Game Updates: Traits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beldukil.2537

Beldukil.2537

Yea, spell check just messed up my post.

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Is it really that hard to level without traits?
I’m one of those players that never really touched traits but I level decently by just exploring the maps and doing events.

The only thing that bother me is losing all of my points for a measly 5 points but I guess that’s the way it is with the new system shrugs

No, just very boring indeed

Progression felt a lot more natural with the previous system because you were getting progressively stronger, assuming you were keeping up to date with your trait points, which most people do! By level 30, you could have accessed a minor and major trait.

Doesn’t seem like much, but the significance is really that it makes playing more fun! It adds a bit more build diversity when you’re levelling in the early stages. Whether it’s a reduced CD for a weapon set or a significant boost to a particular set of skills, it’s a ‘reward’ for levelling up and makes playing more fun. At least for me.

With the current system, you’re effectively stuck in a rut until you hit level 30 and even then, you’re only really getting stronger every 6 levels or so.

If that doesn’t affect you, then that is great! But I liked the feeling of becoming progressively stronger and being able to make meaningful improvements to my build early on.

This current system just makes levelling extremely bland and a very boring experience. This could be off putting for new players. Even someone completely new to the game would wonder why things only get interesting build-wise at level 36.

However, I do love the instant trait switching! That is great

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

(edited by Aiglos.2907)

Posted by: BulletNG.7069

BulletNG.7069

Let me start off by saying the new Traits are freaking amazing! I really like what you did with them.

Now one suggestion that comes to mind is concerning how you unlock new traits. There was this one Warrior Trait that I wanted to unlock and it pointed me to one location in Orr. So I spent the 3 silver to travel to Orr just to find out that there is no event for me to complete. It appears that you have to wait for the Group Event to spawn and there HAS to be other people there in order to complete it.

Personally I believe this should be altered to allow people to do events when they like. Or have them as some sort of quest or dynamic event. I don’t know just a thought. I just hate having to wait for an event to spawn in order to get what I want. Typical RNG BS.

Dawn of Dementia [DUI] – Yak’s Bend
Formerly: Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

All traits reset on 10 toons

Terrible. Why? it’s free now for those that want to, why have you reset traits on all my various alts?
Where’s the button to put them all back the way they were and tweak where i want to?
I don’t even have most of them written down, so now I have 10 or so level 80 alts without traits that I have to spend time trying to remember my builds on.
And pve to unlock traits, or pay 3 gold, not great for wvw players (but that’s par for the course).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Reminder people, the trainers now SELL the skill books for these things so you can instantly learn them.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Would’ve been better if they cut the level cap to 40, refunded skill points for every level players had above that and then scaled all of the content to match.

Posted by: vikkival.2459

vikkival.2459

Is it really that hard to level without traits?
I’m one of those players that never really touched traits but I level decently by just exploring the maps and doing events.

The only thing that bother me is losing all of my points for a measly 5 points but I guess that’s the way it is with the new system shrugs

No, just very boring indeed

Progression felt a lot more natural with the previous system because you were getting progressively stronger, assuming you were keeping up to date with your trait points, which most people do! By level 30, you could have accessed a minor and major trait.

Doesn’t seem like much, but the significance is really that it makes playing more fun! It adds a bit more build diversity when you’re levelling in the early stages. Whether it’s a reduced CD for a weapon set or a significant boost to a particular set of skills, it’s a ‘reward’ for levelling up and makes playing more fun. At least for me.

With the current system, you’re effectively stuck in a rut until you hit level 30 and even then, you’re only really getting stronger every 6 levels or so.

If that doesn’t affect you, then that is great! But I liked the feeling of becoming progressively stronger and being able to make meaningful improvements to my build early on.

This current system just makes levelling extremely bland and a very boring experience. This could be off putting for new players. Even someone completely new to the game would wonder why things only get interesting build-wise at level 36.

However, I do love the instant trait switching! That is great

Ah~ Kk thanks for the reply. In a way, I can see your point.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Elementalist fire GM trait needs at least 3 targets or global ICD to address pets and random stuff proccing it.

Water GM trait is just a useless as dev could just figure out reading their previews about “the healers” even before release.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: dylm.1325

dylm.1325

I like the simplification of the traits to just a single point however you have made it so much harder for me to enjoy playing a new character. I was at level 52 with a warrior I have made for WvW roaming and i had tier 2 set up so this was still viable even when upleveled. With the new trait system I lost all my tier 2 traits and have been unable to get back to the same stats as i was even now that i am level 70. On top of that i lost out on 1 gold i spent when i turned level 40.

I am really enjoying most of the update but this makes doing anything with a low level character now impossible. I cannot see any level 80 players wanting to run dungeons or WvW with lower levels anymore. I certainly wont be going through the grind of leveling up another character after this one as it is just too painful.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

How is it “better” though?
Makes new players progress slower and the game less appealing. I looked forward to leveling and getting a bit better. now I need to level 5 times to do it?

I don’t understand why it’s a “better” system?

Absolutely. And for some classes, waiting until 80 for GM traits is just too painful. This is especially apparent for stab thieves, as one can no longer take HK at 60 and actually kill things properly for the latter 20 levels.

I also find this new system way more confusing and worse for new players. When do I get my next trait point? What do I spend it on? How do I figure out this new UI? One per level WAS easy. Five levels for an upgrade WAS easy. Skill books every 20 levels WAS easy.

That’s also not to mention how the new trait system is horrible for new players just because of the sheer cost to get traits and the SLOWNESS of progression, now. Levels feel totally insignificant and not even worth the grind. The grind feels more apparent and you don’t even notice improvements until you hit this absurd thresholds. Traits being part of one’s build should be achieved through leveling up, not as a gold sink targeted towards high levels.

And this is horrible in conjunction with the dungeon gold restrictions. One needs to now pay 43g for traits when their daily gold gets reduced to around 1/8 of what it used to be. It’s like all of the different devs were trying to solve all of the problems at once but refused to communicate and created an absolute clusterkitty.

The entire thing is abysmal.

Ferocity is a failure. People are hating on me for having said it two months ago when they released the early details, and are still yelling at me because “it’s only a day after patch.” Systematically, however, it’s a failure, and will remain a failure. It did nothing to address build diversity, and if anything, reduced it. It also ruthlessly killed the effectiveness of several other stat combinations and various builds.

The wardrobe system is alright. I feel for the people who had town clothes before, though. That was discussed extensively and it looks like it wasn’t properly executed. I like the treatment of the wardrobe and account bound items, now, but the UI is awful. Opening the character menu should bring up your gear as it used to and the little dye icon for dying. Dying shouldn’t be part of the wardrobe, just because it adds so much extra clicking. The wardrobe should be a whole separate panel in he character menu, and should always require clicking out of the character panel to get into, not the other way around.

And the megaservers? Great if you all speak the same language. Horrible for EU if you don’t, though. Quite a shame to speak French and be plopped in a German map.

The intentions were amazing with this patch, but the implementation could have almost not been worse.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

I liked the idea of unlocking traits by challenges in the open world, as it was in GW1 (elite capping). But why do all unlocks have to be connected to zerg-style content?

Posted by: qwertyrda.8291

qwertyrda.8291

I don’t know if this suggestion is already in this forum but I’d like to put in my two cents anyway.

Having the feature where you can respec the traits of your character at will, developers should also add a “traits profile” where players can save trait builds so that they can input multiple builds that fit different situations, and can implement them when those situations arise.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Let me know when you put back my traits to where they were- I really can’t face redoing 10 sets of traits when I had different builds than the cookie cutter norm.

Every change they make in this game completely ignores multiple alt playing people (statistically we’re the most likely to use the gem store btw).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: TofuShake.8027

TofuShake.8027

please change the tier level cap back!!!

I just got back into gw2 and was enjoying my new level 45 warrior build due to 2 tier traits. Now I won’t even have access to those traits till I am level 60? on top of that, I won’t be able to test out the 3 tier traits until I am max level? …this just makes me want to quit all over again.

And in response to the previous post, yes my warrior feels kitten compare to what he was before. I think this change gimps everyone who is not level 80.

…Actually I quit. Let me know when the triat system gets changed back.

