Gaming: Hobby or Addiction?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Why are people calling eachother idiots for having different playstyles? Some like to take it slow, some prefer to level up fast and some will only be seen in PvP. Who cares about the other player playing in a different way? There is no right or wrong about it. And there is also nothing wrong with other people having a different opinion about the game as long as they remain mature and constructive about it. Some people are bored with the game while I am still having a lot of fun. I don’t mind them being bored, it does not impact my ability to play and enjoy the game at all and vice versa. I am sorry if I went a bit too far off topic, but I had to get this off my chest. I see it popping up more often lately that people who play in a different way get called out.

The problem comes if developers listen to the people who are bored early (or, more generally, a different playstyle from you) and think they are representative, and then change the game to suit them.

Furthermore, if they do it with the amount of hyperbole and scorn that would befit a game that was truly crap, as opposed to just not meeting their preferences (a bad habit kids seem to have these days), then you have to put your foot down and point out that that’s exaggerated nonsense.

IOW, you have to fight the corner for your preferred playstyle, so the developers get some real triangulation of the true playerbase’s feelings. (Of course they have other means of figuring it out, but forums are one means.)

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

The problem comes if developers listen to the people who are bored early (or, more generally, a different playstyle from you) and think they are representative, and then change the game to suit them.

Furthermore, if they do it with the amount of hyperbole and scorn that would befit a game that was truly crap, as opposed to just not meeting their preferences (a bad habit kids seem to have these days), then you have to put your foot down and point out that that’s exaggerated nonsense.

IOW, you have to fight the corner for your preferred playstyle, so the developers get some real triangulation of the true playerbase’s feelings. (Of course they have other means of figuring it out, but forums are one means.)

Are you really saying there is an excuse for calling people idiots? I think hyperbole should be pointed out so it loses its value. But hyperbole and pointing it out can both be done without calling people names.

(edited by Esya.3427)

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

BeardRex.6739
People don’t get that they aren’t committed to keep playing through a subscription fee. Attention people: you’re allowed to stop playing for a bit. Play another game. If it takes you a year to get level 80, you got your money’s worth.

Exactly. The thinking should be more along the lines of a single player game: did I get (am I getting) my money’s worth? Considering games of a similar price offer about quarter of the game time one can get from GW2, the answer clear to me at least.

But to answer the question: it’s a hobby for me, but one that has pushed a couple of other hobbies to the side, for now at least.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

It’s only an addiction if you have absolutely nothing else to do with your time. I played WoW pretty hardcore through most of high school; now even though I enjoy this game quite a lot, I simply have other commitments (work, boyfriend.) I don’t have anything over 42.

Though, to be fair, I have pretty serious altoholism.

There’s also other games that I’m interested in playing, but really, it’s not like GW2 is going anywhere and I don’t feel obligated to get my $15 worth because it’s not being paid.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Are you really saying there is an excuse for calling people idiots? I think hyperbole should be pointed out so it loses its value. But hyperbole and pointing it out can both be done without calling people names.

No, but there is an excuse for coming down hard on people sometimes, short of calling them idiots, and calling them idiots can be understood as a counter-productive overreaction in a perfectly legitimate direction.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I’m not an addict. I can stop any time I like.

Posted by: Dark Savior.7589

Dark Savior.7589

Could be either, but where exactly was the suggestion in this post? Isn’t this more of a general discussion item?

Posted by: Birdy.4816

Birdy.4816

Oh yay, another person that thinks because he is leveling slowly hes right and we are wrong.

Just because we are effecient and you are not doesnt mean we are addicted.

Posted by: Gizzox.7491

Gizzox.7491

Judging others playstyle’s absurd. If the game’s out it should be fitting for all types of players. U cannot say “it’s ur own fault if u’re bored with low endgame content, go slow and enjoy”. There are people who play differently and saying there’s no room for such is discriminating. Play the way u like and give those who like to rush it content to rush it. If u run out u’re just unprepeared OBVIOUSLY.
+ that, i have vacation and i play 8h+ per day. U can shut me down for 14days and keep me entertained and i won’t miss it for a sec. it’s not addiction, it’s not watching tv, no chance to go on a job praxis and finishing exams 1st try. simple.

Posted by: direpath.4712

direpath.4712

I play 1-2 hours a night and maybe the occasional stint over the lunch break and I consider myself to be playing a lot. This is in the context of owning a business, plus holding down a full time job, being married, and having 4 kids and other commitments. I enjoy my time gaming. I used to play 6-8 hours a night, longer on weekends, and although I enjoyed it, I was really was not going anywhere in life.

I figure that each of us has to put their own playtime in context. When gaming becomes a problem is not measured by time, but by how you rate your priorities. If I come home and I have half an hour to squeeze in some game time before dinner, and the kids are playing, sometimes I do. I always feel better about playing with the kids though.

To the guy who said he played 16 hours a day though…that’s just sad. I don’t see how one can play that much and not have a problem. That leaves you 8 hours to sleep and work? Crazy.

Personally, I found myself to be lacking in motivation for RL success by my gaming habit. I felt a similar vibe from many that I played with in guild of days gone by. Several of them also worked in a crappy job and just carried on with it. I don’t mean to presume that everyone who games heavily is like that. I also knew several successful business owners that had plenty of play time.

Long story, short…

Question your priorities when it comes to gaming, in comparison to the rest of your life. If there are no other priorities, are you truly happy? If there are, which do you favour more? Gaming is the easy answer. RL is much more rewarding.

Kali Verholme -Ezra Sarona – Sigaard Wolfson – Jumi Sprigleaf
Legacy of Elijah (LoE) – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

I agree – GW2 is much more enjoyable if you don’t play more than 3 hours, which is still a lot (that is most, if not all, of the morning on any given day!), or you live a balanced life. It is casual friendly or hardcore unfriendly.

Also, I notice some people who are bored haven’t done everything in the game like 100% world completion or other stuff, but importantly, they say they don’t enjoy those aspects yet on the same note demand Anet cater to their needs. I think not only should they find something else to do as there are sooo many games one can play nowadays, let alone other hobbies one can pursue, but perhaps, realise GW2 is not for them.

I digress, what really stumps me are people who say they uninstall a game or stop playing it yet in essence waste their time on game forums by “discussing”, well more often trolling, because they are willing to sacrifice time in real life over effectively nothing tangible which could be gained by trolling. It is profoundly tragic.

Back on topic, how do you know if you are addicted?

When you feel you “have to” “achieve” something in the game like grinding for gear in a traditional MMO as oppossed to having fun.

Some people seem to treat, at least try to, MMOs as a “second job” which I think is ridiculous but I genuinely believe it does happen.

I’m not saying grinding gear is not fun, and if it is then do it, but always have fun before the urge to treat MMOs like a job. Having said that, there are some people who literally “force” themselves to do something in an MMO, which importantly they don’t enjoy, or they feel “they have to do it”. This tells me you are addicted and need to reassess your priorities.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

If you have one level 80 or more in the amount of time GW2 has been out then you are addicted and have a problem. You’re playing waaaaaay too much when you should/could be doing other things like exercising and socializing and procreating. You should be bowling, playing golf, intramural sports, bbqing in the backyard. You should be doing a plethora of things not just playing a silly game.

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

If you have one level 80 or more in the amount of time GW2 has been out then you are addicted and have a problem. You’re playing waaaaaay too much when you should/could be doing other things like exercising and socializing and procreating. You should be bowling, playing golf, intramural sports, bbqing in the backyard. You should be doing a plethora of things not just playing a silly game.

As I posted in another thread. Some of us work the night shift. Our leisure time is when everyone else is asleep or at work. Don’t act like everyone is giving up social activities to play a computer game when that simply may not be an option.

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

Following sports; Hobby or Addiction? I think the answer can be synonymous.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

As I posted in another thread. Some of us work the night shift. Our leisure time is when everyone else is asleep or at work. Don’t act like everyone is giving up social activities to play a computer game when that simply may not be an option.

Hey bud I worked the night shift at the post office distribution center and I still had a very active social life without putting all my time into SILLY computer GAMES. You’re addicted or you you have some inferiority complex if you have to or want to play GAMES more than anything else in your life.