GW2 vs Rift

GW2 vs Rift

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dybz.9275

Dybz.9275

Has anyone played both? What are your thoughts on Rift compared to GW2? I really enjoy GW2 but having never played Rift I’m considering giving it a shot. I love the PvE aspect of MMOs while a nice sidebar into the PvP area is nice here and there.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

I hate saying it but your best bet is just googling your exact topic title. This thread will be closed IMMEDIATELY. I’d love to offer my experiences but I don’t want any more infractions.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Trust me if you go from GW2 to Rift you’ll be like what the —-- and uninstall.
That’s what I did after playing GW2 beta and while waiting for another beta weekend I decided to renew my Rift sub and hop around. Wasted 10 euros cuz I literally played it for 5 minutes and quit. Not going to get into it anymore.
IMO.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

Can’t say for since I left Rift after Hammeknell.

I liked the game a lot, having multiple talents on the fly was great. I was a Warrior so I would Tank for raids, (I had two specs for tanking depending the encounter), 2 DPS Specs for things, a Farming AOE Spec etc. It was pretty cool and yeah, there were issues with trying to make things work together but Trion did a relatively decent job for the PvE aspect of things in that regards.

PVP Balancing was beyond terrible though (Maybe fixed now?). They were previously WAY to slow to fix many of the issues that drew some people away from PvP.

Oddly enough too, I always felt they were adding content too quick from release tothe time I quit. I was in a hardcore progression guild for our server (Shatterbone) at the time that cleared the content very quickly, but it was a month or so before something else came out to make what we had relatively worthless when we didn’t even have enough time to gear up our entire raid.

Was a bit demoralizing because of that. I believe they slowed down a bit after Hammerknell from what I’ve been told but perhaps a recent player could enlighten me on that.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Nanood.8970

Nanood.8970

If you don’t mind paying a sub then Rift is a (IMO) great game and you’ll have a lot of fun playing it.

GW2 is also (IMO) a great game and with no ongoing fees something you can play as long and often as you like.

I play both of them. Games are games. Play what you enjoy.

GW2 vs Rift

Dybz.9275

I hate saying it but your best bet is just googling your exact topic title. This thread will be closed IMMEDIATELY. I’d love to offer my experiences but I don’t want any more infractions.

I read through the forum CoC. I see nothing there that bars you from discussing other games and how they compare to GW2. Obviously as long as things stay civil. I won’t be leaving GW2 because I really enjoy it, just looking at what else is fun out there.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: draylore.2837

draylore.2837

I enjoyed Rift and believe it has one of the coolest class/skill systems. It was very nice to pretty much be able to form a group with any 4-5 friends regardless of class and be able to make it work via role swapping or whatever. What kinda discouraged me from Rift was their knee-jerk reaction style to game updates/patches……and while it may seem odd to say……much too quick turn around cycle for updates. It really made it hard to figure out what was working and what was not because they would change so many things all the same time every few weeks at one point.

So far Anet seems to be taking a much more sensible approach to ‘changes’…which i am sure some will complain about.

GW2 vs Rift

Dybz.9275

If you don’t mind paying a sub then Rift is a (IMO) great game and you’ll have a lot of fun playing it.

GW2 is also (IMO) a great game and with no ongoing fees something you can play as long and often as you like.

I play both of them. Games are games. Play what you enjoy.

What’s the state of the game at the moment? I tried reading through forums, but a lot of it is mumbo jumbo without knowing the skills they talk about. Seems like certain classes are still having issues with balancing even though it’s been out for a while.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

If I had any interest in playing WoW again, I’d be playing Rifts instead because it actually does WoW better than Blizzard. That being said, I’m not interested in playing WoW, so I play GW2. I’m just tired of the retreaded mechanics and prefer something new.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I played Rift for over a year. It’s a great WoW-style MMO. By that I mean it has the endless gear grind if you are into that and the so-called “Holy Trinity”. The Rift devs did an absolutely awesome job at UI design and implementing new features as the game progressed. On the negative side, the quests are quite boring IMO making leveling a second character a bit of a chore. The dungeons are quite linear.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Pony.3256

Pony.3256

Can’t say for since I left Rift after Hammeknell.

I liked the game a lot, having multiple talents on the fly was great. I was a Warrior so I would Tank for raids, (I had two specs for tanking depending the encounter), 2 DPS Specs for things, a Farming AOE Spec etc. It was pretty cool and yeah, there were issues with trying to make things work together but Trion did a relatively decent job for the PvE aspect of things in that regards.

PVP Balancing was beyond terrible though (Maybe fixed now?). They were previously WAY to slow to fix many of the issues that drew some people away from PvP.

Oddly enough too, I always felt they were adding content too quick from release tothe time I quit. I was in a hardcore progression guild for our server (Shatterbone) at the time that cleared the content very quickly, but it was a month or so before something else came out to make what we had relatively worthless when we didn’t even have enough time to gear up our entire raid.

