Gem Store purchases increase Magic Find

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evindor.1780

Evindor.1780

I am extremely unlucky in this game in terms of drop. Everything I put in the Mystic Toilet returns nothing but crap. Chests from world bosses, dungeons and fractals contain blues, greens and maybe a yellow.

Interestingly enough some people around me bought the Molten Alliance Mining Pick and those people, after said purchase, actually got precursors. Do I dare say that ‘significant’ purchases in the Gem Store have a hidden effect on Magic Find?

Yes, I dare. Discuss!

“Shameless troll since 1999”

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

I truly think this is paranoia. If what you’re saying is true, then that’s just a big coincidence.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

Doubtful. I spent around $170 on gems in the last two weeks and all I’ve got was one exotic and like 15 rares, this while using a %175 MF. So no.

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Bah! I guess I have been cheated, as I have purchased items from the gem store, and I haven’t gotten a precursor! Darn.

Posted by: Equanox.2081

Equanox.2081

I have really bad RNG too.. I don’t know about the mining pick but I noticed that friends of mine who pay a lot for BL keys and other stuff get a lot more Corrupted Lodestones and Charged Lodestones! I have 148% MF and get about 1 in 2 hours. Friends of mine got like 3 in an hour :S Every single time!

Posted by: Jandus.2834

Jandus.2834

I am extremely unlucky in this game in terms of drop. Everything I put in the Mystic Toilet returns nothing but crap. Chests from world bosses, dungeons and fractals contain blues, greens and maybe a yellow.

Interestingly enough some people around me bought the Molten Alliance Mining Pick and those people, after said purchase, actually got precursors. Do I dare say that ‘significant’ purchases in the Gem Store have a hidden effect on Magic Find?

Yes, I dare. Discuss!

Gotta love inductive reasoning.

Sorry, but, no, buying the mining pick had no effect on yours (or anyone else’s) magic find.

Evindor.1780

Give it one more week, MrKnieves. Do a few world bosses and I’m sure your Gem Store purchased ‘hidden’ Magic Find will kick in.

Jandus, of course it’s impossible for me to single-handedly gather enough data on this matter to get any sort of statically significance. It is, how ever, a fishy matter, to say the least.

(edited by Evindor.1780)

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

As real as the “trial account got 2 precursors on the karka event chest” rumor.

Evindor.1780

That was obviously fake, caiomacos.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Give it one more week, MrKnieves. Do a few world bosses and I’m sure your Gem Store purchased ‘hidden’ Magic Find will kick in.

Jandus, of course it’s impossible for me to single-handedly gather enough data on this matter to get any sort of statically significance. It is, how ever, a fishy matter, to say the least.

Er, wait, are you being serious about this? I thought you were just venting cause you were jealous of your friends.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I thought the same thing after a $50 purchase one time. Got 15/25 clovers in the mystic forge.

My next 25 tries yielded 2 clovers.

Evindor.1780

More proof that Gem Store purchases yield some sort of fishy Magic Find bonus.

Equanox.2081

That they implemented this is really bad.. Basicly pay to win.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

My post was to prove that it DOESN’T help MF. I’ve spent a lot of money in gems. A lot more than most people have. I get absolute crap for loot in high level fractals. I haven’t got anything but a blue or green out of a fractal chest in over a month.

I got 15/25 clovers in those first 25 tries, but the next 25 tries easily made up for the early success.

Buying gems does not seem to increase MF chance at all.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I spent $800 on this game and I got Dusk on a drop in December.

I stopped paying $$$ since December.

COINCIDENCE?

Comon guys, remove the tinfoils

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Hawkian.6580

That they implemented this is really bad.. Basicly pay to win.

“That they” implemented this? Are you kidding me? O.o

Posted by: New Character Yo.6487

New Character Yo.6487

RNG is RNG. That’s all. Lots of people i know who throw money at the gem shop don’t get anything useful. The more you play, the higher chance you have of getting it because you are playing longer and therefore looting more….. Conspiracy theories…. lol. Even if that were true… wouldn’t it be better for business if Anet LET people know? So…. i don’t know…. people actually spend more on the gem shop to increase their MF?!?!?

Evindor.1780

New Character Yo, I’m pretty sure this is not suppose to be publicly known because this would cause rage in the gaming community. There is of course a positive reinforcement element in this story.

Vol, there is probably a delay in the increase to avoid it from being too obvious. Further more, with this hidden Magic Find increase you can still be unlucky and not get good loot. Of course the chance of that happening is lower than those who don’t spend money in the Gem Store.

New Character Yo.6487

Isn’t that completely your theory though? Since you know some people who have gotten luckier after purchasing from the gem store, and I know people who have either been as unlucky or unluckier then me even though they use the gem store frequently.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I didn’t get a precursor after buying it.

Either way it isn’t true.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

New Character Yo.6487

More proof that Gem Store purchases yield some sort of fishy Magic Find bonus.

More proof that the educational system out there is really really bad. <sigh>

Take a statistics class, take a few logic courses and look up ‘sharp-shooter fallacy’.

Lol you almost sound excruciatingly disappointed (or that’s how i read it :P)

Hawkian.6580

New Character Yo, I’m pretty sure this is not suppose to be publicly known because this would cause rage in the gaming community. There is of course a positive reinforcement element in this story.

