GW2 should not allow you to be in multiple guilds IMO

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sicktanick.4369

Sicktanick.4369

Everything that has happened of late and what they are doing to small guilds and how people are basically being forced into larger ones for new content comes down to one simple thing that was INCREDIBLY EASY to avoid…

Why the kitten devs decided to let multi guilding in the first place…ive seen a few posts but its always “they target small guilds” them not liking small guilds or w.e their reasoning is, isn’t the issue. Am I one of the few that actually liked the way guilds worked in the first one? My vote change the name from guild wars into something completely different…cuz guilds literally do not matter in this game…no GvG, no halls, i guess u can go into tournament play with ur guildies? But im still baffled by the fact that they actually let you join more than one guild..feel free to rage at me

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

I’ll just say this: the “Guild Wars” in Guild Wars 2 comes from its lore, and not what the core of the game is actually about.

Sicktanick.4369

Lol what? Did you even play the first game? So you are basically saying they made a completely different game and slapped the guild wars title on it…..lol

Sounds like D3 and I hope it goes down that road lol

Heijincks.9267

Lol what? Did you even play the first game? So you are basically saying they made a completely different game and slapped the guild wars title on it…..lol

So you’re saying the “Guild Wars” in Guild Wars 2 did not come from the lore of Guild Wars?

Sicktanick.4369

and btw the only thing that fits in guilds and lore in this game is destinys edge…and i guess u could called whispers, priory, and vigil a guild…..longshot IMO

Heijincks.9267

and btw the only thing that fits in guilds and lore in this game is destinys edge…and i guess u could called whispers, priory, and vigil a guild…..longshot IMO

That’s not where the name comes from however.

Sicktanick.4369

Explain to me…cuz apparently I missed something here…besides being able to be in a guild…destinys edge being a guild that even fits in…Guild Wars 1(the good one) had tons of things that went with the idea of guilds… I guess im confused on why multi guilding, and the only thing that is actually a guild specific thing is the missions that ONLY large guilds can do in a time frame that anyone cares about

Sicktanick.4369

ok so again…u are saying the only reason it is called guild wars 2 is because of the first game called guild wars…u dont see an issue with this? lol…ima go make a soccer game and call it call of duty i mean it follows the same basic guidelines one team against another…GENIUS!

Heijincks.9267

Explain to me…cuz apparently I missed something here…besides being able to be in a guild…destinys edge being a guild that even fits in…Guild Wars 1(the good one) had tons of things that went with the idea of guilds… I guess im confused on why multi guilding, and the only thing that is actually a guild specific thing is the missions that ONLY large guilds can do in a time frame that anyone cares about

One of the biggest part of the Guild Wars lore started from something called the “Guild Wars” which marked the beginning of the decline for humanity (Guild Wars speaking). The events that followed it (the Searing, the Cataclysm) was an indirect result of these guild wars.

That’s the lore in which the title of the game is based on. Guild Wars 2 is an extension of that, and since it’s meant to be a sequel not for player guild reasons, why shouldn’t it be called Guild Wars 2?

Sicktanick.4369

More people post on this…legitimately trying to figure out if I’m an idiot or what

Sicktanick.4369

One of the biggest part of the Guild Wars lore started from something called the “Guild Wars” which marked the beginning of the decline for humanity (Guild Wars speaking). The events that followed it (the Searing, the Cataclysm) was an indirect result of these guild wars.

That’s the lore in which the title of the game is based on. Guild Wars 2 is an extension of that, and since it’s meant to be a sequel not for player guild reasons why shouldn’t it be called Guild Wars 2?

Ok now take the first game…tied into this, guilds mattered to people, rankings for guilds, guild halls that people took pride in during the start….what about guild wars 2 makes it an extension besides some similiar faces…a reference or 2 and the fact that you can join a guild…which is in every MMO its not unique at all.

Sicktanick.4369

You are also taking one thing I said about changing the title…and ignoring what the actual post was about

Heijincks.9267

You are also taking one thing I said about changing the title…and ignoring what the actual post was about

Because I don’t have anything I felt that needed to be objected to regarding that part. Well actually I do, but I didn’t think it needed to be addressed because it wasn’t an issue that felt relevant.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

Sicktanick.4369

I don’t think GW2 was marketed with guild oriented activities in mind, and as far as the title was concerned, it simply symbolizes the game as a sequel to Guild Wars.

Ok, and im not saying you are wrong…I just dont see why this isnt a bigger issue coming up…i mean most of the problems comes from this at its core

Posted by: MaxLothor.3568

MaxLothor.3568

Multiple guilds in my opinion is one of the best features of GW2. I run a 450 member guild that is primarily a PvE guild. I have no issue with members representing other guilds as well. A larger percent actively represent the guild. Allowing multiple guilds lets people to join other guilds that may be focused WvW or SPvP while still staying part of my PvE focused guild. If you are running a guild people want to be part of they will stay and represent.

Guilds are also account bound not character bound like most other MMO. In other games people could be playing with other guilds you just would not know about it because they are doing it from a different toon. This also stops having huge roster of players full of alts and not actually different people. So from my point of view the way its set up fixes some issues, not cause them.

Now if they could add a last online/last representing so we didn’t need to manually keep track of it I would be happy.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

More people post on this…legitimately trying to figure out if I’m an idiot or what

You’re an idiot

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually to most people in Guild Wars 1, guilds didn’t matter either. Not as much as you think. They very much DID matter to the guilds who participated in GvG battles, but that wasn’t the majority of guilds.

If you stood around in Kamadan you’d inevitably here someone saying, coming join my guild, first five who join are officers. Yeah that works. This guy cares about who runs his guild.

Guild Wars 1 had tons of players and tons of guilds. Some guilds were very serious PvP guilds, some guilds were social.

Now I belonged to a big alliance in Guild Wars 1 called Mara, which has about 7 or 8 guilds in it. People in the alliance sometimes changed guilds, but were still in the same alliance. Frankly, I think Guild Wars 2 should have alliances. It would make guild missions easier for smaller guilds. It would also provide the infrastructure for them to communicate.

The thing is, in Guild Wars 1, there were different types of guilds. Guilds in GvG had reason to be in a guild. In Guild Wars 2 there are different types of Guilds. People who WvW in this game really do have reason to be in a guild. So it’s not much different.

All the other types of guilds tend to be geared to different things. My guild is very important to me, but I still belong to 4 others

And yes, the name Guild Wars was about a historic event called the Guild Wars, which left the human kingdoms so weakened that it allowed the charr to destroy Ascalon and march on the Southern kingdoms. If the Guild Wars hasn’t been fought, Adelburn would have allied with Kryta and the Charr would never have gotten anywhere.

Sicktanick.4369

You must of came in to guild wars really late…guilds were a huge thing in GW1, and it wasnt just the history….Luxon kurzick then the history etc was all a huge part of the first game…factions was nearly dedicated to two different guild factions

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I played GW for years and have never joined a guild. I will play GW2 for years and will, most likely, never join a guild.

I only wish there were a way to completely block all guild invite spam and whispers.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

Well everyone in my guild is always representing another guild which sorta makes being in my guild pointless. The guilds in gw1 atleast provided a community where you could form relationships with other players and help each other to get stuff done.

Posted by: MaxLothor.3568

MaxLothor.3568

Well everyone in my guild is always representing another guild which sorta makes being in my guild pointless. The guilds in gw1 atleast provided a community where you could form relationships with other players and help each other to get stuff done.

So why do you not kick the inactive/non-representing members & find people who want to be part of your guild? There are a lot of people that do not want to be part of a large guild and are looking for smaller guild.

It’s part of the guild leaders job to promote what the guild is about, give people a reason to represent & be part of the guild.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I’ll just say this: the “Guild Wars” in Guild Wars 2 comes from its lore, and not what the core of the game is actually about.

