Gem Cards (Retail)

Gem Cards (Retail)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

I found out today that Target (US) no longer carries gem cards. I doubt anyone from ArenaNet can comment on this, but if they could I would be curious as to why. As far as I know, Best Buy still carries $15 and $25 cards. Thanks!

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve seen reports over and over again that Target no longer carries the gem cards; they have never been accurate. What has happened in the past is that the store is temporarily out and hasn’t any on order. When the clerk goes to check, they see ‘0’ in inventory and ‘0’ on order and they tell the customer they don’t carry it anymore.

The problem is that Target doesn’t sell many. As a result, it doesn’t make sense for them to order many, let alone stock up. So the computers will mislead the clerks.

I’m not sure the best way to check if Target really doesn’t carry them (since even the website has the same issue), aside from calling them and asking to be escalated until you find someone who knows what’s going on. Or finding one of those too-clever-for-their-job employees who knows how to order stuff that’s not on the menu.

tl;dr Target is probably still carrying them, just (alas) not your store or at least, not today. Probably.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gem Cards (Retail)

trailofsalt.6571

You could be right. However, there was a pile only a few days ago and they completely moved around the game card display. There is no longer a sales tag for them either. I guess it could be that it’s just the stores in my area (I checked 4 within 25 miles.)

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

ArenaNet wouldn’t know, anyway. It’s up to the Regional Sales purchasing department of Target to decide what stores will carry. This will vary by region.

You can ask the Sales Associate to call other stores rather than driving around; though, as stated above, it’s usually a regional decision. You can ask to speak to the Team Lead on Call, and ask them to stock the item, as well.

You can order them online from Best Buy. It’s pretty good, as the shipping is free, and they usually arrive the next day.

(Target employee.)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Wow lol for the first time in roughly 3-4 years I came across an EB games that sold $20 Gw2 gem cards about 1 month ago. Every other time I went to EB Games/Game Traders Kmart, Target etc they either don’t have them or “aren’t stocking them in anymore”.

I was so happy to be able to pick up 5 of them because in-game would’ve costed me ~$140 AUD.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I can also corroborate what trailofsalt has observed: In several of my local Target’s, not only have the cards disappeared but there is no longer a stock location or tag for them. They are truly gone from my local stores.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

Check out Wal-Mart. Both of my local ones carry the $25 cards

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They’ve been gone from the Targets I’ve checked as well for quite some time. (Omaha, Nebraska area.)

Wal Mart carries the $25 ones, and GameStop carries the $15 ones, so that’s where I’ve been getting them. Still, it’s potential money lost for ANet if a major retailer has stopped carrying GW2 gem cards (and likely will not sell the expansion as well). Maybe they want to have someone call around and look into this.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

(edited by Palador.2170)

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I haven’t been able to find cards in Canada for years now. As for Target, they have failed in Canada and closed up shop.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I can also corroborate what trailofsalt has observed: In several of my local Target’s, not only have the cards disappeared but there is no longer a stock location or tag for them. They are truly gone from my local stores.

They’re gone from ALL my Target stores around me as well (I have about 7 stores in a 10 mile radius from me, Southern California).

Fortunately, my two local Game Stops still carry them.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

In the Phoenix, Arizona area, I haven’t seen them in a Target or Walmart for quite a long time, at least a year I’d say. I get mine at Best Buy consistently.

Which is too bad, Target sometimes sold the $25 cards for $20.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Mogsterfortytwo.6712

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

They’ve disappeared from the UK too, as far as I can tell. The £10 ones shortly after Christmas as far as I remember, with the £20 versions in the last couple of months.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

If you have a Best Buy they still sell them, in fact if you want you can order online and they ship them to you for free. I had Best Buy bonus dollars ($5.00) so it was actually cheaper through them than buying through the game. Got 2 $25.00 cards for $49 dollars and some change.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Gem Cards (Retail)

trailofsalt.6571

Thanks for all of the feedback! I live in an area that fortunately has a lot of other options to pick from in regards to buying gem cards. I like using them over a credit card.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Thanks for all of the feedback! I live in an area that fortunately has a lot of other options to pick from in regards to buying gem cards. I like using them over a credit card.

Same here. It’s a lot easier to control gem store impulse buying with cash.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Gem Cards (Retail)

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

From New York, both Wal Marts in the area used to sell the 25$ gem cards, and they were always on the shelves… Since sometime in mid-late 2016 I haven’t seen a single one at either Wal Mart.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)