(edited by TofuShake.8027)

Posted by: Zenakou.7853

Zenakou.7853

I too wish to toss my hat in the ring of this post and say that I think ANet should integrate the trait system with the old one. Players start earning traits at 10 again and if you want a trait then you have to hunt for it like the current setup. If you just want to out right buy it then it’ll cost you some low amount like copper or silver and maybe 1 skill point or no skill points. This way players aren’t kitten until they reach really high levels and those who enjoy the new GW1esque flavor they were trying to introduce get to hunt and those who liked the previous system better can just buy everything.

Posted by: Twelfth Knight.5698

Twelfth Knight.5698

Would’ve been better if they cut the level cap to 40, refunded skill points for every level players had above that and then scaled all of the content to match.

Agree.

Really appreciate the ability to swap traits on demand, but the old level 80 cap doesn’t match the new condensed trait system imo. No point in having so many levels if most of them offer no feeling of progression (only the need to upgrade your gear). As others have pointed out, the old system did mitigate the level grind by offering build choices at lower levels.

I’m lucky enough to have only 2 sub-70 characters (one in the 50s and one in the 30s), but not sure I would fancy leveling a new character now (even with the consumable that instantly raises you to 20).

Posted by: WaveyDL.6945

WaveyDL.6945

Some form of reply from the devs would be nice. I was under the impression that they are unlike EA devs and can actually talk on the forums to their players.

Are we stuck with this “better”! System that 90% of people on this topic seem to hate or is there hope for us low levels?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Making all the new traits grandmaster traits certainly doesn’t help with build diversity.

On the elementalist:
Having to invest 6 points in Fire on the ele to get the blindness on burning, 6 point in water to heal allies, 6 points in Arcana to get a short boon when hit… Why?

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Anyone notice how this screws underlevels in WvW?
It’s basically making WvW an “endgame only” thing…

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

A moderator locked my question about Personality traits and sent me here. But I’m not talking about these traits. I’m talking about Personality
Where did Charm, Dignity and Ferocity go? In character creation, you choose if you are charming, dignified or ferocious. “Trouble may follow me, but I use my _ to overcome it.” Those stats are gone from my Hero page. Not that it really matters, cuz they never made a difference in-game anyway.

(sorry to post here but the moderator told me to)

One of those traits was Ferocity. So probably this was the decision process.

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Unlock new GM traits with challenges: large group events on timers, in Orr or Southsun.
-or-
Buy new GM traits from trainer: overpriced, costing 15g and 100SP just for 1 toon!

The premise of unlocking traits with challenges isn’t bad, it’s which challenges they chose that bother me.

Anyone know what sort of challenges are required for the Adept traits for new characters? Hopefully it’s something like “complete an event in Caledon.”

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Skye.4983

Skye.4983

This new trait system is perhaps the most frustrating part of the patch. I have 9 level 80 alts. I am stuck at either spending 900 skill points and 135 gold. Or I have to kill priestess of Lyssa 9 times, Karka queen 9 times, priest of Grenth 9 times, high wizard 9 times. I have to zerg endlessly to get traits that before I was able to get automatically?

This is an improvement? Forget it, I am not wasting my time on this, I’ve already experienced those parts of the game and found lacking. I don’t want to do it over and over and over again just to unlock basic functionality on my characters. And if I can’t do that, why even play.

This patch is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

I just started a few weeks ago ankitten ow a lvl 30 warrior. I just was feeling I figured out some things and now I feel like I just got shafted. Doubt I will play anymore.

I ‘m with you on this, I’ll be finding something else to do.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You shouldn’t be actively WvWing for your server if you’re an Uplevel. That just hurts your team’s efforts to win. You should consider leveling up, and mastering the new trait lines so that you can play efficiently.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

You shouldn’t be actively WvWing for your server if you’re an Uplevel. That just hurts your team’s efforts to win. You should consider leveling up, and mastering the new trait lines so that you can play efficiently.

But leveling up is dry, boring, and tedious; it’s even worse now with the new trait changes.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: WaveyDL.6945

WaveyDL.6945

Jumping in wvwvw to get a level or 2 now and then when pve got tough was fun and I can’t imagine it hurt much. Now though…

blakdoxa.7520

Yeah and anet says play the way you want…
Personally I hate the PvE in this game with non-fract dungeons being really the only thing I actually want to do. Other than that I can’t stomach the DEs (which have been abandoned/nerfed), running the personal story more than once per race is insanity, crafting the same discipline that you’ve mastered on another toon is both costly and tedious, and mapping the same scenery over and over again is pretty crazy too.

