Gems ?

Gems ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrSidious.5108

MrSidious.5108

i have seen on sites (no names) you can buy a gem card.
i am new so, what are they for ? and is that OK to do ?

Gems ?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

i have seen on sites (no names) you can buy a gem card.
i am new so, what are they for ? and is that OK to do ?

You can buy gems from ANet (via the game’s interface) or through gem cards from authorized resellers, which vary depending on the country you live in. Buying from Amazon is okay; buying from G2A is not. The main difference is if something goes wrong, ANet will support your purchase from Amazon, but not the one from G2A (since G2A doesn’t bother checking if the sellers obtained them from a legit source).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gems ?

MrSidious.5108

OK thanks
but what do gems do ?

Gems ?

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

I looked at these gem cards being sold, and they seem to go through the redeem code feature. For the one I looked at it’s $2 cheaper, but I don’t know if it’s a material card you need to pay shipping for or if tax hasn’t been added yet for my region. Whatever it is it seems very sketchy and not worth saving $2 if you end up getting nothing.

Gems ?

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Gems are currency that you can buy stuff/items from the black lion trading post.
You can also exchange them for in game gold.
Or you can exchange gold for gems.
Or you can get gems by buying them with debit/credit.

Gems ?

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

OK thanks
but what do gems do ?

Here’s a list of what you can currently buy with gems. This list changes over time and can be viewed in-game by pressing “O”.

G R E E N E R

Gems ?

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

Buying from sites not supported by anet is legit as far as you accept, that in this case only the site you purchased from is responsible for your purchase and some of those sites DO scam and you’ll have to rely on user reviews to make your choice.

however, those sites are also a good way to buy cheap gemcards IF you chose a legit site. those people usually buy those cards in places with low prices and a low value currency (f.e. russia, some asian states) so they can resell it cheaper than anet or their distributors sell gems and still make profit.

just make sure you use a site that has a decent reputation and accept that this wqay the possibility to be scammed is ALWAYS existent.

Gems ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For any and all game-related questions, the Wiki (accessed via the link above, or in-game by typing /Wiki [topic of choice] in chat) is a wonderful, informative resource.

(I see you have posted a few questions, here and there.)

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck. =)

Gems ?

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Can always use PaySafeCards.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Gems ?

MrSidious.5108

Thank you all for the info Helps alot

Gems ?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I usually just go to my local Target or Best Buy to get gem cards. However, I’m that one weird person that likes to pay cash for things.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Gems ?

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I usually go to Target, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart and buy the Gem cards. For some reason when you buy from one of these you don’t pay tax, whereas if you buy online from the Gem store they add tax. I never have been able to understand why…

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Gems ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I usually go to Target, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart and buy the Gem cards. For some reason when you buy from one of these you don’t pay tax, whereas if you buy online from the Gem store they add tax. I never have been able to understand why…

Because retail stores consider ‘top-up’ type of cards as gift cards, and gifts cards do not have tax added, otherwise, tax would be collected twice (once on the cards, and again on the merchandise the card was used to pay for).