Was a bit demoralizing because of that. I believe they slowed down a bit after Hammerknell from what I’ve been told but perhaps a recent player could enlighten me on that.

As a current player of Rift, I will say that many things have changed since Hammerknell.
The PvP is a lot more balanced now and the queue time is so much faster.
Trion still releases updates extremely fast, but I see that as a good thing because in Rift, there is constantly always new content.
With the new expansion coming, it’s going to introduce more things for pvp, new classes for each previous soul, player and guild housing (which is amazing and i’ll explain why), and much more.
New towns, a way bigger map, new areas, new dungeons, etc.

The new housing will allow you to seriously do anything in your house and I mean anything.
You can place weather machines and make it snow,rain, be sunny, etc.
It’s like playing the sims in Rift.

Here’s a trailer to the new expansion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68DrZohC2g

Here’s a cool vid with commentary from Trion workers.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/16/gamescom-2012-rift-storm-legion-walkthrough/

That all being said, GW2 is so far an amazing game.
Sure there are A LOT of bugs, bots, gold sellers, etc, but GW2 hasn’t even been out that long.
I’m sure a lot of things will change later.
I like both games the same, but both are somewhat similar to me.
There only difference for me is combat.
I like the combat in gw2 a lot more, but both games are great.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Rift’s class customization was just fantastic. Yeah, there were obvious synergies, but there was enough wiggle room in there that you knew what kind of build and playstyle you wanted, you could make it and it’d be effective. People really look down on “snowflake” builds in the wake of WoW, but if you understand the game mechanics you really can do some amazing things.

I enjoyed the dungeons as well, though I couldn’t tell you anything about the raiding as I haven’t been interested in that sort of gameplay in a long time.

I will say this. Trion busts their butts trying to make that game fantastic, and for the most part it is—but their fault is that sometimes they try a little too hard to please everybody, and it can create frustrating inconsistencies in the game experience.

However, since the game has been out for a year and a half now those issues may be settled. Bottom line, Rift is worth trying, especially if you liked WoW as they’re essentially the same game, just be aware of Trion’s sometimes-bipolar method of altering the game.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

I read through the forum CoC. I see nothing there that bars you from discussing other games and how they compare to GW2. Obviously as long as things stay civil. I won’t be leaving GW2 because I really enjoy it, just looking at what else is fun out there.

I’ve had multiple infractions for posts involving Rift talk. As far as I can tell none of them violated any other guidelines… but of course the “reason” was vague and didn’t say why it was really taken down. They just ninja bad PR with more bad PR

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

However, since the game has been out for a year and a half now those issues may be settled. Bottom line, Rift is worth trying, especially if you liked WoW as they’re essentially the same game, just be aware of Trion’s sometimes-bipolar method of altering the game.

haha for sure. I think there was a month and a half straight, that every week there’d be a change for my Warrior making Dual Wield the Best, then it’d be 2H, then DW, then 2H. Ended up just sticking with one and hoping for the best

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Rift was the only MMO that I hit max level. I got bored in all others I tried. If that says anything about how fun the game is.

I eventually stopped playing because the PvP gear grind was too much for me and I was not having fun. (gear grind is just not my thing)

Making your character build is really fun in Rift since you use 3 souls and can even swap between specs (go from support to dps) instantly while out of combat.

You can play Rift for free up to level 20. Go give it a shot won;t hurt.

I’d be playing it, but I will be with GW2 for….a long long long time.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

If you want a new, shiny WoW than RIFT is it. It’s a WoW clone with a few new twists but it’s pretty traditional and it’s a fairly polished game. Nothing wrong with it although I did just find it boring after a while. You can’t really compare it to GW2 though because they’re so different. GW2 is a better, newer take on an MMO that I like better.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

I played Rift before GW2, I think they are both good games and enjoyable, both better than WoW. Keep in mind Rift has been out longer so they had time to fix and tweak. GW2 though you don’t have to pay $15 a month to play, so that to me is a huge advantage.

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I’ve had multiple infractions for posts involving Rift talk. As far as I can tell none of them violated any other guidelines… but of course the “reason” was vague and didn’t say why it was really taken down. They just ninja bad PR with more bad PR

That has happened to me (and probably will again for this post). Some of the mods act upon a very liberal interpretation of the forum rules.

On the topic at hand, I also wanted to say that the class build system is very cool. Any class can play any role in the Holy Trinity. And on the negative side, Trion has had an extremely big nerf bat which is the reason why I left the game. They nerfed the priest class into oblivion for a while because of a PvP issue. WoW did the same thing at one time and on both occasions I left their game. Since we pay a monthly subscription I don’t think destroying a class, even for a finite amount of time, is not appropriate (would have been better if Trion had said the mega-nerf was temporary until a more permanent fix was in).

GW2 vs Rift

Posted by: Moderator.2890

Moderator.2890

Please refrain from making posts that do not provide any meaningful contribution to the topic at hand.