Gem use

Gem use

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AnimeChan.3029

AnimeChan.3029

I was thinking about getting gems, what do you guys get gems for? I don’t think gems are worthless but I don’t know what id really be after if I got some. a miniature seems nice or even a costume…
Any opinions or ideas would help me. Thanks!

Gem use

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

Considering your account name, I would expect that the katana greatsword skin would be your first choice. Outside of that, the armor sets are pretty nice, especially Phalanx for heavies and Phoenix for light classes.

Gem use

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Bank slots are really nice.
Character slot if you like to make alts.
Infinite gathering tools is very popular.
Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic is also a really good item to buy.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Gem use

Posted by: AnimeChan.3029

AnimeChan.3029

Thanks for the ideas~

Gem use

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

One of the nice things in this game is there’s nothing you actually need to buy from the gem store.

Some things are more useful than others, bank tabs for example, but plenty of people play for months or years without buying anything from the gem store, so you don’t need to worry about missing things you need. Just buy what you want, and think is worth the money.

As well as the in-game descriptions you can use the wiki to get more information on each item before buying.

Personally I like buying minis (I collect them), I’ve got a couple of outfits, 2 extra bank tabs, oh and some infinite gathering tools.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Gem use

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

One of the nice things in this game is there’s nothing you actually need to buy from the gem store.

I don’t really agree with this. You definitely have to buy bank tabs from the gem store. I have invited several friends to the game and with all the crap that ArenaNet pushes onto players from the personal story, living story, and in general, you can barely make it through the first month with the extremey limited single bank tab.

Some people do get around this by making their own guilds for the guild vault. But it is limited to storing tradeable items only. And alts used as mules use up a character slot and cannot be used to store any soulbound items either.

Personal inventories are also extremely limited, even if you use a full set of 20 slot bags it is unlikely that you will be able to carry more than one set of gear on a character without buying an additional character bag slot, unless you like having only a single loot bag and having to salvage every few steps in lv80 maps.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Gem use

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I`ve recently purchased few things:
-LS story pack, since i`m relatively new player I only had last episode unlocked, gonna get me some achievments soon:P
-Salvag-o-matic, both copper and silver. I think it`s one of the best item to get, saves so much space and trouble with basic salvage kits.
-Musical Harpy, even if you arent very good at it, it`s very fun for me to try playing some music pieces
-Costumes I liked – Ancestral, Exemplar. I think I`m also gonna get this katana blade and one heavy armor set I like but dont remember names.

Planning to get:
-bank tabs for obvious reasons
-infinite tools

I pretty much like what item shop has to offer, only wish they`d add more items with each update.

Gem use

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I don’t really agree with this. You definitely have to buy bank tabs from the gem store. I have invited several friends to the game and with all the crap that ArenaNet pushes onto players from the personal story, living story, and in general, you can barely make it through the first month with the extremey limited single bank tab.

Some people do get around this by making their own guilds for the guild vault. But it is limited to storing tradeable items only. And alts used as mules use up a character slot and cannot be used to store any soulbound items either.

Personal inventories are also extremely limited, even if you use a full set of 20 slot bags it is unlikely that you will be able to carry more than one set of gear on a character without buying an additional character bag slot, unless you like having only a single loot bag and having to salvage every few steps in lv80 maps.

More bank tabs still aren’t needed unless you’re a pack rat and keep absolutely everything and craft heavily on top of that. I feel free to delete a lot of junk I get from all sources and I craft as I harvest so I use up materials right away. Given, I have a first- in-first-out habit and I don’t sit on tasks or materials and I also really only do other stuff after or while I’m wandering and fighting in WvW.

Kash
NSP

Gem use

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

More bank tabs still aren’t needed unless you’re a pack rat and keep absolutely everything and craft heavily on top of that. I feel free to delete a lot of junk I get from all sources and I craft as I harvest so I use up materials right away. Given, I have a first- in-first-out habit and I don’t sit on tasks or materials and I also really only do other stuff after or while I’m wandering and fighting in WvW.

I agree with this.

I have 3 bank tabs total (the original one and two others) and I only need that much because I’m lazy. I have an entire row of boosters I never remember to use and another for Ori gathering tools because for a while I wasn’t keeping track of how many I had an ended up with about 3 of each per character. Plus various exotic and ascended items I’m saving because they might be useful for alts when they hit level 80 and 5 assorted soulbound exotics I’m saving until I have enough on one character to throw in the Forge.

In other words a lot of stuff I keep because it’s marginally useful and I happen to have space to keep it. If I had more space the amount of junk would increase to fill it. (Although trying to make a legendary with minimal farming really got me to clear out a lot of stuff, if I could sell it and didn’t absolutely need it then it was gone.)

And even with that I usually have around 20 empty slots (most of a tab).

I don’t deny that bank tabs are probably the most useful thing in the gem store for most people, but they’re still not essential to play.

(Certainly not compared to what I’ve heard about some other, mainly “free”-to-play, games where it’s virtually impossible to even level up without buying items from the in-game store.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Gem use

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i have 2 bank tabs and after almost 3 years i never saw the need to buy another, you’re just keeping to much useless crap.

Gem use

Posted by: Teleniel.1809

Teleniel.1809

I have extra character tabs, bank tabs, and bag slots on my main (guardian)… which I bought a LONG time a go when gold > gems was a “good” conversion.

I will probably end up buying unlimited logging and harvesting tools, and the copper salvage someday.

I would like but probably won’t buy the home instance nodes, and the additional crafting license. As I look to finishing my ascended armor set, it might be nice if I just had 2 “crafting” PCs and wasn’t possibly needing to duplicate recipes or change characters to pass of parts.

Gem use

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Inventory tabs. More space would be nice regardless of how many X slot bags you have

Bank space. Not sure why we have so little space there so adding a tab or two would help.

Dyes. More of a convenient boost especially if you want your gear/ Outfits to look a certain way.

Costumes The main reason for buying gems. You get to preview them before buying!

Gem to Gold conversion Pretty good if you need a small boost in profits, though the conversion rate is horrible. Use as a last resort.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Gem use

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I’ve spent way too much on this game.

I’ve bought bank tabs, character slots, unlimited mining tools, home nodes, a few armor sets, a couple finishers, black lion keys, home portal stone

(edited by uhohhotdog.3598)

Gem use

Posted by: BigBadBoy.5408

BigBadBoy.5408

Bank slots/expansion
Bag slots/expansion
Unlimited Mining Tools
Musical Instruments

IoJ peasant
PvX

Gem use

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Mostly just account upgrades early on. Such as char slot expansions, bank, inv bag expansions. Couple armor skins later on. A couple BL salvage kits on sale. I RMT’d them, didn’t spend much, but stopped when we started realizing that they were putting off doing an expansion and started to abuse us with the gem store a bit much. I figured they found other people to get money from, didn’t want mine any longer /shrugs

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Gem use

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Personally I have been playing over 2 years and up until last night I never paid a nickel playing this game aside from the $59.99 it cost. I have converted gold into gems once, and taken the free gems that came with AP and bought a bank tab expansion and bag slot expansion.

Last night I bought $35 worth of gems, whatever that equates to, because I wanted the logging and cloth gathering nodes for my home instance and a watchwork mining pick. I could have converted some of the 500 g I have into gems instead, but I decided after 2 years of play I could make a small monetary contribution in exchange for the entertainment I have received the past two years. It won’t likely happen again for another 2 , except maybe the expansion.

I can only see using them on utilitarian items like this. Its not a financial decision for me, I can afford to buy hundreds of dollars in gems a month if I felt like it, I do not believe in subscription based games and I don’t see the need to buy fancy clothes either.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Gem use

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I can only see using them on utilitarian items like this. Its not a financial decision for me, I can afford to buy hundreds of dollars in gems a month if I felt like it, I do not believe in subscription based games and I don’t see the need to buy fancy clothes either.

Bumper sticker: [My other game is a sub based game, and it’s not WoW]
I spent like $80 on gems the first 6mo’s or so. I think I sadly encouraged them to increase the use of the item shop and put off an expansion, thus nearly destroying the game. Srry
Wont do it again, promise…
But yeah, pref pure sub based p2p first (usually pay by the year), then b2p + real expansion costs, have 0 f2p’s or hybrid f2p’s installed.

Gem use

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Disclaimer, I am not a typical MMO player so maybe that’s why I don’t like subscription based games. The only game I ever played that was even remotely like GW2 was Diablo 2/3. I have never played WoW.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Gem use

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Either you, personally, like or need something that costs gems, or you don’t, TBH.

I think there is very little point in asking other people to suggest things on your behalf, as we obviously don’t know what your personal tastes/requirements are.

If you don’t like, or need, anything you could always suggest something you would like.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Gem use

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Bank slots are really nice.
Character slot if you like to make alts.
Infinite gathering tools is very popular.
Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic is also a really good item to buy.

I agree with these recommendations.

Plus, get a few ‘fun’ things: skins, minis, outfits, etc. (I don’t recommend getting anything that involves a lottery, such as BL Keys or dye packs.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gem use

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

I prefer quality of life purchases as opposed to cosmetic ones. There are many armor and weapon skins in-game to choose from. However character and bank tab slots are helpful, infinite gathering and salvaging tools are A-MAZING (only purchases I dont regret), and that upgrade which increases the amount your material storage can hold. Some people swear by the home gathering nodes. Transmutation charges are just so easy to come by by exploring cities and doing some casual pvp every day that I wouldnt bother.

To save your wallet, dont buy the equivalent of scratch tickets (BL keys/mini chests/ dye packs). Chances are youd be better off exchanging the gems for gold and buying the thing you REALLY wanted off of the TP.

Disclaimer: I am philosophically opposed to the gem store kitten they are doing (mainly all the cosmetic stuff) so that is why Im not recommending outfits or weapon skins. All shall bow down to Gem Store Tuesday

Gem use

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

For me it was initially character slots so I can have one for each profession.

Later it was bank slots, then gathering tools and lastly outfits.

and Keys. Yes I buy keys but along with everything I listed, only when they are on sale.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Gem use

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I prefer quality of life purchases as opposed to cosmetic ones. There are many armor and weapon skins in-game to choose from. However character and bank tab slots are helpful, infinite gathering and salvaging tools are A-MAZING (only purchases I dont regret), and that upgrade which increases the amount your material storage can hold. Some people swear by the home gathering nodes. Transmutation charges are just so easy to come by by exploring cities and doing some casual pvp every day that I wouldnt bother.

To save your wallet, dont buy the equivalent of scratch tickets (BL keys/mini chests/ dye packs). Chances are youd be better off exchanging the gems for gold and buying the thing you REALLY wanted off of the TP.

Disclaimer: I am philosophically opposed to the gem store kitten they are doing (mainly all the cosmetic stuff) so that is why Im not recommending outfits or weapon skins. All shall bow down to Gem Store Tuesday

I really want black lion tickets though.