Game Updates: Wardrobe, Transmutation, Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

The Devs have already explained why they could not make those clothes into Armor skins.

Why they do not want to make them into Armor. Because they definitely could, it would just require more work than they were willing to commit to the case.

They have explained why they can’t make them into Armor skins, and into Mix-and Match clothes. They gave technical reasonements and I understand them and accept them, and I think other people in this thread too.

But they haven’t explained why they didn’t make them into outfits in a first place. They created complete outfit sets to give a complete look, but they didn’t let them work like the other outfits. Personally that’s what I want to ask to them, and to beg them to change.

Tonics are useless right now. I think nobody has said till now they liked them. Please make tonics into outfits! That wouldn’t be armor skins, but they could be used in combat… or more accurately, they could just be used!

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

While I like how it’s greatly reduced the need to carry around skins in the inventory, and it’s not inconsistent with how it used to be (But the loss of cheap transmutation stones made it prohibitively costly to transmute while leveling), I feel the system would be much better if it were “Transmutation charge to unlock” skins, rather than to apply them.

People don’t like spending real-world money on transient things in video games. I’m strongly suspecting that there’s been a freeze on the sale of charges for leveling characters. If not, well, it’s guaranteed not as many people are transmuting as the potential numbers of transmuters.

There are enough skins out there that it would still be expensive to unlock them all with charges, and by making them cost charges to unlock forever, people would be more willing to take risks on unlocking skins that look nice but they wouldn’t want to wear forever (Such as a lot of low-level armors), as well as encourage people to spend money on exotic skins in the store because they won’t lose them the moment they decide to wear something else.

The very name “Wardrobe” implies that people are actually able to change between outfits they own, which the current system doesn’t allow. Previously, people could sport two distinct looks because of the “Town Clothes” option. The name ‘wardrobe’ implied we’d get a better system for changing outfits to what we want and how we want to look, but it’s been the opposite so far.

As it is, I don’t think ANYBODY is going to take the tonics seriously – If those were supposed to replace Town Clothes because of a lack of interest in the latter, I think it’s backfired spectacularly, especially since tonics are one-shot items. People prefer spending real-world money/gems on permanent things… or at least the western audience does. Is that it, though? Are the changes in the system from the April 15th to emphasize cash-shop money-grubbing to be more familiar with the Eastern MMO approach to microtransaction oversaturation? (Which Guild Wars 2 is not! It’s a pay-to-own!) I hope not, because it means a loss of what makes Guild Wars 2 stand out from the Eastern approach to monetization, just as the “Buy to own” stood out from the Western subscription model – though the lack of followup expansions don’t help.

Anyway… the gist of this is that I think a lot more people would be willing to shell out extra on buying transmutation charges and cosmetic skins if the system were changed to make such acquisitions permanent, and it would also bring more diversity to characters in the game.

What I’m not sure of is how to handle those who’ve already unlocked a lot of skins under the current system. Grandfathering them in would be the most player-friendly way, but it would also lose out on a LOT of potential revenue. Grandfathering in exotic/cash shop skins and any confirmed transmutations to a skin, though, is something that would absolutely need to happen.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

With that I’d like to suggest armor and weapon skins that you can only get through pvp.

Wow. As if this update hasn’t ground me down enough already. Actual financial loss. Tons of in-game expenses. Fewer options everywhere I turn. Much longer loading times. Crowds, crowds everywhere so I can’t challenge anything without the almighty zerg descending upon the area to wipe everything out like a tornado. Resurgence of gold sellers. Inability to locate my friends without a bit of extra fuss.

I absolutely live for my mix and match armor, and now you want to taunt me with stuff I can’t get? NEVER! I will not PvP. Tried it on numerous occasions. Don’t care for it. I have many dungeon armor pieces I can’t get because I don’t do dungeons either. And now I find out you can get them in PvP as well? You wound me, sir! NO I say! NO! I will surely throw my game out the window, followed rapidly by my teary-eyed carcass!

(“Bolthar”? Didn’t you betray the Human race to the Cylons? Was that you?)

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Why, if combat was so important, could not this well working town clothes page get a new tickbox, something like “override armor look” perhaps for headgear and armor separately.

But no, such destruction… It hurts.

In addition the costumes and other town clothing pieces should’ve been reclaimable from the start.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The Devs have already explained why they could not make those clothes into Armor skins.

Why they do not want to make them into Armor. Because they definitely could, it would just require more work than they were willing to commit to the case.

They have explained why they can’t make them into Armor skins, and into Mix-and Match clothes. They gave technical reasonements and I understand them and accept them, and I think other people in this thread too.

No, again – there is no technological barrier to this. The only barrier is workload (they would have needed to make a light, medium and heavy version of all converted town clothes). They were just unwilling to dedicate enough manhours to do this properly, so instead they decided to can it completely.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Personally, I would prefer if there was a panel for town clothes / costumes, which is kept separate from armour. Then, you could mix and match costume and town clothes, and dye the individual sections. If it also remembered the colours you put into these things, it would be nice too.

I had noticed that if you select a costume and dye it, move to another costume, then go back to the first one, it forgets the dye. That… is really frustrating, actually.

Posted by: Renso.3695

Renso.3695

I’m glad to see anet bring back seasonal or old costumes and town cloths so people can integrate them into their different styles. I would really like to see the Wizard Hat come back for those of us who didn’t have a chance to get one thanks!

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

Response (part 1, because of size limit)

..not going to dispute the price, as it is irrelevant to my point..
..You might not use them, ok, who cares, since you obviously don’t care about people who don’t see it the same way as you do..
..I really could care less. Transmutation stone cost now vs. what it was before is a total kittenup..

How rude.
But I am a polite person, so I’ll answer to your post.

Was responding in kind to a rude post.

Transmute charges (as the crystals and stones were) are available from the gem store, not going to dispute the price, as it is irrelevant to my point.

