Gem Store Content VS Game Content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

The ACTUAL game needs to grow, not just the store. When the game grows it draws the players in and gives them something to do. The game needs to have new content and features to make the players want to invest into the game. Players need to want to invest time into the game before they will want to invest money.

There are plenty of opportunities that could be taken to expand the game as far as features go that could also bring in revenue for Anet. I will list two.

Player Housing
This is a feature players have been wanting forever and only makes sense. Your personal instance is worthless and unvisited. We are “heros” why are we so homeless? Adding this feature would open an opportunity to collect furniture such as the paintings you see throughout the game and weapon or armor racks to display your favorite gear skins. “Art packs” could be purchased in the gem store that offers random paintings and lets the GW2 concept artists have their work a little more appreciated. Additional upgrades to the player house could be purchased too such as more armor or weapon racks.

Trait-Build Save
Even this feature could create revenue for Anet. With as deep as the trait system can be it is difficult to remember your build for every situation (general PvE, Fractles, Dungeons[individual basis for some], per weapon set, etc…). Giving the players 2 or three slots (depending on how the saved PvP build would be handled) would save players the headache of alt+tabing to third party resources for build saves and give Anet the opportunity to sell more slots in the gem store.

People would eat this stuff up! And these are only 2 of my ideas. Other people I’m sure have many more. The point is that Anet needs to start making money in ways that can make the game grow or bring in new needed features and spend less resources on hats and llama finishers – with all due respect!

(edited by Bolthar.7192)

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

China Market > Player Housing + Trait Build Save combined.
When the China release is complete, and the massive funds start to flow, then perhaps we’ll see more ‘serious’ Game Content.

Posted by: Shizlam.4310

Shizlam.4310

Seriously, stop wasting money on crap completely unrelevant to the lore and history of guild wars and start giving us something that we really want. Also you better hurry cause well wildstar with their housing feature + the combaat system will probably steal part of the GW2 community, i mean i have been playing their open beta and the game (even though its quests and thingies are boring) looks pretty great and i just won’t play it casue of the subscription.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

well more Lawless craps and kiddie hats just in gem store now

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Seriously, stop wasting money on crap completely unrelevant to the lore and history of guild wars and start giving us something that we really want. Also you better hurry cause well wildstar with their housing feature + the combaat system will probably steal part of the GW2 community, i mean i have been playing their open beta and the game (even though its quests and thingies are boring) looks pretty great and i just won’t play it casue of the subscription.

Or just let people just pay for the content in stead of for cash-shop items. Throw all those items in the game.. making it game-play and release expansions to generate income.

There are indeed a few other mmo’s releasing soon (or have been released). One I am not even allowed to mention as I am then ‘derailing the thread’. So it seems that they are very much aware of those games. However for Anet to consider it a thread it needs to be F2P or B2P needs to have a living world creating much what Anet promised (so something like a sandpark where people change the world) and need to be focusing on more ‘casual’ gaming. And then I do not mean casual as ’ only plays a few hours’ but people who care about skins, housing, mounts and so on.

Then again, most of the games that are getting releases their own problems. Grindy (even more then GW2), of subscription or simply a complete different audience.

About the Wildstar example. People who switch because they are unhappy with the road GW2 took you should understand that both games are from Ncsoft. So as far as steering towards getting more income vs create a good game and get money that way it will likely be the same.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Slaving off a couple of art types to crank out an armor set they sell off 2 parts at a time is a minor allocation of resources. Bringing back old items or putting items on sale takes virtually no allocation of resources.

So ask yourself, what are they spending their 300 person team on during this interlude? And it’s not all or even mostly China (I estimate at this point, maybe 20%). It’s getting the groundwork laid out for the next round of the LS. It’s the same how comic artists get a couple a week buffer done in case life or artist block crops up. If they are going back to their 4 teams, 2 week schedule then new common critters need to be created, new changes to existing zones or (gasp) a new zone. Maybe they are working on several iterations of Lion’s Arch being rebuilt.

Regardless, a staff that size isn’t sitting on their hands and they aren’t all off in China and they aren’t all doing tchotchkes for the Gem Shop. That leaves content development. Have some faith.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes