Game Dev abusing power? Any way to report it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thakkian.1856

Thakkian.1856

So I was in Div Reach and there were a group of people who were dancing as Ursans with ursan Tonics. And I got in the middle and started playing an instrument and they liked having me there. A Game Dev came and Asked me to move from the middle of their group and I didn’t really feel like it, and kept playing…He wanted a picture I guess, And out of nowhere I got DCed and I logged right back in in the middle of them all again, and got instantly DCed again. The next time I logged back in I didn’t get DCed again, I assumed he got his picture. I felt like the DCing was probably against a rule or something, and I confronted him about it asking if it was against a rule to DC me like that and he just ignored me. The Dev’s name was kitten y.

Thakkian.1856

It says I put “The Devs name is Kitten y” but the Dev’s name was kitten y …Without the spaces inbetween the letters lol

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

This is going places.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

So why wouldn’t you just move for a bit if you were asked?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Support at the top of page. Ticket should have time, place, toon name and screenshots if you have them.

Thakkian.1856

I figured I had a right to not do it if I didn’t want to. I wasnt breaking any rules or anything. Are Devs supposed to use power like that? They want a picture so they will DC me more than once to get it?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

GG if true… … …

Yargesh.4965

Take it to support the thread will be deleted if you keep it up.

Thakkian.1856

Could you link me the page where I would Submit a ticket about this?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I figured I had a right to not do it if I didn’t want to. I wasnt breaking any rules or anything. Are Devs supposed to use power like that? They want a picture so they will DC me more than once to get it?

Screw you, I do what I want, huh. Have you ever heard of a thing called kindness?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually OP you don’t have any rights at all. Anet isn’t America. It’s Tyria. You don’t have any rights except the ability to access the server to the game. Those are your rights. Even if you were kicked, and I won’t say you were or weren’t, you still accessed the game. You lost no rewards in the process. You were back in in a matter of seconds.

You could report him, I suppose, but what are they going to realistically to do him? Ban him for 72 hours? I somehow doubt that. Talk to him? Maybe.

Nothing will likely come of it, because nothing really happened, except that your ego was hurt.

Yargesh.4965

Could you link me the page where I would Submit a ticket about this?

Just click on the support link and follow the instructions.

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

IDK if this is true then it shouldn’t happen because that is a huge abuse of power. But that is a BIG IF.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Actually OP you don’t have any rights at all. Anet isn’t America. It’s Tyria. You don’t have any rights except the ability to access the server to the game. Those are your rights. Even if you were kicked, and I won’t say you were or weren’t, you still accessed the game. You lost no rewards in the process. You were back in in a matter of seconds.

You could report him, I suppose, but what are they going to realistically to do him? Ban him for 72 hours? I somehow doubt that. Talk to him? Maybe.

Nothing will likely come of it, because nothing really happened, except that your ego was hurt.

Despite the OP being childish for not moving, an Anet employee should not abuse their power like that (if the story’s true). It’s not about who started it here, Anet people should realize they are the face of the company they represent. It’s a matter of professionalism.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Well, why should he have moved away? The group easily could have ported away if all the other members had felt he would be an uninvited guest. No need to harass a player that wanted to participate in a game with other players. Much less, when they really only wanted to take a screen shot.. it is just a screen shot..

Yes, he could have been kind and just moved away for a moment, but he doesn’t has to.

(Although it is hard to believe something like that happened.. letting a particular player dc..)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Well, why should he have moved away? The group easily could have ported away if all the other members had felt he would be an uninvited guest. No need to harass a player that wanted to participate in a game with other players. Much less, when they really only wanted to take a screen shot.. it is just a screen shot..

Yes, he could have been kind and just moved away for a moment, but he doesn’t has to.

(Although it is hard to believe something like that happened.. letting a particular player dc..)

According to the EULA Anet has exclusive rights to take away his access to the game at any time they wish so it was within the dev’s rights to dc him, not that there’s any proof at all that is even the case to begin with.

Besides sometimes people will be malicious trolls and try to get in the middle of things and ruin them on purpose like the OP. In cases like these I’m not on their side.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Yes, maybe EULA says it, and it is their legal right to do so, it just doesn’t make much sense.

Who says he wanted to ruin something? That’s an assumption.
If he really wanted to spoil their fun and intented to do so, that’s of course not ok.
We just don’t know what happened and for example how many times one of the group asked him to go away. We don’t know if the other members of that group were ok with him staying there or not.
It could have simply been that the one who let him dc (if thats possible?), got pi.. off and did it for his own satisfaction.
We don’t know.

