Gem store dyes and other

Gem store dyes and other

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t like gem store RNG. I don’t like BLKs, I don’t like the idea of spending real money for a chance to get something or maybe part of something (scraps), or junk.
I do however support the gem store as long as what I am buying is guaranteed.

I’ve probably spent more real money in the gem store than 99% of all players. I don’t mind* doing it as long as I know what I am getting. This buy a box, pack, whatever for a “chance” is junk. Sell it straight out Anet. You will get more buyers.

Those dye packs with a ‘chance’ are junk to me. Not cool. Just sell the darn dyes. I bet it would sell more. Gem store RNG = Rip Off.

*I have some issues of how Anet treats Mac customers (read ignores often).

The Burninator

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Completely agree. I would have bought Jade weapons. I will not buy a chance at maybe one day having a Jade weapon.

They should also do it like they did in GW1. Once I bought something, it was forever. No transmutation stones needed. No “Only this character can use it and if you delete it, tough.” Permanent. My money is going permanently to them, their services should be permanently provided to me.

I do not rent. I do not gamble. I pay for sure things.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

They just deleted a thread like this with no warning. I guess they do not want to draw attention to this.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I don’t like gem store RNG. I don’t like BLKs, I don’t like the idea of spending real money for a chance to get something or maybe part of something (scraps), or junk.
I do however support the gem store as long as what I am buying is guaranteed.

I’ve probably spent more real money in the gem store than 99% of all players. I don’t mind* doing it as long as I know what I am getting. This buy a box, pack, whatever for a “chance” is junk. Sell it straight out Anet. You will get more buyers.

Those dye packs with a ‘chance’ are junk to me. Not cool. Just sell the darn dyes. I bet it would sell more. Gem store RNG = Rip Off.

*I have some issues of how Anet treats Mac customers (read ignores often).

I can’t seem to hit the thumbs up +1 hard enough to satisfy me enough on how much I agree.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

They just deleted a thread like this with no warning. I guess they do not want to draw attention to this.

Happens more often than you may think. But I agree with the OP on this matter.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Trogy sure has changed quite a bit from the old days. Here is how he might have replied to his own thread when he was just a wee lad.

Personally I’d load up the gem store with every non-essential in game item I could think of no matter how small the audience for it may be. If I thought enough people were willing to buy it to cover the cost of development plus earn money it would be in the gem store.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

If you want a specific dye, just convert gems to gold and buy it. I don’t see why that doesn’t work for you.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

If you want a specific dye, just convert gems to gold and buy it. I don’t see why that doesn’t work for you.

Because the item bought is random. Kinda the point of the whole thread.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Because the item bought is random. Kinda the point of the whole thread.

Haha, I should have actually read the post.
I completely agree with the randomness being bad.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

One good thing about this though. I tried buying a ton of them for the first time in hopes of getting lucky. After losing all of my gems and gold, I have finally decided to stop spending money on gems for this game.

I am happy to say that I have finally broken my bad habit of spending money on this game

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Just buy the kitten dye from the Trading Post… god…

Gem store dyes and other

JustTrogdor.7892

Just buy the kitten dye from the Trading Post… god…

Just read the OP… god….

The Burninator

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: miriya.8496

miriya.8496

What, the new dyes are BoP?

Honest question here, I don’t know. If they’re not ‘buy them on the trading post’ is legit — if not likely expensive — advice. And no gambling involved!

Hish Tulla | 80 Necro | [STYX]

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

I disagree. Look at TF2 for an example, the keys for rng crates in that game are sold more than anything else. Then again, gw2 crates are complete garbage but that doesn’t mean the actual process is bad. The rewards are bad. They need to buff the crates so people actually buy keys, like in TF2.

Gem store dyes and other

JustTrogdor.7892

What, the new dyes are BoP?

Honest question here, I don’t know. If they’re not ‘buy them on the trading post’ is legit — if not likely expensive — advice. And no gambling involved!

This isn’t about buying on the TP. It is about gem store RNG. It is about people paying real money (not me anymore) for a ‘chance’. I don’t even know what the new dyes look like. I do know that selling a ‘chance’ is not what I want to see in the gem store. I suppose many people are fine with it otherwise those dyes wouldn’t be on the TP as someone had to take that chance on the gem store to get them and then sell them on the TP. Even if I thought the dyes were epic and I saw it on the TP I would not buy it because I won’t support gem store RNG. If I were to buy it I would be supporting the seller giving in to gem store RNG.

The gem store should be straight forward, “buy this for this”. Most all of my gem store purchases were for just that (I admit I fell for some RNG items many months ago). I knew exactly what I was getting and received it. I bought it and it was in my in box and not a chance for it to be something, a scrap, or some other thing I didn’t really want. The gem store has a lot of potential IMO and RNG is not a part of that. I won’t support it, I won’t condone it. I used to when I was new to the game, but I have been watching it way too long and I don’t like it and my wallet will remain closed when I see such things in the store.

The Burninator

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Nouvel.2375

Nouvel.2375

It’ll be great if you can buy items without the rng, but there are always people who like to gamble and Anet are probably seeing lots of players who don’t mind this sort of thing and will gladly pay with lots of real money or gold to get it.