Ya I hear Halls was mostly dominated by groups of PUG’s fighting one another and I have no idea what GvG is supposed to be.

The Guild Wars as far as the lore is concerned is a silly, pointless piece of trivia that had almost no impact on the story of the game (much like how the lore of GW1 has little impact on GW2).

Guilds played a major role in the game and you pretty much had no chance at high coordinated pvp without one.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Heijincks.9267

Ya I hear Halls was mostly dominated by groups of PUG’s fighting one another and I have no idea what GvG is supposed to be.

The Guild Wars as far as the lore is concerned is a silly, pointless piece of trivia that had almost no impact on the story of the game (much like how the lore of GW1 has little impact on GW2).

Guilds played a major role in the game and you pretty much had no chance at high coordinated pvp without one.

Yet, that very piece of “insignificant” lore was entirely why Anet called the game “Guild Wars”. That’s all I’m saying.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

And yes, the name Guild Wars was about a historic event called the Guild Wars, which left the human kingdoms so weakened that it allowed the charr to destroy Ascalon and march on the Southern kingdoms. If the Guild Wars hasn’t been fought, Adelburn would have allied with Kryta and the Charr would never have gotten anywhere.

Which you actually never hear about. The name originated with the first game, which was designed by a company called Arena Net and had PvP as the end game. The highest form of PvP was GvG or Guild vs. Guild. So, no matter what the devs say now to cover the fact that GvG is no longer a part of Guild Wars. Guild vs. Guild was a much larger part of Guild Wars 1 than any silly lore than was barely included in the game.

Logical always prevails Vayne.

And, yes, Guilds were a much bigger part of GW1 than they are in GW2.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Devs have reiterated this point in post..after post.. after post…. It is from LORE.

Attachments:

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

From a non-player of GW1, how do you think “Guild Wars” would sound? People always say “lore this, lore that” in defense of the title, but Anet should know what the title implies to people who are entirely foreign to the game. It denotes wars among guilds, and it is totally understandable that people are upset by the lack of competitive guild activities which the title ironically seems to suggest.

Saying it is from “lore” sounds more like a rationalization to me.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

clay.7849

Devs have reiterated this point in post..after post.. after post…. It is from LORE.

Because to say otherwise would be to point out that guild are worthless in GW2. So, yea, they are covering their kitten

Face it, this game was made to capitalize on the success of GW1 and make some quick money. The only reason they kept the name was because the name would sell better than something different.

Lore really has nothing to do with it.

Geotherma.2395

The lore transfers into this game, hence the “2” in the title. However it isn’t a clone of the first because they didn’t want people to simply leave GW1 for the “better version”. Much like FFXIV didn’t want to replace FFXI.

On multiple guilds-
In FFXI you could have several linkshells, and they had specific purposes. Maybe you had a social, event, group linkshell stack. And you participated in each on your own time. Well Guilds work the same, most people have 2-3 for this exact reason. Also it allows for player to experience creating a guild, maybe you have a friend who wants to be a dungeon leader. Why does he have to leave the social guild for something that isn’t happening 100% of the time?

In my guild we have people whos focus is pve, pvp, wvw etc. Some of them even have guilds they rep for certain things. But they come back because we are their home. This doesn’t mean they do those things solely with those guilds either. It just allows for variation in play, and the ability to broaden our social links to areas where other players may be interested.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

The thing I found the most annoying at the moment are guilds that require “24/7 representation” which ultimately detracts from the concept of multi-guilding altogether. I wish influence is shared equally among the guilds you have joined (probably scale the amount to minimize exploits) or something.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Geotherma.2395

Because to say otherwise would be to point out that guild are worthless in GW2. So, yea, they are covering their kitten

Face it, this game was made to capitalize on the success of GW1 and make some quick money. The only reason they kept the name was because the name would sell better than something different.

Lore really has nothing to do with it.

Would you apply this to anything else? Would you say Guild Wars 1 was named as such even though the fact is that many devs and designers had a part in World of Warcraft? They build up their name, they realized something worked and they continued on with it. This is a huge practice among publishers and develpers. often times publishers who even hear a dev mention “new idea” instantly dismiss it. Because they know what has sold is what should sell. Is this always true or good? Nope. It’s a great idea to step away from the norm and be different. Look at portal and some other niche type games. Look at it on paper and tell me that it sounded like a good idea. These people didn’t just profit, they excelled at what they had done. Plenty of other examples: Minecraft, the original Final Fantasy series, and so many more I’d actually have to look up. They (Arenanet) took a safe route but at the same time they learned from mistakes and fixed those. Then added their own finesse to the game and style.

So you may not have your “guild wars” quite yet. Big deal. They will capitalize on what has worked and continue to hopefully surprise us with things never done before. Check out metrics in gaming, it is interesting stuff to learn. The simplest thing i can say about them is that they only measure how well something worked not how well it will work. So that’s what they go off of, too many risks too many changes can be a bad thing. Balancing risk with cost and time is never easy but don’t expect GW2 to become an HD copy of GW1. It simply won’t happen. But this doesn’t rule out the fact that they could add features you have seen and loved before.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

clay.7849

The thing I found the most annoying at the moment are guilds that require “24/7 representation” which ultimately detracts from the concept of multi-guilding altogether. I wish influence is shared equally among the guilds you have joined (probably scale the amount to minimize exploits) or something.

Just one more, of many, poorly implemented designs so that the game could be released in time to stop NCSoft’s plummeting stock prices.

clay.7849

Would you apply this to anything else? Would you say Guild Wars 1 was named as such even though the fact is that many devs and designers had a part in World of Warcraft? They build up their name, they realized something worked and they continued on with it. This is a huge practice among publishers and develpers. often times publishers who even hear a dev mention “new idea” instantly dismiss it. Because they know what has sold is what should sell. Is this always true or good? Nope. It’s a great idea to step away from the norm and be different. Look at portal and some other niche type games. Look at it on paper and tell me that it sounded like a good idea. These people didn’t just profit, they excelled at what they had done. Plenty of other examples: Minecraft, the original Final Fantasy series, and so many more I’d actually have to look up. They (Arenanet) took a safe route but at the same time they learned from mistakes and fixed those. Then added their own finesse to the game and style.

Except that GW1 was a success and it was different. GW2 is just a really bad WoW clone with a couple new twists and really inferior content. Sadly, they took a step backwards, not forward.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Allowing an account to be in multiple guilds in much better than forcing every single one of your characters to be in a single guild. It’s still terrible compared to a character based guild system, which allows for more freedom.

For example, I usually run with a main guild but play a specific alt with specific friends. On that alt, I don’t want to be bothered by the main guild – pretend I’m not even online and it doesn’t exist. GW1 didn’t give you that option. GW2 does, but to be hidden, you have to deal with the side effect of not seeing guild chat, making the guild pointless.

The only bonuses an account based multi guild system has over a character based one is that you can invite your own alts and easily access the guild without having to change characters.

Geotherma.2395

Except that GW1 was a success and it was different. GW2 is just a really bad WoW clone with a couple new twists and really inferior content. Sadly, they took a step backwards, not forward.

I think that is an opinion though. One could argue that any game made after the launch of WoW is a WoW clone. But it would be an assumption, an incorrect one. They are not trying to be WoW. By now developers and publishers should have learned that trying to be a clone will only result in failure. WoW is a successful game, whether it is a standard for all MMO’s remains to be seen. But I highly doubt any designer, developer, publisher sets out to make or sell a game that mimics blizzards piece of the pie. Instead, smart companies are working around Blizzard, to make games that are amazing while stepping away from the norms of MMORPG’s. I could list the vast differences on teh two games but i won’t. A simple google or youtube video would be just as fruitless to listen to for those who are stuck in one opinion. Neither game is perfect, all games have flaws, but to degrade the incredible steps forward Arenanet has made is just silly. And down right rude. Like comparing a 68 Corvette to a Monster truck. Two entirely different roads these people are traveling, whether or not people can see that is a different story.

And an aside- For a “bad game” that has become the fastest selling MMO of all time, it isn’t doing too bad. Even if “some” people consider it a WoW clone.

clay.7849

And an aside- For a “bad game” that has become the fastest selling MMO of all time, it isn’t doing too bad. Even if “some” people consider it a WoW clone.

Still, for all the people that said they needed to make it less like GW1 to really be profitable, it hasn’t been as profitable as the entire GW1 franchise yet. So, until then…

clay.7849

Neither game is perfect, all games have flaws, but to degrade the incredible steps forward Arenanet has made is just silly. And down right rude.

Except, they took a philosophy of change and innovation and went back on their word and took on a new philosophy of profit and poor design.

Geotherma.2395

Still, for all the people that said they needed to make it less like GW1 to really be profitable, it hasn’t been as profitable as the entire GW1 franchise yet. So, until then…

Comparing a 7 year old game to a 7 month ish old game is a little silly though, can’t you agree?

Geotherma.2395

Neither game is perfect, all games have flaws, but to degrade the incredible steps forward Arenanet has made is just silly. And down right rude.

Except, they took a philosophy of change and innovation and went back on their word and took on a new philosophy of profit and poor design.

Changing an initial design =/= giving up or killing the game. If you are referring to the gem store, very little there is even worth getting for anything but fun factor or convenience. Clearly they are one of the few companies not rushing to free to play like everyone else. But to keep that momentum up they need to balance profit and content and time. Some people make it seem as though that task is as simple as making chocolate milk. Well it isn’t. It takes time, and pre production can only go so far. Gamers themselves change and decide the fate of the game. Without us there is no game, but because of us sometimes changes need to be made. We have to understand that fact whether or not we like it or the change itself. you can criticize every action they take or look at it as a whole. Focusing on one factor of anything leaves so much room for doubt, ignorance, and lack of understanding. Constructive feedback, suggestions, additions are what they look to find in their gamers. We are at the heart and core of the game, and they get that. You want something to change? Fight for it, don’t just argue it away and throw anger at those who actually care about bringing a quality product. Publishers aside, Arenanet is doing what it can with what it has. And that is the best they can offer.

clay.7849

Comparing a 7 year old game to a 7 month ish old game is a little silly though, can’t you agree?

Not really, considering the fact that every GW2 apologist makes the argument that a game like GW1 wouldn’t be able to survive in today’s market. Seems like just as silly of a statement to me.

Sorry, you are having decent discourse and I’m really acting like the jerk here. Please forgive me. I just think that the whole things is silly. GW1 wasn’t even an MMO and yet, they made GW2 more like the traditional MMO and less like the exciting, team oriented combat game that GW1 was and excelled at. If the two were even close to being similar, I would be fine. But, they aren’t, and I feel duped as a consumer. That is all.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Not really, considering the fact that every GW2 apologist makes the argument that a game like GW1 wouldn’t be able to survive in today’s market. Seems like just as silly of a statement to me.

Sorry, you are having decent discourse and I’m really acting like the jerk here. Please forgive me. I just think that the whole things is silly. GW1 wasn’t even an MMO and yet, they made GW2 more like the traditional MMO and less like the exciting, team oriented combat game that GW1 was and excelled at. If the two were even close to being similar, I would be fine. But, they aren’t, and I feel duped as a consumer. That is all.

They didn’t state anywhere that it was going to be a team oriented game. They did state however that it was going to be more solo oriented. Based on that statement alone you should realize that it is not going to be the same as GW1. Humans tend to blame others when in reality it is themselves that caused it. You duped yourself into thinking that game is something when it is clearly not.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

clay.7849

They didn’t state anywhere that it was going to be a team oriented game. They did state however that it was going to be more solo oriented. Based on that statement alone you should realize that it is not going to be the same as GW1. Humans tend to blame others when in reality it is themselves that caused it. You duped yourself into thinking that game is something when it is clearly not.

Sorry, I guess I don’t just gobble up everything that the devs say, I bought the game on the premise it would be even a sliver like GW1. Hell, the only thing I remember is the manifesto… If you love GW1 yadda yadda.

Also, I thought this was an MMO. If they wanted to make a single player game, they could have made GW2 The Single Player Game.

Yes, I duped myself into thinking that the sequel to a game with the same name would be similar to that game. You’re right. Instead, I got suckered in by the cash grab from NCSoft.

Suddenflame.2601

Sorry, I guess I don’t just gobble up everything that the devs say, I bought the game on the premise it would be even a sliver like GW1. Hell, the only thing I remember is the manifesto… If you love GW1 yadda yadda.

Also, I thought this was an MMO. If they wanted to make a single player game, they could have made GW2 The Single Player Game.

Yes, I duped myself into thinking that the sequel to a game with the same name would be similar to that game. You’re right. Instead, I got suckered in by the cash grab from NCSoft.

Cash grab? At what point must you spend money other then the purchase to actually play? GW1 is not considered an MMO while GW2 is. Your definition of MMO is flawed a bit. Another aspect that your forgetting how long was it before many of the features in GW1 were actually put into the game. Far as I am aware many of the features did not exist for a long period of time after launch. You can not think a game will have all its end game features at the start of the game.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

clay.7849

Cash grab? At what point must you spend money other then the purchase to actually play? GW1 is not considered an MMO while GW2 is. Your definition of MMO is flawed a bit. Another aspect that your forgetting how long was it before many of the features in GW1 were actually put into the game. Far as I am aware many of the features did not exist for a long period of time after launch. You can not think a game will have all its end game features at the start of the game.

Um, that’s what I said. GW1 wasn’t even an MMO, yet here we are, GW2 is an MMO. Not even the same kind of game. Also, the cash grab is the purchase of the game silly. The whole reason this game sold anything near what it did was because of GW1’s success.

And, I don’t know what features you’re talking about with GW1, but I’m pretty sure the skill system, the classes and the missions were in place in Prophecies at launch. Don’t quote me on that, I may have to do some research first. Oh, and I think Tombs, RA and GvG were available too. Of course, this is all considering that GW1 didn’t have year and years of development under their belt after making an already successful game. So, yea, I think I can be critical of that too. FoW and UW were in GW1 at launch as well, right? I mean, I played those for years after the other expansions they were that good.

So far, I fail to see any real point you are making here, please help me.

Posted by: Eldiora.5836

Eldiora.5836

At first when I read about the multiple guild system, I was really happy. It sounded simply awesome. You would be able to have more than 1 guild which means my Guild that focuses on pve and some wvw but doesnt really do Spvp. I could still be with them and then just join a guild that wants to do Spvp alot.

However the system went from being awesome to a nightmare.

I tought I would get 2 chat channels for both guilds. But no you need to represent one of them. This was the first huge mistake they made when designing this system. It stops me from communicating with my guildmates.

Ok you can switch easily so you might think it not so bad. But then there is the small issue of the new guild content which requires a HUGE amount of Guildpoints which require representation.

So now nearly every guild out there requires you to represent 24/7 and if you do not you get kicked out. Death of small good guilds in favor of the humongous 500 man guilds.
I am still in my small nice guild but I see maybe 1-2 people at all. I wish I could have another bigger guild while nobody is online in my guild. But those guilds always require you to represent 24/7 which sucks.

Suddenflame.2601

Um, that’s what I said. GW1 wasn’t even an MMO, yet here we are, GW2 is an MMO. Not even the same kind of game. Also, the cash grab is the purchase of the game silly. The whole reason this game sold anything near what it did was because of GW1’s success.

And, I don’t know what features you’re talking about with GW1, but I’m pretty sure the skill system, the classes and the missions were in place in Prophecies at launch. Don’t quote me on that, I may have to do some research first. Oh, and I think Tombs, RA and GvG were available too. Of course, this is all considering that GW1 didn’t have year and years of development under their belt after making an already successful game. So, yea, I think I can be critical of that too. FoW and UW were in GW1 at launch as well, right? I mean, I played those for years after the other expansions they were that good.

