Game Dev abusing power? Any way to report it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

You should have moved anyway, regardless of whether or not they d/ced you.

You have the right to play Gw2 as long as you follow the TOS, and complying with requests from moderation is part of the TOS.

All you had to do was let the poor guy get a shot of the bears (move for 3 seconds), and you cant even prove he actually dc’d you at that.

Is this actually a thing?

[Toning this down because it may be more grating than necessary]

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

You shouldn’t have moved op.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, I’m not going to take sides (or try not to anyway), but I look at it this way.

We’ve been told that the majority of Anet accounts in the live servers don’t have these types of privileges. As I tend to be a person that believes in “innocent until proven guilty” I wouldn’t automatically assume the dev in question was necessarily abusing anything. It really just might have been a poorly timed coincidence. However, that said, since the OP is obviously feeling wronged, he should definitely put in a support ticket and have the matter looked it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

[redacted]

15 char

(edited by Elestian.6134)

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

So, I’m not going to take sides (or try not to anyway), but I look at it this way.

We’ve been told that the majority of Anet accounts in the live servers don’t have these types of privileges. As I tend to be a person that believes in “innocent until proven guilty” I wouldn’t automatically assume the dev in question was necessarily abusing anything. It really just might have been a poorly timed coincidence. However, that said, since the OP is obviously feeling wronged, he should definitely put in a support ticket and have the matter looked it.

Well said.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

He didn’t.

Attachments:

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

He didn’t.

I know.

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

Supposing this is real, the Guild Wars 2 Conduct Breaches & Outcomes states the following:

“We’ve created our Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (the “Rules of Conduct”) to make sure that Guild Wars 2 is a safe, fun game environment for all players. The Rules of Conduct contain restrictions on bad language and in-game behavior, and on inappropriate names that may be rude, crude, or socially unacceptable. They contain protections for you, so your privacy is maintained, and for us, as developer and publisher of Guild Wars 2 , so that the integrity of the game is preserved.

So, by blocking someone’s picture how is that compromising the integrity of the game?

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Lawwl I hope you weren’t looking for sympathy. He should have disabled your account for 24 hours

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Lawwl I hope you weren’t looking for sympathy. He should have disabled your account for 24 hours

He has my sympathy. If true, the dev should be fired.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Supposing this is real, the Guild Wars 2 Conduct Breaches & Outcomes states the following:

“We’ve created our Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (the “Rules of Conduct”) to make sure that Guild Wars 2 is a safe, fun game environment for all players. The Rules of Conduct contain restrictions on bad language and in-game behavior, and on inappropriate names that may be rude, crude, or socially unacceptable. They contain protections for you, so your privacy is maintained, and for us, as developer and publisher of Guild Wars 2 , so that the integrity of the game is preserved.

So, by blocking someone’s picture how is that compromising the integrity of the game?

It’s funny how people seem to defend Anet because “ToS!”. :/ Apparently, they are okay with having random tests of obedience however Anet sees fit and be reprimanded if you don’t obey regardless of how odd the demand is. The OP was denied his right to play (even if it was just for a couple of seconds) because a dev didn’t want him in his screenshot. I didn’t know we were playing Mad King Says.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Take it to support the thread will be deleted if you keep it up.

I hate how true this is.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

Ask yourself if you could report someone for standing in your way while you want to take a screenshot.

And if you’re coming to the same conclusion like me, ask yourself if a GM should be allowed to take actions against a player standing in his way while taking a screenshot. A screenshot probably taken for his or her personal archive and not for the PR department or any other “official” ANet stuff.

That said, it remains unclear if the DCs really were caused by this GM (or what rank he might have). So: I can’t judge the situation, but from my opinion, it definitively needs to be investigated.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Actually OP you don’t have any rights at all. Anet isn’t America. It’s Tyria.

I almost cried at how nonsensical this is. Is that seriously an argument against a blatant abuse of power (if that is indeed what happened)?

There is zero chance this is not against the rules, because I presume ANet has rules for their developers, and any decent human beings would include “don’t kittening boot players because they’re annoying you, that’s not cool.”

And the comparison to America is pretty laughable… we all know what happens if you get on the mods’ bad side in real life…

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Azure The Heartless.3261

It’s funny how people seem to defend Anet because “ToS!”. :/ Apparently, they are okay with having random tests of obedience however Anet sees fit and be reprimanded if you don’t obey regardless of how odd the demand is. I didn’t know we were playing Mad King Says.

So, agreeing to do something when you create an account but not doing it when it’s supposedly asked of you because it’s deemed as ‘odd’, but in no way requires significant effort on your part, is just fine?

11. You will follow the instructions of authorized personnel while in Guild Wars 2 or on the official Guild Wars 2 website.”

Of course, this is assuming that the DC wasn’t just a fluke. if it was, this whole thread should not exist.

Is it -that- hard to show a little respect for a mod? for just a couple of seconds? It’s far from Mad King Says.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

11. You will follow the instructions of authorized personnel while in Guild Wars 2 or on the official Guild Wars 2 website.”

Somehow I don’t think “move plz” was what they had in mind when they wrote that.

Don’t be nitpicky about the letter of the law. If anyone would use that rule to justify this alleged behavior, that is an equally distasteful abuse of power.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Leo Paul.1659

It’s funny how people seem to defend Anet because “ToS!”. :/ Apparently, they are okay with having random tests of obedience however Anet sees fit and be reprimanded if you don’t obey regardless of how odd the demand is. I didn’t know we were playing Mad King Says.

So, agreeing to do something when you create an account but not doing it when it’s supposedly asked of you because it deemed as ‘odd’, but in no way requires significant effort on your part, is just fine?

Of course, this is assuming that the DC wasn’t just a fluke. if it was, this whole thread should not exist.

Is it -that- hard to show a little respect for a mod? for just a couple of seconds? It’s far from Mad King Says.

I didn’t sign away my consumer rights against unfair practices when I clicked it.

Let’s see how you’d feel when you get kicked out of the game just because a dev didn’t like how your character looks at that particular moment (not Kodan in this instance).

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

There is very little information that we have to make any sort of reasonable assumption of what actually took place. We have the OPs statement, (who may or may not be a troll, we don’t know) and a screen shot from someone else who was there. So instead of jumping to conclusions, and saying that the Dev was abusing his power, or even that the OP was griefing or trolling, or just had a bad connection that coincided with his DC and the timing of the devs statements.

We can speculate all day long about what actually happened, but remember we don’t really know anything about what happened.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Azure The Heartless.3261

So, agreeing to do something when you create an account but not doing it when it’s supposedly asked of you because it deemed as ‘odd’, but in no way requires significant effort on your part, is just fine?

I didn’t sign away my consumer rights against unfair practices when I clicked it.

Let’s see how you’d feel when you get kicked out of the game just because a dev didn’t like how your character looks at that particular moment (not Kodan in this instance).

This is quite true.

However, I wouldn’t be ticked if an admin wanted to do something, asked me to move, and kicked me for a second because I didn’t want to. I would consider that fair game.

If an admin was kicking people based on appearance, then we’d have a case, imo.

Again this assumes he did any kicking at all

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

So, agreeing to do something when you create an account but not doing it when it’s supposedly asked of you because it’s deemed as ‘odd’, but in no way requires significant effort on your part, is just fine?

‘naked dance or ban’

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Is it really too much trouble for you to move for 5 seconds so he can get his picture? I’d DC you if I were the dev too lol.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Can there be abuse of power inside a system, yes. Is it a company’s fault as a whole? Not exactly. Don’t blame the whole thing for a few bad eggs.

But there are a few holes in the whole accusation. He DC’d. He said it, thats all we have to go off of. I can say a rep did a lot of things to abuse power and post a screen shot of a dev in a pic. I mean, i can say I was DC’d 5 times before the mean rep would let me play again.

When you go into a case like this, you need to do examine all aspects and history in the conversation and account control. as the public, we won’t have access to chat history or anything like that.

Which brings me to the point of all of this. What was the point in posting this here? The first thing that shouldve been done was go to support. The forums would do nothing for it, and in all honesty there are more important threads out there that Devs (not reps) should be focusing on in the game. This shouldve just went straight to support.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

He has my sympathy. If true, the dev should be fired.

If true, he has my sympathy too. I find it very similar to how threads are sometimes treated here on the forums.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Is it really too much trouble for you to move for 5 seconds so he can get his picture? I’d DC you if I were the dev too lol.

‘respect mah authoritah’

Edited to not be so rude.

