GW2 was a shining of beacon of hope

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

GW2 was a beacon of hope in an otherwise bland and done to death genre. It had a chance to be revolutionary on an epic scale to a huge audience when it was released. Pretty much everyone was talking about it like it was going to change the genre. I honestly am astounded that we are only three months into release and the developer has already sold out their vision for the ultimate MMO for a quick buck.

I thought this game would be different, I thought finally there is a company that won’t cater to the all the things I grew to hate in MMOs. Boy, was I wrong. Look where we are today and think of your expectations before launch. What in the kitten happened?

In these hard times when people need something to believe in, GW2 let me down.

I don’t care about a sub or buying things in the gem store or can I have your stuff, all I wanted was the ideals ANet promised in their manifesto. Thats all I needed to keep playing despite all of GW2s flaws. Money isn’t even an issue here, I want the game I was promised so many times back

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

Posted by: Elwing.7319

Elwing.7319

I don’t know about the “quick buck” thing, but I do know how you feel and can relate. I was truly looking forward to this game, having loved GW1. The manifesto for GW2 just made me swoon. The beta weekends got me hooked. The Black Lion Chests aside (being wary of them from STO’s Lockboxes) the first few months of the live game were a blast.

Then Halloween happened. What irked me here was the buff in gambling for stuff through those Chests and the notion of (if I wanted them) buying the mini-pets twice in order to complete the set by shoving one trio into the grinder for that fourth one. I was absolutely fine with the costumes (as I was fine with the same thing in GW1), but this dark cloud marred the overall experience. As strategy it did not bode well for the future.

Then Lost Shore happened. Gambling was back, this time for the mini-pets, and we got our first elitist raid-style gear treadmill. These, along with karka that don’t render and a whole bunch of new events that got broken within an hour…

To put it simply, yesterday I was having fun leveling an alt between running a few dungeons to buy some nice looking gear for said alt when it reached level 80, today I’m on the forum to see if it’s just me that feels disillusioned and let down by the game.

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

I’ve totally got my money’s worth. Good for them on making money. They have families to feed as most of us do.

That’s not to say I’m totally pleased. But meh I’ve dropped 60 on worse things..

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I’ve totally got my money’s worth. Good for them on making money. They have families to feed as most of us do.

That’s not to say I’m totally pleased. But meh I’ve dropped 60 on worse things..

Very true.

Thanks for the fun thus far ArenaNet.

Best of luck in the future.

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

“[Anet] were trying to be decent men, in an indecent time!”

Someone get this reference. Please.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Same feeling here. It’s actually a process of grieving that everyone is going through right now. Just wish anet felt as strongly about their stated design philosophy as I do.

Posted by: Regizer.1763

Regizer.1763

I can’t help but feel like people are being overly dramatic when they say that they are leaving a game.

Posted by: warmonkey.8013

warmonkey.8013

I for one was hoping they put in something like in GW1 where you’d form a team and go against multiple teams at the same time. Honestly, that was pretty fun for me, and pretty unique. wtf was that.. hall of kings? >_< my memory doesn’t do names, every thing is a thing.

but even without that — this is the first game to do 3-sided PvP in a big open field since DAOC. That was a major reason I jumped in. The other was that my gear would be good forever, that once I hit 80 and settled on a build and got the gear for it, I was done getting loot unless I wanted to try a different build. That’s a biggie.

The first is still here, but problems aren’t exactly addressed, and the transfers.. the transfers ruined it for several weeks at the very least for my server. it’s not as bad, now, but there was no reason transfers should have been going on daily for 3 months into the game. that. is. dumb.

the latter is gone. gone gone gone.

i haven’t logged in since the blog post. i’m mad, sure, but that’s not why i’m not logging in. i just have no interest in getting back into the hamster wheel. i have absolutely no desire to get in there. before i had heard that a new gear tier was being added, i was running several dungeons a day, running around in WvW when there were fights to be had, trying to get guildies to run some tournies.. all the time, playing. spent some cash.

can’t even bear to log in and have some developer throw a leash around my neck and pull me where they think i should go.

Frigi Dair — SoR Necro

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

It was the dawn of the third age of gaming – 10 years after the first MMO.

The Guild Wars 2 Project was a dream, given form. Its goal: to prevent another market loss, by creating a place where casuals and hardcores can work for their different goals, peacefully. It’s a port of call – home away from home – for completionists, explorers, pvp’ers, and wanderers.

Humans and locusts, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning lines of code . . . all alone in the intertubes.

It can be a dangerous place, but it’s our last best hope for peace.

