Gem Store Sales Worst I've ever seen!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It wasn’t bad for me. I got several utility items and skins I didn’t have previously. Spent around $30 on gems and used them all.

To be fair, I am a bit of a latecomer ($10 sale last March) and I’m certain that the stuff I got, many of you got long ago.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You might not have gotten what you wanted but all you need to do is look at the spike in the exchange rate for the duration of the sale to see that there were things a lot of players wanted. From the time the Gem Store Account Bundle kits went on sale the 18th (yes it was a few days before the sale to it’s peak, the exchange rate grew by 73%!! That’s a lot of gold flowing in for gems. And since it’s now down 23% from that peak shows a lot of gems, more than likely cash bought, being converted to gold. We may not be able to see cash bought gems being used in the store itself but we can see it in how the exchange rate is being pushed down.

I would say it was successful. It just didn’t have whatever you wanted.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

It drives the legendary market up as well!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

The 21 day long sale was worse than Amazon’s Prime Day. Anet what are you thinking? How about some old school skins back from the first few months of the game? Instead of all this stuff that’s been released within the last 6 months, I mean c’mon. Is that really too much to ask? I have no doubts that if you were to throw the Wide Rim Glasses back up, or the ANET Ball Cap or even the Bunny Ears… You’d probably find yourself with enough money to fund your entire expansion extravaganza.

While I agree, one has to give them credit for listening to player feedback, which went up and down the forums:

• Less skins in gem store.
  • More skins obtainable ingame.

We didn’t like the specific way they were added back ingame, but they’re listening to the general idea.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Niko Stark.8932

Niko Stark.8932

The transmutation stone and Pet Rock to conclude the sale does sum up this entire thing…it’s a big joke. Sell the ears and glasses for 500 gems or even 800 gems each and people would gladly buy it. Hell, make it a 12-hour event only…

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I enjoy my pet rock as a gift from a friend, even if i bought it for her first, lol. with the charges on sale, i bought the account bump pack since it was cheaper too, mostly to try my luck on keys and dyes since it was cheap. Mostly while i wish for a couple items my self, for the most part, I was ok with this sale, as i manage to pick us some nice things.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I’d really like to meet the person who selected these items and shake their hand.

They are truly a Master of Disaster. <3

Haha this made me smile on a miserable monday morning so thanks for that.

I had a lot of gems from pre-HoT purchase and i used them all during sale.
Yes they were hits and misses, i really wanted the royal pass back but that didn’t happen.
So overall it was ok but could’ve been so much better

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t call it the worse sale I’ve ever seen. I would call it something much worse. It was uninspired. The choices offered were more utilitarian than interesting and they seemingly deliberately refused to sell the items that would have brought in much more money than a resale of a pet rock. It’s like a store advertising a big sale, and they have socks and underwear discounted as their big sale to pull customers in.

If ANet was your Internet, you’d be getting the message: Searching for signal. ANet has failed to connect with it’s customers.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Kinda have to agree. I was waiting for the avian mini pack to show up. The Raven, Owl, and Hawk mini pets. I don’t even know why this mini pack is even temporary in the first place. It really just doesn’t make sense how they have this thing set up. Does ANet -not- want money?

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: Rivindor.7258

Rivindor.7258

What’s with the bunny ear hype? Is this a running joke on the forums about people wanting silly stuff or is the bunny ear hype real? I’m a bit confused. I can’t imagine it’d look too good on most characters unless there is some desire on roleplay servers to do a hugh hefner roleplay but even then how can anet make too much money off this(vocal) but I’m guessing small subsection of players?

If there is a legitimate demand, why would it be released on the anniversary sale versus say, Easter?

Posted by: Realizer.6120

Realizer.6120

You can’t judge the quality, or success of the sale by the exchange rate, many players stocked up on gems or gold during the event to take advantage. Many players also stocked up before, and their gems are still sitting waiting to get used, because the things they stocked up for didn’t make the sale. What you can judge is the feedback.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What’s with the bunny ear hype? Is this a running joke on the forums about people wanting silly stuff or is the bunny ear hype real? I’m a bit confused. I can’t imagine it’d look too good on most characters unless there is some desire on roleplay servers to do a hugh hefner roleplay but even then how can anet make too much money off this(vocal) but I’m guessing small subsection of players?

If there is a legitimate demand, why would it be released on the anniversary sale versus say, Easter?

