Gathering Nodes For Dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

have others noticed scarcity of gathering nodes associated with dailies ? I am not climing anything as fact but it seems as if nodes that are normally present when that zone is not a part of the gathering daily are less so when it is.

Completely anecdotal, I know, but anyone else seeing this ?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They would have to be removing the nodes and replacing them on multiple maps. Can they even do this without having an update? Since there are nodes, do they go through all the maps, delete some and leave some, then replace them 24 hours later just to do it again on a next set of maps.

Since low levels have different dailies that might mean they would have to do it for another region, if their dailies don’t match the upper levels dailies.

Or maybe they’ve always been kind of scarce but you’ve never noticed because you’ve never had this type of daily before.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Nope, I haven’t noticed any such thing.

Ashen.2907

My wife suggested the possibility that different maps will have different node distribution patterns and that a given zone will have more maps generated due to increased population due to the daily. This could result in being on a map with a different node distribution than I normally see.

Astral Projections.7320

Speaking as someone who has done many, many farm runs, nodes have always been scarce (if they weren’t, the prices on the trading post would be even lower). What makes them currently appear lower is the specificity of the daily. Before, it was harvest all nodes. Now it’s only one type. This means you run past multiple nodes of the wrong types looking for the right type. Running past multiples of the “wrong nodes” makes the nodes you want appear fewer since you get frustrated by all the ones that don’t count.

Ashen.2907

Speaking as someone who has done many, many farm runs, nodes have always been scarce (if they weren’t, the prices on the trading post would be even lower). What makes them currently appear lower is the specificity of the daily. Before, it was harvest all nodes. Now it’s only one type. This means you run past multiple nodes of the wrong types looking for the right type. Running past multiples of the “wrong nodes” makes the nodes you want appear fewer since you get frustrated by all the ones that don’t count.

I am sure that I didnt express it well but more than anything else I meant nodes that seem to always (or nearly so) be in a given location on non daily days not being there when the daily applies to that zone and node.

Astral Projections.7320

I am sure that I didnt express it well but more than anything else I meant nodes that seem to always (or nearly so) be in a given location on non daily days not being there when the daily applies to that zone and node.

I can’t say I’ve noticed it. There is too much variation from day to day and the different levels do get different dailies, which means the maps would be switching out over most, if not all the world on a daily basis.

As a farmer I can say, when I’m looking for one thing, such as soft wood, I often have to make long runs across the landscape to find even one tree. The dailies are like that. The nodes are variable in place from one day to the next and there are long runs to get to them.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Nodes have a pre-set group of locations they can spawn in, and the nodes will change their locations any time a new instance is made. So, the instance you enter one day can very likely not be the same one you enter by the time you’re doing a daily gathering achievement.

Ashen.2907

Nodes have a pre-set group of locations they can spawn in, and the nodes will change their locations any time a new instance is made. So, the instance you enter one day can very likely not be the same one you enter by the time you’re doing a daily gathering achievement.

Yeah, this aligns with what my wife suggested (as described above). Wasnt a complaint, just an observation looking for either corroboration or contradiction.

Thanks.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I just love how you need 10. But, of course, normally you only get 3 per node…. :P

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I just love how you need 10. But, of course, normally you only get 3 per node…. :P

That only really matters for trees as far as the daily is concerned. For forager you can use any of the node patches. For miner there are permanent rich nodes in each region or just use the home instance nodes. For trees krytan/ascalonian is also very easy. Haven’t spent enough time gathering wood in the other regions to think of any good spot for those.

Astral Projections.7320

That only really matters for trees as far as the daily is concerned. For forager you can use any of the node patches. For miner there are permanent rich nodes in each region or just use the home instance nodes. For trees krytan/ascalonian is also very easy. Haven’t spent enough time gathering wood in the other regions to think of any good spot for those.

Forager is the nodes that can be harvested with a sickle. Harvester is axe (trees). Miner is pick (metals).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chest_of_Plants

Posted by: Navazarian.9246

Navazarian.9246

They would have to be removing the nodes and replacing them on multiple maps. Can they even do this without having an update? Since there are nodes, do they go through all the maps, delete some and leave some, then replace them 24 hours later just to do it again on a next set of maps.

Non-Anet programmer here. Technically yes. It is a simple database alteration that is possible to do on the fly, albeit with possibly undesired consequences. It is possible to alter variables and have them reach the player after a simple map reload.

BUT I don’t believe Anet would/are doing this. There really is nothing in it for them to do this.

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

My understanding of nodes is there’s several FIXED locations, these do not change, they’re part of the map data. There seems to be linked clusters, and within these clusters X locations are randomly selected and generated. I know this because I used to run gathering locations for gold when it used to be good money. The amount that spawn does not change. With things like herbs/plants, they absolutely exist in clusters, always. I’m not certain how ore or trees work, the cluster might just be the whole map. If you watch orichalcum spawns, people do this, the same number always spawns. This mechanic was probably reused, why write several bits of code when one does the job?

Khisanth.2948

Forager is the nodes that can be harvested with a sickle. Harvester is axe (trees). Miner is pick (metals).

Not sure what you are trying respond to. Also it’s lumberer as seen in today’s daily.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I tend to find the nodes I expect to in one or two places no matter what the daily is. If they’re not in the first place I think they’ll be they’re almost always in the second.

Nodes are very much like the chests in the Silverwastes. I know every spawn location for those chests, but there’s not always a node in each one of them.

Astral Projections.7320

Not sure what you are trying respond to. Also it’s lumberer as seen in today’s daily.

You said that forager was any of the node patches, which means metal and trees also. I was correcting that remark to say it’s only nodes that can be harvested with a sickle.

“That only really matters for trees as far as the daily is concerned. For forager you can use any of the node patches. For miner there are permanent rich nodes in each region or just use the home instance nodes. For trees krytan/ascalonian is also very easy. Haven’t spent enough time gathering wood in the other regions to think of any good spot for those.”

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

Just use your home instance if you have those nodes, or loot someone that has them

Khisanth.2948

You said that forager was any of the node patches, which means metal and trees also. I was correcting that remark to say it’s only nodes that can be harvested with a sickle.

“That only really matters for trees as far as the daily is concerned. For forager you can use any of the node patches. For miner there are permanent rich nodes in each region or just use the home instance nodes. For trees krytan/ascalonian is also very easy. Haven’t spent enough time gathering wood in the other regions to think of any good spot for those.”

I am not sure how either trees or metal nodes fit the description of a patch.
I was referring to these.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I also wondered about this, so I did a quick and dirty test on Timberline Falls platinum nodes, on a day with Shiverpeaks miner and a day when that task was not up. I ran the same path in about the same amount of time.

While single run-throughs for each type of day, this is hardly conclusive, but here it is: Shiverpeaks Miner day, 93 platinum collected; off day; 78 platinum collected. Most of the difference was that on the miner day i found two rich nodes, yielding 8-10 ore each and on the off day only found one.

Astral Projections.7320

I am not sure how either trees or metal nodes fit the description of a patch.
I was referring to these.

Hmmmm. There are elder wood tree sites in the Orr area with several of them clustered around one spot. But we’ll let it go that you meant plant nodes.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

You can use home instance nodes, too… maybe not your own racial home, but each different region has a home instance that you can use.

Khisanth.2948

Hmmmm. There are elder wood tree sites in the Orr area with several of them clustered around one spot. But we’ll let it go that you meant plant nodes.

“Node farm” would have been more appropriate appropriately applied to those.
There is also the area around Criterion Waypoint in Mount Maelstrom and Gallowfields Waypoint in Brisban Wildlands.

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

You can use home instance nodes, too… maybe not your own racial home, but each different region has a home instance that you can use.

Let me correct this.

If you have nodes unlocked for your account you can use each and every racial home instance to farm the nodes for the daily once per day no matter what your racial city is.

This might sound strange so let me spell it out. For today’s daily they had Maguuma Jungle Lumberer, I logged into my Asuran character, which has the permanent tools equipped. I then was able to goto the Grove and into the Sylvari racial home instance and chop down the trees that I have currently unlocked on my account once per day. This is not well known, for some reason people think you need to match the race to the home instance to the daily in order for it to work, you only need to match the daily to the location of the home, race is not a factor. Please pass on what you have learned today.