Gamebreaking: Shields hide back items.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

Alright, it’s not really gamebreaking… Then again, it might be to some people, like me!

Obviously this non-issue “issue” has been around since the beginning of the game, but instead of just complaining, I’d like to propose two possible solutions:

1. Allow a stowed shield to be hidden, like how the helm, gloves, and shoulders can be. This could cause a problem in PvP, but then again it’s nearly impossible to tell what weapons someone is using from a distance.

2. Have the shield never stow. It would be permanently attached to the arm, which is how it was actually carried by knights when it wasn’t mounted to their steed.

Frankly, I think that second option would look AMAZING, but I do realize that it could cause problems with idle animations that make use of the left hand. Also, I guess it would have to magically disappear during some emotes, like dancing.

Nevertheless, I’d love to be rid of the distraction of my angel wings appearing and disappearing whenever my shield is stowed.

I know this is a super-minor issue, but one of the things that I really love about GW2 is how much focus and effort is put into the user interface and user experience of the game. Seriously, the UI/UX team at ArenaNet really takes the cake. This may actually be part of the problem, since I really don’t have much of anything else to complain about when it comes to UI/UX!

Anyway, thanks for your consideration! I’m really looking forward to the next expansion, as are many of my friends. I have very fond memories of the Nightfall expansion and can’t wait to head back to Elona.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Id not like to see number 2. I like seeing the shield on my back when stowed and this option would ruin the look for me as much as the current one does for you.

If they could ever make a toggle for deciding whether back ir shield gets priority on stow, then that would be win/win for all, but it might not be a technical possibility.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

The UX design of this game is atrocious.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

2 can’t work for a single simple reason – weapon swap.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

don’t like the sounds of #2 at all. shields had guiges (a long strap made of leather or rope) to stow it and free up the hands. not all shields were carried constantly on the arm, even in battle.

saying that, I would like a way to show backpieces instead of a shield when it gets stowed, and still have what we have now too. so, your #1 would be my preference.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

We already have an option its called hide backpiece.
The first solution is just wierd. Where did this shield i magically drawn came from…

The second is just wierd like why always have the shield drawn and not the sword.
This was bound to happen when every backpiece was not a cape. They cant add capes for w/e reason and having both visible would be aids. i dont agree with the claims that the way its handled is kittenhield are bulky by nature.

Shield also play a part in combat while backpiece does not there for i prefer the one showing ove the other while im out of combat.

But, if they can make it so default models in ovp wvw remain unaffected from the first option i suppose that would be the win win scenario.

But then again id like resources to content and not how shields look

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I agree. I actually want an option to disable every weapon type out of combat (some MMOs have this).

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

I would also like an option to hide my shield so my beautiful wings will show.

Posted by: zionophir.6845

zionophir.6845

shields should be stowed in the shoulders imo

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’d like to see an option to hide any or all stowed weapons. I’d also like them to add an option to automatically sheathe weapons immediately after combat ends.

I suppose it would be nice to have an option to set back item preference between a shield or the back item (or any other item that might come down the road, like a cloak or something else).

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

You clearly can’t have both visible, because it would be horrendous to look at.

You can’t have the shield hidden when stowed, because it’s silly to pull a shield out of nowhere every time combat starts, and inconsistent with game design being that weapons should be visible on your character at all times.

You can’t have the shield drawn at all times, because it would look strange with the character doing regular animations with a shield superglued to the arm.

Having the backpiece hidden seems like the lesser of three evils, since they are only cosmetic and have none of the issues listed above.

I am sure the Anet Devs have been through the process of elimination above and have come to the same conclusion. It’s not ideal, but it’s sort of the best solution available.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

it’s silly to pull a shield out of nowhere every time combat starts

Tons of other MMOs have this option, though. No, it doesn’t look silly. It’s a fantasy game. We teleport, summon rotten things, fire comes out of our hands, throw axes that bounce like plastic balls, we can shoot arrows without quivers, etc… So yeah, “disappearing” weapons would fit it perfectly.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

You can’t have the shield hidden when stowed, because it’s silly to pull a shield out of nowhere every time combat starts,

That is entirely subjective. We makes thousands of suspensions of disbelief in games so we can actually play a game and have fun doing it. When I stow my staff, it floats in the air behind my back. Whether it’s suspended because of a choice to make the game fun and enjoyable, or whether it’s a limitation to keep development at a reasonable cost in both dollars and turn around in time (any game could ‘fix’ the stowed floating sheathed staff problem, it would be extraordinarily expensive and time consuming), we come up with wonderful explanations after the fact to explain why things are the way they are, but it’s still about suspension and keeping a game and game.

and inconsistent with game design being that weapons should be visible on your character at all times.

I doubt there is an internal mission statement that indicates one of their core, fundamental design philosophies is that no design decision should ever:

a) covet thy neighbors wife
b) cause weapons, when sheathed, to become hidden

Flying goes against design philosophy. Mounts go against design philosophy. We had mix and match outfits, now we don’t. All things change.

Making it a toggle would allow you to not feel silly, and allow me to look how I want. Choices and options.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Alright, it’s not really gamebreaking… Then again, it might be to some people, like me!

Obviously this non-issue “issue” has been around since the beginning of the game, but instead of just complaining, I’d like to propose two possible solutions:

1. Allow a stowed shield to be hidden, like how the helm, gloves, and shoulders can be. This could cause a problem in PvP, but then again it’s nearly impossible to tell what weapons someone is using from a distance.

This would be a great option. When the game was first created, there weren’t a lot of back pieces but now they have become a huge fashion item. I would suggest you also copy this in the Suggestion sticky.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol