Generic "Should I play again?" Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MaximumSquid.6074

MaximumSquid.6074

The PvP was what kept me playing GW:1 for years
I burned out of GW:2 PvP in <3 months

I almost started playing again a year or so later, but found out that I would need to grind another tier of equipment and promptly left

I thought about getting HoT when it was on sale with the intention that another close friend would play with me (but didn’t pan out)

So here we are at Expansion 3. . .
Competing for my attention are other expansion releases like Path of Exile, Star Realms Frontiers, and a slew of indie games that receive regular updates

If I have been away this long is it worth checking out?
or
Would Tyria just feel way too alien to me. . . especially playing alone, initially

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

If you’re looking to SPvP, you don’t have to worry about grinding for Ascended (max-tier) equipment, since SPvP equipment is standardized and free.

WvW will require Ascended though, if you don’t want to get stomped when playing solo/small group.

Even in PvE, Ascended is only really if you’re looking to do high-tier content efficiently (Raids, high-level Fractals.) Everything else in the game, including Raids, can be done comfortably in Exotics, which are trivial to obtain.

The open world game is very very solo-friendly, except for meta events that are obviously made for larger ad-hoc groups.

If you played GW1 and especially Nightfall, the new expansion should hopefully be very nostalgic for you. So not too alien hopefully.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

(edited by Glenstorm.4059)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You could try out the Beta Weekends coming up, and decide if the gameplay is intriguing. (The second Beta Weekend is featuring PvP gameplay with new Elite Specializations.)

Good luck.

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

The PvP was what kept me playing GW:1 for years
I burned out of GW:2 PvP in <3 months

PoF has ~0% new content for PvP (aside from the new specs). And the pace of balancing patches in PvP is one each 3 months. Plus, base population in this game mode is so low that matchmaking oftenly mixes players of several tiers of difference.

Posted by: MaximumSquid.6074

MaximumSquid.6074

I guess I would have to plan on the PvE experience

I tried googling the beta, but didn’t find anything. . .
Does anyone have a link to where I sign up or download the client?

Posted by: trino.4832

trino.4832

Hi all i am a returning player as well and i hate to jack this thread but i feel it would be better then making a new one. I have only been gone for 4 or 5 months but it feels much longer. I play this game for the PVE and i would like to hear peoples opinions of the last 6 months. When i left i felt like i was just logging in to do my dailies. I even tried raiding and i liked it but i couldn’t dedicate a certain day to raid due to my work schedule. So unfortunately that remains out of reach for me. Any suggestions where i should start again? (I have been logging in to get the living world story i just couldn’t play it due to lack of willpower something i shouldn’t need for a game that i like)

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Hi all i am a returning player as well and i hate to jack this thread but i feel it would be better then making a new one. I have only been gone for 4 or 5 months but it feels much longer. I play this game for the PVE and i would like to hear peoples opinions of the last 6 months. When i left i felt like i was just logging in to do my dailies. I even tried raiding and i liked it but i couldn’t dedicate a certain day to raid due to my work schedule. So unfortunately that remains out of reach for me. Any suggestions where i should start again? (I have been logging in to get the living world story i just couldn’t play it due to lack of willpower something i shouldn’t need for a game that i like)

PVE has improved by leagues, here’s a list of my thoughts:
Content is way more repeatable with more unique rewards and challenges than the entire base HoT expansion combined.

The raids are a ton of fun, but are also such a small portion that if you never touch them the only thing you’ll be missing out on is the experience, but they are so far from necessary to do that it’s nothing to worry about.

Builds haven’t changed much, but once PoF comes out the available variety will more than double so there will be a ton more room for experimentation.

The new maps are just as good as the HoT maps (though many people think they are better), incorporating the lessons learned with HoT and the good things with the map-making strategy that Core Tyria had and the 6 new maps are very different to one another. Personally, I could bounce between those 6 for a long time and not have much of an issue with it. They don’t have quite as many events as other maps, but they are content-dense and are varied enough between them that it’s not an issue at all (they also are not nearly as challenging to navigate as TD or anything, they are similar to AB in terms of navigation).

I’d recommend starting with exploration and story. The new maps offer a ton of stuff that is a great reintroduction to the experience of running around a map looking for things, each one has a ton of stuff to just find and a lot of mobility options utilizing the masteries, both old and new.

For other PVE content, the new fractals and the revamps of some old ones have really brought the standards up, using some new tech and abilities from raids, as well as offering challenge modes if you really want to test yourself. I love the new ones personally, though to be fair some people are salty because you can’t just faceroll through them like you could on the old ones. This one is much more of a personal taste, but if you like challenging group content without the need for 10 people, fractals will be a great option (and ANET has added new rewards, both in drops and for achievements).

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

I guess I would have to plan on the PvE experience

I tried googling the beta, but didn’t find anything. . .
Does anyone have a link to where I sign up or download the client?

“Stock up on sunscreen and sand-proof your armor, because a Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire PvE preview weekend experience is coming soon! Every Guild Wars 2 player with an account in good standing will be able to play a demo of the expansion from Friday, August 11 through Sunday, August 13. If you don’t have a Guild Wars 2 account, register here to play for free and gain access to the preview-weekend experience.”
-https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire/

Just need to update your game and log on next Friday I think

Posted by: kration.9843

kration.9843

Even in PvE, Ascended is only really if you’re looking to do high-tier content efficiently (Raids, high-level Fractals.) Everything else in the game, including Raids, can be done comfortably in Exotics, which are trivial to obtain.

As another returning player, how trivial is it to obtain Exotics? I’d always assumed I’d need to do tons of quests/storylines etc…

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

If PvP is your main draw to a game, I’d recommend finding a PvP game, not a PvE game with a PvP gamemode, which pretty much rules out the entire MMO genre. And I’m not going to lie, among MMOs, I find GW2 particularly bad in this area- classes and individual mechanics may be balanced for PvP, but the overall system was clearly made for PvE, and that’s true of any MMO but this one more than most.

A couple good ones I’ve found lately are Battlerite, Gigantic, and For Honor. If you’re looking for expansive build strategy similar to GW1, Shardbound is a new TBS game that fills that niche, but I know turn based games aren’t for everyone.

Battlerite is more MoBA and RTS like, for honor is a new unique take on a traditional fighter game. But I particularly recommend Gigantic, has a very deep build system, a unique win condition that rewards tactical play, and a reasonable but rewarding amount of twitch-based gameplay like dodging and aiming. It’s also third person perspective similar to most MMOs, and has an absolutely gorgeous art style. It’s by far the best PvP game I’ve played in years.

(edited by Conncept.7638)