To your point, that is to criticize.

The cost of getting them before from the trading post vs their functional equivalent now from the trading post was never one of my issues, or concerns, or problems with the charges. Actually, I was pointing at the actual fact that your “facts” were in dispute. Criticism of someone’s “facts” when they aren’t works as well an explanation as anything else.

Same ease of obtaining them from the gem store only. “Useless” transmutation stones were (they are now) not useless to those of us who used them as we leveled chars and/or gear while exploring areas. Keeping an upgrade we wanted and/or a look we happened to find and like, doesn’t sound like useless to me. You might not use them, ok, who cares, since you obviously don’t care about people who don’t see it the same way as you do.

And you made an assumption, that I did not use them to my <80 levels chars.
It is wrong.

This I will give you credit for since the majority of people’s arguments against this being kittened is just that they do not transmute as they level. And I mistakenly presumed that was your case as well.

Now i can use the charges to REALLY fit my look.
Before you can only use level 1-79 items, that have a very limited set of skins for armor and weapons. The freedom to transmute a low level skin in another low level skin is not freedom.

Actually, when you could before and can’t now, that isn’t the freedom to do so IF YOU CHOOSE how exactly?

Now my <80 chars looks fine (sPvP also).

Just because I get to 80 doesn’t mean I can afford to automatically just upgrade all of my gear right then to 80. I use what I find, and sometimes what I find at a lower item level is better than what I have that is 80. Since you will dispute this, level 80 items DO come in green and non-80 items DO come in rare versions. And if you check the stats, often times they ARE better on the lower stuff.

Transmutation charges available everywhere? I don’t think so. You were guaranteed to get 3 stones (now equivalent to 1 charge) per map completion. Now, it is hit or miss on 99% of the map completion rewards, with the only exception being the town maps, judging from people’s posts.

No, 3 stones were not guaranteed.

Every single map completion I paid attention to (with well over 20 chars) I got 3 transmute stones. In my experience, although now I am looking closer, I am 2 for 3 NOT getting the current equivalent of 1 charge per map. And the one time I DID get a charge on was completing LA map.

Can obtain charges from everywhere – Not a fact, in fact you can obtain them from FEWER places now, as map completion does not guarantee it as it did with three transmutation stones before.

Before:
Stones Acquisition
– Gem Store
– Daily reward chests
– Map completion reward

Crystals Acquisition
– Gem Store
– Black Lion Chest
– Daily reward chests

Now

Charge Acquisition
– Gem Store
– Black Lion Chest (Unlocked)
– Daily achievement reward
– Map completion reward
– PvP Reward Tracks

So, all of the above + sPvP.
If you do not like sPvP it dos not mean that it does not exists.
And you can farm charges in sPvP.

Referring to frequency as an award, more than location. Did not speak to PvP as I did not play it before and do not play it now.

Lyssan.3768

(part 2 response)

Transmute charges price vs. transmute crystal prices (since it is 1:1) – Very possibly true, never bought them in the gem store, so no idea if this was and is the case or not. I really could care less. Transmutation stone cost now vs. what it was before is a total kittenup. It now costs people who would transmute as they level the same as if everything were a level 80 item and/or special skin.

But now you CAN use lvl 80 skins. How is that bad? I don’t get it.

I never said getting to use level 80 skins was bad. I will also shock you and say that being able to use 3 regular transmute stones (via the conversion rate) on level 80 gear was an improvement. I said the exchange rate that kittens over people who transmute as they level was bad. Also, since this post, I have found out that you cannot transmute the runes (and I presume the sigils) in the same manner as you could before. Haven’t checked out every single little detail on the transmute system, because doing so just kittenes me off over all the stuff they took away improving it.

Useless transmute charges – Not a fact, as your opinion is just that, yours. Not everyone waited until level 80 to keep a look or an upgrade to their items going while they leveled. So now their choice is to pay for the upgrade being carried over, like a 4 tier Major Rune of Melandru for 1 example, or keep buying or otherwise obtaining the upgrade over and over again as they level, 1 rune for each piece of gear that has it.

Recycle? And if you do not obtain a Major from the system their TP cost is 2/5 silver.

You are still buying something again that you already have on your armor. I have obtained all of the runes and sigils I have from the items I get as drops (in trading post terms, free a.k.a. NO silver).

The problem with Stones was that once you reach level 80 they were absolutely useless. And it was a structural limitation.
Use resources on a low level char is always a waste, because the leveling is fast and you will continue to lose resources (and I know that I lose resources when I upgrade my <80chars).

Once again, your opinion if it is a waste. Never doubted that. It is not a waste to people who want to keep a look and/or rune as they level their chars. As far as absolutely useless, no. Absolutely useless to you, that was never in question.

Don’t be so angry Lyssan, it’s a game and it is better now than before.
If you don’t agree, as a wise man once said:

who cares, since you obviously don’t care about people who don’t see it the same way as you do

Some stuff is better, doesn’t mean some stuff didn’t get kittened up. You could have someone gold plate a wrecked car, doesn’t somehow magically make the car work any better.

I have been fighting against this because it kittens over some of the people who play this game, me being one of them. If this worked the way it should have, it still doesn’t kitten over the people who want to wait to transmute their gear. I do not presume I am fighting for the way you see things, but since the way I am saying it should be doesn’t hurt you, and the way it is now DOES adversely affect some people, I still don’t see how fixing it is a bad thing.

Oh, one more thing. As that same person also said, “No one said you would have to transmute before you get to level 80.” (Or something similar)

(edited by Lyssan.3768)

Lyssan.3768

Transmutation charges available everywhere? I don’t think so. You were guaranteed to get 3 stones (now equivalent to 1 charge) per map completion. Now, it is hit or miss on 99% of the map completion rewards, with the only exception being the town maps, judging from people’s posts.

Map completion used to reward stones most, but not all, of the time (it seemed to be roughly 2/3-3/4 of the time, in my extensive experience), except for towns. I’m getting charges for most of the maps I’ve completed since the patch, so it doesn’t seem to have changed anything but substituting a charge for the stones.

I did map completion on 3 different chars (2 diff accts I think) and I was 1 for 3 as map completion reward with charges. 1 of them did have a black lion chest key, which did have a change in it, but I do not count that as map completion charge reward, as you could get them in chests or not anyway, as you could before with transmute stones, although, if I remember properly, it was usually just 1 stone.

Did some research into that, did not do more as what I did just kittened me off, and didn’t want to get more kittened off if I was right. You cannot use transmute charges to change runes (and I presume sigils as well) from 1 item to another while changing the skin, like you could pre-transmute charges.

Lyssan.3768

Account bound crafting? I don’t see it mentioned anywhere.

I am not sure why crafting professions and levels are not account bound? For example if my jeweler is level 500 then why do I have to log to that character to craft a lvl 500 item? Wouldn’t it be more convenient if the crafting levels were account bound?

Convenient? Hell yes!

Make sense? (OK, that was my paraphrasing) You got it! Twice! (Especially since there is an ACCT-WIDE achievement for leveling your crafting disciplines.)

Going to happen? I wouldn’t put money on it, since the last update seems to be hit or miss on giving the players something good combined with giving, sorry forcing, the players into dealing with something that totally sucks (a.k.a. the transmute stone exchange kitten , err rate, the undyable, uncustomizeable (with mix and match parts), and now takes a tonic town clothes fiasco, and so on).

(edited by Lyssan.3768)

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

I keep seeing people defend the Anet developer’s inability to fix the town clothing, as if they were in the room working with them. “It’s impossible to program”, “they don’t have the time”, “they don’t have the money”, “the bumpmap/shading/illumination/mask just doesn’t work…”

This thing is, for anyone who works with editing computer models, this is not very believable.

No matter how you look at it, people expected the town cloths to evolve into one of two different directions.

Direction #1 – The town clothes stay the same as the old system

It’s not believable that they couldn’t implement this, since it was already implemented. It would take more effort to remove from the game than to leave it in the game as-is.

As a matter of fact, everyone who has not seen the town-to-tonic converter yet still has their original town cloths in the same equipment window as they’ve always had; they’ve just been locked out of it.

Direction #2 – The town clothes are imported into the new Wardrobe system

It’s not believable that they couldn’t pull this off either as the only thing in the code that separates the light, medium, and heavy is a flag somewhere in the system. This isn’t like trying to smash a square peg into round hole, it’s akin to changing a field in a spreadsheet. It is EXTREMELY easy.

It would have been more honest of them to say that they didn’t want light, medium, and heavy to all have the same looking Cherry Blossom Shirt. The player base wouldn’t have like that answer either, but it would have been more honest.

If you want a refund, submit a ticket. If you want to use the tonics, then do not submit a ticket.

It’s been said before, and I’ll say it again. Getting gems back for something you paid cash for is not a refund. It’s a bait & switch scam.

Lyssan.3768

(But the loss of cheap transmutation stones made it prohibitively costly to transmute while leveling),

One of my problems with it since they unloaded this upgrade on us.

The very name “Wardrobe” implies that people are actually able to change between outfits they own, which the current system doesn’t allow.

Actually they can, if they are ok with getting kitten d on the cost, and as Henry Ford was credited with saying, “They can have it any color they want, as long as it is black.”
How this works here, is you can do it, as long as you only want to do it how Anet wants you to.

(Which Guild Wars 2 is not! It’s a pay-to-own!) I hope not, because it means a loss of what makes Guild Wars 2 stand out from the Eastern approach to monetization, just as the “Buy to own” stood out from the Western subscription model – though the lack of followup expansions don’t help.

Technically speaking, it is pay-once-to-use, by way of purchasing a copy (or authorization code) of the game. Anet can take away your “right” to play it at any time they wish.

Posted by: Shanon.9741

Shanon.9741

I keep seeing people defend the Anet developer’s inability to fix the town clothing, as if they were in the room working with them. “It’s impossible to program”, “they don’t have the time”, “they don’t have the money”, “the bumpmap/shading/illumination/mask just doesn’t work…”

This thing is, for anyone who works with editing computer models, this is not very believable.

No matter how you look at it, people expected the town cloths to evolve into one of two different directions.

Direction #1 – The town clothes stay the same as the old system

It’s not believable that they couldn’t implement this, since it was already implemented. It would take more effort to remove from the game than to leave it in the game as-is.

As a matter of fact, everyone who has not seen the town-to-tonic converter yet still has their original town cloths in the same equipment window as they’ve always had; they’ve just been locked out of it.

It’s not believable that they couldn’t pull this off either as the only thing in the code that separates the light, medium, and heavy is a flag somewhere in the system. This isn’t like trying to smash a square peg into round hole, it’s akin to changing a field in a spreadsheet. It is EXTREMELY easy.

It would have been more honest of them to say that they didn’t want light, medium, and heavy to all have the same looking Cherry Blossom Shirt. The player base wouldn’t have like that answer either, but it would have been more honest.

If you want a refund, submit a ticket. If you want to use the tonics, then do not submit a ticket.

It’s been said before, and I’ll say it again. Getting gems back for something you paid cash for is not a refund. It’s a bait & switch scam.

I completely agree with you on this Porterhouse.6304, thank you for your well worded post. Clear and concise. Tired of trolls defending bad decisions made by ArenaNet.

I put in a ticket and was DENIED my gem refund. 700 gems worth of items!!! Totally worthless now. But if this is how ArenaNet want’s to be, then fine, I’m done with buying gems and supporting this company. I didn’t have a problem with it before as I felt that it’s supporting them through the microtransactions system.

This move to sully town clothing, making them into tonics and onesies has completely ruined that element of the game for me and many, many others.

