Game of the Year by Gamespot!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

GW2 combat gameplay has done nothing that stands out…

You clearly never played any other MMO in your life. Go get WoW or any themepark MMO and you’ll quickly miss the great combat of GW2.

You could have said anything, but not “combat gameplay has done nothing that stands out”. For kitten sake…

What really stands out? The combo system that first started in single player RPGs that have been in MMORPGs for over 10 years already? Or is it the FPS style targeting and avoiding damage that existed before Darkfall, but that’s the earliest game that I can name by name? Is it the achievement system? No, that was xbox… Wait, it’s different abilities based on your weapon, just like what FFXIV did, right?

No, GW2’s combat system stands out as being original and innovative, it’s not just a mashup of things that already existed. This combat system only stands out if WoW and games in that style were the only ones you’ve played. Any experienced MMORPG player just sees a bunch of boring, overused mechanics.

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

You clearly never played any other MMO in your life. Go get WoW or any themepark MMO and you’ll quickly miss the great combat of GW2.

You could have said anything, but not “combat gameplay has done nothing that stands out”. For kitten sake…

What really stands out? The combo system that first started in single player RPGs that have been in MMORPGs for over 10 years already? Or is it the FPS style targeting and avoiding damage that existed before Darkfall, but that’s the earliest game that I can name by name? Is it the achievement system? No, that was xbox… Wait, it’s different abilities based on your weapon, just like what FFXIV did, right?

No, GW2’s combat system stands out as being original and innovative, it’s not just a mashup of things that already existed. This combat system only stands out if WoW and games in that style were the only ones you’ve played. Any experienced MMORPG player just sees a bunch of boring, overused mechanics.

Dude, you could do this song and dance with ANY game.

Like, let’s just name a game that everyone knows is very successful…I’m going to use WoW, but really, you can insert any game you want into this Mad-Lib:

“What really stands out with WoW? Almost everything involving combat in WoW was done before in Everquest. The idea of mining for materials was done much better in UO where you could mine almost anywhere. I guess you could consider the gameplay more action-based than EQ, but FPS and true action games have it beaten hands down. Any experienced gamer will realize that WoW is just another worthless derivative game. There is no way it will be successful.”

Sound familiar?

Here’s the thing man…games build upon each other, and each individual game is kind of like a food dish that is prepared from the same pool of ingredients. And much like food, it is the combination and preparation of these ingredients that makes the game interesting…NOT the ingredients themselves.

You cannot reduce a food dish to its component parts and discredit it. For example, I can’t say that Chicken Makhani is “uninteresting” because it contains tomatoes, cream, turmeric, cumin, chicken, etc.. And we’ve all seen those ingredients before!

That would be a stupid argument, and anyone that eats food would realize that.

It is the EXACT same way with games. Two games may even be composed of the EXACT same components, but the organization and use of these components are what make or break a game.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

What i do not get is why has Far Cry 3 not been on any of the year list?

Likely the “list” was developed before it came out and Gamespot is not capable of updating their list for late in the year releases.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I would hardly say Gamespot is accolades from “the industry”. British Academy of Film and Television Arts, Academy of Interactive Entertainment, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, The Game Developers Conference… These organizations/events are actually comprised of people who work on video games; most of these entities require certain criteria to be eligible for membership/participation. I’m more interested in what the actual industry people view as the best game (of the year and respective genres) for 2012.

Also keep in mind there’s at least 40+ critic and editor awards (not including reader’s choice, voter’s choice, and sites that award based on aggregating reviews)…. Gamespot might matter here in the states, but Eurogamer UK is a bigger deal across the pond; what viewpoint is more/less valid to a developer trying to produce something globally successful?

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

REALLY deserved it IMO. This game is so much fun. If you just walk around, look at the scenery, play with friends, do dungeons. Laugh and do events together. Its so awesome

Good job Anet and congratulations!

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

And another game of the year award for GW2 xD

But really, it beat out really good games like ME3 (shame about that ending), XCOM, Dishonoured (too easy) and TWD, all of which were among the highlights of the year (Torchlight 2 should be in that list also) – so very good result there

I’m also glad all the over-hyped trash this year like Diablo3, Halo4, CODblops2, WoW MOP, and AC3 got denied.

Richly deserved win GW2, congrats to Anet once again

Hahah you said over-hyped trash and didn’t include GW2. This games was the most over-hyped and trash of all. MoP was not over-hyped because Cata was so terrible and MoP actually ended up being pretty good.

Oh it also outsold GW2 (the brand new end all to all mmo’s, the game that will revolutionize the mmo genre, the ground breaking never seen before stuff in an mmo almighty game). If there was an over-hyped and failed game award it would go to GW2.

LOL nice competition it had too. I bet The Elder Scrolls Online will even outsell GW2.

Only thing I agree about is the Art award. Definitely is a great looking game. Too bad the rest sucks.

bojangles.6912

It’s a well deserved award, if only because, for once, we have a game that mostly lived up to the hype.

Although I’m disappointed that Torchlight II was not even nominated.

Sorry, didn’t even come close to the hype. Tell that to the many people who left the game within a month after launch. Failed game is fail.

bojangles.6912

It’s a well deserved award, if only because, for once, we have a game that mostly lived up to the hype.

Sorry, didn’t even come close to the hype. Tell that to the many people who left the game within a month after launch. Failed game is fail.

Can I ask…does it physically hurt you to see GW2 win GOTY accolades? Or just emotionally hurt?

Yeah I am hurt over a PC goty where its competition was basically like the 0-16 Lions. You seem mad that this game was extremely over-hyped and ended up failing as “the next mmo”. Maybe GW3 will live up to the hype since this one failed so bad. Sorry that an 8 yr old mmo’s expansion can still outsell a brand new mmo like GW2. I bet that is why you are so upset.

Creslin.1758

Can I ask…does it physically hurt you to see GW2 win GOTY accolades? Or just emotionally hurt?

Yeah I am hurt over a PC goty where its competition was basically like the 0-16 Lions. You seem mad that this game was extremely over-hyped and ended up failing as “the next mmo”. Maybe GW3 will live up to the hype since this one failed so bad. Sorry that an 8 yr old mmo’s expansion can still outsell a brand new mmo like GW2. I bet that is why you are so upset.

Haha I’m the one that seems mad?

GW2 wins an award, I say congrats, you say preposterous!!! An outrage!!! Doesn’t deserve it!!! Who seems mad here lol?

Also…an expansion to WoW is near guaranteed to outsell ANY MMO. WoW has such a huge player base that it has built up over years. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against WoW, but outselling GW2 does not make MoP the better product…especially when MoP had such a massive leg-up in the pre-existing consumer department.

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Well deserved, ArenaNet!

Creslin.1758

GW2 wins an award, I say congrats, you say preposterous!!! An outrage!!! Doesn’t deserve it!!! Who seems mad here lol?

Also…an expansion to WoW is near guaranteed to outsell ANY MMO. WoW has such a huge player base that it has built up over years. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against WoW, but outselling GW2 does not make MoP the better product…especially when MoP had such a massive leg-up in the pre-existing consumer department.

Ok. So tell me this then. How many awards did WoW win from launch till now? I love how you are bragging about a PC award yet my games have all won awards and won bigger ones. And no, expansions don’t outsell any mmo. Did Rift’s expansion outsell GW2? Did LotR expansion outsell GW2? Hmmmmm maybe should learn some facts before posting false info. Google.com is your friend.

Oh and don’t get me wrong, but I find it funny you compare and expansion to full on game. How about take ALL of WoW? Yeah WoW blows GW2 out of the water. It always makes me laugh when people who drink the GW2 Kool-aid only compare parts of WoW to all of GW2.

I’m not bragging about GW2, never was. I just said “congrats,” which I think is a fairly reasonable response when someone wins an award…even if you don’t particularly like them, it’s a reasonable and polite response.

On the other hand, “you don’t deserve it” or “your game is terrible” are not reasonable responses. I mean, you are kind of pulling a Kanye here. “GW2 Imma let you finish, but WoW was the greatest MMORPG of all time!!!!!”

And I don’t think you got my argument about MoP outselling GW2…

MoP didn’t outsell GW2 because it’s an expansion. MoP outsold GW2 because it’s WoW and WoW has a huge player base.

Kind of like how…imagine if two movies came out “Avatar 2” and “The Perfect Host 2.”

What movie do you think more people would watch? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say “Avatar 2.” Avatar already has a huge fan-base, and most of them will probably watch the sequel. The Perfect Host on the other hand, is a niche indie movie that hardly anyone knows about…less people will watch it.

Comprende?

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Nayru.3947

Nayru.3947

Yes. You seem way too attached to GW2.

tonyl.5063

Like, let’s just name a game that everyone knows is very successful…I’m going to use WoW, but really, you can insert any game you want into this Mad-Lib:

“What really stands out with WoW? Almost everything involving combat in WoW was done before in Everquest. The idea of mining for materials was done much better in UO where you could mine almost anywhere. I guess you could consider the gameplay more action-based than EQ, but FPS and true action games have it beaten hands down. Any experienced gamer will realize that WoW is just another worthless derivative game. There is no way it will be successful.”

Sound familiar?

Here’s the thing man…games build upon each other, and each individual game is kind of like a food dish that is prepared from the same pool of ingredients. And much like food, it is the combination and preparation of these ingredients that makes the game interesting…NOT the ingredients themselves.

You cannot reduce a food dish to its component parts and discredit it. For example, I can’t say that Chicken Makhani is “uninteresting” because it contains tomatoes, cream, turmeric, cumin, chicken, etc.. And we’ve all seen those ingredients before!

It is the EXACT same way with games. Two games may even be composed of the EXACT same components, but the organization and use of these components are what make or break a game.

But where other games are different, is it’s not an exact copy of an alredy existing system, they put their twist on it. Everquest opened the combos to a single character thing, WoW condensed the 20+ MMORPG classes down to 8, split them into trees letting you play the guardian and berserer as just one class called “warrior”, making the class change just changing where your talent points are over leveling a second warrior with almost identical abilities (WAY too many people don’t realize that’s how the game’s classes work), Darkfall made dodging, and blocking an actual player-skill based system, TERA polished it up a lot. The public quests nobody has ever got right, they work at the begining, and turn into nothing more than a roadblock once the game matures.

Where was GW2 innovative at all? This is what we’re saying. This game brings nothing new to the table. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad game, but it definitely shouldn’t be the game who’s community is bashing the giants out there. The game is just missing that thing that makes it stand out from the rest.

We said why the combat system is boring in this game… If there’s a reason it should be seen as interesting and exciting, how about examples, rather than “play wow and you’ll see how AWESOME this game is”

Creslin.1758

Yes. You seem way too attached to GW2.

Mah bad, I didn’t realize that I had to be 100% negative about the game all the time, or I risk being “too attached.”

Just out of curiosity, can you point out a single thing I’ve said in this thread that makes me seem too attached and explain why?

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Next

Please return to topic instead of discussing the condition of your psyches or degrading each other’s opinion.

Thank you.

Bruno Sardine.2907

For me, I get a little worked up on how a GOTY, or really any subjective award, is determined… and when a fairly trusted source for consumers uses “perty colors and pixel arrangement”, or anything short of a holistic approach as their argument for why they award GW2, or any game, as the game of year, I find it lazy on the part of the critics and even a little insulting to the nominees and winner, who put much more time into other aspects of the game than art direction and graphics (though they are important pieces).

If gamespot had presented a set of criteria that deeply evaluated games from a variety of angles and determined GW2 as the winner, I’d recognize the accomplishment even if I didn’t entirely agree with the decision.

Posted by: SlickBizzle.1083

SlickBizzle.1083

And another game of the year award for GW2 xD

But really, it beat out really good games like ME3 (shame about that ending), XCOM, Dishonoured (too easy) and TWD, all of which were among the highlights of the year (Torchlight 2 should be in that list also) – so very good result there

I’m also glad all the over-hyped trash this year like Diablo3, Halo4, CODblops2, WoW MOP, and AC3 got denied.

Richly deserved win GW2, congrats to Anet once again

Means nothing. Let’s wait to see what the people say.

And before you call WoW overhyped trash, to keep 10 million people playing an 8 year old game, they’re obviously doing something right…

You mean by giving half-truths about those “10 million subscribers” to make a dying game sound more popular than it actually is? I will agree.

But back to the main topic:

I am still having a good time in the game, so Game of the Year doesn’t surprise me.

tonyl.5063

That’s why the site’s opinion is meaningless. We’re the one’s playing these games, some of us are actively playing a few different MMORPGs too… And critics are just people with an opinion, the difference though is that they know how to market their opinion to make money.

We’re the opinion that matters. As much as I have no shortage of complaints about this game, it’s not a bad game… It’s entertaining,that’s the whole point of playing games. While I don’t think this game brings enough to be “award winning”, the rest of the people out there might think it does. But another problem with sites like Gamespot is that they left games out. The people only get to vote in a biased poll.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Congratulations Arenanet! Well deserved for a great game.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

shrug I know there are a lot of people voicing their ‘disdain’ for the GW@ GOTY but I’m happy to see Anet receive this award. I’ve played a lot…LOT of mmo’s over the years and I find this one to be a refreshing departure from the norm.

So I’ll say CONGRATS Anet! I think the fact that this award was VOTED in by players (I know because I voted for you) says a lot more about how well the public likes the game…

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I’d like to keep this thread positive please. Make your own topic if you have a complaint. Thanks!

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Congratulations ArenaNet

It’s certainly the best mmo I’ve played this year.

Bruno Sardine.2907

I’d like to keep this thread positive please. Make your own topic if you have a complaint. Thanks!

Then follow GW2 on twitter or post a message on their FB page… posting something in the forums, especially in the general discussion page, makes it subject to discussion regardless of the viewpoint.

Just so this isn’t all ad hominem and speaking from my high horse…. I have no problem with GW2 winning awards, but as I’ve stated I have a problem in how the award is determined since the link posted paints this game as good merely from one aspect. If I’m someone who never heard of GW2 and looked at this article, the only thing I would get is “so this game is good because it has good graphics/art direction”? Gamespot’s review is woefully inadequate at describing why it considers this game as GOTY.

It’s not only helpful to have a well rounded case of why this game is the best of 2012 so that consumers understand why this game is so good, but it helps Anet understand what it did well/decent/poorly and it helps competition to understand what it should consider next time if they want to be GOTY. Not sure how saying something is the best because it’s the flashiest says anything that pushes the industry in a positive direction.

Posted by: ChristianV.7514

ChristianV.7514

Congrats to ArenaNet! Well deserved. This game is absolutely beautiful and incredibly fun to play. I haven’t had this much fun playing an mmo in years (since the late Vanilla/Burning Crusade days in wow, and for a brief moment SW:TOR). There are still some minor bugs and quite a few tweaks that could be made but it appears that anet is staying in touch with the community and continuously working on improving or fixing what needs to be fixed – and that is the most important thing as MMO’s are organic and they are perpetually growing and changing.

Creslin.1758

Sound familiar?

But where other games are different, is it’s not an exact copy of an alredy existing system, they put their twist on it. Everquest opened the combos to a single character thing, WoW condensed the 20+ MMORPG classes down to 8, split them into trees letting you play the guardian and berserer as just one class called “warrior”, making the class change just changing where your talent points are over leveling a second warrior with almost identical abilities (WAY too many people don’t realize that’s how the game’s classes work), Darkfall made dodging, and blocking an actual player-skill based system, TERA polished it up a lot. The public quests nobody has ever got right, they work at the begining, and turn into nothing more than a roadblock once the game matures.

Where was GW2 innovative at all? This is what we’re saying. This game brings nothing new to the table. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad game, but it definitely shouldn’t be the game who’s community is bashing the giants out there. The game is just missing that thing that makes it stand out from the rest.

We said why the combat system is boring in this game… If there’s a reason it should be seen as interesting and exciting, how about examples, rather than “play wow and you’ll see how AWESOME this game is”

Like I said before, games build upon each other…nothing is really 100% innovative…

Further…this doesn’t even matter. Being “innovative” or “original” does not make a game “good.” Being a great game makes it good. Take a look at how what you said is “innovative” really is not:

_Everquest and your player combos thing: _
Not sure what you are talking about here, so can’t really dispute it lol.

WoW and “condensing the classes to 8:”
Some old school RPG games only had four classes (fighter, mage, priest, thief)…and some probably had even less. So how is WoW “condensing the classes” to 8 in any way “original?”

Darkfall and skill based dodging and blocking:
Ever play an FPS or action-game? Oh, and it’s not like collision based combat hasn’t been done in RPGs before…I remember it way back in Elder Scrolls Arena lol.

TERA and “polishing it up:”
Polishing something up that already exists is by definition, not original.

Point is that saying a game is undeserving of an award because it is not “innovative” or “original” is stupid. NO GAME is completely innovative or original. They all build upon themselves. You have to look at the entire picture of the game to see if it is good or not.

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Creslin.1758

Inconceivable! I demand a recount!

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

So… haters are still around here? Another day has started in the magic land of internet.

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Congratz GW2 , winner on all accounts. Don’t let us down in the future <3 happy wintersday.

play hard , go pro.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

To players who’s only played MMO’s in their life; GW2 combat stands out.

To players who have played and enjoyed every type of games out there; GW2 combat is ‘meh’.

I’m not saying GW2’s gameplay is bad…. but all this defense to GW2 combat being original is a lie. The game is a recreation of different types of combat style at best, not to be confused with being anything close to an original innovation. Key difference in GW2 combat with other MMO:

1) Casting spells on the move (which now they’re basically doing with every other MMO; but that is not a big deal to tanks and melee when spells are auto-targeted/face).

2) More skills available to players for simultaneous combat (10 offensive spells, 5 from each of the two swappable weapons.. basically still 10 spells with just extra CD limitations added).

If there’s truly anything original about GW2’s combat, it’s that all casuals can easily have the skills to pick up and play it. That’s probably the cold truth; is that everyone is made inclusive to this game, and that’s why you get the popularity even though its combat simply didn’t create anything new (last time I check, innovate means ‘to introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time’ <- off dictionary.com).

Sadly, if something requires more precisive execution in terms of teamwork, positioning, more complex logic, GW2 dumbed it down to a level that’s supposingly fair (ie. eliminate everything that gives an uneven playing field in combat: Like aim [a bunch of GW2 skills hits base on the center crosshair that doesn’t exist on your screen], like situational builds [or lack there of], like WASD juking [auto-aim.. enough said]; just a few things that have been half-heartily made originally then dumped into GW2’s current combat system).

But at the end of the day; GW2’s originality in art is what separates it from other games no doubt. They’re rendering art with over to 7 years of history, so the originality it has of course is not even questionable, and it is again the reason for this game’s success.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

So… haters are still around here? Another day has started in the magic land of internet.

Of course many of us feel as though this game isn’t deserving of any awards aside from best art and sound.

But the amount of threads saying “GW isn’t dying because of x” or “GW just won an award!” shows the playerbase is looking for reasons to believe in this game when many others don’t.

edit: Post above me nailed combat system, having a game for casuals with a simplistic team play system is fine, but I would rather they didn’t market it under the guide of a complex PvP game.

(edited by nofo.8469)

Creslin.1758

Of course many of us feel as though this game isn’t deserving of any awards aside from best art and sound.

But the amount of threads saying “GW isn’t dying because of x” or “GW just won an award!” shows the playerbase is looking for reasons to believe in this game when many others don’t.

edit: Post above me nailed combat system, having a game for casuals with a simplistic team play system is fine, but I would rather they didn’t market it under the guide of a complex PvP game.

Actually, I would think that “GW2 just won an award” would be a more expected topic at a fansite than “GW2 sucks, and it destroyed my life, and here is why.”

What annoys me about internet forums is how people love to put other posters in “boxes” just because they say one thing. Like I remember on the MMORPG forum, I was called both a “fanboi” and a “hater” of GW2 on many occasions.

It’s like, you say one thing, and BAM, categorized.

Like, why would someone posting that GW2 won an award mean that they are “looking for reasons to believe in this game?” And on the same token, couldn’t you argue that people posting about dead servers are looking for reasons to not believe in GW2 when others do?

It’s like, everyone just wants to justify their opinion and feel like they’re right. My feeling is…instead of trying to make it so reality fits your viewpoint, try to make it so your viewpoint fits reality.

If we look at the situation with GW2 rationally, we see that there are obviously less people playing, but at the same time there are still a lot of new sales, and the population is still fairly healthy on most of the servers. In addition, it is very highly rated, and has won several awards.

So it seems like the game is fairly successful to me. It is a bit lacking in PvE longevity though.

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Actually, I would think that “GW2 just won an award” would be a more expected topic at a fansite than “GW2 sucks, and it destroyed my life, and here is why.”

What annoys me about internet forums is how people love to put other posters in “boxes” just because they say one thing. Like I remember on the MMORPG forum, I was called both a “fanboi” and a “hater” of GW2 on many occasions.

It’s like, you say one thing, and BAM, categorized.

Like, why would someone posting that GW2 won an award mean that they are “looking for reasons to believe in this game?” And on the same token, couldn’t you argue that people posting about dead servers are looking for reasons to not believe in GW2 when others do?

It’s like, everyone just wants to justify their opinion and feel like they’re right. My feeling is…instead of trying to make it so reality fits your viewpoint, try to make it so your viewpoint fits reality.

If we look at the situation with GW2 rationally, we see that there are obviously less people playing, but at the same time there are still a lot of new sales, and the population is still fairly healthy on most of the servers. In addition, it is very highly rated, and has won several awards.

So it seems like the game is fairly successful to me. It is a bit lacking in PvE longevity though.

One person posting about a meaningful award isn’t looking for reasons to believe in this game, but you see posts here every day about every possible award from every possible site, xfire statistics jumping over christmas etc etc. Honestly I am glad arenaNet got some recognition for this game, they put a lot of effort into it, but their decisions in maintaining it post release are questionable at best and they deserve every bit of negative criticism they get. When players have to start looking for validation the game is good and stable outside of the playerbase then yes you should start worrying, just like you should start worrying when developers do drastic changes in design post release.

Some people who bash this game are doing so for reasons not to believe, others are just raging because they felt they purchased the game under false pretenses, which is in my opinion, justified.

To me the game isn’t terrible by any means, I really did like the art and sound in the game. But saying this game’s PvE or PvP for that matter lacks longevity is an understatement. MMO’s constantly bleed players until the developers bring players back through content OR they have player driven content that is deep and fun enough that they don’t have to.

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

It looks like this thread has run it’s course, and has veered off topic. Thanks for your support in helping us achieve this award.