Game does not reward healers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

Not quite as incorrect as you want to claim.

The Zerker or GTFO meta is proof enough of this.

The Zerker meta is more about support not being gear dependant, rather than just dealing damage. Else necro’s would be just as wanted in PvE as Guardians and Elementalists are.

Support is dominant in every from of the game, even more so than damage.

How so? Almost all of the desirable support (vulnerability, might, fury, reflects, damage multipliers like banners and frost spirit, etc.) in PvE is about increasing group DPS, right? Most dungeon groups (other than maybe high level fractals) don’t really care about CC, healing, or defensive support, do they? They just want each player to bring the minimum need to stay alive while producing as much DPS as possible.

Btw, this is not so much a criticism as an observation. The game appears to have been designed for this.

Block, Aegis, Retaliation, Steath, Reflection, Absorbtion, Daze, Stun, Blind, Pull, Wall.

Of course these are used. Stealth for skips, aegis for avoiding big hits, reflects for providing defense but also provide huge damage…daze, stun, blind, and pull are nearly useless against bosses. Weakness and chill are more useful than any of them against most bosses. Retaliation is all but useless except against trash mobs since one hit often downs. Wall is support? Who brings wall? ;-)

But aside from that, how is even all of the above together considered “dominant in every form of the game, even more so than damage?” DPS, dodging, and positioning seems to be about 90% of PvE.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Combat is very one dimensional and somewhat shallow in the game.

In pve zerker meta and pew pew something stacked until it’s dead.

Pvp you have a few more options but everything in this game is indeed judged and rewarded by how much dps you do.

All else is an after thought.

Says the guy who accepted Dub’s challenge and never showed up for it, hm?

You mean the same guy that got some obsessive player and his obsessive friends to log on in the middle of the morning and wait for hours on end for something that means absolutely nothing?

Let me introduce you to being rl trolled.

A bunch of us got a big laugh out of it in ts. We honestly didn’t think anyone takes games that seriously – especially this one.

Enjoy

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

(edited by Azreell.1568)

Posted by: Anubis.9346

Anubis.9346

In PvE Yes. Better go zerk.

Get Get [iNk] Insidious Blink

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

The game doesn’t reward dedicated healing. So no fear of getting your hands dirty, since you don’t deal the amount of damage to actually aggro mobs.

Full DPS characters can melt quick, if they just spec for maximum damage.

CC will also melt quickly, if only focusing on CC and nothing else.

In one way, the contribution system works as intended, to discourage fully dedicated play style…

I also play Support Elementalist on World Bosses, also that most World bosses are immune to crits so Cleric armor isn’t so bad to use, increases the general longevity of DPS and CC players, instead of dying at some point.

I always switch to other attunements when water fields, blast-finishers and Evasive Arcana are on cooldown, and use the skills provided, I also give Protection, Regen, Swiftness and Might with Elemental Attunement trait.

So far, I get same amount of rewards as I would get from playing DPS or CC.
Perhaps healing and CCs are another variable that increases the contribution score, as long as you deal damage.

Other thing that also helps, is obviously not to invoke the DR code.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

while there is no trinity and ANet wants to discourage players from taking roles in the game, some events would fail if there wasn’t someone trying to rez all the people that are downed. I, too, have found myself in that situation where I try to participate in an event but so many people are going down I have to rez them or we all fail. Then when the event ends I only get bronze if anything while feeling almost solely responsible for the success of the event. It would be nice to be recognized by the game for this.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

while there is no trinity and ANet wants to discourage players from taking roles in the game, some events would fail if there wasn’t someone trying to rez all the people that are downed. I, too, have found myself in that situation where I try to participate in an event but so many people are going down I have to rez them or we all fail. Then when the event ends I only get bronze if anything while feeling almost solely responsible for the success of the event. It would be nice to be recognized by the game for this.

Reviving Defeated Player depends on the event.

But reviving can’t be modified with healing stat. Only some Professions have Trait that increases revive speed by 10%, to be most effective reviver, you’d have to use Mercy runes.

On other hand, mercy runes do make a good tank set.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Heck OP I play a Mesmer main ( yes I KNOW, I was new and didnt know about mesmers ok, now stop laughing )

and even MY weapons heal me and party,( sigils of water) so you do not need a dedicated healer ( I used to main a healer of every class in WoW btw so know what you mean , but this game does not need a healer or tank !

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I agree that is wrong, and they really need to do something there, I spent most of My time on Claw rezzing and know exactly what you mean !!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The Zerker meta is more about support not being gear dependant, rather than just dealing damage. Else necro’s would be just as wanted in PvE as Guardians and Elementalists are.