There is a long running thread where people post about what they want in the gemstore. One of the most frequent posts Is for the bunny ears. Almost a year ago, Gaile posted on it. Acknowledged all the requests for that item. Implied she would speak to the people who were in charge of gemstore selling. Months passed. Easter came and went. And no bunny ears.

Gaile Gray.6029:
I don’t know for sure that it will happen, but I’ve seen items come through from time to time. I agree with you that this is a particularly cute item. Keep your eye on the store and maybe they will make a reappearance!

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

I personally don’t care for the bunny ears, but for me they are a perfect example of whats wrong with the gemshop.

First, bunny ears were already available until december 2013: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bunny_Ears

During this sale anet gave us again the SAME stuff we always get. The problem is, that on the forums are alot people asking for the same stuff again and again. For example the everlasting mining picks or these wings or costumes. People sometimes even ask for this stuff to return on the next day afer they were available…

Most veterans have all these items, because they could get them like a billion times.
On the other side there are gemshop only items which didn’ return to gemstore since 2-3 years and thats sad!
Example are the fused weapons (were BL chest only with rng), the 2012 winterminipets, the baseball cap, bunny ears, different “townclothes”, the boxing cuffs (sry don’t remember the name) and there are some dozen more of these items.

There is no reason why these haven’t been rereleased and instead that we got like a hundert times rox,braham,kasemeet,majory weapons…

So in my opinion there is not only a minority that really wants bunny ears, furthermore I think there is a majority which wants to buy the old gemshop only items again. (Instead of the same stuff again and again like during this sale…)

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Haha I wonder about this as well, I think it’s nothing short of hideous. Putting bunny ears on even the most awesome looking armour combination just instantly makes it look like some tacky anime knockoff, kinda like the quaggan backpack really. Somebody call the fashion police. :P

Then again, I think more choice is always better so it should be available at least periodically, say during easter or something.

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

Gotta agree.
I wanted armor skins. Armors are always better than outfits because they let players get creative and mix them up.
Stuff like a bunch of bank access items were just insulting.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

I didn’t see all 21 days of it, only the last 10 days.

Did buy the 5 keys and a pack that contained 30 dyes and 10 more key plus a few other things. Missed out on the pet rock as got that the day before it went on sale.

But it was a sale, if a high street shop had a sale do you think they would discount the best stuff? Well they might on one or two items but that’s just to draw people in.

So I really don’t see what the complaints about, they offered a sale and you got a sale. What was in the sale might not be to your liking but that’s sales for you.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

I was happy. Black wings and several outfits. They did well by me and others in my guild.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

The Guild Wars 2 ball cap was a launch/beta item that you HAD to be there for. It never belongs in the cash shop. People QQ over everything they missed out on in this game from the past. Sure have it all, but not the ball cap ever. That’s 1 item you were not there for then too bad you don’t get it.
Perhaps ANET is simply respecting their older player base in this game. Unlike GW1 where they let all newcomers have all of the old festival hats and upset alot of their older player base and made note of it. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

(edited by Tasida.4085)

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

The Guild Wars 2 ball cap was a launch/beta item that you HAD to be there for. It never belongs in the cash shop. People QQ over everything they missed out on in this game from the past. Have it all but not the ball cap ever. That’s 1 item you were not there for then too bad you don’t get it. GAME ON

There are dozens of items from the first gw2 year which never have been reintroduced.

PS: About the baseball cap. Yeah, didn’t recall that I got it basically as an alpha/beta tester / prepurchase / launch reward. That was a really bad example, because it should clearly stay exklusive for us veterans^^

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

TJgalon.5012

I swear I seen more want for wings over the bunny ears, and we did get both White and Black wings.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I got the Whump the Giant finisher at a super cheap price.

Earlier I got the chickenado finisher and I stocked up on keys at the reduced price hoping that HoT will put new goodies in BL chests.

I already had the Minipets, but priced at 80 gems I would have snatched them all up.

So, by the standards of a Steam sale this kinda sucked, but there have been one decent deals going.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The Guild Wars 2 ball cap was a launch/beta item that you HAD to be there for. It never belongs in the cash shop. People QQ over everything they missed out on in this game from the past. Sure have it all, but not the ball cap ever. That’s 1 item you were not there for then too bad you don’t get it.
Perhaps ANET is simply respecting their older player base in this game. Unlike GW1 where they let all newcomers have all of the old festival hats and upset alot of their older player base and made note of it. GAME ON

The celebration hat was originally for sale in the gem store for 0 gems.
Yes, it was meant for players who were there at launch, but it was a gem store item.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Some days were great, mainly in the beginning. But this last week was just a lot of disappointment. I mean character slots going on sale would’ve been a major major boon, along with helping to push people to make more characters and potentially spend more money on cosmetics and items for HoT. I did like the bag slit sales buuuttt….well other than some GS skins I wasn’t impressed. I was happy though I took advantage of the black lion key sales, as I got nearly 4 tickets out of it, but well…..that’s just me and was completely luck based.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I got a watchwork mining pick for 500 gems…. pretty happy with that. Picked up the rock too, its so stupidly adorable tht for 80 gems or whatever sure why not. Was hoping for my chainsaw sword skin but hey…. mining pick and it seems sprokets are up in value too.

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

The celebration hat was originally for sale in the gem store for 0 gems.
Yes, it was meant for players who were there at launch, but it was a gem store item.

Yes m8 I remember, I was there (the cap and Polla) etc all free. I’m simply stating that it should never be put back because you literally HAD to be there to get it and it should stay that way. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

(edited by Tasida.4085)

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

As ever in the store, just nothing worth the money. in a game that has got very boring I really don’t understand the empty store, it’s as if they aren’t even trying to make their customers happy.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well… looking at the gold to gem ratio I would say that there were plenty of items people wanted to buy on the sale.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I dunno maybe for long time players this sale was lame. As a new player I picked up a lot of stuff during the sale. Yeah maybe it wasn’t uber rare stuff that a long term player would be interested in but considering the amount of new players coming in, a sale on what might be considered common and mundane stuff for vets seemed like quite a decent sale to new players like me who had really nothing to start with.

I don’t think it was that bad of a sale. Picked up a couple outfits which will help me look better while leveling characters, account booster thing and some storage space expansions was great, I picked up that stupid rock because it was cheap and looked super lame which I like…. the boosters are pretty good for a new account since I got some dyes that really helped customization…

Trying to think of what else I picked up. Oh, a finisher, was definitely necessary imo.

So yeah. Maybe this was a sale directed right at new accounts. If it wasn’t it turned out to be a pretty good sale for accounts that had nothing to begin with. I have to assume that was the main focus of the sale too…

Ill be honest, a lot of the stuff I see the long term players begging for…doesn’t appeal to me, maybe a few years of playing the game and all of a sudden ill want bunny ears (not likely)

The only thing I regret was not snagging any permanent salvager or resource tools, guess I didn’t realize how handy those are…Next time I will though.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Well… looking at the gold to gem ratio I would say that there were plenty of items people wanted to buy on the sale.

It would be interesting to see how much of those gems where actually used on the sale. There are a number of reasons ranging from anticipation to manipulation on why those prices have gone up. While I don’t disagree that the ratio went up due to people wanting stuff, however there are other variables involved that doesn’t paint the entire picture.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

My theory is a lot of people bought gems in anticipation of good things being on sale, which is why the gold to gem ratio is so high… I bet there are a TON of people just sittin on gems waitin for bank/bag/char slots to go on sale, plus a few of the obvious skins that were deliberately held back from the sale. really they have no choice but to sit on them now, cuz its gonna be a while till they put those items on sale. Cuz who would be dumb enuff to reconvert the gems back to gold at a 50% loss….?

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I bought few items with gold on the sale, but yea most of the items were really bad. Like boosters. and inventory, bank npc.. common nobody uses that.

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

Came to voice my opinion on the sale.

The first 10 days were good. But after that, it just dropped off. I was hoping the sale would end with a bang but it fizzled out much more worse then I imagined.

This was the first time in recent memory I was considering buying gems in bulk for a sale. I won’t plan for that in the future.

As with a lot of things with this game, I love it and sometimes what we get is great. And then there are other times where you just scratch your head and wonder what in Tyria went wrong?

Oh well. Now I can use the Gem Store normally again and spend what little Gems I have left without worrying about missing out.

I also won’t expect another “sale” until HoT is released.

TJgalon.5012

well with the gems, i watched it jump up and down each day. people must buy the gems to want something each sale day while at the same time, other are trying to make some extra gold. Yes, it hard to say without real numbers to do the math with, but going up almost 50g for 400 seem like a jump to me, even if maybe said people did not get what they want, other did.