GW2Stuff Timer Overlay risks?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cyber.1798

Cyber.1798

Hey everyone,
I play gw2 daily, and make sure I never miss the boss events.

It used to be a hassle to always alt-tabbing to my browser, even with Steam Overlay, it got tedious

I’m not advertising, but I am going to post a hidden link so that Tech-support or other players know exactly what I’m referring to. (feel free to remove it mods if needed).

I just found this GW2Stuff overlay thingy (beta) for tracking events and dragons.
http://us.gw2stuff.com/en/overlay

My question is:
Is there any chance that such game overlays might cause account issues?

I heard that, similarly, TeamSpeak overlay has caused some people to get banned before because the game thinks they are scripting…

Is this is the case for this “luxury” tool?
Any user testimonials out there?

Thank you.

Attachments:

Cyber.1798

Btw, I’ve yet to actually use the program, I’m waiting on a reply if it’s acceptable before doing so, just in case.

Thanks.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Fail to see how this can ban you. It’s more of a hassle than having a second monitor with the full site open on the other screen, seeing as you’re blocking a fair amount of your view with it. It’s not like it hooks into your game and plays it for you. If you don’t have a second monitor, if you have a phone or tablet, you can use that as a second screen to open that site if you want, to keep your screen less cluttered.

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

I use it all the time. I haven’t had account problems. Entire guild has used it too, no reported issues.

It makes use of released API for GW2, so pretty sure its “legal” to use.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

you will have no issues whatsoever by using the overlay

i promise you that nothing will happen to your account

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Cyber.1798

I use it all the time. I haven’t had account problems. Entire guild has used it too, no reported issues.

It makes use of released API for GW2, so pretty sure its “legal” to use.

Thanks for the reply.
I always wondered why aNet wouldn’t release it’s own <subscribed timers> in game.

i.e I put a checkmark on some events I’m waiting for all day.

When that event hits window, I get a popup IN GAME on the left or topside, much like an iphone notification, that the event started. even if i was in a different zone altogether and halfway across tyria.

Cyber.1798

Fail to see how this can ban you. It’s more of a hassle than having a second monitor with the full site open on the other screen, seeing as you’re blocking a fair amount of your view with it. It’s not like it hooks into your game and plays it for you. If you don’t have a second monitor, if you have a phone or tablet, you can use that as a second screen to open that site if you want, to keep your screen less cluttered.

well u can have transparencies and whatnot on it, took me about 5 mins to set it up so that only events that hit window appear there, and not blocking my view.

I personally can’t have 2 screens open while playing because my videocard is weak, and it would lag out my movements if dual-screening

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

If they ban you for using it then ANET will need to ban itself since they turned the community on to this jewel.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The way it covers a large part of your screen is too annoying for me. If only it ran in the background, where you checked the event(s) you are interested in and you get a notification with a pop up when the event started, then I would run it on my computer. Until then I prefer to run the app separately on my iPad and just keep keep an eye on it.

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

Tried the overlay yesterday, killed it an hour later on account of it losing me 12 fps for some reason. I’ll stick to the old alt-tab.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

If I remember right, an Anet staff member has already stated that it’s perfectly fine to use it. You might find that post if you search for it.

I myself heavily prefer using alt+tab. It’s very fast and nothing blocks my view.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

The main difference to this “overlay” and others is that it’s not a true overlay. It’s more an “always on top” app. True overlays inject their code into the game so that it’s actually being rendered with it. This allows true overlays to run in true fullscreen, while this one has to be in windowed mode. It is that injection that can be (mis)construed as a bot/hack and result in ban.

As far as people complaining about it covering the screen: Take a min and configure it; you can scale the whole window, change font and size, edit transparencies, change colors, etc.