(edited by Nevets Crimsonwing.5271)

Azure The Heartless.3261

‘naked dance or ban’

“do something potentially embarrassing or I’ll ban you” vs “please step aside for a second or youll be dced for two seconds.”

Again, case built in the former, not in the latter; for me.

also the case isn’t severe enough to compare to the current events. let’s not do that much longer apart from:

If I am standing in the middle of an escalator, and a cop asks me to move for just a second, it would be silly to cry about my feelings getting hurt if he nudged me out of the way because I didn’t move.

Being Dced for a couple seconds is not akin to a gunshot or a ban. come on now.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

‘naked dance or ban’

“do something potentially embarrassing or I’ll ban you” vs “please step aside for a second or youll be dced for two seconds.”

Again, case built in the former, not in the latter.

What’s the moral difference? Either situation is causing unwarranted harm.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Clearly you were ruining his game mode and needed disciplined.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I’m almost positive that no employee or representative from Anet has any special ingame powers. The only thing that sets their account apart from others is the icon above their heads and some of the devs may have some debugging tools but nothing that will allow them Dc an individual player or I’m sure this would be happen more often. I have seen people ingame taunting Anet rep to try and get banned but nothing happened so I’m positive if there was a disconnection it was most likely just a coincident. They may have the ability to ban but I think it still has to go threw channels to make sure it was a bannable offense and that the action was taken on the right parties involved. Still you were asked to move on so they could get a screen shoot. Would you do this in real life if you were waking along and someone was taking a picture you would most likely go around or wait till they were finished get a clue. Your actions in game reflect your actions in real life.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

(edited by Feirlista Xv.1425)

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Clearly you were ruining his game mode and needed disciplined.

You’re speaking about the dev, right?

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I’m almost positive that no employee or representative from Anet has any special ingame powers. The only thing that sets their account apart from others is the icon above their heads and some of the devs may have some debugging tools but nothing that will allow them Dc an individual player or I’m sure this would be happen more often. I have seen people ingame taunting Anet rep to try and get banned but nothing happened so I’m positive if there was a disconnection it was most likely just a coincident. They may have the ability to ban but I think it still has to go threw channels to make sure it was a bannable offense and that the action was taken on the right parties involved.

If true anet should come in here, confirm that, and close this thread.

Azure The Heartless.3261

‘naked dance or ban’

Being disconnected from a game for two seconds is unwarranted harm?

Enlighten me while keeping a straight face.

[Obvious assumption RE: truth of OP statement]

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Would you do the same irl? I mean, making everyone move because you didn’t want to get out of the way for a few secs

Well-deserved DC

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

‘naked dance or ban’

Op was having fun playing music in front of the bears. Dev interrupted him, twice apparently.

Was the op doing anything he didn’t have the ‘right’ to do? No. Thus any retributive action against him causing an interruption in his enjoyment is unwarranted.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Would you do the same irl? I mean, making everyone move because you didn’t want to get out of the way for a few secs

Well-deserved DC

Would you knock someone in front of a moving train because he was standing in YOUR way?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I figured I had a right to not do it if I didn’t want to. I wasnt breaking any rules or anything. Are Devs supposed to use power like that? They want a picture so they will DC me more than once to get it?

Screw you, I do what I want, huh. Have you ever heard of a thing called kindness?

GOOD ANSWER.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

No offense but I would do the same if I had the power to do that.

Seriously,you are playing THEIR GAME (ok,you paid for it,but you paid to play it,not to own it) and they ASKED if you could leave,and you “didn’t feel like it” ?

What if you was in someone else’s party and he asked you to move away a bit so he could take a picture of the..lets say,cake,would you say “no”? I mean,the owner of the party would just kick you from his house.

This is just rude.

Azure The Heartless.3261

‘naked dance or ban’

Op was having fun playing music in front of the bears. Dev interrupted him, twice apparently.

Was the op doing anything he didn’t have the ‘right’ to do? No. Thus any retributive action against him causing an interruption in his enjoyment is unwarranted.

Touche. Playing music is enjoyment, unwarranted interruption of that would be harm.

Good point.

That being said I still cant side with “not moving for 3 seconds” so the mod could get a picture. (Assuming this happened etc youknow.).

Grey and grey morality for me. One more leaning toward “you cant tell me what to do” and the other leaning toward “I’ll make you do what I want.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’m fairly certain that ArenaNet has previously stated that game developers do not have any in-game abilities. Only GMs do and all GMs are identified as a GM with “GM” in their name.

As this ArenaNet employee is NOT a GM, there is no way this ArenaNet employee could have caused the OP to disconnect.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Azure The Heartless.3261

I’m fairly certain that ArenaNet has previously stated that game developers do not have any in-game abilities. Only GMs do and all GMs are identified as a GM with “GM” in their name.

As this ArenaNet employee is NOT a GM, there is no way this ArenaNet employee could have caused the OP to disconnect.

If true, OP whine to the max, close ok

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

‘naked dance or ban’

Touche. Playing music is enjoyment, unwarranted interruption of that would be harm.

Good point.

That being said I still cant side with “not moving for 3 seconds” so the mod could get a picture. (Assuming this happened etc youknow.).

Grey and grey morality for me. One more leaning toward “you cant tell me what to do” and the other leaning toward “I’ll make you do what I want.”

I think if the dev said ‘hey so and so, I’d like to get a pic of these guys, would you mind stepping aside for a sec’ it would have been nice for the op to oblige. But he also had the right to enjoy the game and shouldn’t be punished unless he was doing something he wasn’t supposed to be doing.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Interesting.
I didn’t think they’d have that power for a pic O_o
Bad for the Arenanet image.

It’s WORSE for the image of the community when it’s QUITE CLEAR from the screenshot the DEVs were trying to get a screeny without RUDE INTRUSIONS and the community purposely interferes.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The person was asked (poorly) to move. I will agree that moving would have been the nice thing to do. But he had every right to say “no”, and not be punished for it. He wasn’t griefing anyone or causing any problems. This wasn’t a GM performing company duties for the good of the game, this was an ANet employee trying to get a screenshot.

IF they were DCed for not moving, then the person that did it needs to be dealt with. ANet then also needs to explain why that person had the power to do that, when they’ve said that they don’t carry that power on their normal accounts.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If the ArenaNet guy did cause it, it would mean they were at work and familiar enough with the system to cause it (as in a support or server admin like role), or called a “friend”.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think most people in this thread want to hear or believe that. They are too busy running around with pitchforks and torches screaming, “Evil Dev!” , because the OP gave them a reason to.

The Burninator

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Well-deserved DC

Would you knock someone in front of a moving train because he was standing in YOUR way?

So, wait. Assuming that the GM did kick him (unsubstantiated assumption), did the soft kick for a mere moment amount to being hit by a train in your mind?

Leo Paul.1659

The dev in question has another account that CAN kick him. He’s done it before and he admitted so himself on another screenie in another incident challenging his abuse of authority. Heck you can even check his twitter account and see for yourself that he’s the same person.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Palador.2170

Interesting.
I didn’t think they’d have that power for a pic O_o
Bad for the Arenanet image.

It’s WORSE for the image of the community when it’s QUITE CLEAR from the screenshot the DEVs were trying to get a screeny without RUDE INTRUSIONS and the community purposely interferes.

Odd, I didn’t see a rude intrusion by the OP there. The bears were fine with having him there. Nor do I see anything to suggest that the ANet person was there first. In fact, there IS a rude intrusion there, but not by the OP.

Planned or not, he had become part of the event. For an outsider to insist that he leave is rude. It would be like a photographer saying “Okay, it’s time for the team photo. But I only want the good players. Mike, you need to step aside for a minute.”

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

‘respect mah authoritah’

Edited to not be so rude.

Not sure what your original post was, but I got the reference and laughed. Seriously though, it’s just common decency to step aside when someone wants to get a picture.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I don’t mean to sound rude or anything, but I think that if you have a complaint about a player’s behaviour, it should have been done privately by submitting a ticket to support – whether they are a dev or not.

Also, to the guy posting a pic: submitting a picture is uncool – again whether it’s a dev or not.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Palador.2170

I don’t mean to sound rude or anything, but I think that if you have a complaint about a player’s behaviour, it should have been done privately by submitting a ticket to support – whether they are a dev or not.

Also, to the guy posting a pic: submitting a picture is uncool – again whether it’s a dev or not.

Actually, that pic is fine.

It shows who was there, but there’s no accusations made in that pic or the post that goes with it. It simply confirms that there was a person playing an instrument there, the bears were okay with it, and a person from ANet asked them to move.

That’s all it shows, and it’s quite within forum guidelines.