(edited by Shanon.9741)

Lyssan.3768

Porterhouse, since it seems you work from that side of things, or at least have a passing knowledge of it, I believe it comes down to a couple of points.

Can it be done? I would have to say most definitely.

Will it be done? Who knows? I am sure the skill level to do it is there, but it comes down to does Anet want to spend the time (by way of having the devs work on it) and resources (read money) to do it, and does it come down to something they feel is cost effective to do so. I am guessing it is not high on their priority list right now.

While it is possible it is just as simple as a flag, I am not sure how much code you have dealt with, but finding one single flag in a pile of code is not an easy task, especially when you have a bunch of people writing on the end-result (this game). I have an Associates degree in I.S., and have spent my fair share trying to debug programs. If it works out to the look and rendering they have an issue with, that takes a bit more than just flipping a switch (code flag) on or off.

Not trying to defend their decision on this or not, because honestly, I think it sucks probably just as much as anyone else. However, I am still waiting on them to fix the transmute stone/charge issue, and make the exchange rate what it should have been from the start, 1 stone = 1 charge, and 1 crystal = 3 charges.

Posted by: Cassius.8945

Cassius.8945

I don’t know if this has been asked before in this thread, forgive me if it has, but is there any word on whether previously bought cultural armor skins could be added to the wardrobe. I bought every skin over a year ago, however due to bank space issues, I salvaged some of the ones I never used. Now with the wardrobe feature, I feel like I could have been able to keep those skins without taking up my bank space.

Posted by: Annette.6278

Annette.6278

It’s a pity that i have 2 transmutation stones (need 3) and can’t use it and can’t get 1 more to do charge. I think it’s unfairly.

GW2 is almost a perfect MMORPG. Please, DON"T make it in such way like we are stupid.

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

I think my biggest beef with the new system involving town clothes and costumes is that it took away choice, rather than giving choice. The armour system, I have almost no beef with. I like that it made it quick and easy for me to tailor the armour for my characters to suit my particular desires. Each now has a specific look I’m comfortable with. If I had one complaint on that, it would be that if you want to do multiple looks, it requires you to use a whole lot of transmutation charges, and that is annoying. (I still think ‘one charge unlocks one specific skin for the particular armour you’re wearing, so you can swap between those specific skins for free).

No, my beef is with town clothes and costumes. I don’t see why costumes had to be kept as something separate, and went from pieces you could customize, to a single lump which has to be dyed as a whole. That limited choices – why couldn’t they have been put into the armour section, and require no charges? Or why not have them have their own section, and require no charges, and be left customizable? They could have been done the exact same way as armour, and not require charges, and it would have been fine. Town clothing could have been part and parcel of that.

Seriously. One panel for town clothes and costumes. If you go into the panel, you see slots for every armour space., with a little [ ] by the piece, so you can add or remove it (like helmet, gloves, and shoulders currently are in armour). Each would have the dye allowance, just like armour. None would require charges, so you could swap between them as you see fit. The idea is to provide players with more options, and the ability to customize more, rather than less.

In fact, I’m pretty sure players would be overjoyed if this was how it was implemented, since then they could combine costume pieces with their armour. It would provide players with even more means to tailor what they’ve got, allowing them to mix and match armour, clothing, and costumes for aesthetic reasons.

The current system surprised me, because it actually detracted from the game, rather than adding to it. As I said – the armour system is sublime (though not perfect), the clothing and costume system is… unfortunately… not.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I wish the system would work the same way as previous one and transmuting pre-level 80 characters would be cheaper. Nowadays, I would love to transmute my alts but it just feels like such a waste. Back with the old system the <79 stones were so abundant you had no troubles making alts look fabulous.

Maybe half a charge to transmute a pre-80 character?

Whats the point? 7 days below lvl 80, 1 year+ at lvl 80.

Hmm, I’m generally way longer than 7 days below lvl80. Not everybody likes to power level, there are also actually people who like the leveling itself…

For now, I’m glad that there are outfits which I can use instead of some of the ugly armours I’d have to show otherwise. Before, I’d just transmute a new armour to a look I liked. I was also always out of stones…

I like the leveling process prior to the patch as well. This level 30 thing is killing alts all over the world including mine. I haven’t logged back in cept to craft level because it’s too painful to even go out there and mess with it. And my Mesmer alt I just started forget it. It’s ridiculous.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t know if this has been asked before in this thread, forgive me if it has, but is there any word on whether previously bought cultural armor skins could be added to the wardrobe. I bought every skin over a year ago, however due to bank space issues, I salvaged some of the ones I never used. Now with the wardrobe feature, I feel like I could have been able to keep those skins without taking up my bank space.

If it’s salvageable gear then you can salvage it if you don’t need it and it does put them in your wardrobe. If you want to keep the gear if it’s useful somehow you can unlock the skins without salvaging but that makes it bound to character.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Sorry to tell you that it is not that simple. It is no where near akin to changing a field in a spreadsheet.

Town clothes were essentially a 4th armor weight as the way each of the items connects with other parts were different than the other weight classes. It is way more involved than changing a check box and would have caused a whole host of issues. The technical limitations in keeping town clothes as they were are much more complex than anyone here realizes….the fact that they discontinued a whole host of town clothes items made me wonder what they had in store for town clothes but as i personally didn’t use many of them I didn’t think much of it.

It would have been nice if they could have converted those single piece items into a whole outfit and added them with the rest but you wouldn’t have been happy with that either. I wish that the starter town clothes at least could have been added as an outfit too.

My biggest gripe is the excessive cost of the upgrade extractor and the lack of salvagability for karma and wvw gear. The only time I’ve used the extractors was for an aquabreather and a back item but my husband has a bunch of armor pieces sitting in his bank with Melandru runes on them that he can’t get out. >.<

Posted by: Sir Alymer.3406

Sir Alymer.3406

What I don’t understand is why the original set of town clothing you start out with wasn’t converted into an outfit. I’d like to be able to dye the starting set of town clothes again.

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

I actually really like all of the changes to the wardrobe. I don’t really understand what on the back end made town clothes different from costumes but I didn’t really like the town clothes anyway. Too limited in looks.

The one thing I would like is the ability to change the view for weapons before applying a transmutation. I can’t tell what some weapons look like from the wardrobe.

Posted by: Yoru.2687

Yoru.2687

Dear ArenaNet this is my feedback to the feature pack, it took me a while to play through all new features . The following will be a summary of the various aspects of the new feature pack as well as its pros and con , and sujestions.

Ok where can i start? I think that the feature pack was an update that should have come long before, that it contains loads of great inovations but that many features lack a good implementation. i hope that our feedback will lead to future changes.

Part 1: The wardrobe system and the new hero menu interface.
The new wardrobe and dye system are 2 things that I love about the new feature pack. it alows you to acces all unlocked skins and dys over all your characters. The skins kann be applied with transmutation charges and the dys for free. The hero menu has also been changed to make it easyer to preview and/or apply these changes. However to simplify the interface and other aspects of the system some things have been cut out.
- you can no longer see If your charakter is charismatic, barbaric , noble or anything inbetween. However the Npcs still have the different conversation options for these traits. I can that you are trying to get rid of something that was never consequently implemented, but if you mean to abbolish something you should do so intirely or not at all.
-Town cloths and costumes have been transformed into tonics and can no longer be mixed. Honestly i cant understand why you would do this. you implement the wardrobe systen , a systen perfectly suited to incorporate town clothes in a userfriendly and accsessible way and instead just cut them out. (agin not fully)….Why would you do this? Please reimplement them as a seperate catagory of the wardrobe system.
-There is no way to obtain certain skins in the game anymore, or they are to expencive. For instance free skins in the gem store that people ended up deleting to make space and that are now no longer availible. Another example: you have the title the emporer meaning you have all cultural armor, however if you nolonger own them you would have to buy them again to unlock the skins. basikaly there needs to be a way to retrospectively unlock skins→ be it buy having certain titles or just the free thing returning to the gemstore …
- all transmutation stones and crystals were converted into charges. first of all the convertion was in no means fair: 1 crystal should have made 2 charges and to stones should have made 1 charge. Also when you buy a skin at the gemstore and decide to store it you dont gain a transmutaion charge.

overall Id say to this part of the feature patch: yes I love it! but I also cry for what has been lost. I dont feel that simplefying a system means that you need to get rid of diversity→ town clothes should get a seperate section in the wardrobe → I want to be able to see my characters Charakter!→ some system to retrospectively get skins one once had .
more coming in part 2 <3

Commander Atila Noon [GDA]
Amber Wurm is best Wurm <3

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I didn’t really like the town clothes anyway. Too limited in looks.

I beg to differ:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Share-your-Mix-n-Match-TOWN-CLOTHES/first

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Vandrin.9745

Vandrin.9745

Outfits should not be all or nothing. How is that a good design choice? It’s unfair to those who spent the money and effort to make their own styles and colors. They should really just give us the ability to create a CUSTOM outfit that we can use, and people will be happy.

Or a hat toggle, at least.

Posted by: Tshakaar.6429

Tshakaar.6429

Yes Vandrin, unfair… And more…
I bought :
[pre]ITEM Price Qty
Cook’s Outfit 700 1
Khaki Cargo Shorts 150 3
Casual Hoodie 200 4
Sport Sunglasses 150 2
Inventor’s Sunglasses 150 1
Boxing Gloves 300 1
Wind Kite 500 1

TOTAL 3200[/pre]

All of these were bought to fit as a set, mix and fun.

They just told me they don’t refund erveything and not neccessary the price you bought it.
I had 1190gems in refund.
Enjoy.

Attachments:

(edited by Tshakaar.6429)

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

That this conversation is still going says a lot about how strongly people feel about this.

Posted by: cyanweapon.7290

cyanweapon.7290

18 pages of this. I wish I had time to read it and make sure no one’s brought this up before, but here goes.

For starters, I love the new wardrobe system. I sincerely do. I think it’s a huge convenience, it’s innovative, and actually pretty fun to use. I find myself trying various pieces together just for the sake of seeing how it’d look, whereas before, I probably wouldn’t even have considered it.

But my drawback is how the transmutation system seems to have really toppled. I’ll explain.

The conversion ratio of 3 transmutation stones to 1 charge is fine.
The conversion ratio of 1 transmutation crystal to 1 charge is also fine.

This, however, seems to’ve left a large number of people with leftover transmutation stones, and nothing to do with them. And on top of that, the scarcity of these items has skyrocketed.

I understand that we’re using a new item, but let me put this into perspective; I was sitting on enough transmutation stones prior to the update to warrant over sixty transmutation charges. Not crystals, stones. And a large chunk of that was thanks to daily chests.

I’ve been doing my dailies consistently since the patch, and I’ve earned zero charges for it. According to the wiki, they’re a thing that can happen. But with them apparently being so crazy rare, people are really very unlikely to use them nearly as much as your wardrobe system’s implementation probably was intended to encourage.

So, here’s my suggestion: keep releasing transmutation stones. Keep the exchange going. It’ll help the people with leftover stones not feel like they have wasted effort (or worse, wasted cash for buying them in the gemstore) and encourage people to use this awesome wardrobe feature more often for a greater variety of player appearances.

Leave the stone rarity in the daily chest the same as it was before, too. I mean, with best results, that’s someone putting three days’ worth of effort just to change one armor piece once.

I understand there’s no more dichotomy between charges (level 1’s can be transmuted same as level 80’s, no need for a ‘special charge’ or anything), but that kind of effort should still be recognized, right?

Does this seem like a fair suggestion?