WvW (and to a lesser extent PvP) and dungeoneering are the only things I like at this point.
Before you could have your traits from level 11 and up and you could at least steadily progress each level with the stats and eventually a minor and major trait.

Now it starts at level 30… and for any characters I have under 30, I have no traits. No extra stats. It is solely gear-dependant (“game not about gear” lol). Even then, you only gain stats every 5 levels. At least before it didn’t hurt as much to not be 80, fully spec, geared to the teeth and stocked on food buffs. Now it’s extremely detrimental to carry any sort of uplevel into WvW, especially those without traits.

WvW players get shafted again.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: RiShardV.8456

RiShardV.8456

I quickly scanned the tread but I havent seen anyone commenting on the following. I completed events at the gate of arah and the temple of grenth defeating the champions in them, but it did not unlock the trait. I can only assume this is because the event has to be an assault event and not a defend one.
Is this working as intended and if so why? Because as it is I have to wait not only for the event but also hope others wont keep succeeding the defend event.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

To try to use this constructively, I’ll say this:

I like the switch from a 70 point system to a 14 point system. Ten point stat boots were a nice little treat per level, but almost meaningless.

However, curving the traits so that Masters don’t kick in until 60 and Grandmasters at 80 kind of defeats using leveling to learn to play. As an example, my engineer started figuring out his flamethrower kit once he picked up Juggernaut at 40. Well, now I have to wait until 60 for Juggernaut to re-appear. That’s 20 more levels I get to spend with my Adept traits that really don’t help most of my kits.

You’re given more time to learn how to use your weapon and utility skills, and that’s good. As a trade off, though, you’re 80 before you even know what your Grandmasters are. And at that point, you’re led to believe you’re ready for Cursed Shore and Arah. I’m not sure if that’s entirely a good counter idea.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

since 9 in the morning (german time) i wait now for this kitten arah event on elona and always is someone making this kitten defend event

12 hours now

seriously – im kittened

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

And to add:

Being able to re-trait on the fly without having to go back to a trainer or spend silver is a really good thing.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Personally I hate the PvE in this game with non-fract dungeons being really the only thing I actually want to do. Other than that I can’t stomach the DEs (which have been abandoned/nerfed), running the personal story more than once per race is insanity, crafting the same discipline that you’ve mastered on another toon is both costly and tedious, and mapping the same scenery over and over again is pretty crazy too.

WvW (and to a lesser extent PvP) and dungeoneering are the only things I like at this point.
Before you could have your traits from level 11 and up and you could at least steadily progress each level with the stats and eventually a minor and major trait.

Now it starts at level 30… and for any characters I have under 30, I have no traits. No extra stats. It is solely gear-dependant (“game not about gear” lol). Even then, you only gain stats every 5 levels. At least before it didn’t hurt as much to not be 80, fully spec, geared to the teeth and stocked on food buffs. Now it’s extremely detrimental to carry any sort of uplevel into WvW, especially those without traits.

I still don’t see how the new trait system hurts your WvWing at all. From what I can tell, it’s your lv 30 characters fighting fully geared lv 80s is what’s actually hurting you.

At least with this system, there’s a sense of progression. The higher level you get, the more viable your character will be in WvW.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I still don’t see how the new trait system hurts your WvWing at all. From what I can tell, it’s your lv 30 characters fighting fully geared lv 80s is what’s actually hurting you.

At least with this system, there’s a sense of progression. The higher level you get, the more viable your character will be in WvW.

the idea was to create progression sense, but the reality is they created a huge hole in progression.

have you actually played a chr at 20 without traits? nothing to look foward to at all for like 20-25 levels (because 30 only gives you access to one weak trait. If they wanted to add progression they needed to look elsewhere. The traits were actually a good part of the progression.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

the idea was to create progression sense, but the reality is they created a huge hole in progression.

have you actually played a chr at 20 without traits? nothing to look foward to at all for like 20-25 levels (because 30 only gives you access to one weak trait. If they wanted to add progression they needed to look elsewhere. The traits were actually a good part of the progression.

