Gadgeteer's Gathering Package

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

On sale for 1850 gems. It’s a real good deal for those who hadn’t bought any gathering tools before from Gem Store. But there will be some who will be very disappointed for paying 1000 gems separately for each of 3 items previously.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

pretty much lesson learned here – when a new actual useful item comes out in the gem store resist the urge to buy it.

chances are either itll go on sale as like this deal or a better version will come out at a cheaper price as like the silver-fed machine (500 gems) vs the copper-fed machine (800 gems).

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

either way if you’re paying with gold you’ll be gathering for 5 to 10 years to make it cost the same amount as buying tools, especially when winterday buried everyone in free tools. So it’s less about cost efficiency and more about never having to go back to town to buy tools.

So if you’re worried about price, you shouldn’t buy them at all as they’re not cost efficient. If you’re worried about convenience then people that did not pick the tools up in a bundle had the convenience of not returning to towns to buy tools for months (really having in mind that first tools were available still in Season 1, the maximum amount of convenience that you could have had versus the new person buying it on sale is around 1.5 years).

It’s kind of like buying a fast car and 5 years down the line complaining that now that car is on sale. By picking it up brand new you had a faster car than other people for years. And that’s exactly what you payed for. The only people to lose out would be the ones that bought the product weeks or just days before it went on sale. I did that with a game once. I bought teleglitch, just for it to be free on humble bundle the very next day.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

pretty much lesson learned here – when a new actual useful item comes out in the gem store resist the urge to buy it.

chances are either itll go on sale as like this deal or a better version will come out at a cheaper price as like the silver-fed machine (500 gems) vs the copper-fed machine (800 gems).

How is this any different than real life? Do not buy a product now, most likely in the future it will go on sale, or a better version will come out. Still shocks me when people just figure this out using a game.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Silver fed (which got its cost reduced from 1 silver to 60c is still only something like 0.5c/use cheaper than the rare kit from the merchant.

Assuming you, like many people i know have mystic forge stones coming out their ears thanks to AP chests, the mystic kits are by far better value than silver fed. At 250 uses, for rares/exotics, convenience of the unlimited kit is moot. 250 uses will last a few weeks for most people.

The copper fed is a better purchase as you could go through 5 kits just doing 3-4 dungeon paths. it is also the roughly 0.5c cheaper per use than the merchant salvage kits.

Also the mining pick is very good. the sprockets are valuable and if you enjoy gathering daily, it’ll pay for itself quite quickly.

I still dislike the pay-2-win element on that mining pick though.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

(edited by Artemis Thuras.8795)

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

i agree, it’s a very good deal. even if you bought a set previously, 1850 for all 3 is not so bad to equip another character. i always had a feeling they’d do something like that (a set) though its a better price than id thought.

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

echo.2053

errr what? Prior to the infinite gathering tools going account bound they were 800 gems each. The people who lost out are those who bought all 3 tools at 800 and those who bought at 1000 gems.

Errrr random strawman arguement FTL at least make it somewhat relevant… in an make believe world you go out and buy your fast car for $1000 with the choice of 1 out of 3 packages with the option to add the other packages for an additional $1000. Little did you know the month prior the car and each package was only $800 each. A year goes by and you see the same car you bought fully loaded with all 3 packages for only $850 more than you paid. In this world you cant trade in or sell your car, tell us more how you would be pleased with your car purchase? XD

OR how about this one

You buy the current game/computer system for $800 the next year they put out a new one with faster speeds and better graphics for $400. Again can’t trade in or sell your old system, would you still be satisfied?

This is about emphasizing holding off purchasing useful items when there is a very good chance itll be cheaper with greater value. You can argue your 1.5 year convience alllllllll you want because people who bought this combine packaged paid 200 gems each tool less than you, unless you bought the 1000 ones which case its bumped to 400 geams less each tool. Your move

echo.2053

Silver fed (which got its cost reduced from 1 silver to 60c is still only something like 0.5c/use cheaper than the rare kit from the merchant.

Assuming you, like many people i know have mystic forge stones coming out their ears thanks to AP chests, the mystic kits are by far better value than silver fed. At 250 uses, for rares/exotics, convenience of the unlimited kit is moot. 250 uses will last a few weeks for most people.

The copper fed is a better purchase as you could go through 5 kits just doing 3-4 dungeon paths. it is also the roughly 0.5c cheaper per use than the merchant salvage kits.

Also the mining pick is very good. the sprockets are valuable and if you enjoy gathering daily, it’ll pay for itself quite quickly.

I still dislike the pay-2-win element on that mining pick though.

Going against mystic kits yeah copper is better since there are more greens/blue but thats not really what im arguing. The base price should have been the same as it in game ( copper 500 gems silver for 800). If in game the salvage kits were set up the same way, would you be using the higher priced basic salvage kit or the lower priced one with higher odds of rarer materials?