Gaming Headset?

Gaming Headset?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

What is a good company to buy a gaming headset from?

I’ve never bought one before. I want a headset with good sound quality (especially bass), and a good mic.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: silence.4513

silence.4513

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EQE0YM?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Turtlebeach X12

Great sound and mic. Even though it’s marketed for xBox, I’ve been using it on my PC for years. I like the fact that I can cut the mic on/off while in-game so I don’t have to worry about setting it up in Teamspeak.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

A gaming headset is only as good as the soundcard its being plugged into, are you using on board sound or a dedicated sound card, what is your budget?

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Sennheiser.

I currently have been using their G4me Zero headset for about a year now, love it.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

I use an Astro A40. Been the best(but most expensive) headset I have used in my life.

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Eldiora.5836

Eldiora.5836

I have also been using Sennheiser Headsets for the past 10 years, they have quality sound and a very good microphone. Those you talk to will thank you for not zirping, whooshing or other annoying sounds cheap microphones make.

Got a Game 360 currently and love it.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Znake.9762

Znake.9762

Yeah, as others have said, Sennheiser is top of the line. Personally, I have experience only of 363D: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-pc-363d but it is much better than any other headset I’ve ever owned before.

Gaming Headset?

mrauls.6519

A gaming headset is only as good as the soundcard its being plugged into, are you using on board sound or a dedicated sound card, what is your budget?

On board sound. Does a dedicated sound card go in a pci-e slot?

MOBO is Z97

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Gaming Headset?

mrauls.6519

Thank you for the recommendations! Going to analyze all of them.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Ive used Sennheiser for over 10 years, they are great headsets.

Dedicated cards will use a PCI slot yes.

Gaming Headset?

mrauls.6519

Four of you recommended Sennheiser. It sounds like a great brand, and from the prices/reviews it seems to make high quality products. It sounds like the choice to make.

If I don’t have a dedicated sound card and use a pair of Sennheiser’s headsets will my sound experience not be so great?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

HyperX Cloud 2 – super comfortable. Can be used with computer or console.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Suns Dusk.7201

Suns Dusk.7201

Don’t buy a gaming branded headset. Actually don’t buy a headset at all. Instead you should be opting for a pair of headphones that suit you, and a microphone of your choice. Getting something like a Antlion ModMic or a V-Moda BoomPro (if your headphones are compatible) turns your headphones into a normal headset.

If you 100 % insist on getting a gaming branded headset because your level of MLG is too high, you should be looking at Qpad QH-90 or Kingston HyperX Cloud, or the Qpad QH-85. The QH-90 and Cloud are rebranded Takstar Pro 80, while the QH-85 are rebranded Takstar Hi2050 (also open, and my recommendation of these). They are alright headsets for the their price, but you can still do better by getting separate microphone + headphones.

At this price point I don’t think you will need a headphone amplifier, and the built-in soundcard on your motherboard should be good enough.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Amon.3192

Amon.3192

If your two top discriminators are headphone sound quality and microphone quality, do not buy a gaming headset. Get a good pair of stereo headphones and a dedicated external microphone. Gaming headsets are, quite frankly, overpriced for the quality that they provide.

I personally use a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s customized with Brainwavz memory foam earpads to fully enclose the soundstage. My motherboard is one of the MSI gaming series with the onboard Audio Boost. It drives the headphones very well without any distortion. Sound quality is far and away superior to gaming headphones that I have used. I still own a pair of Logitech G35s, but will never go back to them.

Watch the headphone impedance. 32ohms is typical. Less than 32ohms will get you poor sound quality. Higher end headphones come with higher impedance, so if you opt for something like the Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro at 80ohms or 250ohms (another highly recommended option), make sure your audio source can drive it without distortion. If you have a motherboard with a dedicated power supply for the onboard audio, and a decent audio codec, there is no need to use an external sound card or headphone amplifier. Check your hardware documentation. Make sure that your hardware is built with components that minimize signal to noise interference.

For a microphone, there are a number of good external options. I personally use an external condenser microphone, Blue Snowball. It is crystal clear and provides far better sound quality than any gaming headset that I have used.

Finally, a note on surround sound. Games like Guild Wars 2 are encoded to drive 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound if you have the hardware to support it. Adding surround sound will significantly enhance your gaming experience. Three options here: A gaming headset with a licensed hardware codec built in (usually something like Dolby); an external soundcard with a built in hardware codex; or a software codec. Save yourself a lot of money. Get a software codec. You can download Razer Surround for free, and turn your headphones into 7.1 surround.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Jay.3409

Jay.3409

hey! if u havent decided yet, im selling a turtle beach px22 ( all wires included ) cheap price! i’ll include shipping fee aswell!

only inside USA though, heres a link to the headset http://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-ear-force-px22-amplified-universal-gaming-headset-black-blue/8847668.p?id=1218912946720&skuId=8847668&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8847668&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!114560679670!g!!87087652879&kpid=8847668&k_clickid=345ddd1a-6b48-4cd0-bf5b-91a54c2b174b&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=345ddd1a-6b48-4cd0-bf5b-91a54c2b174b&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg14314&ksdevice=c

also i have pics,and every info needed.. just msg me ingame or here..

my current price for this is $35

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EQE0YM?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Turtlebeach X12

Great sound and mic. Even though it’s marketed for xBox, I’ve been using it on my PC for years. I like the fact that I can cut the mic on/off while in-game so I don’t have to worry about setting it up in Teamspeak.

Yuck, Turtle Beach headset have very cheap build quality, stay away from them, they break to easy.

Corsair’s headsets are very good though for their price class, great build quality, great sound.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

i recommend the Astro A40 series as the best all around gaming headset. Very good quality sound and microphone. easy to mute, and the earphones can be touched to balance forward or backward how loud voice coms are compared to game noise. the cloth (rather than faux leather) ear muffs last a long, long time, and the construction is sturdy so if you drop them no problem. They also come with earphone jack and controller adapter so that can be compatible with Xbox 1 controllers.

for pure sound quality like listening to music, Sennheiser’s are top-notch, but I haven’t found many that have the durability to be a daily gaming headset or that have the gamer-type conveniences of Astros. Sennheiser’s are more for the audiophile, i-want-to-hear-every-intricate-detail-of-Tool-playing-live kind of thing.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i got some razer

but more important than the brand you will want a Split cable this will allow you to set your headset as two devices enabling you to setup your mic and headphone speakers to work individually that way you wont get annoying echo or mixed feedback you can get this cables for under 10-5$ probably and they are soo worth it

if your sound still sucks even with that and proper settings then it is your integrated sound and you might need a sound card

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

HyperX Cloud 2 – super comfortable. Can be used with computer or console.

I just got one of these, it rocks. Cheap too. Made like a brick &%#*house as well.

Gaming Headset?

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Make your own, get a decent set of quality cans and attatch an antlion modmic. I did this with a pair of Sennheiser’s. You get twice the quality at half the price

(edited by Indie.4129)