Maybe now they’ll realize how shallow the leveling experience truly is.

There’s simply not enough weapon sets, utilities, elites, or even traits to keep things interesting for eighty whole levels.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

blakdoxa.7520

Before:
Traits started at lv 11 and by lv 30 you’d have at least 2 major traits. It helped to have 2 minors and 2 majors (or whatever combo) early on.

After:
Traits start at level 30 and you only fill one minor slot.

Before you’d have more stats and more traits. And who is it that determines how I feel about progression???
You?
Anet?
I certainly felt fine having 4 traits by level 30. I always felt a little closer to fully realizing my build even if it was step by step, level 11 to 80. Now there’s just this empty space where nothing is gained.

“At least with this system, there’s a sense of progression. The higher level you get, the more viable your character will be in WvW.”

That straight from you was what I already felt under the previous system. I don’t feel progression anymore between the levels. Just this empty, hollow space I have to trudge through to get the next point. I don’t understand making progression slower.
As this system is now my character only gets more “viable” at 30, 35, 40, kitten, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, and 80. So what about those in-between levels? What are they there for now?

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Form.8741

Form.8741

I’ve just realized how absolutely correct everyone is about the new update to trait point systems and how points are given making leveling a much more boring, unrewarding and difficult chore. Why can’t the devs change the system back to the way it was?

Believe it or not, spending 5 trait points “feels” different and better than spending 1 point.

If I was a dev, I never would’ve let this update go through. Now I’m not even going to TRY to level any other characters up ever again because the update has completely deterred me. It used to be challenging and somewhat slow, but at least there were significant bump-ups for my character all the way along the road from lv10-80. Now, it feels completely unrewarding and much slower/more difficult than ever before.

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

What they created was a way for people to shell-out $$.
I picked up this game only to play pve.
Because of real life, the times I can play vary, so I can’t really team up to unlock the traits in game. The only option would be to pay real $$ for the books. No way am I going to do that, it’s one thing to grind to level but to grind AND also spend $$. ain’t happening.

Posted by: loboram.4096

loboram.4096

1. New trait system, too simple and without any real options for customizing your character to your liking, leading to everyone using the same trait builds which was one of biggest downfalls in other games like this one.

1a. Solution to the new trait system, just bring back the old one where there were a lot more options and you could personalize your characters (by the way the old system was not over powered because it was available to all professions, if OP in comparison to NPCs or monsters it is extremely easily fixed in the attribute database).

Posted by: mythil.9416

mythil.9416

All in all, 80% of the players hate this crap.

Anet wont listen though, it’s their special snowflake sculpture and all the players (you know, the people who paid money to play this game and liked it before) are wrong.

Also, if you call them on anything or go against what they want in a post, they will just delete it.

Posted by: clearminded.4096

clearminded.4096

so my first ever post on the forums….wish it could have been on a happier note.

I’ve got a main and all my alts to 80 so I thought I wouldn’t be affected by the negative aspects of the whole trait system. Even if there were any it would have mostly been minor issues. The trait system itself isn’t bad in my situation, no need to struggle my way to 80 again, my love to try different builds and alter them from time to time is simplified and finally some new traits added to increase build diversity!

Now my issue here is that due to me focusing mainly on leveling 8 characters, none are fully equipped with ascended gear and I have yet to even start on a Legendary. This therefore means I am a tight bugger and needs to save all my pennies and skill points for my future shinies! This in-turn forces me to go gain the new Grand Master traits through the standard way, which I don’t have a problem with. The problem is the certain quests that are the chosen method of acquisition, namely the Arah wizard and Grenth priest one (1st and 2nd trait tree respectively).

I have spent about 4-5 hours today in the cursed shore and didn’t get any new traits. After succeeding my first ‘defend Arah gate’ event, nobody received the trait, so I waited for the next one, ready to inform people of the previous attempt. Yet no one seems to be able to read, which I then waited on the next one in hope of a successful fail but to no avail. During all this, I had not seen Grenth flip once, it was my first time in cursed shores but really?! There was no event, contested or fail at all…which finally made me place this new trait system into a negative light. Making these traits reliant on slow spawning, low populated, group events is a mistake! Especially if it requires the failure of events to gain access to the meta. Ok fair enough that it is reliant on the player base at the time, but why can’t I get my trait relying on my strength.

