i hope we can know the average online count so we can have a better understanding where gw2 is standing at now

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Loosmaster.8263

Wonder if that is accounts or Characters. I have 23 total atm and log in 12 different ones daily to flax farm for our Guild.

If it’s tracked like the old guild influence for logging in, it was per account no matter how many times you logged into different characters.

Edit: Like I said, without knowing exactly how they get that 3.1 million. For instance, say I log on every day for 30 days just to get my daily login reward then leave, more if I have alt accounts. Take that 30 and divide. There are just to many variables for that number, you need a graph breakdown to see what specific data you are looking for.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

(edited by Loosmaster.8263)

GW2 playerbase

Ayrilana.1396

due to multi account holders, bots and also f2p users who create an account then quit after playing a few days or a week.

i hope we can know the average online count so we can have a better understanding where gw2 is standing at now

You call the numbers in the link meaningless for containing F2P accounts that quit after a week, multi account holders, and bots. How would an average online count be any different? It would contain the same things you’re using to discount the previous figures.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Why does it matter so much?

Do you feel that it’s going to change if or not you’re going to continue playing? If that’s the case, then you’ve already made that decision, and are looking for an excuse.

Are you writing some sort of graduate thesis? If so, then there’s better ways of getting information and finding cite-able sources than a forum thread.

This thread feels like a thinly veiled means for doomsayers to ferret more ‘reasons’ to state the sky is falling.

It’s a clear day in my Tyria, and there are certainly enough people adventuring about that my banner is regularly swiped. ;-)

~EW

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you want to see the in game population, log in and see for yourself. Whatever numbers Anet would release, has little influence to your personal perceiption of the population.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

You call the numbers in the link meaningless for containing F2P accounts that quit after a week, multi account holders, and bots. How would an average online count be any different? It would contain the same things you’re using to discount the previous figures.

Ok so you two base your position on your feelings and im going to base mine on these factual numbers regardless of your opinion on them. Gw2 is the healthiest mmorpg right now and for the forseeable future and all you have to do is log into maps and join events to see for yourself.

GW2 playerbase

Ayrilana.1396

Ok so you two base your position on your feelings and im going to base mine on these factual numbers regardless of your opinion on them. Gw2 is the healthiest mmorpg right now and for the forseeable future and all you have to do is log into maps and join events to see for yourself.

Respond to the wrong poster?

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

If GW2 is so zomg-wow with it’s numbers, someone is making a kitten-ton of hard cash, because it sure isn’t being re-invested into the game.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

it is simple, very simple
the millions of account logon monthly seems really impressive on paper, truly impressive

however, by looking at the actual average online count
you reduce the possibilities of multiple logons from the same users and give a better insights of the number of active users who play multiple hours instead of simply logon and then logoff.

of course, when im talking about average online count, im not talking about by monthly, im talking about by hours. a real time online count will be even more awesome.

the only reasons why media choose to use number of people by monthly is just purely to impress people with big numbers. is a marketing thing

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Ayrilana.1396

the millions of account logon monthly seems really impressive on paper, truly impressive

you reduce the possibilities of multiple logons from the same users and give a better insights of the number of active users who play multiple hours instead of simply logon and then logoff.

of course, when im talking about average online count, im not talking about by monthly, im talking about by hours. a real time online count will be even more awesome.

the only reasons why media choose to use number of people by monthly is just purely to impress people with big numbers. is a marketing thing

You can’t do it by hours as that fluctuates by time of day. The lowest you can go is daily.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The numbers are more reliable than people’s subjective opinions on what is and isn’t enough players. Observations are usually far from being reliable as well.

The issue with any hard data isn’t with whether it’s reliable but instead that it’s not detailed enough.

That good at all but this is something for purely from the point of view of a player or a person. We are not stock holders for the most part so hard numbers are kind of pointless its more on the lines of what “feels” like enough players. You could even make the point of having too many players at times.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

Nono i meant both of you should fully accept any form of account numbers submitted by anet because its the closest we will get to factual reality. It isnt clear what your stance on this is.

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

3.1 million monthly active UNIQUE accounts log in. The argument that accounts can log in once and never again can be made but it eliminates any argument against one account logging in multiple times. Im one of those 3.1 million. Not 300 of them cause i logged in 300 times.

GW2 playerbase

Ayrilana.1396

Nono i meant both of you should fully accept any form of account numbers submitted by anet because its the closest we will get to factual reality. It isnt clear what your stance on this is.

I wasn’t discounting any numbers released from Anet though.

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

I wasn’t discounting any numbers released from Anet though.

Good. Im excited gw2 is the biggest mmorpg at the moment. Its about time wow takes a seat for the crappy game it truely is. The social aspect of it is the only reason its popularity went where it did. Gw2 has amazing gameplay aspects that are completely unique and i want it to grow. Im having a ton of fun playing with people in map meta events.

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

3.1 million monthly active UNIQUE accounts log in. The argument that accounts can log in once and never again can be made but it eliminates any argument against one account logging in multiple times. Im one of those 3.1 million. Not 300 of them cause i logged in 300 times.

you don’t seems to get it
when im talking about multiple logons, im talking about a user logging on multiple accounts

maybe u shld read the previous posts instead of posting for the sake of posting?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

I dont see what you get trying to devalue their accomplishment. Anet deserves the popularity and kudos. They earned it. Your bias doesnt change the numbers and its impressive. Who the heck makes multiple accounts just to make them. Maps are overloaded with people. My anecdotal evidence supports their claims.

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

I dont see what you get trying to devalue their accomplishment. Anet deserves the popularity and kudos. They earned it. Your bias doesnt change the numbers and its impressive. Who the heck makes multiple accounts just to make them. Maps are overloaded with people. My anecdotal evidence supports their claims.

digressing from the topic then going back to the topic…ermmm

no1 makes multiple accounts just to make them
however, that doesnt mean a person cannot have multiple accounts to do multiple dailies or multiple harvest/chopping/mining or on different servers to wvw with and so on. in fact, i know people who even have three accounts.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

Your anecdotal evidence says that to you. But without hard facts or anet releases my stance on this matter is more grounded. I know noone who uses multiple accounts and the ingame maps are always loaded with people. Just accept the games popularity and enjoy it. Or hate it and dont play

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

Your anecdotal evidence says that to you. But without hard facts or anet releases my stance on this matter is more grounded. I know noone who uses multiple accounts and the ingame maps are always loaded with people. Just accept the games popularity and enjoy it. Or hate it and dont play

oh, you mean by forcing people to accept your words while twisting their words? is that so? i see, that is so….so that what it is…

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

It’s just Colin. I’m just one of his puppet accounts try to create controversy to boost sales.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

oh, you mean by forcing people to accept your words while twisting their words? is that so? i see, that is so….so that what it is…

Youre really misunderstanding my rhetoric. You can have your opinion. Your opinion could be right. Im saying mine is more logical because it doesnt base itself on personal experiences. And more players is a good thing. Life is too short to always be cynical. Look at 3.1 mil as a positive thing. If you just want anet to fail then dont bother debating with me because that is pointless

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

The only relevant information Anet has released about it’s playerbase is here.

According to that blog post, at the peak of the games popularity there were 460k concurrent players.

The player population has obviously decreased since then (ie. megaservers). If I were to guess, GW2 might be as popular as TF2 is right now, and that game has around 50k peak concurrent users most days according to steam stats.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Morgan.5170

Morgan.5170

What is this? Is this current server population? If it is, it would put GW2 at 750k to 1.5 million currently in game.

If it’s not, then what is it?

Attachments:

GW2 playerbase

Ayrilana.1396

What is this? Is this current server population? If it is, it would put GW2 at 750k to 1.5 million currently in game.

If it’s not, then what is it?

The build.

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

Youre really misunderstanding my rhetoric. You can have your opinion. Your opinion could be right. Im saying mine is more logical because it doesnt base itself on personal experiences. And more players is a good thing. Life is too short to always be cynical. Look at 3.1 mil as a positive thing. If you just want anet to fail then dont bother debating with me because that is pointless

………………….speechless
do you know what is rhetoric?
cynical about what? do you know what is cynical?

u know, if u can’t use the words correctly, don’t use it.

3.1m users are being discussed in a objective manner but if you want to defend for the sake of defending while using some sophomoric reasoning and usage of words, sure, go ahead and all the best doing so.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

According to that blog post, at the peak of the games popularity there were 460k concurrent players.

The player population has obviously decreased since then (ie. megaservers). If I were to guess, GW2 might be as popular as TF2 is right now, and that game has around 50k peak concurrent users most days according to steam stats.

The reason this statement recently has value is because regardless how the number 3.1 million in monthly unique account logins is interpreted, its growing at a very steady rate which is exactly what anet is after. If people want an update on this games playerbase then this release 4 months ago that i just ran into a week ago is very relevant and i would want to hear about it.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: Piejoe.7268

Piejoe.7268

The reason this statement recently has value is because regardless how the number 3.1 million in monthly unique account logins is interpreted, its growing at a very steady rate which is exactly what anet is after. If people want an update on this games playerbase then this release 4 months ago that i just ran into a week ago is very relevant and i would want to hear about it.

Where does it say it is growing at a steady state? You know that the playerbase was highest during launch and had a little peak again after it went f2p together with the HoT launch? After the release of HoT, people would quit one by one again, as would a large portion of the f2p players. And don’t forget all the people that just log in once per day just to collect the daily reward… because this game rewards you for not playing.

GW2 playerbase

Aarean.5398

The nature of mmos are ups and downs but the fact that anet released any information on their userbase is a sign of strength. Blizzard couldnt keep projecting strength with sub numbers anymore so they quit that game. Anet obviously had struggling numbers around 2013-2015 but they pulled it together and got them up. We wouldnt be having this discussion if they hadnt done something right and had a generally healthy view of the game. They didnt have to post numbers on their gamewide base during the pvp article that it was mentioned in. They could of easily rehashed their claim that pvp participation has jumped by a large margin. The most important thing here is passing the information along. I would of liked to know this so I passed it on to someone who didnt as well.

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Did Shadow Behemoth for Queensdale events daily today and I announced it in chat. Several people didn’t even know where it was and asked for a waypoint. I don’t doubt people are leaving as they get bored, but there’s a decent stream of new players constantly coming in as well.

GW2 playerbase

SkyShroud.2865

anet didn’t provide the numbers
did you even read the article at all?
“SuperData Research CEO Joost van Dreunen”

sophomoric indeed

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

GW2 playerbase

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Bingo.

The only stat that accurate tracks player population is concurrent users. Anything else is moot.