Gear up with bug spray!

Gear up with bug spray!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

I’m amazed this unpleasant thread hasn’t been locked yet, since it serves no useful purpose and is largely being used to insult people.

Certain elements of this community are more elitist and rude than anything I’ve seen on WoW.

I haven’t seen a single “hardcore” player calling people noobs and telling them they have no right to speak. I have seen many posts from certain self-proclaimed casual players calling others locusts and telling them they have no life, must be unemployed and have no right to an opinion about the game.

You cannot have a meaningful discussion if you keep referring to people as insects and rudely dismissing them.

I disagree. It serves to enlighten some of us who are unaware of the complex dynamics a community plays in shaping their game. More so, the vocal and the hardcore ones. The idea suggested by the article is very interesting, and if it is offending, there must be a reason why. And the reference to locusts, I’d guess, is due to a locust’s nature to hop on to brazenly eat a location’s food source dry. That’s, imo, a rather objective definition of what the article says. If it should offend you or some other people, part of me wants to say grow some balls, while part of me wants you to speak up and argue against it from a different perspective, providing good arguments of course.

Thanks! I had wanted to say something similar about how some people get huffy over the term “content locusts”. I find it a very apt and accurate term, describing exactly the what’s-up in just one simple compound word. I guess what the people who are offended at the term need to do is realize that the content locusts aren’t actually being called insects, just their actions are being compared to the actions of a member of the Acrididae family.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

That article was a good summary of what I thought guild wars 2 was already designed to combat.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Thanks! I had wanted to say something similar about how some people get huffy over the term “content locusts”. I find it a very apt and accurate term, describing exactly the what’s-up in just one simple compound word. I guess what the people who are offended at the term need to do is realize that the content locusts aren’t actually being called insects, just their actions are being compared to the actions of a member of the Acrididae family.

Lets not joke each other, the author clearly holds hatered against these people.

Content locusts is not the proper definition, the definition should be “power players”. Locusts are numerous and if he says they are 1% then that is not locusts. Power players don’t play for the content, they play for the power. The goal outweights the means is their motto. They level with the goal to be wealthy and powerful and their opinion carries weight with the MMO Company because very often they are leaders and officers of top guilds.

(edited by beren.6048)

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Locusts are numerous and if he says they are 1% then that is not locusts.

It’s an apt description of their behavior though. They come, they consume everything they can, then they move on, leaving empty fields behind them.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Content Locust: How They Change The MMO Gaming Landscape

Someone was kind enough to post it already so I’m going to re-post it in it’s own topic for everyone to see. This kind of information is too valuable to go unnoticed.

We, as a community of Guild Wars 2, need to make sure that these locust don’t further try to drag our beautiful and wonderful world that ArenaNet created, in a direction we don’t want it to go.

Let us be more of a presence in the forums, GuildWars2Guru, Reddit, etc. etc.

Most common fear with this new added tier, to “close the gap” between exotic and legendary gear, will lead to more higher gear stats in the future; leading to a treadmill.

We have the ability to let them know we don’t want it to go in that direction. With the new content The Lost Shores, we can draw the line.

Quite funny when people like you start with name-calling when someone have a different view of a game than you have. To be fair it´s people like you that ruins the game for people that enjoy it. Get the kitten of your high-horse. Just because you played GW1 or whatever doesnt make you any better or more special than the next player. =)

^Agree. Everyone that buys this game has the same right to input/opinion, regardless if it’s different from yours. Now if you paid $500 a copy for your game code, then sure, but I’m pretty sure we all pretty much paid the same money.

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: CaptainVenus.5179

CaptainVenus.5179

Fantastic article, hats off to the author. By far the best description of the minority of self absorbed ‘elitists’ that plague online games, and the main reason I personally quit WoW after TBC was released.

I had high hopes for GW2, and have certainly got my moneys worth in enjoyment so thanks Anet, because the last 3 months have been super fun!

I won’t be asking for a refund, because that in my eyes is like having your cake and eating it. I have really enjoyed the content thus far, which has been as time served as any out of the box single player game of similar retail price.

On the flip side, I will not be hanging around while Anet jump on the bandwagon with more popular MMO’s by introducing the innevitable powercreep, to keep the elitists elite and feeling superior and special.

To me it just seems like a hit and run, buying the dedicated GW1 playerbase with promises for sales at release, only to later drop them in search of a wider market.

TLDR: Great article, Bad Anet.

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

tl;dr

In response to OP article.
With the release of the Lost Shores content i was fearing that Anet put more priority on pleasing the already-bored-lvl80 players instead of the group of players that are fed up with all the bugs and broken things in this game.

The important question is, how big is each of these 2 groups.

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: judgement.9842

judgement.9842

I am going to be doing as the OP stated and continue playing but not giving cash for gems. I did original intend to pay 8.50 a month for gem to help fund new patches.etc, but not anymore.

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: chasingfuries.9635

chasingfuries.9635

so, since i voiced that i was afraid the game was lacking in things to keep people playing at level cap, I’m now a mindless content devouring insect that should’t be taken seriously? lol, this is an idiotic thread and you people are trolls.

anyways, the problem isn’t the so called “locust”, the problem is anet only, and the fact that they just failed in trying to make more players happy.

Gear up with bug spray!

beren.6048

Locusts are numerous and if he says they are 1% then that is not locusts.

It’s an apt description of their behavior though. They come, they consume everything they can, then they move on, leaving empty fields behind them.

The description is not so great, but hey that’s IMO. You see they do things to achieve power with total disregard for lore or content and many times they are the ones who close the light when the party is over. They don’t move on like locusts, that is the point. If their is power play then they ll stay until there is only 1 guild / alliance left on the server and all casuals or dedicated players have jumped ship unable to compete with the “pros” in the gear grind.

In short:
1. they don’t even consume 10% of the content and try to take short cuts to positions of power, locusts would consume everything.
2. they don’t leave, they stay as long as their is some group of casuals or dedicates to overpower
3. he says 1% I say 30% of MMOers is like that (if not more)

That said, I don’t dislike the pros, the casuals, or the people who go through all content. Comparing people with insects is only to show hatred for the other play styles.

Perhaps they should have made the content a bit more difficult.

(edited by beren.6048)

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: Oluerim.7256

Oluerim.7256

All these speeches are good but only turn around using proper words or not.
The big thing is Anet spoil their game to fit with the player minority that play the game the less fairly way.
That really show how much Anet cares fot their respectful fans.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Gear up with bug spray!

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

2. they don’t leave, they stay as long as their is some group of casuals or dedicates to overpower

I have never, ever seen the player type in question behave that way. Not once, in over a decade. The pattern has always been:

- Come in, rush to cap.
- Complain that there’s nothing to do.
- Leave for another game.

Always.

Players who stick with an MMO long-term are invariably invested in the community, not the gameplay.

Gear up with bug spray!

beren.6048

Ok lets leave it at that. If Anet really goes down the slippery road of gear grind then they don’t do it because the power players or the rush players are so vocal. They do it because it is the easiest way to keep people wanting for more (easiest, not the best). Either your content is hard to get or your content is a lot.

(edited by beren.6048)