So far, I fail to see any real point you are making here, please help me.

Most of those features you are talking about was not in at launch. The skill system at launch as well had not so many skills. Look up core skills and that is what it launched with. Not many at all and most of them crap. Many aspects of GW1 that you like did not appear until later on. Also, the team for GW2 is much larger than GW1 and a lot more code.

If you know anything about programming you would know that GW1 code is a hell lot easier than GW2 is. Due to difficulty in coding it becomes slower and more time consuming meaning overall less content in same development cycle.

Tombs was not in at launch it was added much later on. I can not find when UW and FoW were placed due to the records of wiki only going back to April 2007 meaning there is 2 years there that they could have been added. From earliest records that I could find there is no indication that UW or FoW were included in Prophecies as they are never mentioned. GvG was included same with Heroes Ascent and Random Arenas.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

At first when I read about the multiple guild system, I was really happy. It sounded simply awesome. You would be able to have more than 1 guild which means my Guild that focuses on pve and some wvw but doesnt really do Spvp. I could still be with them and then just join a guild that wants to do Spvp alot.

However the system went from being awesome to a nightmare.

I tought I would get 2 chat channels for both guilds. But no you need to represent one of them. This was the first huge mistake they made when designing this system. It stops me from communicating with my guildmates.

Ok you can switch easily so you might think it not so bad. But then there is the small issue of the new guild content which requires a HUGE amount of Guildpoints which require representation.

So now nearly every guild out there requires you to represent 24/7 and if you do not you get kicked out. Death of small good guilds in favor of the humongous 500 man guilds.
I am still in my small nice guild but I see maybe 1-2 people at all. I wish I could have another bigger guild while nobody is online in my guild. But those guilds always require you to represent 24/7 which sucks.

I am within a large guild that does not force a 24/7 representation. They exist you just need to find them.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Geotherma.2395

I completely understand. I’m by no means some white knight or fan boy saying they are the best thing evarr. I believe publishers take much away from developers and designers, one of the worst of those things is “time”. But now it is too late to shut down and rework concepts that didn’t work well. And the game is already made, so instead of installing within the game they are forced to add on top. One thing i often wonder is how different this game would be had Arenanet have gotten the 60+m to create it solely by themselves without the restrictions of a big wig publisher.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

This is far from a wow clone. That game has better dungeons, combat system and you actually get rewarded for playing and you can farm :-). Don’t insult Wow by comparing this game to it.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

clay.7849

I completely understand. I’m by no means some white knight or fan boy saying they are the best thing evarr. I believe publishers take much away from developers and designers, one of the worst of those things is “time”. But now it is too late to shut down and rework concepts that didn’t work well. And the game is already made, so instead of installing within the game they are forced to add on top. One thing i often wonder is how different this game would be had Arenanet have gotten the 60+m to create it solely by themselves without the restrictions of a big wig publisher.

I agree. I think NCSoft did a lot to ruin this game’s potential. I just look at things like today’s patch and wonder, “why?” Anyways, I’m done ranting. Please go about the thread as normal.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Which you actually never hear about. The name originated with the first game, which was designed by a company called Arena Net and had PvP as the end game. The highest form of PvP was GvG or Guild vs. Guild. So, no matter what the devs say now to cover the fact that GvG is no longer a part of Guild Wars. Guild vs. Guild was a much larger part of Guild Wars 1 than any silly lore than was barely included in the game.

Logical always prevails Vayne.

And, yes, Guilds were a much bigger part of GW1 than they are in GW2.

You hear about it in the one CGI trailer they made for Guild Wars though. It’s the first line of the trailer. It’s Devona talking, and she says, “When I was young, my father fought in the Guild Wars.”

I"m sure you can still look it up on line. It was also in the game’s manual, when you read about the history and the background.

I realize, of course, that not everyone reads the game manuals.