Game Mode: cPvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

First off, Yes I am pulling mechanics from other games and other types of games. Yes, this is going to sound similar to orcs must die as I do know and like the concept, but as I havent actually ever played it, some similarities are going to be unintentional.

Basic Idea

cPvE is competitive PvE. yes, thats could be done essentially using races through a dungeon, but, hopefully, this idea is a bit more interesting.

2 or more teams are placed in identical instances. The maps, if looked at from an overhead view, will look like tower defense maps. In 1 place on the map there is an npc, a shrine, an npc building a shrine, whatever, being protected. The goal is to protect it from waves of progressively more difficult mobs. The base (you will see why I say base in a minute) composition of the wave will be the same between instances. Points are accumulated and, at the end of some time limit or when all other teams have lost their defended object/npc winners are declared or, in the case of more than 2 teams rankings, and rewards are handed out.

Scoring

Scoring in something like this could be as simple as a set number of point per kill based on mob rank (normal, vet, elite, champ) and a bonus per completed wave. But, it can get more complex and more interesting.

Other things that could be done include allowing an individual team to, at the beginning of the match, increase the HP or attack of all mobs for a point multiplier. or allow champs to spawn minions for a multiplier on champs. or give various mob ranks extra aoe attacks, increase the number of mobs per wave. disabling elite skills, Or apply a level of agony for an ending point multiplier

During the match bonus points for an individual wave may be earned by calling the next wave early or some things that will be mentioned in the net section.

of course, if you add these multipliers and then lose your defended target, you still lose.

You could also have bonuses given to the party that has the fewest downs or deaths, gathers the most tokens (discussed in a minute), highest ending health/least health lost of defended target or any number of other instance based achievements (think bonus stars from the mario party games).

That Guy.5704

More potential mechanics

This is where the orcs must die/TD idea comes more into play. As you progress, you can collect tokens (instance bound, disappear when the round is over) that allow you to buy upgrades for your map. You can place things like pike traps, wall mounted flamethrower/glue guns/ice cannons/etc that place conditions on the mobs. You could buy a turret/banner/some kind of boon provider that slowly heals your defense target or that provides a permanent or intermittent stack of might, regen, protection etc on your party. These things can be placed anywhere on the mob (though obviously whatever the target is should be within range to be affected by it). In order to do this, one of the party members would be preselected by their party as the “captain” Whenever they want, the captain can enter “captain mode” this makes the captain invisible, invulnerable, has swiftness, but is unable to use any attacks, skills or resurrect. In this mode, the captain can move freely through the map and buy/place the above items. when leaving captain mode, he is automatically teleported to either the place where he entered captain mode or to a place next to the defense target.

You could even, for another score bonus per affected mob, place items that give a boon to the mobs

Maps

as I mentioned, maps would be inspired by tower defense games. In the easier maps, you could have the mobs path through areas that are on different levels but in similar locations in the x/y plane allowing ranged characters to get some hits on them before they get to the party. Easier maps would also have 1 path through which all the mobs go. As maps are more difficult multiple paths would appear and converge or single paths diverge. The most difficult style maps would place the defended target at the merging point of 3, 4 or 5 different paths on which a single wave of mobs is split up. This would make placing condition generators effect far fewer mobs unless placed right next to the defended target.

easier maps could also start with boon generaters for the players and condition generators for the mobs whereas harder maps could have condition generators on the paths that effect the players essentially pushing them closer to the defense target and/or boon generators for the mobs.

That Guy.5704

wave composition

This could be done a couple of different ways. It could be pre-determined randomly but based on a dungeon, a group (a dredge version, hylek version, skritt version, risen, branded, etc), a map (drytop, southsun cove, etc) or any number of other things.

There could also be a mode where mobs are completely randomly generated. A wave might consist of inquest, ice golems and a karka.

other considerations

In my opinion, with something like this, gear should be handled similarly to spvp. You will have a cPvE build and everyone scaled to some level.

The map difficulty level would be selected by the party creating that instance of the competition. The difficulty of the map based on the things mentioned under “maps” would be identical for everyone in that particular competition.

Other score multipliers as mentioned earlier like allowing champs to spawn minions, increasing mob hp, increasing number per wave, etc. would be specific to the map that a particular team is on. It is meant to give a slightly higher risk-reward.

loot

Reward tracks like in sPvP as a reward for winning would be in order. For themed versions (see wave composition) The track could give weapons/armor with skins based on the map or group as well as champion boxes as would normally drop from those types of champs.

It would also be reasonable to have a chest at the end that gave some general loot that is normally dropped by those types of mobs with quantities based on the number of completed waves. By this, I am just talking about crafting materials, lootbags, and a chance at higher (rare-exotic) level armor/weapons or even a direct drop at one of the above mentioned skins. I know some people will complain they dont need more crafting materials, but they would probably also complain about all those mobs giving no drops. I mention crafting items as in addition to what the normal rewards for completion and winning would be.

In the completion chest, some other location specific items could also be given. for instance, Do the cursed shore mode, get an orrian jewelry box or 3 for completion. Southsun would give some extra karka shells. Dry top: zephyr keys, foxfire. CoE based has a shot at charged lodestone, CoF at molten. Inquest based might give watchwork sprockets.

Of course, all this would need to be balanced out. you dont want (well, you would probably want it but it would be way out of balance) to have 1 20 minute run here to be the equivalent of 3 hours elsewhere

(edited by That Guy.5704)

That Guy.5704

reserving this in case I think of something else.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

We already have competitive PvE.

http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/14161191-dnt-gwscrcom-present-dungeon-speed-clear-open-fall-2014

And that’s the second tournament, we held one a little while ago.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Lol competitive PvE, only skip and stack. EZ

No tank, no skill.

That Guy.5704

We already have competitive PvE.

http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/14161191-dnt-gwscrcom-present-dungeon-speed-clear-open-fall-2014

And that’s the second tournament, we held one a little while ago.

and I quote myself

“yes, that could be done essentially using races through a dungeon, but, hopefully, this idea is a bit more interesting.”

That Guy.5704

No tank, no skill.

If you read what my suggestion was as opposed to the first line, you will see that I am not taking about speed dungeons. Skip mobs here and you will lose. Of course, if you just want to run in do a boss and get out, then of coure you wouldnt like this.

Posted by: Leodious.5671

Leodious.5671

This is an awesome idea. Different, sounds fun. It’s the kind of thing I like in games like Dungeon Defenders. I don’t know how difficult it would be to create, or how many people would enjoy such a thing, but it is a very cool idea. Something like this is much better than speed clears. I hate skipping mobs. It feels wrong. It feels like cheating.

That said, I do not support the devs working on anything else until the camera issues are fixed and we have access to first-person view.

But if they every do fix that, I think team wave defense is a very cool idea. They already have the mechanics to do waves, as just about every story instance has some waves, and so I’m sure they’ve worked that out.

All that said, this is a very different kind of map than exists in the game so far, and I’m not sure it’s something that fits with Anet’s plans. There are games where you can do something somewhat similar to this, though it isn’t as cool as this sounds like it would be.

That Guy.5704

This is an awesome idea. Different, sounds fun. It’s the kind of thing I like in games like Dungeon Defenders. I don’t know how difficult it would be to create, or how many people would enjoy such a thing, but it is a very cool idea. Something like this is much better than speed clears. I hate skipping mobs. It feels wrong. It feels like cheating.

That said, I do not support the devs working on anything else until the camera issues are fixed and we have access to first-person view.

But if they every do fix that, I think team wave defense is a very cool idea. They already have the mechanics to do waves, as just about every story instance has some waves, and so I’m sure they’ve worked that out.

All that said, this is a very different kind of map than exists in the game so far, and I’m not sure it’s something that fits with Anet’s plans. There are games where you can do something somewhat similar to this, though it isn’t as cool as this sounds like it would be.

thanks for the positive words. Having focussed on living world and story content, you are right that it probably doesnt fit nicely in their current goals. On the other hand, since living story is centered on the dragons, instead of cPvE you could call it the “Vigil Training Grounds” or “Vigil Tournaments” and release it as a part of the story as further training for dragon fighting…. or something like that but that might be forcing it a little haha.

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

There were similar challenge missions in GW1 and they never ended up being very popular as far as I know. They had leaderboards (ingame) and offered unique rewards for hero armor.

It would be fun IMO as an activity though to have something like this… just don’t call it competitive :P.

That Guy.5704

There were similar challenge missions in GW1 and they never ended up being very popular as far as I know. They had leaderboards (ingame) and offered unique rewards for hero armor.

It would be fun IMO as an activity though to have something like this… just don’t call it competitive :P.

I didnt play gw1 too much so I dont know what that was like

As an activity for a single party or competitive between groups, either way. Everything really would work for either version. Im not really dead set on it being competitive with multiple teams. I know just being called “competitive” would probably dissuade some people

Posted by: RealBGB.9132

RealBGB.9132

One that would be cool (But not near as simple to create) would be a labyrinth race.

You would have a goal in the middle with two or more mirrored paths (depending on the amount of teams) where you have to fight waves and/or do puzzles to open gates with the first team to get all 5 to the middle wins.

Though I doubt either your or my idea would ever be implemented, but we can dream right?

Its okay to be a little Goofy

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

One that would be cool (But not near as simple to create) would be a labyrinth race.

You would have a goal in the middle with two or more mirrored paths (depending on the amount of teams) where you have to fight waves and/or do puzzles to open gates with the first team to get all 5 to the middle wins.

Though I doubt either your or my idea would ever be implemented, but we can dream right?

That’s not true. There are activities in the game and we know at least 3 more are potentially planned (polymock, bar brawl, archery range). These type of things are fun IMO. I personally am almost done the sanctum sprint 250 wins because I play it pretty often when it’s an activity.

That Guy.5704

Yea I tried to pull elements that were basically already implemented and combine them in a new way. The biggest issue I see with labyrinth races would be people memorizing a particular map and then its just dungeon races. Now, if they can manage to procedurally generate maps…

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

More PvE gamemodes can’t be a bad thing!

Seems fun. Never played Dungeon Defenders, watched people play it but didn’t catch my eye. If it was in GW2 I’d definitely give it a shot. Not caring about the competitive part of it, but perhaps linking scores to leaderboards that offer up lottery/random prizes to those at the top would keep people pushing to make the top score for the week (although limit how many times a single account could claim a certain rank prize every month).

Now if you’re ‘competing’ against another team, are the buffs you can place on enemies with tokens, are those aimed at the opposing teams’ enemies or just all enemies? I think that might be a cool mechanic, to sort of sabotage the opposing team by buffing their enemies for a wave, or calling their wave sooner.

Off topic, I like the idea of adding dungeon modes to keep the game fresh. One idea I proposed is expand (yet limit) mob attacks in dungeons. What I mean is, you have a dungeon boss…and yeah, once you understand the fight, it’s not too tough to tackle…now the next time you enter the same dungeon, that same boss might have a set of completely different skills. Now randomize the different sets said boss will use with each instance…and for the gods’ sake, at least have 1 of those sets not be taken down by stack-tactics.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

So… it’s still all about rushing?

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

No tank, no skill.

Ah yes, the elite PvE skillz of traditional dungeon groups. One dude spam taunts on mobs, face them away from everyone, 3 people mash DPS skillz, last person stare at health bars spamming heals. Soooo much more skill, you’re right.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

That Guy.5704

More PvE gamemodes can’t be a bad thing!

Seems fun. Never played Dungeon Defenders, watched people play it but didn’t catch my eye. If it was in GW2 I’d definitely give it a shot. Not caring about the competitive part of it, but perhaps linking scores to leaderboards that offer up lottery/random prizes to those at the top would keep people pushing to make the top score for the week (although limit how many times a single account could claim a certain rank prize every month).

Now if you’re ‘competing’ against another team, are the buffs you can place on enemies with tokens, are those aimed at the opposing teams’ enemies or just all enemies? I think that might be a cool mechanic, to sort of sabotage the opposing team by buffing their enemies for a wave, or calling their wave sooner.

The scoreboards with prizes is a good balance between the 2. though I am not sure how to keep the same small group from winning constantly. restricting account wins is an idea, but this is a group based thing so either that person wouldnt be able to compete the next week or anyone he parties with is also unable to win. I dont know.

The idea of the buffs on enemies was a way to increase your personal score by buffing the mobs coming at you but also making the affected mobs worth more. In a multi-path map, this would mean that you could buff 1 path’s worth of mobs so some are worth more while others are worth the same. But you also only get a subset of the wave being more difficult.

if it is a direct competition as opposed to scoreboards, Sabotaging another map would be a very interesting mechanic. I guess if I am designing it, I would make that an option at the beginning that the teams must agree on. One problem, particularly if you allow more than 2-3 teams in 1 competition, is all teams ganging up on 1 and just dumping buffs on their mobs. Of course you can timegate sabotages that may be used by a team and timegate incoming sabotages. But it would also increase the point value of the mobs in the map of the team that got sabotaged as well perhaps even by a higher amount than if that team had buffed their own mobs.