However, just because they are protected by their EULA it doesn’t mean you should do something like this, just because you can..

(Well.. I will not give more energy into that as it is worth.. ^^)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

So I was in Div Reach and there were a group of people who were dancing as Ursans with ursan Tonics. And I got in the middle and started playing an instrument and they liked having me there. A Game Dev came and Asked me to move from the middle of their group and I didn’t really feel like it, and kept playing…He wanted a picture I guess, And out of nowhere I got DCed and I logged right back in in the middle of them all again, and got instantly DCed again. The next time I logged back in I didn’t get DCed again, I assumed he got his picture. I felt like the DCing was probably against a rule or something, and I confronted him about it asking if it was against a rule to DC me like that and he just ignored me. The Dev’s name was kitten y.

That’s pretty serious abuse of power. They can definitely check records and confirm that this indeed happened. You should definitely get some action on this sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Despite the OP being childish for not moving, an Anet employee should not abuse their power like that (if the story’s true). It’s not about who started it here, Anet people should realize they are the face of the company they represent. It’s a matter of professionalism.

We only have one side of the story though. No screen shots. No nothing. Did the Anet employee, who allegedly disconnected him, have other motive than specified. I mean the OP is saying that dev probably wanted to take a screen shot, but he’s theorizing. He didn’t say the dev wanted to take a screen shot.

Anyway, no real reason to believe one way or the other…but my gut says there’s something here we’re not hearing.

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

I don’t know, this sounds iffy (troll) to me. It’s been said in numerous threads before by devs that on live servers they don’t have any special commands. I’d call d/cing another player a special command.

Maybe naive but I’d rather trust anet than random forum poster #277367 with no evidence.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

An employee of any company is capable of acting outside of the authority given them by their employer. When a waiter is rude to you it is highly unlikely that it is because the restaurant owner has told him that he is allowed to behave in an offensive manner toward restaurant patrons.

Similarly a game company representative is quite capable of abusing his power when interacting with players.

I am not saying that the employee was abusing his company granted authority, merely that being employed by a company does not render a person automatically blameless in their interactions with that company’s customers.

I would be shocked if it turned out that Anet’s official stance toward in game moderator powers was, “do whatever you want to anyone you want at any time.” GW2 is their property, if such is their policy then it would be well within their rights. But I very much doubt such is the case.

OP, file a ticket but be aware that for all you know the other players had complained that you were griefing by interfering with their Ursan dance party. If such is the case then you got off lucky with a DC rather than a temp ban. Pushing the issue when you were engaged in an activity that might be considered griefing could get that decision to not temp ban revisited.

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

Gotta be honest, I would have just moved.

If they did abuse their power, all I say is “Lawl”

(If this happened to me I’d just shrug it off because… oh well?)

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

What a trivial issue, really.

So you disconnected twice. What harm did this cause you again?
With the lag I’ve experience the last couple of days I’ve disconnected far more by the way. I guess I have a Game Dev stalking me for the heck of it. ¬¬

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

I can corroborate some parts of the story: Specifically that there were dancing bears, that someone (presumably the OP) was standing in the middle, that the bears were okay with him being there, and that someone with an Anet tag was complaining about him ruining their shot. I wasn’t paying close enough attention to notice when and if he got dc’d, let alone whether it was deliberate or a coincidence, but here’s the screenshot I got of the incident.

Attachments:

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Interesting.
I didn’t think they’d have that power for a pic O_o
Bad for the Arenanet image.

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

So maybe d/cing players doesn’t fall under the umbrella of special commands on live servers….

Abuse of power has happened before – http://m.imgur.com/a/mhYp4

Employees can also be kitten hats.

GenoUnknown.7504

So maybe d/cing players doesn’t fall under the umbrella of special commands on live servers….

I’m not sure what’s going on in those pictures.

EDIT: I’m assuming he froze them into place.

Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

(edited by GenoUnknown.7504)

Posted by: Ilien.5302

Ilien.5302

I’m more interested in seeing how finished the Kodan are as a race. Hopefully, we’ll get them as playable too

GenoUnknown.7504

I’m more interested in seeing how finished the Kodan are as a race. Hopefully, we’ll get them as playable too

And Tengu. I’d play Tengu. All day.

