Game name Change?

Game name Change?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

As i see it a present:

“Guild” Very little purpose or present to be in a guild, are they worth the time/ resource investment?
“Wars” – where are they?

“Guild Wars” – Nah guilds dont fight guilds

Game name Change?

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

the game is named after this:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

nothing to do with game mechanics

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Game name Change?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And in Guild Wars 1 obviously guilds were there only to war with each other… because every single guild in Guild Wars 1 was doing GvG and in that GvG every player of that guild was participating. /s

Guilds are there to form communities, they are there so you make friends and do content together. That’s what a guild in an MMORPG should always be first and then some mechanical gimmick.

As for war between guilds, you can take a guild team, with the guild logo and name, and play through the PVP seasons, there are extra rewards for competing teams.

Also, there are a lot of guild raids forming in WvW that are looking to fight other guild raid teams in 20vs20 (or more) battles.

There is plenty of “Guild” in the game, and plenty of “War”

Game name Change?

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

And in Guild Wars 1 obviously guilds were there only to war with each other… because every single guild in Guild Wars 1 was doing GvG and in that GvG every player of that guild was participating. /s

Guilds are there to form communities, they are there so you make friends and do content together. That’s what a guild in an MMORPG should always be first and then some mechanical gimmick.

As for war between guilds, you can take a guild team, with the guild logo and name, and play through the PVP seasons, there are extra rewards for competing teams.

Also, there are a lot of guild raids forming in WvW that are looking to fight other guild raid teams in 20vs20 (or more) battles.

blah “guild” in this game is entirely a gimmick, with very little need for the guild to work together for next to useless rewards vs time and effort… how much content relies on guild team work.. bar raids that 80% of the game base doesnt play due to elitism. As you say the guild is there for communication for friends, thats it.

War – your only suggestion is pvp in a team, thats a team… you can hardly use this as a collective for the need of a guild.

- There are no “guild wars” why should the game be called something that it doesn’t even contain, i dont get it. Sonic the hedgehog was in Sonic 2, Super Mario bros 2 contained Mario, even and this may blow your mind Diablo 3 has Diablo in it

Game name Change?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, take your entire Guild into WvW and ‘war’ against others. Nothing in the title states that Guilds may only ‘war’ against other Guilds.

Game name Change?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The lore was created (after) to support the intended game design and the GvG game mode.

Game name Change?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What difference does it make why the game is called “Guild Wars”? Regardless of whether it made sense then or now, the name alone isn’t a financially sound reason to add a new game mode. Lots of things in RL are misnamed: Iceland being greener than Greenland, stainless steel can be stained, lots of pomegranate juices are mostly apple juice, etc.

GW2 doesn’t have wars between guilds because ANet doesn’t think it would be worth the time/expense relative to how many new players it would bring to the game. The name is incidental to that decision.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Game name Change?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I played Minecraft but I never crafted a mine.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Game name Change?

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Apparently it’s named after something lore wise….

If you were around at game release, many players like myself actually believed that there would be Guild Wars, heck the community even went to the effort of organising Guild v Guild, the closest thing this game ever got to having actual Guild Wars….

This is how they felt about that: https://youtu.be/JcPTsIAKAbU?t=1442

You can see the crowds these events used to drag in from all sorts of players including PvE, PvP and WvW. There was a very active scene behind GvG.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Game name Change?

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Social Justice Warriors 1, or Ley Lines Online

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Game name Change?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I can’t be the only one who does wvw and notices the various guilds that represent their servers. But you might say, “how do they represent a server if they keep moving?”. And to that I might say, “well…I guess it’s not wvw then, more like gvg”.

Game name Change?

Posted by: Enus.2781

Enus.2781

blah “guild” in this game is entirely a gimmick, with very little need for the guild to work together for next to useless rewards vs time and effort… how much content relies on guild team work.. bar raids that 80% of the game base doesnt play due to elitism. As you say the guild is there for communication for friends, thats it.

War – your only suggestion is pvp in a team, thats a team… you can hardly use this as a collective for the need of a guild.

- There are no “guild wars” why should the game be called something that it doesn’t even contain, i dont get it. Sonic the hedgehog was in Sonic 2, Super Mario bros 2 contained Mario, even and this may blow your mind Diablo 3 has Diablo in it

The answer was spoon-fed to you and you still probably didn’t read it. No the game doesn’t need its name changed because it ties in with the story, not pvp.

Game name Change?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The lore was created (after) to support the intended game design and the GvG game mode.

I’ve seen this brought up several times but never backed by a source. Do you have one that you could share?

Game name Change?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I bought a Mustang, but it turned out not to be a horse. Ford refused to change the name.

I ate Ladyfingers and Girl Scout cookies, but wasn’t arrested for cannibalism.

I watched the Miss Universe Pageant, but none of the contestants were from off-Earth.

Names mean very little. I mean, a “reality” TV show figure will soon be called “Mr. President”. How unreal is that?

My suggestion is that you ignore “Guild Wars 2” and just think of it as “GW2”. That way you can substitute whatever makes sense to you:

• Gaming Wurmslayers 2
  • Gardening Workout 2 (for the people who do a lot of harvesting).
  • Generals & Warlords 2 (for the WvWers).
  • Going Walking 2 (for people who still want mounts).
  • Gripers & Whiners 2 (for us forum posters).
Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist