GW2 to WOW but gw2 for every!!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Storm Phoenix.1804

Storm Phoenix.1804

ok so i’ve been playing guild wars 2 for about a year and it was my first MMO so too my question I was think of starting to playing (and most likely stop playing) WOW i was wondering what (if any) problems would i faces game difference wise

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, a perusal of the WoW forums would answer your queries.

Good luck.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

And you can test up to lvl 20 for free so try before you buy.

Posted by: Storm Phoenix.1804

Storm Phoenix.1804

ok thanks XD w.w xD <o.o> o.o

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

It is definitely a different kind of game, you can try up to 20 for free, with a ton of character slots so you can try every class as well.

The problem is that they have revamped alot of the lower level zones several times over making them more entertaining. Once you get to 60-80 you will start feeling the slog, it is just slow. Unless slow is what you are looking for that is, then it may be up your alley.

I can’t stand the PvP though personally, gear based and clear cut unbalance with some classes….although we are starting to see that here in GW2 as well.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Well it’s a huge difference. Gw2 is more of a casual game, and the pvp in this game is far better and more even.

WoW is more of a choire, there’s so much work to be done, all the time. To sum it up, you grind to get the best gear or mounts, to be able to grind better gear in order to grind in the upcoming expansion.

But there’s also so many dead zones in WoW, the only place you really see people is in major cities. Tab targeting.

The only thing i like about WoW now that WAR is gone, is my healer. Yeah i like the holy trinity

Posted by: Rod.3087

Rod.3087

do NOT play WoW.

I’m a 4-year WoW vet, i pved for 1 year, and pvped for all 4 years i played WoW.

I ranked the #11th rogue in the RBG ladder for WSeason1, hero of the alliance (highest title/achievement in pvp possible) for battleground, etc on both rogue and monk.

the game is BUGGY, people BOT like hardcore bot just search some of the issues Honorbuddy has with wow and you’ll see. If you want to win competitively, you will fight a TON of bots or teams with bots, even in PvE ladders the other teams script/bot/kickbot etc it’s a complete JOKE.

$15/month for cartoony design too not worth it man seriously. i am also guild master of a guild with 400 ppl on it i’ve been trying super hard to get all my friends and high ranking captains and team mates to transfer to gw2 but they dont like gw2 apparently cuz it’s too high skill cap -_-

so there you have it. wanna cheat pay 40 bucks a month to be a bot and rule the game, be my guest. but should you take that route, DISHONOR in my book.

do NOT play wow.

my wow rogue:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khaz-modan/R%C3%B8d/

my wow monk:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khaz-modan/Poel/simple

don’t play that game

Posted by: ferdi.1452

ferdi.1452

I wouldn’t do it. Low level zones are empty. Leveling is boring as hell and takes forever. I still have some friends that play it but they are hardcore pvpers.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I had fun with WoW. But I had 5 or 6 irl friends that played it also, and they all levelled characters with me, so it was fun.

Another thing, no one mentioned, you do not have down scaling in WoW(didn’t last time I played, which was a very long time ago) so once you are over levelled for a zone you can wander around it killing mobs with ease. It get boring fast when you one shot mobs. The power creep is insane. My Cat geared Paladin could solo the hard mode dungeons in TBC., there is only 15 level difference between TBC and Cat.

Unless you plan on spending hours raiding, WoW offers nothing but grind for PvE. New daily quests that you need to do to grind out favor with factions if you want the “good” items. And yeah, the PvP is all gear based, if you don’t have the best gear, you can forget about PvP, unless you don’t mind losing alot to gear up.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

And you can test up to lvl 20 for free so try before you buy.

Problem with that is, it really doesn’t give you much indication of what endgame will be like (or even vaguely current content), but it’s definitely worth a go, anyway.

The thing is, the game is 11 years old now.

So, even with the revamp they did several years ago, to the older zones, the difference between newer and older stuff is still fairly noticeable.

What I would say WoW is best for is dungeons and raiding – and even if you don’t want to real raid, you can do LFR.

Also, the continents are huge and completely open – no portals/loading screens – which is obviously nice.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: malachi.7503

malachi.7503

WoW was an interesting game when it started back in ‘05. With that said, Here’s of list of what I’ve found to be unfun in WoW:
Crafting- utterly pointless, all gear you can make is completely negated by any gear you can get from a dungeon. By the time you get the resources and craft that gear piece you want, you will have outleveled it to the point of not needing it at all.

Dungeons- can be fun the first time you run it, How ever you will run them dozens of times each trying to get one item to drop from some boss and even when it does drop you run a high risk of not getting it anyway. This is due to the players around you who will role on those items even when they don’t need them, cannot trade them, and only want to prevent you from having it.

Players- Obnoxious and rude is a common quality of the playerbase. Most of the players you meet will be crude immature and childish but you can occasionally meet a few nice people.

General gameplay- most of the combat is simple and requiring no real effort. There is no dodge, the spells and attacks from mobs will hit even through walls and objects. you can watch a fireball track you as you move away from that caster as if it is a heat seeking missile. that arrow will run in a circle with you until it hits you. Evasion, dodging, chance to hit, miss chance are all static RNG controlled factors with no player involvement beyond clicking the button to initiate the procedure.

Questing- typical MMO quest chains in which you spend your day getting 10 pig gizzards but the drop chance on those gizzards is .001 therefore you will kill 1000 pigs to get those 10. You’ll spend more time fighting through garbage mobs to get to your objective than you do at your objective.

Gathering- you’re in constant competition with every other player who’s also gathering, if they get the node first, you don’t. You’ll end up fending off dozens of mobs of varying levels trying to get the resource and the shear amount of resource you’ll need to craft just one item is tiresome.(see crafting comment)

Graphics- In 2005 that game looked like someone had hired a kindergarten class to draw and color it. Today it looks the same, except someone redid it with color pencils but with about the same level of skill as the original. If you love pastels, garrish designs, bright pinks and greens and armors with eyeballs for shoulderpieces you’ll find plenty. Nothing matches anything and by the time you think you’ve found a set you’ve leveled to the point of needing to grind for a new one. (see dungeon comment, crafting comment)

Max level content- You get to max level and will spend your days repeating some garrison objectives and generally milling about running dungeons you’ve seen a thousand times, or gathering those resources to level that crafting you’ve been working on that now you don’t need at all. Or you can finally go complete all those zones you’ve left behind. Now the mobs will all be greyed out and the entire game is uneventful since you can easily walk through nearly everything, including what used to be 40 man raid content while solo.

Auction house- extremely overpriced items from the lowest level to the highest. The playerbase seems to think they’re getting rich off of every piece of gear they put up. Status is measured in the amount of gold you carry and if you don’t have the right gear you get rejected from groups regularly.

Grouping-Everyone hates every other class but their own. You can use the LFG tool but if you aren’t a healer or a tank you will spend long periods in que’s waiting to play. If you are a healer or a tank you will be mocked and ridiculed for failing to do your class job. If you’re a healer everyone expects you to never let them die. If you’re a tank everyone expects you to never let them get hit. The dps classes have no understanding of moderation and will simply spew damage output then blame you for them pulling those mobs. The healers will automatically be targeted by any mob the minute they heal then be ridiculed for taking that automatic aggro.

These are my thoughts on the game, I played from 05’ until 09, in my opinion its a game that’s gotten old and stale and far past its expiration date and saddly a lot of MMO’s out there are still emulating it. Sure when it started it was a new idea, along with everquest 2 and several others that came out around that time. No one has come up with a new idea since, everyone still to this day uses the same mechanics, same quest systems, same designs and amusingly people for some reason believe it was the first of its kind.

No Retreat No Surrender

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

you’ll find the combat sucks, it’ll feel clunky as hell, the majority of skills require you to stand still to cast,
the majority of quests are “talk to the guy with a ! over their head, kill 20 pigs, return to the guy”.
i played wow since vanilla for about 5 years, and i could never go back after GW2.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

malachi.7503 is pretty spot on with his assessment of WoW.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Everyone I know that still plays WoW literally logs on, stands around chatting, then logs off.

The grass is always greener, as they say.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

malachi.7503 is pretty spot on with his assessment of WoW.

Indeed. Dungeon loot, at least for raids, is no longer need/greed. It’s all personal loot, but odds are, you come away with 25 gold or something. 25 gold, I should mention, isn’t even enough to repair your gear after a wipe. I also get hundreds of gold in a week by doing nothing but Garrisonbook (Facegarrison?) missions. It’s a great way to finance alts on the server, but it’s just not engaging gameplay.

If you don’t have time to raid (even Looking For Raid can take 45-60 minutes for a damage class to get into), there’s almost nothing else to do, unless you like playing their Pokemon ripoff against unbalanced “legendary” critters. No srsly, 3 times the HP, takes half damage, comes with a high damage AoE, and it has two minions… It’s pretty stupid.

I find that the designs have their charm, but malachi’s right, almost nothing matches, and their transmutation system is leagues behind what GW2 has now.

Give the level-20 trial a try, and you’ll generally get a feel for how the quests go.

Oh yeah, before I forget, their auction house design is much like every other MMO ever. That is to say, it’s a decades-old model not built for convenience. Which kind of sums up the game entirely:

It’s a decades-old model not built for convenience.

Let that sink in.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Everyone I know that still plays WoW literally logs on, stands around chatting, then logs off.

The grass is always greener, as they say.

My last month playing wow was like that. I don’t think I knew what to do with myself, but I certainly didn’t feel motivated to actually play the game.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

m a 4-year WoW vet,

4 years?

Seems ‘vet’ status comes easy these days, wonder what adjective my 11 years give me?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

m a 4-year WoW vet,

4 years?

Seems ‘vet’ status comes easy these days, wonder what adjective my 11 years give me?

A metal trophy, if you’d stayed subbed since launch.
If not, well, it’s not really 11 years, is it? :P
But what do I know? I’m a, crycry, Wrath Baby. ;_;

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

The real question is: Would you like to be f… of 15 dollars per month?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

When I first heard about it I thought WoW was going to be the best game ever. I was (and am) a huge fan of Warcraft 1 & 2 and had thought for a long time that a Warcraft RPG could be amazing.

But the more I heard about it the more I became concerned that it wouldn’t be remotely the game I’d imagined. I’d never gotten into Runescape or Everquest, I much preferred Ultima Online and this game sounded a lot more like the first two. Combined with the lore changes in Warcraft 3 it just didn’t appeal to me.

Oddly enough at the time a lot of people I knew blamed it on this “massive schism” that supposedly happened in Blizzard where “half the company” quit early in the development to go and make their own MMO.

I pretty much dismissed that when I found out it was only actually 3 guys who quit, because even if they were pretty high up in the company it didn’t seem like a big deal. But in retrospect it does seem like they took all the good ideas with them. It took me a year to get into it but I much prefer their game, you should check that one out if you haven’t already.

If you don’t already know the 3 guys were Patrick Wyatt, Jeff Strain and Mike O’Brien and the game they made was Guild Wars 1.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”