Gathering tools shared slots

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Durak.1358

Max Durak.1358

Please let it be available by default, with mastery or 1000 gems per each in the gem store, i dont honestly care, i will buy it straight away. But please, we need those.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Shared inventory slots are already available in the gem store and gathering tools already can be placed in them.

If you have any of the old soulbound infinite gathering tools you can speak to one of the Black Lion NPCs (armoursmith I think) to make them account bound so they can go in there.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Please let it be available by default, with mastery or 1000 gems per each in the gem store, i dont honestly care, i will buy it straight away.

Yes, would be a nice. But I would not pay 3000 gems for it.

Shared inventory slots are already available in the gem store and gathering tools already can be placed in them.

It would be more convenient if they could be used when they are in a shared-slot.

Posted by: Sombrero.9204

Sombrero.9204

They should simply be possible to demultiply just like achievements points rewards work (Zenith skins etc). I mean you already pay a crapton of gem for the item. It’s really silly that you can’t even use that item with all your character when the game is soooo heavily pushing you to play an account and not only one character (at this point pretty much everything is account bound almost).

I mean yeah they want money but seriously, you don’t need to be that greedy. You can make poney flashy wings everybody will buy them you don’t need to ruin the comfort of play.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

This has been requested for a long time, and it would be very nice to have 3 “account -wide gathering tool slots”. But I think ArenaNet’s answer to this is shared inventory slots.
And it’s pretty simple to do. Just put one of each type of infinite gather tool into a shared inventory slot. Then keep regular gather tools on all your characters.(I’d use orichalcum or whatever is the highest tool that character can use) When you log into a character, make a habit of clicking in each of the infinite tools in the shared inventory slots, then verify that the regular tools are now showing. Now you’re good to gather. Then before you log out of each character, click on each of the regular tools in the shared inventory slots, and make sure that the infinite tools are showing, Now log out and they will be available for the next character. It comes down to making a habit of swapping tools each time you log in and log out. And you’ll probably mess up sometimes and waste a few charges on the regular tools, or leave them on a character that you’ve logged out of. But it’s a simple thing to fix. And if you equip high-tier regular tools on each character, it won’t matter much if you do make a mistake and end up with the regular tools for a while. I used to do this with gather tools in the bank, and shared inventory slots makes the process much easier.

Posted by: Max Durak.1358

Max Durak.1358

The problem is, very often i just forget which one of my 9 characters has specific gathering tool on them so i have to go through all of them, unequip tool, move it to shared slot, switch character, equip, rinse and repeat. It’s just so annoying especially in the game with so many QoL features in it.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

If I log into the last one played and I don’t feel like playing that one today then I move the tools over to the shared slots, of which I save 3 empty just for that. Then I log into the char I do want to play and then double click to have them appear right where they can be used. Takes just a minute or so to do.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’d be nice, but then they’d have to deal with the “Omg I bought 26 sets of tools, I demand a refund!” thing that will inevitably occur.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

It would be more convenient if they could be used when they are in a shared-slot.

True, but I am already doing that with salvage things, and I go through them A LOT! So much so that I finally bought the infinite salvage kits.

So, I’m thinking even ANet will profit from this idea. But, it has to be somewhat expensive. If they were too cheap, it would undercut their other sales of some items.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The problem is, very often i just forget which one of my 9 characters has specific gathering tool on them so i have to go through all of them, unequip tool, move it to shared slot, switch character, equip, rinse and repeat. It’s just so annoying especially in the game with so many QoL features in it.

Occasionally I forget where my gathering tools are (and other items). I use gw2efficiency.com to look for things. It has a search feature.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

But you can’t use them from there, so it isn’t a convenient “solution” at all.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

OR, just make them work from inventory instead of having to be equipped. Boom, put them into shared slots and leave them there forever.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I find putting my only set of infinite gathering tools into a shared slot enormously more convenient than either:

1. Clogging each character’s inventory with up to 11 slots worth of gathering tools.
  2. Purchasing multiple infinite tools.

Posted by: ShinChuck.9805

ShinChuck.9805

I find putting my only set of infinite gathering tools into a shared slot enormously more convenient than either:

1. Clogging each character’s inventory with up to 11 slots worth of gathering tools.

Right, but I think the topic’s point is that it would be undeniably more convenient to have account-wide shared slots for gathering tools; i.e., put an unbreakable tool in the mining slot, and everyone has immediate, permanent access to it as if it was in their normal mining slot on their Hero page.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Right, but I think the topic’s point is that it would be undeniably more convenient to have account-wide shared slots for gathering tools; i.e., put an unbreakable tool in the mining slot, and everyone has immediate, permanent access to it as if it was in their normal mining slot on their Hero page.

Then the problem you will run into is those that buy multiple different sets on purpose just so they can match the set with the char. Are you then going to have separate tool slots for those that want multiple different ones and those that want just one set to share?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Luckily I’m still from the time perma tools costed 800 gems and were character bound…

I have little to gain by special slots, having 12 full sets of tools…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: ShinChuck.9805

ShinChuck.9805

Then the problem you will run into is those that buy multiple different sets on purpose just so they can match the set with the char. Are you then going to have separate tool slots for those that want multiple different ones and those that want just one set to share?

Sure, that would be one of a few options: have account-wide slots in conjunction with the normal slots as they exist right now (individual to each character), and have the normal slots take priority over the account-wide slots if they’re filled.

A more simple approach quite common among other MMOs (WoW, Rift, TSW, et cetera) is to allow each character to produce a copy of the account-wide item. In Warcraft, you open the Collections window, and in TSW, you open the “Delivered Items” window. From there, you can claim a duplicate of any purchased account-wide items for the character you’re on.

ArenaNet could make it even easier by adding a “Gathering Tools” menu alongside Gliders/Miniatures/Outfits/et cetera, and allow you to choose per character from there.

I don’t think it’s something ArenaNet needs to rack their brains over, because quite a few games already have systems in place that can (or could, in GW2’s case) accommodate account-wide items while still giving the user the choice to use what they want per character.

(edited by ShinChuck.9805)

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

I don’t think it would be totally unfair if it worked as follows:

Buying any infinite gathering tool comes with one consumable item, similar to a “bag slot expansion” that you can consume on any character of your choice.

The “Gathering slot expansion” allows you to use any infinite tool skin you have unlocked on your account. It also allows you to choose one “enrichment” that has been previously mentioned on this threads, such as Sprockets or UM.

This wouldn’t discourage sales of gathering tools, because the slots will only unlock on one character of your choice, per tool set, and it solves the annoying issues of not being able to choose the skins you find aesthetically pleasing because they don’t provide the gathering bonus.

I think this would be an amazing change and it would actually probably promote sales of more infinite gathering tools so it’s a win for Anet.