This is the story of the last of the Trusted Developers. The year is 2012. The name of the place, is Guild Wars 2.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Krustydog.1043

Krustydog.1043

Our “pvp skill based game” is now a “gear based pve game.” Awesome. Raiders ALWAYS get preferential treatment. But I will tell you this as absolute truth-once the pvp’ers say “kitten this game” and leave the game goes down the tubes. ALL the pvp’ers I know are done with this game. Maybe they decided to cater to the raiders because they are unable to fix RENDERING issues in WvW, who knows, all I know is we are done with this game. I hate the shady used car salesman mentality they used on us to get us to buy this game.

Posted by: XxRaSxX.1604

XxRaSxX.1604

I’ve enjoyed the game so far. I didn’t follow it during beta or anything though. Think i heard about it on TORs forums and jumped ship as soon as i could lol. Now that game was a let down…

But, there have been alot of unhappy people on the forums ever since the new armor tier was introduced and since that rediculously terrible letdown of a patch on the 15th. I’ve been wondering, are people actually leaving like they claim they are? How would we even know with no subscriptions? Would it even make a difference?

While there are those who are enjoying the new content, I think we can all agree that the general tone of the forums is negative. Very negative. I hope we can get a dev post or something in the coming week to address some of the issues this major content update has brought with it.

Regizer.1763

Our “pvp skill based game” is now a “gear based pve game.” Awesome. Raiders ALWAYS get preferential treatment. But I will tell you this as absolute truth-once the pvp’ers say “kitten this game” and leave the game goes down the tubes. ALL the pvp’ers I know are done with this game. Maybe they decided to cater to the raiders because they are unable to fix RENDERING issues in WvW, who knows, all I know is we are done with this game. I hate the shady used car salesman mentality they used on us to get us to buy this game.

I don’t see how PvP was affected by this patch…?

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

It was the dawn of the third age of gaming – 10 years after the first MMO.

The Guild Wars 2 Project was a dream, given form. Its goal: to prevent another market loss, by creating a place where casuals and hardcores can work for their different goals, peacefully. It’s a port of call – home away from home – for completionists, explorers, pvp’ers, and wanderers.

Humans and locusts, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning lines of code . . . all alone in the intertubes.

It can be a dangerous place, but it’s our last best hope for peace.

This is the story of the last of the Trusted Developers. The year is 2012. The name of the place, is Guild Wars 2.

“Trusted Developers”? Not anymore.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

I’ve been wondering, are people actually leaving like they claim they are? How would we even know with no subscriptions? Would it even make a difference?

I have. I requested a refunded, and it processed through a couple hours ago. If you want to make a difference, go do it now. You can buy another code for you account in a day or two if you still want to play, but with no subscriptions, this is the only way to make a statement. Otherwise, they won’t fully realize the damage until 3-6 months from now, and it will be too late.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Elwing.7319

Elwing.7319

It’s actually a process of grieving that everyone is going through right now.

I think that sums it up nicely.

GW1 was lovely, for me. I could happily head off and adventure on my own (with heroes to accompany me), or join a team of players and cooperatively tackle a dungeon or such like, or hop into some PvP. I could spend cash with the certainty of getting the thing I wanted for it. I didn’t need Obsidian Armor to be able to beat up Dhuum (but the option to pose in it was there if I wanted to grind for it). If I wanted to survive Spectral Agony, I just needed to run through half a mission to get my whole armor set Infused.

Maybe I’m looking at all of this through rose-tinted glasses, and things aren’t all that bad. All I know is that, up until the experiences of today, I’d be in-game right now, rather than here, mourning.

Posted by: CitoD.2805

CitoD.2805

I really like the game play, but making this new gear grind has turned myself and my buddies off. They swore up and down that there wasn’t going to be a gear grind… 3 months in and blame.. grind away.
Do something with WvW.. let us see who we are fighting with the persons name, make a ladder system or something, realm point type of system. I don’t know but this pve grind was NOT a good idea… All I can think of was some suit in some office somewhere pushing and telling the developers this is what your going to do.. money money money… its always about the money.
I love my engineer and the fun i’ve had with him but I can’t stand to do a gear grind like this.. Dungeons as they are were fine, same stats just go for the gear you want for the spec you want. One of my buddies had like 4-5 80 toons, and had all the trades to max.. hasn’t logged in since the blog.. Anet is going to lose a lot of its core ppl. All the pvpers are gonna wave goodbye.

Posted by: Rainsoul Moonmourne.9743

Rainsoul Moonmourne.9743

this is a very, very negative collection of posts. and one should agree that, in the end (and as many have already said) gw2 hasnt so far been “the change”. But i sure as hell still believe they are so far closer to it than everyone else!!!!
Keep believin guys!! i understand you all, heck, if everything was fine i too wouldnt be here but in the game, playing but one can only wait…and be positive!

Posted by: Keelin.5781

Keelin.5781

They were closer. As you can see they are now moving away from that.
Personally i’ve run out of positive thoughts after months of lacking updates – and now this.

Posted by: Daizengar.9836

Daizengar.9836

My god, the things people say over a few new items. I’ve never seen crying this pathetic ever, over such kittening little things.

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

Personally i’ve run out of positive thoughts after months of lacking updates – and now this.

They’re “moving away” from it because they introduced new items? rofl you people are ridiculous.

No. They are moving away from it because they introduced an amazingly incredible grind for gear. I spent 6+ hours in the new instance with 3 different groups. I got 25 relics for my time and 1 rare ring.

One of those prototype things cost 1350 relics. In over 6 hours I was able to get 25. At this rate, I’ll probably get enough relics right before GW3 launches.

If you like this grind, more power to you. I’m happy that you have a game that you can enjoy for a few weeks before the next WoW patch. Personally, after 6+ hours of dungeon running and having nothing to show for it, I’m done with this nonsense. At least in WoW, I would actually get something for spending this much time in an instance.

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

They’re “moving away” from it because they introduced new items? rofl you people are ridiculous.

You’re ridiculous. If you had read any of the old interviews or even the manifesto you wouldn’t even need to doubt this.
But please, by all means, keep your head in the clouds.

I’m ridiculous? Why’s that, because I’m being pretty kitten honest and not jumping on this bizarre bandwagon of butthurt with you and everyone else? Because I’m not linking screenshots of me asking for a refund over the addition of new items and calling for others to do the same, as if it proves some point? Rofl this is unbelievable.

Seriously man, take a step back for a second and look at what it is you’re crying yourself to sleep over. The addition of a few new items that aren’t even as good as other items that already exist in the game. I mean are you joking?

No. They are moving away from it because they introduced an amazingly incredible grind for gear. I spent 6+ hours in the new instance with 3 different groups. I got 25 relics for my time and 1 rare ring.

Mind telling me why exactly you’re doing a completely optional grind if you don’t want to and don’t have to? Seems like a bit of a weird thing to do.

If you like this grind, more power to you. I’m happy that you have a game that you can enjoy for a few weeks before the next WoW patch.

Okay well first off, don’t insult me by implying that I’m a WoW player, because the only MMO I ever played in my life besides Guild Wars 2 is Guild Wars. And second, yes, if I like the grind for Ascended gear, more power to me. You have basically summarised my entire point. If I want to do an optional grind, more power to me. Just like if I wanted to do the already-existing optional grind for a Legendary weapon, more power to me. If you don’t want to do an optional grind, then don’t. Because a skilled player with a Weaponsmith sword will beat a crap player with a max-stat Ascended sword any day of the week, with his eyes closed.

(edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796)

Keelin.5781

The addition of a few new items that aren’t even as good as other items that already exist in the game. I mean are you joking?

You either have no clue about any of this or you are literally playing a different game.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

These new items are must haves to compete in wvwvw, and there is only one way to get them – crappy dungeon grinds that many of us Hate.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Regizer.1763

One of those prototype things cost 1350 relics. In over 6 hours I was able to get 25. At this rate, I’ll probably get enough relics right before GW3 launches.

If you like this grind, more power to you. I’m happy that you have a game that you can enjoy for a few weeks before the next WoW patch. Personally, after 6+ hours of dungeon running and having nothing to show for it, I’m done with this nonsense. At least in WoW, I would actually get something for spending this much time in an instance.

I’m pretty sure there a lot more to do in this game than grinding for items.

Regizer.1763

These new items are must haves to compete in wvwvw, and there is only one way to get them – crappy dungeon grinds that many of us Hate.

Posts like this are the reason I’m afraid I’m gonna get banned from the forums again

krookie.6378

Not if you want to stay competitive. Ascended items are the new exotics and you either have them or you have to l2p.

Besides, my post wasn’t even really about that. It was about spending 6+ hours in an instance and getting rewarded with a rare ring and 25 relics.

Regizer.1763

Not if you want to stay competitive. Ascended items are the new exotics and you either have them or you have to l2p.

Yet somehow I manage to stay competitive with only yellow gear.

krookie.6378

For now.

Regizer.1763

For now.

I will have an exotic or 2 by the time people will start getting new gear!

Daizengar.9836

If you’re all just going to cry over a new tier of items, why even have god kitten items in this game? Why have fine, masterwork, rare, or exotic tiers? It’s too unfair for those who only have lower tier items! We should just eliminate all items for ever so the babies don’t have to collect a single piece of gear forever.

On another note, did everyone forget that ascended were going to be able to acquired by other methods eventually?

And krookie, I don’t know how you managed to spend 6+ hours for only 25 tokens. My first try there was barely over an hour to finish all 3 fractals. I’d say you just had a terribad group.

(edited by Daizengar.9836)

Columba.9730

If you’re all just going to cry over a new tier of items, why even have god kitten items in this game? Why have fine, masterwork, rare, or exotic tiers? It’s too unfair for those who only have lower tier items! We should just eliminate all items for ever so the babies don’t have to do a single run forever.

On another note, did everyone forget that ascended were going to be able to acquired by other methods eventually?

And krookie, I don’t know how you managed to spend 6+ hours for only 25 tokens. My first try there was barely over an hour to finish all 3 fractals. I’d say you just had a terribad group.

Because some of us hate being forced to grind dungeons. we spent 2 hours and didn’t get crap done.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

You can only do better with max stat gear, therefore you will be more competitive, as you won’t be working handicapped due to your numbers being arbitrarily smaller than your opponent’s numbers.

If you’re all just going to cry over a new tier of items, why even have god kitten items in this game? Why have fine, masterwork, rare, or exotic tiers? It’s too unfair for those who only have lower tier items! We should just eliminate all items for ever so the babies don’t have to collect a single piece of gear forever.

That is a very valid concern, even if stated in a very childish manner.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Regizer.1763

You can only do better with max stat gear, therefore you will be more competitive, as you won’t be working handicapped due to your numbers being arbitrarily smaller than your opponent’s numbers.

Stats aren’t even that much greater from tier to tier… what is it like 3 more points on stats from yellow to orange?

Of course your character will have a slight edge with higher tier but its not a game breaker

Daizengar.9836

If you’re all just going to cry over a new tier of items, why even have god kitten items in this game? Why have fine, masterwork, rare, or exotic tiers? It’s too unfair for those who only have lower tier items! We should just eliminate all items for ever so the babies don’t have to do a single run forever.

Because some of us hate being forced to grind dungeons. we spent 2 hours and didn’t get crap done.

Then you are fools to play an MMO with a tiered item system. What you want is a game where every kitten will always have the same stats so no one is disadvantaged, ever. Regardless of what ANet ever said about their stance on grinding better items, the fact that a tiered item system existed always contradicted that.

So now you can either:

1. Deal with it, quit your crying.
2. Wait for alternative methods of acquiring ascended to be implemented.
3. Quit and find your magical game where no one ever has to face an opponent with ‘better’ gear.

Posted by: Shaikhob.2863

Shaikhob.2863

Stats aren’t even that much greater from tier to tier… what is it like 3 more points on stats from yellow to orange?

Ascended items can’t use runes or sigils either. They only have the gem stats built into it. It’s nice for some things, but for others it’s actually worse.

Posted by: Krustydog.1043

Krustydog.1043

My god, the things people say over a few new items. I’ve never seen crying this pathetic ever, over such kittening little things.

Ever pvp’ed in wow sporting greens and blues against a fully decked out icc 25 raider? Or worse yet someone in full latest season gladiator gear? Both were a bodacious grind to acquire. But once you had them you were a nub stomping squirrel squashing machine because you were literally unbeatable by anyone who did not possess your skill (in farming). And yes-250 runs per piece for the new gear (if I understand it correctly=40 gaming hours, at 2 hours a night that’s 3 weeks a piece) is most heinous. And that’s not even counting the time you sit doing nothing while waiting for a group. I have a life. I got stuff to do besides play video games. I guess I will just have to hold onto the hope that someday someone will make the actual game that Anet said they were going to make.

Columba.9730

Then you are fools to play an MMO with a tiered item system. What you want is a game where every kitten will always have the same stats so no one is disadvantaged, ever. Regardless of what ANet ever said about their stance on grinding better items, the fact that a tiered item system existed always contradicted that.

So now you can either:

3. Quit and find your magical game where no one ever has to face an opponent with ‘better’ gear.

No. Read again. I don’t want to be forced to do dungeon raids. I want to get it in wvw. I will deal with it by never spending another dime on this game until I can have fun again.

krookie.6378

I’ll tell you. First run: we did 2 fractals, right as the 3rd starts, one person goes AFK forever. We leave, the whole thing resets.

Second run. I find a group, we finish 1 fractal, right as we get to the boss of the second fracal, 1 person says “sorry I have to go.” We leave the whole thing resets.

Third run. We finish 2 fractals without much issues. 3rd fractal, one person got angry because apparently everyone was a “noob” and leaves, never mind that I just walked him and the rest of the group through the other 2 fractals.

Out of all the runs, from all of the boss chests, I got 25 relics and 1 rare item, which was a ring that doesn’t work with either of my specs.

I’m just so done with this. If you’re going to add a gear grind, at least do it right. I would get much better rewards doing random instances in WoW.

Daizengar.9836

Childish? Look at all these other posts by the people crying over ascended. They want everything handed to them and when things went in a different direction they all act like its the end of the world. I swear some of these people are crying themselves to sleep.

Compared to some of the posts by all these other people this was hardly childish.

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

To quote Murphy’s Law, “The light at the end of the tunnel is the lamp of an oncoming train.”

The sad thing is I agree completely with the OP. The poor post-launch development and class balancing was bad enough but sell out on your own rules and manifesto is inexcusable.

So much awesome potential gone to waste. It really is a crying shame. Maybe one day there will be a development team who can come up with similar goals/values and actually have the conviction to follow through on them but it won’t be this one.

krookie.6378

So now you can either:

You do realize that this new tier was just introduced and prior to this, the developers were claiming that the game would have no gear grind, right?

Regizer.1763

Childish? Look at all these other posts by the people crying over ascended. They want everything handed to them and when things went in a different direction they all act like its the end of the world. I swear some of these people are crying themselves to sleep.

Compared to some of the posts by all these other people this was hardly childish.

Standard MMO community procedures, did you not receive the manual?

Columba.9730

We understand that you feel entitled to a gear grind game.

Keelin.5781

Ascended items can’t use runes or sigils either. They only have the gem stats built into it. It’s nice for some things, but for others it’s actually worse.

Infusions also come with stats.
All in all the additional stats gained between exotic and ascended are consistent with the stat gains between the old armor tiers. As of now they are around 12% better.
This is not considering that we haven’t even seen more than the first tier of infusions yet – you can expect this gap to increase.

Daizengar.9836

So now you can either:

You do realize that this new tier was just introduced and prior to this, the developers were claiming that the game would have no gear grind, right?

And rarely does a concept or a vision ever remain the same at its completion. Things DO change you know. Ideas get scrapped, new ideas are put in place. Nothing can remain the same. All you’re doing is clinging on to a few words from the past.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

Hard to imagine this good of game design art to be followed up by such worse game play (especially the combat aspects).

I would say that the world of GW2 truly changes the realm of MMO. It did for me. But the gameplay simply was just like any other boring MMO out there.

I’ll tell this to Anet: You guys made it tough for me to play any other MMO (because your kitten graphics are so kitten gorgeous!). But it’s not like I’ll play another MMO in the future, because I’ve sort of reached my limit to accept any more MMOs with these traditional ~ ‘boring’ combat gameplay.

That is all.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Wow, it’s not very often that I would do this, but I’m actually going to encourage you to quit the game. Please.

Weird that players of any decent skill can compete in WvW with level 20 characters, and level 20 gear, but apparently you can’t even compete without top-tier weapons.

If you actually examine the game’s mechanics, I think an enormous facepalm would be in order. I mean you do realise that the majority of stats are actually innate to a character based on the distribution of attribute points, right? All gear actually does is let you further specialise your stats in whatever direction you want to take. I have no doubt whatsoever that I would be able to beat a less-skilled player than me with gear that isn’t even max level, let alone top-tier. A big part of that is my character’s innate stats and being able to distribute my attributes into a well-thought-out build, and an even bigger part of that is player skill. The idea that someone could care so kitten much about a tiny difference in gear stats says to me that that person probably doesn’t even understand how this game fundamentally works, let alone have any skill at it.

Keelin.5781

And rarely does a concept or a vision ever remain the same at its completion. Things DO change you know. Ideas get scrapped, new ideas are put in place. Nothing can remain the same. All you’re doing is clinging on to a few words from the past.

What you don’t understand is that these “few words from the past” as you call it – were the main reason many people were interested in this game in the first place.

Daizengar.9836

Standard MMO community procedures, did you not receive the manual?

Out of all the MMOs I’ve ever played, even in the most Pay to win F2P MMOs, I’ve NEVER seen a MMO community more selfish and pathetic as this one.

krookie.6378

So now you can either:

Concept and vision only really apply prior to the game’s release. Once the game is sold, especially with certain advertized features, you can’t just do a complete 180 and say “well concepts and visions change.” Not after release they don’t. I purchased the game specifically because of certain advertized features. Features that are being thrown out of the window starting with this patch.