Vol, there is probably a delay in the increase to avoid it from being too obvious. Further more, with this hidden Magic Find increase you can still be unlucky and not get good loot. Of course the chance of that happening is lower than those who don’t spend money in the Gem Store.

A positive reinforcement ELEMENT?

Out of curiosity If ArenaNet came out and said “nope, buying stuff with Gems in no way affects your drops,” would that dissuade you from thinking it was occurring, or make no difference?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

If this worked, I’d buy so many more gems than I currently do! And no, magic find boosters don’t count because they’re bad.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Amfibija.6925

Amfibija.6925

Why would they have this implemented?

Evindor.1780

Jandus, as I wrote earlier it is impossible for me alone to gather enough date. It’s a hunch. I wish it was possible for me to proof it, but unfortunately I don’t have access to the data needed. Needless to say I still consider it fishy. Off-topic: I agree, the British education system is horrible. The lectures I followed the past year were absolutely horrible.

Hawkian, at that point I would drop it. I will just have to assume they speak the truth (which would be plausible considering their track record). Especially since I can’t generate enough data myself to investigate this an further.

Amfibija, positive reinforcement. People buy something in the Gem Store with real money and are ‘rewarded’ with an hidden increase in Magic Find, resulting in ‘better’ drops. These signals are positively stored together and the act of buying something in the Gem Store with real money is reinforced.

Geotherma, of course this doesn’t sound plausible. However, I remember reading an article about an MMO were system players had more agro and this was proven by the community after a few months. In the end it got fixed. Perhaps this hidden Magic Find gain is similar to the issue I described?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Jandus, as I wrote earlier it is impossible for me alone to gather enough date. It’s a hunch. I wish it was possible for me to proof it, but unfortunately I don’t have access to the data needed. Needless to say I still consider it fishy. Off-topic: I agree, the British education system is horrible. The lectures I followed the past year were absolutely horrible.

Hawkian, at that point I would drop it. I will just have to assume they speak the truth (which would be plausible considering their track record). Especially since I can’t generate enough data myself to investigate this an further.

Amfibija, positive reinforcement. People buy something in the Gem Store with real money and are ‘rewarded’ with an hidden increase in Magic Find, resulting in ‘better’ drops. These signals are positively stored together and the act of buying something in the Gem Store with real money is reinforced.

Geotherma, of course this doesn’t sound plausible. However, I remember reading an article about an MMO were system players had more agro and this was proven by the community after a few months. In the end it got fixed. Perhaps this hidden Magic Find gain is similar to the issue I described?

I can say that I probably spend far more than most people in game on gems. Probably an alarming amount, and yet I’ve never seen a precursor or epic exotic drops. Anything that drops well for me is from hard work and farming. I haven’t found any statements where devs confirmed there is no connection between gems purchases, or DDE accounts etc, but I’m sure they are out there.

I mean if people really want to poke at conspiracy’s, then I could easily say my 5 fused tickets, farming gains per hour, rare drops, and the ability to give others uncanny luck in my groups is directly related to the fact that my account is 1 number different than Colin Johanson.

Anyone can make a conspiracy, and those who find themselves on the receiving end of bad luck tend to want to blame someone/something. Arenanet is the easiest and closest target for them. Rather than use logic and common sense people jump to what they are scared of, what they truly hope isn’t true, because they find solace in the fact they could be right-and people really are out to get them. But that’s an entirely different psychological discussion.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Equanox.2081

I would like Anet to be more open about MF, RNG and drop chances. Even in WoW you knew you had 1% drop chance. That didnt mean that if you played it 100 times you got one. It only meant you have a 1% everytime you enter. If they are a bit more open about diminishing returns and droprates the people in Gw2 should not need to worry about hidden MF.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve spent a fair amount in the gem store. If gem store purchases increase magic find, I must be the unluckiest person in Tyria. lol

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They also watch your posts on their forum. If you post negatively towards ANet they lower your MF %. If you post positively towards them they increase the %.

:P

GW2 best game ever! Ever! The programers that tweak the magic finds are the best most super brilliant programers ever. GW2 should immediately be put into the video game hall of fame. I have never seen a so perfectly scripted MMO in all my years gaming. Pure perfection. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

P.S. I’m still low level so I could use some kick kitten gear. I’ll be grinding in a few hours. Just saying..

The Burninator

Evindor.1780

Geotherma, unfortunately I can’t find the faults for my bad luck at myself. So yes, Arenanet is therefore the closest and most logical target.

Equanox, they should definitely shed some light on these issues.

Vayne, perhaps you are unlucky indeed. Just like me. Lets be unlucky together.

BuD, interesting theory. Perhaps this also works for Facebook? In that case, my bad luck could be explained.

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

If they gave you higher MF for gem purchases, they would advertise that, hands down. Seriously, it makes a great deal more sense to advertise any such effect, rather than hide it so that only a few people notice it.
Anyways, RNG will always be RNG, and people will always try to find patterns where there are none.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This thread needs to be locked because this nonsense can spread like wildfire.

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As this discussion has run it’s course it is now locked.