Gathering Nerf, Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shofu.5674

Shofu.5674

I Don’t know if anyone has noticed this but if you are in combat when you try to gather you will get ruined materials. It happened twice and I tested a few more times. Ran past a mob got in the middle of gathering got hit. Ended up with 1 good mat and 2 ruined mats.

I do my own stunts.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is not new. It’s caused by certain traits getting activated while you are gathering. Things like Guardian’s Shattered Aegis and Warrior’s Last Stand traits.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

The ONLY time you encounter ruined mats, is when you are using salvaging materials that are LOWER level than what those nodes need, usually in the leveling area (etc 15-25, 25-40). Using a level 10 pickaxe in a 25-40 area with copper nodes could possibly result in ruined materials.

I’ve mined during battle, and I’ve had no ruined materials.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The ONLY time you encounter ruined mats, is when you are using salvaging materials that are LOWER level than what those nodes need, usually in the leveling area (etc 15-25, 25-40). Using a level 10 pickaxe in a 25-40 area with copper nodes could possibly result in ruined materials.

False. As the post directly above you accurately states, a trait triggering an effect while gathering will cause you to harvest ruined materials.

Posted by: Shofu.5674

Shofu.5674

I was gathering on my guardian. A character I don’t usually do the daily on. I would be really upset if Anet decided to make gathering arbitrally harder.

I do my own stunts.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I was gathering on my guardian. A character I don’t usually do the daily on. I would be really upset if Anet decided to make gathering arbitrally harder.

This is not new. The post above regarding this happening sometimes when you get attacked while gathering has been going on for quite some time, probably since the beginning of the game. It doesn’t always happen.

On the other side of things, I’ve tried gathering with lower-tier tools and got good mats with bad. Such as – ruined log, hard wood, ruined log. So perhaps there is a chance to get good/bad mats under certain circumstances.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Hmm I thought like HykCraft that the only thing causing ruined mats was the wrong tool, but I am willing to believe the trait thing, I don’t have guardian and warrior, so can’t really say for sure. But on my ele, ranger, thief, necro and engi I never had a problem gathering while in combat… well aside from getting too much damage and having to defend myself instead.
I find it hard to believe that they would have changed it to be harder to gather stuff.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Never had a problem with this before (using unlimited gathering tools). I would ignore my attacker unless there was danger of being hurt and just gather away, get my stuff then deal with the attack. Never had ruined mats before—after the patch—it happens everytime I ignore the attack—jezz a lone low level shriek can ruin my gathers. As I have said never had this before.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Hmm I thought like HykCraft that the only thing causing ruined mats was the wrong tool, but I am willing to believe the trait thing, I don’t have guardian and warrior, so can’t really say for sure. But on my ele, ranger, thief, necro and engi I never had a problem gathering while in combat… well aside from getting too much damage and having to defend myself instead.
I find it hard to believe that they would have changed it to be harder to gather stuff.

I play only one character that being a lowly UNDERPOWERED Ranger and get ruined mats fairly frequently, although, I don’t know what Ranger trait is causing this, I know without doubt that it’s NOT from using the wrong tool since I am using the permanent gathering tools.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I play only one character that being a lowly UNDERPOWERED Ranger and get ruined mats fairly frequently, although, I don’t know what Ranger trait is causing this, I know without doubt that it’s NOT from using the wrong tool since I am using the permanent gathering tools.

Sounds strange :/ my ranger is also my main and the one I spend the most massive time on, and as such the most often gathering and I still have not experienced it. Must be using different traits.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah.. this is not new.. if you have gear or trait that activate something if you’re attacked, you’ll harvest a ruined ones.

although, i experience this more on my ele and warrior than other characters….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

For ranger traits the only ones that might cause it are Shared Anguish, Hide in Plain Sight and Nature’s Protection.

Which runes are you using?

Posted by: Diabolus Anur Kaya.8379

Diabolus Anur Kaya.8379

Not even close. The OP is correct and this has been happening for a couple of weeks as far as I can tell.

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Not new…. I have the unlimited tools and it happens from time to time always right before, during, or right after combat, I move the tools from char to char and see it on all of them.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

It happened to me many times but I thought I was drunk somehow, so it IS a bug.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

This is NOT new and has been in the game since the start.

If you use the wrong tool, you will get ruined mats.

If you get attacked while using tools, there is a chance you will get ruined mats.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

It’s rare, but I too have seen ruined materials if harvested during combat. Certainly nothing new and definitely not a nerf. Just a touch of realism in an otherwise unrealistic game.

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

This happens when you deal damage by traits or skills while harvesting. e.g. Elementalist Arcane Shield, if you get hit 3 times it explodes dealing damage. Any subsequent harvest after the explosion dealing damage will be ruined.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg