Get Rid of Precursor Crafting: Problem Solved

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

But a huge part of the fun of the new legendaries is the journey? This isn’t a solution, its a band-aid.

True, but the cut they have made is hemorrhaging players; it needs a band-aid.

Hopefully they can make a full fix at some point in the same way that they added crafting for the first set of weapons. In the meantime it is better to be able to create a new legandary weapon via the old method of mystic forge/crafting than to have to do without completely.

I’d rather see the new weapons via the old system than never see the new weapons.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Now Legendaries, oh yeah, they never should have been on the TP.

Why should people that enjoy the crafting even if not the owning of the weapons not be able to sell something they crafted. Its up to the player if they want to buy one or not. They still had to spend some type of resource to acquire it, be it time, mats, gold or gems. There are very few items of true player value in game, you shouldn’t restrict that. Not to mention to craft it someone had to still go through all the steps to make it, so if they want to trade the resources they acquired to do so, why not.

On top of that have been involved with helping others make Legendaries for other friends. If this was set to not be trade-able then you just eliminated this kind of thing from game and removed more group play. Which the more you do, you reach a point where, why group. We can chat on voice and be playing single player games if its each to their own.

2 cents.

I’d rather see ascended gear tradeable, honestly, over legendary weapons.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Now Legendaries, oh yeah, they never should have been on the TP.

Why should people that enjoy the crafting even if not the owning of the weapons not be able to sell something they crafted. Its up to the player if they want to buy one or not. They still had to spend some type of resource to acquire it, be it time, mats, gold or gems. There are very few items of true player value in game, you shouldn’t restrict that. Not to mention to craft it someone had to still go through all the steps to make it, so if they want to trade the resources they acquired to do so, why not.

On top of that have been involved with helping others make Legendaries for other friends. If this was set to not be trade-able then you just eliminated this kind of thing from game and removed more group play. Which the more you do, you reach a point where, why group. We can chat on voice and be playing single player games if its each to their own.

2 cents.

That was probably the logic behind allowing them on the TP, for the crafters in the game but an argument can be made, and is used for ascended armor and weapons, that such top tier items should be something the player does on their own rather than rolling up with a wheelbarrow full of gold to the TP. It reinforces the notion that grinding for gold (or buying) is the end game.

There are few other in-game items (other than resold black lion ticket skins or Gem Shop dyes/minis) that are worth that any where close to that much, besides the precursors needed to make them.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

The old system for legendary weapons was either get lucky or buy your way into the top.

People didn’t like this because some where getting pre and legendary weapons in their first week of playing and others went since game start and still not getting a drop of either.

Alot of the people I have seen doing content with legendary weapons just have no idea what they are doing or die in a hit or 2 forcing others to carry them, because they either converted gems to gold and bought it or got lucky.

The idea to craft them is a good idea but just needs tweaking and reductions to make the cost of crafting and the cost of buying out right the same or by making buying it out right from the tp a little more than cost to craft.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

I don’t see how suspending or lowering drop rates helps much.

Pretty easy. Halve the drop rate, and assuming there is no change in the number of people Mystic Forging(or a huge influx or decrease in players) and half the number gets produced. Stop them from dropping and no more get produced. As supply decreases, gold prices on the precursors increase, possibly to the point where they’ll exceed the mat costs in the crafting.

Transparency on the relative drop rates would be important for 2 reasons:

1) So that people don’t get upset at a nerfed drop rate

2) Being transparent would likely also lower the supply, as the rates diminish, people would be more hesitent to use the Mystic Forge to try to craft the.

The reason you don’t understand is because the human mind doesn’t comprehend probabilities intuitively. You see a 90% chance and feel cheated you don’t get a return on it. You see a 10% chance and assume that you never get a return on it. You see a failed 50% roll and assume the next 50% roll is going to succeed(gamblers fallacy).

I remember arguing about XCOM with someone, and they thought the RNG was “bad” in it, because someone described a chain of events with a probability of 1-in-118,000; but I had to explain to him that the game sold about 2 million copies, asuming(VERY conservatively) everyone who played it averaged 100 rolls in a playthrough, it really wasn’t unlikely to hear one of those 2 million people report the story.

I am pretty sure the reasons I don’t understand is for the actual reasons I said I didn’t, which you conveniently cut out. Those reasons are that you have one precursor that is created by consuming mass amounts of crafting materials that are used in pretty much all crafting recipes of valuable, such as ascended armor and the other legendary components and another precursor that is produced by consuming no crafting materials and is just generated randomly by the system.

Thus, they are not equal or the same and have two seperate sets of economic factors that influence their price, thus preventing them from ever being in balance.

So yes, in a vacuum, if we simply isolated them and did not consider any other variables, reducing the drop rate would increase the price of the precursors and bring them closer to the cost of crafting them.

However, by doing that, then more players will have to craft them for their own usage, due to scarcity, thus consuming more crafting materials and driving up the cost of those materials, since they are in competition with other players consuming those materials to make other things.

And since the other precursors being sold on the market are not acquired by players at the expense of an investment in gold to craft them, but rather just being dropped in their inventory, their price will always be less.

You can’t expect to craft one of the old precursors and sell it for a profit when you have to sell it for X amount of money to recoup your investment and are competing against players who are selling the same item and don’t have to sell it for a certain price to turn a profit. They can sell it for 1 gold and still make a profit; though, the question of who got the better deal in such a transaction would be worthy of asking.

My mind’s lack of an intuitive ability to understand probability has nothing to do with that.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

No dancing around here. I’m also not going to address the rest as I already had in my initial post. I suggest you re-read it.

No need to re-read it as I don’t believe I am the one missing the point here.

You are narrating the crafting collections as being this epic journey that adds flavour to the legendary quests and removes the element of swiping credit cards.

They aren’t. I don’t perceive them that way and it’s based on actual experience crafting. What they actually are is a few hours of actually traveling the world to collect items in between very large soft pay walls.

The major roadblocks of the collection itself was one absurdly troll item that was based heavily on RNG and overly tedious implementation of tasks, such as having to remove one item from my bank at a time to travel to a hero point, because if I had all the items I needed to charge at the hero point in my inventory, none of the dialog options for any of them would show up.

When you block progress via demanding a very large quantity of in game items that take a very long time to grind out or grind out the in game currency required to purchase them and then have a seperate system where you can swipe a credit card to acquire in game currency, you have created a soft pay wall. It’s no more of an epic journey than playing a freemium game that is built and designed to take advantage of behavioral economics and test your patience in order to manipulate you into spending money.

I did the entire precursor collection for The Legend in two days. The only component that would have stalled that process was gold, which I was fortunate enough to have a lot. If I didn’t, I could have just swiped a credit card and bought a ton of it to pay my way to the end, no different if I had just swiped a credit card to buy the old precursor off the market.

The main difference is in the current system, buying the old precursor says me money.

And the implementation of this and the development time required to create these collections that amount to a few hours of gameplay in between these large soft pay walls is what I believe is the culprit behind us not having any new Legendaries.

Because given everything else is already place and they are able to churn out FX driven skins and gliders on a monthly basis, it’s only element that would be a development time sink.

And that’s my last post on this topic.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

But a huge part of the fun of the new legendaries is the journey? This isn’t a solution, its a band-aid.

True, but the cut they have made is hemorrhaging players; it needs a band-aid.

Hopefully they can make a full fix at some point in the same way that they added crafting for the first set of weapons. In the meantime it is better to be able to create a new legandary weapon via the old method of mystic forge/crafting than to have to do without completely.

I’d rather see the new weapons via the old system than never see the new weapons.

I have to disagree with this. We waited an eternity to finally be able to craft our own precursors (and we paid for precursor crafting, or so we where lead to believe) so I would rather wait for the full experience than have the new Legendary weapons cheapened by adding the precursors to the drop tables. The scavenger hunt is content we where promised and they should deliver on it as a priority over the next expansion pack. If they don’t fix HoT properly I don’t see how they expect any of their long term customers to pay for another expansion. Even if it’s only one new Legendary every quarter, that should be enough to satisfy most of us.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

No need to re-read it as I don’t believe I am the one missing the point here.

You are.

You are narrating the crafting collections as being this epic journey that adds flavour to the legendary quests and removes the element of swiping credit cards.

They aren’t. I don’t perceive them that way and it’s based on actual experience crafting. What they actually are is a few hours of actually traveling the world to collect items in between very large soft pay walls.

Again, read my post. You clearly have not read it. All you’re doing is creating an argument that isn’t even mine as a result.

The major roadblocks of the collection itself was one absurdly troll item that was based heavily on RNG and overly tedious implementation of tasks, such as having to remove one item from my bank at a time to travel to a hero point, because if I had all the items I needed to charge at the hero point in my inventory, none of the dialog options for any of them would show up.

I’ve done precursor collections completely through (Dusk/Legend) and aboout 80% with just the first collection completed. None of them relied on an item that was heavy on RNG to me. You could make an argument about the cobalt salts but they really were not that bad. None of the tasks felt tedious to me either.

Which collection gave you an issue with the hero point?

When you block progress via demanding a very large quantity of in game items that take a very long time to grind out or grind out the in game currency required to purchase them and then have a seperate system where you can swipe a credit card to acquire in game currency, you have created a soft pay wall. It’s no more of an epic journey than playing a freemium game that is built and designed to take advantage of behavioral economics and test your patience in order to manipulate you into spending money.

Progress isn’t blocked. Each item you farm is one item closer to completing the collection. We knew well beforehand that the collections would have a cost to keep the process comparable to precursor prices on the TP. If you did not know that then you should have done some research about it. The journey portions are the first and third collections. You can also consider the 4th collection the same for the new legendary weapons.

I did the entire precursor collection for The Legend in two days. The only component that would have stalled that process was gold, which I was fortunate enough to have a lot. If I didn’t, I could have just swiped a credit card and bought a ton of it to pay my way to the end, no different if I had just swiped a credit card to buy the old precursor off the market.

There is a difference as the HoT legendary weapons require currency and of course cannot be bought. The old precursors require you to do things for the 1st and 3rd collection which you cannot buy. Yes, you can use a credit card but that’s really no different than most things in this game.

The main difference is in the current system, buying the old precursor says me money.

Depends on the precursor. Legend was cheaper to craft than buy.

And the implementation of this and the development time required to create these collections that amount to a few hours of gameplay in between these large soft pay walls is what I believe is the culprit behind us not having any new Legendaries.

Because given everything else is already place and they are able to churn out FX driven skins and gliders on a monthly basis, it’s only element that would be a development time sink.

And that’s my last post on this topic.

It’s likely the the first, third, and fourth collections that were hanging up the process for the new legendary weapons. The 2nd collection is essentially the same across all precursors.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

100% agree with the OP. Legendaries should be released. Remove the collections and add them to a similar process as the regular legendaries.

Legendaries are important to keep people interested in the game

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I honestly don’t understand why they can’t do both. Why not revert to the old system for the remainign legendaries which would at least allow them to be IN the game and then when you have time, work towards also doing the collection. Limiting it to one or the other seems a dead end for all the reason people mentioned.

It seems to me, the best, msot cost effective and practical solution is to do both.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This discussion hinges on one thing: how you define the ‘legendary weapons’ problem.

Firstly, I think Anet implemented crafting because they thought it’s what players wanted, otherwise they wouldn’t have done anything and just made new precursors and recipes for new legendaries with the old process.

Secondly, I don’t always believe that players know what they want or are honest about what they want. I really don’t think the majority of people wanted anything but an easier/cheaper/faster way to get a Legendary weapon and pushed the idea of crafting as a way to get that, being naive thinking it would give them the easier/cheaper/faster way they desired.

Therefore, I think the situation we are in, no one wins. Anet wasted lots of time implementing something players told them they wanted but didn’t and increased the work needed to make new legendaries.

I’m with the OP, conceptually. I think future development on new Legendary weapons should just go away, for good though. They little function beyond their Ascended weapon cousins and cosmetically, are unique because of footfalls, but not visual effects.

I think the solution is to offer ways to ‘earn’ the effects that Legendary weapon give and apply them to characters (I would love lava pools on my Condition Guardian or black holes for my theif). That’s a win IMO because it’s another level of visual customization, still gives endgame goals that legendaries do and may be a little simpler to implement for ‘earning’.

Mitch.4781

This discussion hinges on one thing: how you define the ‘legendary weapons’ problem.

Firstly, I think Anet implemented crafting because they thought it’s what players wanted, otherwise they wouldn’t have done anything and just made new precursors and recipes for new legendaries with the old process.

Secondly, I don’t always believe that players know what they want or are honest about what they want. I really don’t think the majority of people wanted anything but an easier/cheaper/faster way to get a Legendary weapon and pushed the idea of crafting as a way to get that, being naive thinking it would give them the easier/cheaper/faster way they desired.

Therefore, I think the situation we are in, no one wins. Anet wasted lots of time implementing something players told them they wanted but didn’t and increased the work needed to make new legendaries.

I’m with the OP, conceptually. I think future development on new Legendary weapons should just go away, for good though. They little function beyond their Ascended weapon cousins and cosmetically, are unique because of footfalls, but not visual effects.

I think the solution is to offer ways to ‘earn’ the effects that Legendary weapon give and apply them to characters (I would love lava pools on my Condition Guardian or black holes for my theif). That’s a win IMO because it’s another level of visual customization, still gives endgame goals that legendaries do and may be a little simpler to implement for ‘earning’.

But players DID want crafting. What they didn’t want was such a complex, time consuming, hideous gold sink. They boxed themselves into this by creating such a convoluted system.

NOBODY asked for that.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

But players DID want crafting. What they didn’t want was such a complex, time consuming, hideous gold sink. They boxed themselves into this by creating such a convoluted system.

NOBODY asked for that.

Speak for yourself.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

NOBODY asked for that.

Maybe idiots wanted free/nearly-free precursors. The gold sink had to be there, and anyone expecting otherwise don’t understand how legendaries and precursors work.

Mitch.4781

NOBODY asked for that.

Speak for yourself.

Take your own advice? I remember PAGES of old threads with people complaining about rng and how they never get a precursor. Players demanded a way to craft a pre. Anet delivered a complex system that now they admit didn’t work.

That isn’t speaking for myself. Those are the basic facts of the matter.

Ticky.5831

I remember PAGES of old threads with people complaining about rng and how they never get a precursor.

Fact.

Players demanded a way to craft a pre.

Fact

Anet delivered a complex system

Opinion.

complex

Value neutral. Subject to taste. Subject to perception based on cognitive skills.

that now they admit didn’t work.

False

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Obtena.7952

NOBODY asked for that.

See, I consider anyone that talks like that to be one of the people that fooled themselves into thinking they wanted crafting as a method to get easier/cheaper/faster way to get a Legendary weapon … because you DID get crafting.

If you wanted crafting and got it and complained about it, then there is some more significant underlying desire that doesn’t align with what Legendary crafting delivered. THAT is exactly what I’m saying when I say the the whole Legendary issue depends on how you define what’s wrong with it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Mitch.4781

I remember PAGES of old threads with people complaining about rng and how they never get a precursor.

Fact.

Players demanded a way to craft a pre.

Fact

Opinion.

complex

Value neutral. Subject to taste. Subject to perception based on cognitive skills.

that now they admit didn’t work.

False

Fact. Who says so? Anet…….

Mitch.4781

NOBODY asked for that.

See, I consider anyone that talks like that to be one of the people that fooled themselves into thinking they wanted crafting as a method to get easier/cheaper/faster way to get a Legendary weapon … because you DID get crafting.

If you wanted crafting and got it and complained about it, then there is some more significant underlying desire that doesn’t align with what Legendary crafting delivered. THAT is exactly what I’m saying when I say the the whole Legendary issue depends on how you define what’s wrong with it.

The fact that all Legendaries have been suspended pretty much says that Anet thought it wasn’t a good system, moreso than even the players.

End of story.

Obtena.7952

The fact is that it doesn’t matter if it’s complex or not … Anet delivered a crafting system that some (many, a few, all … again doesn’t matter) players indicated was a reasonable approach to ‘fixing’ legendaries. Stop getting hung up on words.

Ticky.5831

NOBODY asked for that.

The fact that all Legendaries have been suspended pretty much says that Anet thought it wasn’t a good system, moreso than even the players.

End of story.

CLEARLY, it’s not.

Also, responding to the above, complexity is a high value factor for some MMO players. Which is why I said speak for yourself.

Mitch.4781

NOBODY asked for that.

End of story.

CLEARLY, it’s not.

Also, responding to the above, complexity is a high value factor for some MMO players. Which is why I said speak for yourself.

Yeah you’re missing the point. Clearly.

Nvm eh

Obtena.7952

NOBODY asked for that.

End of story.

Hold on … Anet suspending Legendary development should not lead anyone to conclude that Anet thinks Legendary crafting isn’t a good system. Regardless, that discussion is academic; whether it is or is not the reason, doesn’t have much to do with the topic at hand.

I don’t see where Anet can go with Legendaries as a category of gear, be it weapons armor or anything else. It just doesn’t add much to the game compared to other tiers and when considering what players want. As a player that wants the most visual customization options, Legendaries are not an ideal situation; I like footfalls, I don’t like them tied to specific skins. Once you ‘settle’ for whatever effect/skin you get, your left with a weapon equivalent in performance to Ascended.

(edited by Obtena.7952)