Gem store dyes and other

JustTrogdor.7892

I disagree. Look at TF2 for an example, the keys for rng crates in that game are sold more than anything else. Then again, gw2 crates are complete garbage but that doesn’t mean the actual process is bad. The rewards are bad. They need to buff the crates so people actually buy keys, like in TF2.

So you agree selling junk in RNG gem store items is bad. :P

The Burninator

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

You guys should of seen how crazy this rng stuff was with the the first halloween exclusive drops. like the scythe and the greatsaw, highly disappointed with the RNG.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Now I don’t mind the black lion chests and keys, the chests just need to offer better stuff and a better chance at the things people actually want.
The dyes however are rubbish and I should have learned after flame and frost dyes that I should never spend a single gem on them. I bought quite a few back then and didn’t get a single of the new ones while I got only ommon dyes worth nothing.
Still I tried again this time as I had a few hegems left after getting the ore for the home instance and the new mask (love the mast) and once again I got only common rubbish dyes.
I will never waste another gem on dye kits from gemstore. If I truly want any of those dyes I get them of TP.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: miriya.8496

miriya.8496

Ah, fair enough; I can definitely understand that perspective, even if I don’t necessarily share it. Alas, I don’t think it’ll do much, given how many people will be happy to buy them in your stead, but I certainly appreciate standing up for your principles. :>

I will say that not everyone buying RNG things are helpless gambling addicts, though. I tend to spend roughly ten bucks to fifteen bucks month on gems because I want to support a company whose work I very much appreciate in a currency they need to keep on keepin’ on (that’s absolutely not a dig at you or even anyone else who buys gold with gems, just that given the opportunity I’d like to help keep their lights on and servers running). Sometimes I’ll just hold on to them and wait for the next thing released in-store, but since I don’t convert those gems to gold and have a problem with being bad at caring much about dress up/chronically unenthused with the gs armor skins (and one-time use), BLKs and dye packs often seem to be my go-to when I get the urge to just buy something.

Hish Tulla | 80 Necro | [STYX]

Gem store dyes and other

JustTrogdor.7892

Now I don’t mind the black lion chests and keys, the chests just need to offer better stuff and a better chance at the things people actually want.
The dyes however are rubbish and I should have learned after flame and frost dyes that I should never spend a single gem on them. I bought quite a few back then and didn’t get a single of the new ones while I got only ommon dyes worth nothing.
Still I tried again this time as I had a few hegems left after getting the ore for the home instance and the new mask (love the mast) and once again I got only common rubbish dyes.
I will never waste another gem on dye kits from gemstore. If I truly want any of those dyes I get them of TP.

That brings me to another point. I think these ‘chance of’ items prey on newer players. When I first started playing it was when the Southsun Crates were out. I admit I bought into it thinking, “cool I have a chance of getting something neat since I paid cash.” Big surprise a few crates later. Most experienced players know better then to buy these things at this point.

If they are going to sell ‘chance’ items in the gem store then they should, at the very least, publish the odds. If I buy a dye chance from the gem store what are my odds of getting a rare dye as opposed to a 60 copper dye?

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Gem store dyes and other

Nausiation.1469

So you agree selling junk in RNG gem store items is bad. :P

That wasn’t what the OP was about. the op was about ALL RNG. If it was good RNG, I would be fine with it.

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It is about gem store RNG. It is about people paying real money (not me anymore) for a ‘chance’. I don’t even know what the new dyes look like.

Nothing to write home about. I don’t think you’ll be missing much this time around. I bought four dye packs just to see and received four of the new dyes. They look alright but not what I was expecting.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Gem store dyes and other

JustTrogdor.7892

If it was good RNG, I would be fine with it.

Sadly it isn’t.

The Burninator

Gem store dyes and other

Nausiation.1469

If it was good RNG, I would be fine with it.

Sadly it isn’t.

which is why I typed “if”

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Thanks for this thread – I was thinking of buying some dyes in the store but I didn’t realize that if you paid cash you could still get junk. Glad I googled it before I made the purchase. I agree that if you pay cash you should always get the good stuff. Like buy a dye pack and get one of the 6 good ones, not 1 of 25 where only 6 are the good ones.

LOL, can you imagine if a RL store worked that way? I really don’t understand why anyone at all is willing to buy these things.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Let me be clear. I haven’t spent a single dime since day 1. And I will never do so untill the gambling is gone. I want to support the game. I do. I’ve done it before in other mmorpg’s. (played WoW, Aion for several years with subscription) But not here. Not untill I see something worth spending my money on guaranteed items. OP is right. Simple as that.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Gem store dyes and other

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Let me be clear. I haven’t spent a single dime since day 1. And I will never do so untill the gambling is gone. I want to support the game. I do. I’ve done it before in other mmorpg’s. (played WoW, Aion for several years with subscription) But not here. Not untill I see something worth spending my money on guaranteed items. OP is right. Simple as that.

exactly.
I’ve spent 10€ since I bought the game, not again til they stop with the randomness.
I think a cash shop in games is fine. I much prefer it to subs. But randomness on cash?

I think the issue with this is converting gold to gems. What they need is a seperate cash shop for specific guaranteed items. That you can’t get by gold farming.
Too many people gold farm for gems, changing the RNG on gems could add problems because of this(idk). But I understand them wanting to keep it RNG since you can get them via gold farming.
So create a cash shop with no rny, but no in game way to get to it either.

What I mean is, specific dyes, are cash online, random dye set, gems.