How so? Almost all of the desirable support (vulnerability, might, fury, reflects, damage multipliers like banners and frost spirit, etc.) in PvE is about increasing group DPS, right? Most dungeon groups (other than maybe high level fractals) don’t really care about CC, healing, or defensive support, do they? They just want each player to bring the minimum need to stay alive while producing as much DPS as possible.

Btw, this is not so much a criticism as an observation. The game appears to have been designed for this.

All games are designed for this.

In a trinity game do you bring more healers than you absolutely have to?
Do you bring more tanks than you have to ?
No – you don’t. You stick with the bear minimum that’s required and just add in more dps for a better kill.

People’s concept of roles is wrong – there’s no tank / healer and dps in GW2.

The fact that people like SkiTz still claim we have 1 role – DPS – proves how wrongly people see the game and how little they understand of the current system.

Guild Wars 2 is not a game where everyone is DPS. Guild Wars 2 is a game where all 3 roles are combined.

When you’re blocking attacks/mitigating damage you’re doing the tank part. When you’re dealing damage you’re doing the dps part – and every class has a self-heal skill so you’re always doing your own healer part too.

The system is not “just dps” because if it was you wouldn’t have anything but damage with nothing on the side.

You can choose to improve all 3 of these aspects of your character but ultimately you’ve got all 3 in 1 and claiming otherwise is just plain wrong.

As FrostSpectre.4198 very well points out " system works as intended, to discourage fully dedicated play style" – you’re supposed to balance things.

If you go full damage with your gear and traits you’re going to need skills that allow you to mitigate incoming damage in order to stay alive.
If you go full defense you’re going to trait up and bring skills that allow you to deal better damage.

You can’t do a specific role well – and that’s how the game was designed.

Everybody keeps saying " oh but zerkers are so strong and do content so fast because of huge dps " – but what happens when you miss a dodge? or fail a block or blind?
Zerker parties wipe. simple as that.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Combat is very one dimensional and somewhat shallow in the game.

In pve zerker meta and pew pew something stacked until it’s dead.

Pvp you have a few more options but everything in this game is indeed judged and rewarded by how much dps you do.

All else is an after thought.

Says the guy who accepted Dub’s challenge and never showed up for it, hm?

You mean the same guy that got some obsessive player and his obsessive friends to log on in the middle of the morning and wait for hours on end for something that means absolutely nothing?

Let me introduce you to being rl trolled.

A bunch of us got a big laugh out of it in ts. We honestly didn’t think anyone takes games that seriously – especially this one.

Enjoy

Sounds like you chickened out. Agreeing to something and not showing up is not trolling.

I also play Support Elementalist on World Bosses, also that most World bosses are immune to crits so Cleric armor isn’t so bad to use, increases the general longevity of DPS and CC players, instead of dying at some point.

Wtf are you talking about. World bosses can be crit. Structure world bosses like tequatl cannot, but bosses like Svanir Shaman can easily be crit….

(edited by calyx.9086)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m ok with this.

Want rewards? Then be useful and kill something.

Be useful?
‘Kay, I’ll keep that in the back of my mind when you’re flat on your kitten or dead entirely and need a rez. I’ll keep that in mind when I have the ability to grant aegis to my party before a large attack lands. I’ll keep that in mind when a knockback is needed to prevent someone from stomping your face in.

Damage, while important, should not be the only contributing factor in determining someone’s worth in a fight. Whether they deserve rewards or not.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Block, Aegis, Retaliation, Steath, Reflection, Absorbtion, Daze, Stun, Blind, Pull, Wall.

Miku has it right, Vulnerability is a condition, not DPS. Just because it increased damage done by DPS, doesn’t mean it supports your idea. It is just another condition.

All the others (conditions, snares, etc) are needed so you CAN DPS properly.

Also, ‘Zerker’ is the meta defined by players as the most important, A.Net just said it has the highest DPS, they didn’t say that it is the most desirable. The players have said that it is.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Game play and content design usually determines what is most desirable in my experience.

Posted by: Arclight.9437

Arclight.9437

I like it that GW2 has eliminated the trinity, and that loot is based on damage done. Still, 100% healing specs seem to be slowly going away from all games, not just GW2. Game bosses have insane amounts of health for everyone not to be doing some damage on them. Even in wow, where “the trinity” still exists, healers now have talents to dps when needed, and are expected to have a dps off spec since most fights are 2 heal now. Not a bad system. It keeps people from holding groups “hostage” because the have a “key role.”