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

My read on it is that the Anet person was just trash-talking or otherwise yelling at them, not that they actually did anything.

That’s actually just using a tonic transformation (Kodan use the Norn model, so they can /dance, but parts of their armor does some really weird stuff when they do). They aren’t anything close to finished or playable.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

consider yourself lucky, yesterday i was disconnected and my account was “permanently terminated” for “botting” without warning. i’ve never botted on any game and i actually don’t even know how. i’m an early start player of two years and there’s no reason to even conjecture that i do.. in the bear situation, i would have moved.. instruments can be annoying and sometimes limit the number of sounds people are hearing, also being stacked for no reason bothers me already.. the lack of civil communication in both scenarios is rather disappointing

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

It says I put “The Devs name is Kitten y” but the Dev’s name was kitten y …Without the spaces inbetween the letters lol

You mean Der py? (without the space ofc)

Also, aren’t words that are banned in the forums banned as in-game name as well?

(edited by Ettanin.8271)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Trololol.

If I have the power, I would forcefully moved TS too!

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

So you acted like a jerk in the first place, and when you were treated like one you came back here to cry and pout about it. Interesting. Funny how this could all have been avoided if you had just moved in the first place to let him get his picture.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I don’t know, this sounds iffy (troll) to me. It’s been said in numerous threads before by devs that on live servers they don’t have any special commands. I’d call d/cing another player a special command.

Maybe naive but I’d rather trust anet than random forum poster #277367 with no evidence.

oh you don’t know half of it, they can insta-ban with a right click, live while ur ingame

for example, the way you report people or add them to friendlist, that’s how they can insta-ban, so if you say something that arena doesn’t like, he/she can right click ur name, choose ban, then choose the time in terms of 3 days or 14 days or permanent

i know this because someone i know people that got banned right in front of me about 30 seconds after he said something bad. and another one got banned 2 mins after, and we were on teamspeak so the guy told me he got bent

he did break the TOA and ROC, but the thing is, nobody reported him lmfao, he happened to be unlucky cause an arena was there and the dude got bent, so yeah arena can right click ban you, and then my dude wrote an e-mail and they told him he was reported by several people, which is a lie cause it was just us there

so yeah, arena can right click ban you, if they’re having a bad day

OH LOL and not only that, they can ban you like that on accident too, you’ll get unbanned but the whole thing is just unprofessional

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

That still doesn’t justify the dev’s actions, assuming the OP’s story is true.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

You where asked to move and you didn’t.
Maybe instead of being a jerk, you could have moved when you were asked and be kind?

I support the Dev if they did D/ced you out for the short time.
Abuse of power or not… I rather someone abuse power to bring justice than not.

It’s their game not yours. We all have the right to access to play their game but we don’t own it.

Appreciate for having the access to play or don’t play at all.
Be kind to others or leave the game.

Paradox.

You would think Anet would’ve cautioned devs by now about doing these sorts of things on a whim after the whole Escape from Lion’s Arch quaggan-dev-afk-kicking/banning-to-let-a-guild’s-members-join-their-overflow fiasco by now.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Ilien.5302

Ilien.5302

My read on it is that the Anet person was just trash-talking or otherwise yelling at them, not that they actually did anything.

That’s actually just using a tonic transformation (Kodan use the Norn model, so they can /dance, but parts of their armor does some really weird stuff when they do). They aren’t anything close to finished or playable.

Oh, alright. I’m a sad panda now.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

A player with the A-net tag, is just a normal player and doesn’t have any dev powers, the in-game devs are invisible or take form of inanimate objects

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Yargesh.4965

A player with the A-net tag, is just a normal player and doesn’t have any dev powers, the in-game devs are invisible or take form of inanimate objects

Don’t think so. A dev posted today in another thread exactly what employees look like in game when reping the company.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Don’t think so. A dev posted today in another thread exactly what employees look like in game when reping the company.

All A.Net employees can use the tag/icon. But not all employees have GM powers.

You’ll notice the A.Net employee isn’t named GM Der_py.

Zoso.8279

IF and that is a VERY BIG IF this is truly it is very disheartening. True it is their game but we bought it so that in turn makes it ours also (even if its just a little bit). Being a D*** is not something i condone i’ve been preaching respect all over this forum but developers SHOULD NOT abuse their power just because they want a picture. D*** or not abuse of power is never something that should happen and would be a reason for me to rethink even wanting to join a community. I hope this is all falls and if it isn’t I hope actions be taken against that developer. IF and remember a very BIG if they wanted a picture and they couldn’t they should have just left that instance. The crowed would have trolled that player to death and he would have a lot more enemies and broken reputation. Just look at this post! Look how many are already attacking the OP. THAT would be the punishment. The problem is not being disconnected its the ABUSE of power. And please don’t misunderstand me I think the OP is a D*** and ill be putting him in my ignore list I hope to have a community full of “whiteknights” lol or better put RESPECTFUL players. (realistically I know that is impossible but at least the majority 80/20%)

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Back at Anets office “Player acting obnoxious on purpose? Any way of removing him?”

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Abuse of power or not… I rather someone abuse power to bring justice than not.

It’s their game not yours. We all have the right to access to play their game but we don’t own it.

Oh yeah, you mean like Guantanamo Bay ? Where they took innocent people from all over the world, and just stripped them of dignity, humanity. Where they treated these innocent people worse than animals just because they’re Muslim ? Where they basically tortured them just to take it out on them ? Oh yeah, real justice that is.

It seems to me that whoever is in power, is the person that dictates what ’’justice’’ is with tyranny and abhorrent apathy.

Remember that ’’justice’’ is a human concept. We made it up. We created it. The universe does not love anyone or hate anyone. We do. Us. Humans. So don’t talk about the sense of justice as if it’s universal and a fact. It’s subjective and it’s based on personal feelings and cultural norms.

Don’t talk about justice as if it’s global, as if people have the same sense of justice, because we dont. What some call justice others call a despicable abhorrent display of inhumanity and apathy and while other call some things a despicable abhorrent display of inhumanity and apathy your kind calls it Justice.

Not that your mind is capable of comprehending the subject of Justice in any other way than ones and zeros, but hey, maybe I sparked up a few of your brain cells if nothing more which in my opinion makes it worth my time.

YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE NORTH, JON SNOW !! THE WINTER IS COMING !!1

get some basic philosophical training, seriously.

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

So even after you were told to move because you was blocking his kodak moment you refuse to move. That sounds like Griefing to me. Also like others have already mention so far we’ve only heard your side of the story. I hope this does not turn out to be like one of those " I just got Banned for no reason, Honest to god I didn’t do anything wrong" and then Anent paste the log of what actually happen and suddenly we never hear from OP ever again….? I must admit all these years of playing mmo I have never heard of a case where GM have this uncanny ability to continuously disconnect you from the game.

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

IF and that is a VERY BIG IF this is truly it is very disheartening. True it is their game but we bought it so that in turn makes it ours also (even if its just a little bit)……

You don’t even own it a little bit. You only buy the licence to use the software.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I see a load of conspiracy rubbish here (no surprises there then) but no hard facts, other than the OP deliberately getting in the way of a photo opportunity. Even the screenshot does little to give the OP any credibility.

As far as I can tell, the OP got randomly disconnected and came running to the forums to cry foul after trolling a few people in-game.

Just another day on the GW2 forums then.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Zoso.8279

About justice being a human concept maybe or maybe not but compassion and love is very much universal. All animals have a sense of compassion and love see any animal documentary and that is obvious! Chimpanzees for examples when another is attacked or “sad” they walk up and hug and groom them for them to feel better it is a FACT. Justice you can debate but compassion and love are universal just how fear and anger are universal.

Necromancer Main

Zoso.8279

IF and that is a VERY BIG IF this is truly it is very disheartening. True it is their game but we bought it so that in turn makes it ours also (even if its just a little bit)……

You don’t even own it a little bit. You only buy the licence to use the software.

You own it more then the person who pirates it. The same for playing in a public field. I play Futbol or soccer for americans and we have to buy permits to give us the “right” to play there. It is mostly so they are not liable if we get hurt but we “own” the right to play there.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I have generally found whenever someone posts about how an Arena.net dev was “abusing their power”, that what you hear is a carefully edited portion of everything that happened…

Kinda like the WvW link provided earlier, the one that conveniently leaves out the portion BEFORE the Arena.net employee pops his tag, the part where the GvGers were harassing this seemingly normal player for daring to be in the same area as their attempt at GvG.

(And bear in mind, the GvG incident proved to be much ado about nothing. No one was banned or reprimanded outside of the incident).

There’s other unanswered questions about this story as well, as have been mentioned earlier in this thread. I don’t want to judge, but as of right now, I’m not buying the OPs tale at all.