Edit: I do think I should mention that the implementation/re-imagining of the town clothes feels like it was handled badly. I won’t go into as much detail here as I did in the above remarks, since so many people have voiced the same, but here are my comments.

1.) Tonics are not good. I don’t mean to be harsh here, but that was a terrible idea. Fix what was already in place. I get that you’re trying to give them a piece of what they had, as opposed to nothing at all (for certain sets, that is), but the community feels pretty insulted by this. Get rid of tonics. All outfits need to function like outfits. You can do better.

2.) The ability to mix and match outfits was one of the coolest things people could do with them. It made them distinct, personalized. Taking that away has left most people feeling really generic. Outfits need to function in the same way as your armor, mixing and matching them, or leaving certain pieces off.

3.) It’s a wonderful adjustment, making outfits wearable in combat. There are some nay-sayers out there, but you’re going to reach a much, much bigger audience by broadening the potential. You’ve made a strong step forward, but don’t stop your momentum.

In the end, the playerbase wants to support you. We just need something that we can get behind.

(edited by cyanweapon.7290)

Lyssan.3768

826 replies in this thread and still no replies from Anet. I have not asked for refunds for my town clothes in the small shimmer of faith I have in you to make them armor skins.

I scrolled through all 17 pages (no I don’t know why the hell I did that either) and counted exactly ONE post from Anet, judging by the red area that shows up from an official poster. And yet, there was a thread about the Feature Pack and Customer Service, I think that had like 20 posts on 4 pages.

Just looked over the posts since I made this one, and still no response of any kind from anyone at Anet on this forum since then. NOTHING!

Anet, just a thought here. If you see this many people kittened off at what you did, even if you are not going to fix it, for whatever reason, silence over the issue is not the professional looking way to deal with it.

There are various issues that many people have; getting kittened over on transmute stones/crystals/charges is big on my list, the outfit situation that now cannot be permanently dyed, and are forced to be like attached one piece kids’ pajamas, etc. At least let us know you are reading this thread! Something would be better than the deafening silence we are getting from you over this.

Eighteen (and counting) pages with this much response from you over a MAJOR issue, while another related item (Customer Service) with only four pages (at the time) gets twenty responses? What the hell?!?!

And yes it IS related. These posters are your customers! On this particular item, your customer service stinks.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

They just have to fix the townclothes (and more transmutation charges would be nice) and I’m happy.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Eighteen (and counting) pages with this much response from you over a MAJOR issue, while another related item (Customer Service) with only four pages (at the time) gets twenty responses? What the hell?!?!

I’ve been perusing other threads and following the dev tracker. I appreciate that they’ve been in China and are overburdened with work but….. something would be nice, especially when they are responding in other threads. I hope they are having/have had some kind of meeting to decide how to follow through with this.

My asura will never again get to wear her rainbow playclothes. I was really hoping they would enable townclothes in SAB just so she could run around in this outfit.

Attachments:

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I’m always open minded towards my look.
Yesterday I’ve changed it.

My biggest problem is; My weapons aren’t dye-able in any way, and liked shapes dismatching in colors. It is still a huge disappointment for the players.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: deadgnomes.3286

deadgnomes.3286

I just wanted to toss my name in here as one of the roleplayers extremely disappointed by the new lack of flexibility in town clothes. It is EXTREMELY important to most roleplayers to be able to play their characters as real people, with lives both on and off the battlefield. I do not want my Guardian heading to a bar, a wedding, or a casual outing with friends in her armor.

Having a handful of pre-determined outfits available as tonics I have to reapply every 15 minutes does not give me the flexibility to put together an outfit that reflects the character’s personality, or even colors that look good on her. With one of the most impressive dye systems I’ve seen on any MMO, it is so disappointing not to be able to use it for casual looks.

I realize that roleplayers are a small percentage of the player base, but we tend to stick around long term (and support the gem store when we can use it to be creative with our characters) — at least as long as we can be immersed in our character’s story. Taking away our ability to dress our characters uniquely and creatively is a major hindrance to one of our primary joys in the game.

Please reconsider the tonic system and find a way to mix-and-match casual clothing pieces, and dye them, as we could before.

In addition, I would like to say that I understand that one of the major reasons mix-and-match was abandoned was because of clipping.

I would much rather have potential clipping issues than zero flexibility. Believe me, I’ll pore over my options until I find the pieces that don’t clip. I think most people would be far less upset about clipping (and would understand, if they choose to put two odd things together which clip) than they are currently with the removed flexibility.

(edited by deadgnomes.3286)

Posted by: METALROCKS.6097

METALROCKS.6097

just started to play it again after a long break and then i have to see this. now for changing my cloths and weaponry and i have to pay for it??? pay real money? no way, thats unacceptable. and toxins for changing back to town clothing? who the hell came up with this stupid idea? i was so puzzled that i was utterly lost.
what was wrong with the original settings? nothing. it worked flawlessly.

seriously, this has to change back.

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

just started to play it again after a long break and then i have to see this. now for changing my cloths and weaponry and i have to pay for it??? pay real money? no way, thats unacceptable. and toxins for changing back to town clothing? who the hell came up with this stupid idea? i was so puzzled that i was utterly lost.

Yes, if you want to change your armor or weapon SKINS you need to pay it for real money. But if you want to change your whole armor, I mean real armor, it is still free. When you want to change your real armor to another armor you need to go Equipment panel. Wardrobe is only for skins.

At first it is little difficult to understand how it works, but in time you will get it.

(edited by Sinope.5630)

METALROCKS.6097

Yes, if you want to change your armor or weapon SKINS you need to pay it for real money. But if you want to change your whole armor, I mean real armor, it is still free. When you want to change your real armor to another armor you need to go Equipment panel. Wardrobe is only for skins.