Even the Karka Queen trait acquisition quest is a better option due to it being a more popular quest and not requiring the area to be cleared of a status or control. Though a minor gripe for me is that the quest timing for me is 11.30pm, 5pm and 2am meaning I can only do it during the weekends. But not really a problem since it’s still possible and doesn’t wastes my time.

The other 2 traits wasn’t so hard. A chest with only vets and lots of mobs was very fun to find and get to with a friend and the Lyssa temple I was lucky enough to get it spawning as soon as I got there(though I expect it wont be so easy the next time).

Overall I like new traits, being able to change whenever, but hate some of the methods on getting them and the costs of getting it(obviously it’s a way to discourage straight up buying but the harder quests leave you stuck between a rock and a hard place). I really wanted to like this new trait system, but being unable to get the new traits means I might aswell be running the old system. Unless you feel like running vitality based trait trees (the chest acquisition method) on all your characters.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

- New traits: some of them are nice but for PvE at least, there really isn’t enough good traits to create new builds for efficient players. It’s a two-sided problem between so few choices in skills and traits and PvE offering mostly very little need other than damage.

It’s a bit far-fetched but I think having a dual-profession system might actually benefit the game by a lot.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

It would be helpful if there was a WvW way of unlocking the new GM traits as well as multiple events, some that can be done by solo players.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: BrotherHolmes.5941

BrotherHolmes.5941

I think that the whole “waiting until level 30” thing is terrible! Why are you trying to make the game less fun?

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

At level 30 in the old regime you had 1 minor (5-point) trait that you won’t have in the new system. Hardly game-breaking.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Considering I currently have 28.5k HP on my level 10 ele while she’s upleveled, I think they probably adjusted the formula for uplevel stats.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Gabe.3976

Gabe.3976

I was really, really dismayed when I logged in to my leveling thief. I went from having 10 in acrobatics, 10 in trickery, and approaching 10 in Deadly Arts to having…well, 2. Both in trickery. Gone is the dodge speed boost and might on dodge. I’ve been trying to get my partner tlevel up with me—he’s only got one 80—and now it’s a lot slower. The deadliness isn’t an issue, but feeling like I’m getting to experience unique class mechanics is. I don’t understand why they didn’t just keep it starting at 15, with one trait unlocking every five levels. I don’t think there was anyone out there saying, “well, I’d like to level a character, but I just have too darn many build options at low levels!”

Posted by: PsirJoe.4109

PsirJoe.4109

My only complaint with the new trait system is that my lvl 6X chars that had unlocked Grandmaster already have now had it re-locked. I cannot access the grandmaster tier even tho it was unlocked BEFORE the patch.

At the very least, I should get a refund of the gold spent to unlock those tiers on the three chars and honestly, the new unlocking system should not force you to wait until 80 for grandmaster tier. You cannot “experiment” with builds if you do not have access to ALL of the traits.

Posted by: Calanthe.3857

Calanthe.3857

Ranger: Traitline Nature Magic: Grandmaster trait Survival of the Fittest is not working properly with Entangle. It says it removes two conditions upon using such a Survival skill, yet under Entangle it says it only removes one condition.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

At level 30 in the old regime you had 1 minor (5-point) trait that you won’t have in the new system. Hardly game-breaking.

/actually at level 30 in the “old regime” you had the possibility of 1 Adept trait (along with its minor) and being 1 point shy of a second Adept. I can’t recall if the trait points started at 10 or 11. If it was 10 then you would have had 2 Adept traits unlocked, and would have to wait to level 40 to buy the next book.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

I’m gonna chime in here as a slight voice of dissent.

I think the idea of playing content and doing challenges to get traits as you level is in essence a great idea; especially as there’s an alternative of money/skill points.

Though I will agree that early leveling is going to suffer a bit because of the lack of traits till level 30. The minor and major traits you could get up till then before presented a minor but still interesting way to change up your play now and then if you felt like it.

Also.. skill points may be plentiful at late game, but early on they’re a bit scarce, and requiring yet more of them if you want to get traits ‘the easy way’ is a bit of a screw job.

Maybe the skill point cost of utility skills could be adjusted to compensate?