At first it is little difficult to understand how it works, but in time you will get it.

so let me see if i understand this correctly.
instead buying individual pieces of armor, i have to buy a whole armor that includes everything?
thats still stupid as hell. just got my self a new coat that suits my level because i can only equip medium armor. also i got my self a nice sword and also for this i have to pay to equip it.

i really enjoy this game but this is something that ruins it. i havent played it for over 6 months and thats what i have to deal with. just unacceptable.

thanks anyway for your reply.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

so let me see if i understand this correctly.
instead buying individual pieces of armor, i have to buy a whole armor that includes everything?
thats still stupid as hell. just got my self a new coat that suits my level because i can only equip medium armor. also i got my self a nice sword and also for this i have to pay to equip it.

i really enjoy this game but this is something that ruins it. i havent played it for over 6 months and thats what i have to deal with. just unacceptable.

thanks anyway for your reply.

Right-click your new items, select “Equip itemname” and click on that… tada.

You’re in the wardrobe section, which only effects what the items look like.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

No, you don’t understand it correctly. Equipping things works the way it always has. You don’t have to pay to equip different parts of your armor. Now, however, when you soulbind/unlock/salvage an item, it ‘unlocks’ the skin and adds it to your ‘wardrobe’, which is essentially just the skins you have available for transmuting.

Lets say you find a really cool-looking sword in your adventures, but its stats are crap. Under the previous system, you had to carry that sword around with you until you found a transmutation stone to apply to your current armor/weapon (Or weapon and armor you were waiting to level into), and then had to carry something with that skin throughout your career (Unless you got sick of it. Then you toss it, and regret it when you want it back). Now, you can just salvage the item (Or, if it’s not a soulbinding one, you can unlock the skin then sell it on the TP), and it will unlock the skin, and you can use a Transmutation Charge at any time to make any sword look like that one did. If you have a Legendary weapon, you can turn ALL your weapons of that type to look like said legendary for 1 transmutation charge each. You can buy Transmutation Charges with gems, or get them from Map Completion.

The “whole armor” he was referring to is “Skins+Stats+Inventory Slots”. Not “Full Suit.” I still carry two suits of armor with me – my vit+condition damage general-purpose exotic gear (A blend of Scallywag and Draconic armor) transmuted to look like a blend of Charr cultural (Tier 3 boots, Tier 2 pants) and lower-level plated armors that I had sold/salvaged long ago (Splint gauntlets, Reinforced Scale chestguard and boots, and Banded pauldrons) and a set of Zerker gear for dungeon runs transmuted to look as impractical as possible (Okay, so it’s actually just Draconic armor transmuted to look like Scallywag armor – from the suit I had transmuted to look like my old leveling/legion armor). Except the zerk rifle, which I transmuted to look like my Carrion Rifle as well, because Legionnaire rifles look awesome. I also transmuted my Legionnaire Sword to look like a Flame Blade instead, and my Pearl Sword (Oh god those weapons look terrible, but the stats are great!) to look like an Ebon Vanguard Sword. Oh yeah – and my shield to look like an Iron Legion Shield (Bought the skin from a quest vendor in the starting area!)

You can also go to your bank and see every skin available anywhere, giving you something to work for. And, once you unlock a skin, you can apply it at any time (Something I enjoy with my gem-purchased Flamewrath armor, even though it clips terribly with my tail.)

METALROCKS.6097

ooooooooooooook. im totally confused now. but i guess this has to do that i really never play MMOs. this game is the only 1 since you dont have to pay every month.
i will play around with it and see if something you guys have explained come back to me. otherwise, im still lost.

so i try to equip the new coat and sword i got and see if it requests me to pay.
thanks anyway for trying to help me.

edit:
ok, i was able to equip my sword and a piece of armor. still stupid if you ask me but it worked.
thanks again for the help.

(edited by METALROCKS.6097)

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

I may have posted already here, but… I’ll simply complain again here.

Theses tonics are clearly one of the worst idea since the launch of the game. Even if it was trivial, I had fun farming for those clothes because it was good looking, and mixing them was good.

People got creative with those town clothes. But with those tonics, I will never be able to be cute and celebrate a quaggan marriage again.
I won’t be able to be kitten and be a “broom biker”.
And I miss my ear muffs with my wintersday dress.
I can’t even look like a beggar anymore!
(see pictures below)

My biggest loss is indeed the biker look. 3 unique pieces + 2 outfits for this.

The tonics, plus the outfits as a whole killed the point of having various town clothes. It was ok to see, for example, the Bloody Prince outfit as a whole piece, but I really enjoyed mixing pieces of the Cook’s outfit, for example.
Now, without the earmuffs, I feel like something is missing on my engineer.

Still talking about outfits, them being one piece leaves us less customisation too. Especially on the wintersday outfit, where one of the color channel is incorrect on what was the bottom part! You can’t even get coherent dyes on it anymore without ruining something else, like the socks. At least for females. I simply want to have a red ribbon without being force to dye the rest in red too.

Bring back a system where we can mix town clothes. Bring back outfits as several pieces. And bring back all those head accessories to the town clothing.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Any word in regards to the return of the Tribal light armor set in PvE? Or even all the other PvP-only armor sets?

There’s still lots of concern about this, but I’ll continue to eagerly wait for it. I just hope it’ll be brought back soon. Thanks.

METALROCKS.6097

I may have posted already here, but… I’ll simply complain again here.

Theses tonics are clearly one of the worst idea since the launch of the game. Even if it was trivial, I had fun farming for those clothes because it was good looking, and mixing them was good.

People got creative with those town clothes. But with those tonics, I will never be able to be cute and celebrate a quaggan marriage again.
I won’t be able to be kitten and be a “broom biker”.
And I miss my ear muffs with my wintersday dress.
I can’t even look like a beggar anymore!
(see pictures below)

My biggest loss is indeed the biker look. 3 unique pieces + 2 outfits for this.

The tonics, plus the outfits as a whole killed the point of having various town clothes. It was ok to see, for example, the Bloody Prince outfit as a whole piece, but I really enjoyed mixing pieces of the Cook’s outfit, for example.
Now, without the earmuffs, I feel like something is missing on my engineer.

Still talking about outfits, them being one piece leaves us less customisation too. Especially on the wintersday outfit, where one of the color channel is incorrect on what was the bottom part! You can’t even get coherent dyes on it anymore without ruining something else, like the socks. At least for females. I simply want to have a red ribbon without being force to dye the rest in red too.

Bring back a system where we can mix town clothes. Bring back outfits as several pieces. And bring back all those head accessories to the town clothing.

nice character.
i never got any other town clothing since you had to buy them with real money, but i was pretty happy with the standard one. but having it now as a tonic is bad. i have 2 more coats in my wardrobe and i cant put them on without using these stupid transmutation. they are not in the inventory so yeah, great, cant put them on.

Attachments:

Guhracie.3419

Anything in the wardrobe doesn’t change your stats at all, it just changes what your equipment looks like. And you always had to use gemstore items (which are still available in-game, for map completion, daily completion and various other rewards) in order to change your item appearance. The only thing that’s changed is now you can collect the appearances in your wardrobe and once you have them, you can use them as many times as you’d like- for the cost of the transmute.

Previously, it used to destroy one of the appearances entirely to use it, and it could only be used on one character on your account. This is a vast improvement over what it used to be.

The tonics are not an improvement, no argument here.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

METALROCKS.6097

im wondering why it doesnt show a comparison from what you are wearing with the once you have in your wardrobe. i have 2 coats in my wardrobe and it just tells me what it is but no other status for what level it is, the pros and cons, etc.
also, why the hell cant i sell them on the lion trading shop? i can sell them to just a normal NPC seller.

Guhracie.3419

im wondering why it doesnt show a comparison from what you are wearing with the once you have in your wardrobe. i have 2 coats in my wardrobe and it just tells me what it is but no other status for what level it is, the pros and cons, etc.
also, why the hell cant i sell them on the lion trading shop? i can sell them to just a normal NPC seller.

Okay, you’re not reading what I’m saying.

The wardrobe doesn’t have equipment in it.

It has cosmetic appearance items in it.

There are no stats on the items, because they’re not real items. They’re just a paintbrush to change what your armor looks like. If you click on the top panel where it says “Hero: Wardrobe” you’ll get to a menu that has an option for equipment, and that’s where you can see what you have in your inventory to equip.

The two coats you see in your wardrobe are just to change the appearance of what you’re wearing.

I really don’t know how to make this more clear.

You can’t sell some items on the trading post after you’ve used them. It will say “Soulbound” or “Account Bound” near the bottom when you hover over the item. Some of these items can’t be sold to vendors, either.

-Mike O’Brien

METALROCKS.6097

Okay, you’re not reading what I’m saying.

The wardrobe doesn’t have equipment in it.

It has cosmetic appearance items in it.

There are no stats on the items, because they’re not real items. They’re just a paintbrush to change what your armor looks like. If you click on the top panel where it says “Hero: Wardrobe” you’ll get to a menu that has an option for equipment, and that’s where you can see what you have in your inventory to equip.

The two coats you see in your wardrobe are just to change the appearance of what you’re wearing.

I really don’t know how to make this more clear.

You can’t sell some items on the trading post after you’ve used them. It will say “Soulbound” or “Account Bound” near the bottom when you hover over the item. Some of these items can’t be sold to vendors, either.

ok, now i understand it. sorry that i didnt clearly understood you before. i just started to play this game after a very long break and then i have to see these changes.

Posted by: Lehko.9687

Lehko.9687

Wow I’m actually sad that, I come back after a year and they removed this feature.
Wow, I can’t dye my town clothes.
Wow, I can’t interchange my clothes to make a neat look.
Wow, a tonic that takes up an inventory slot.
If altoholics were seriously having trouble putting their town clothes, in THEIR bank, and transferring it to another character, why not just – for people who have bought the outfits – Get a tonic that unlocks the set PER character they have? Every time they make a new character they can be just sent an in game mail with the tonic. Sorry I haven’t read much of the forums as to why they did this but come on, this is crippling, disheartening, and above all the opposite of what Guild Wars 2 was supposed to stand for…. which was somewhere along the lines of what the players want.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I still don’t understand the “Not crossing armor classes” argument for using Town Clothes as normal armor skins.

I mean, all the event skins are placed across all three armor classes. Your helmet, shoulder, gloves, and whatnot are going to have shared skins. The skins available in the gem shop don’t even share the same basic armor class styles. Ancestral looks like light armor, but can be used for heavies. Pirate captain looks like medium armor. Profane armor doesn’t look like light armor at all.

Posted by: thundermarch.5643

thundermarch.5643

1) I’m sad to see that i pay for the town clothes that now are turned into endless tonic who is now useless for me if i can’t make arrangement with them …

I pay for exemple my chery blossom clothes for make arrangement with other part of clothes and dyes them. Now we just have this usless tonic, that transform us. We can’t even fight we them …

The different part of "clothes’’ could be added into the bank and be used into an armor, as the sunglasses or aviator helmet ( the rest of the armor was turn into the endless riding clothes tonic and we can see the helmet in, so why don’t add all in the same time ? ) … It’s the same shame as if an update put the arnarchist new armor into a tonic or glowing crimson mask…

We buy this clothes for uses them so please let them back.

( The new ancestral outfit is as light as the older town clothes so i don’t understand why we can’t used the old ! )

2) On the older system we could put a key for change to our fight clothes to our town clothes if think it was a good think to because for change now, we should always pass by the character wardrobe and notch for which we want.

3) Not really in the subject but why the tribal set is still no yet avaible ?

I love this game and i think that little update like that could make them more awesome !

(edited by thundermarch.5643)