Getting these through Chat?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mouse.1024

Mouse.1024

This is the second time I’ve gotten this as a whisper. The first time, I noticed the Black Lion Trading company window had this exact same text in small letters and in black (sadly I closed it and forgot to screenshot).

So my question is, what are they trying to attempt to do? Add text to my windows?

Attachments:

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Looks like someone messed up a character maybe so it didn’t turn up the right way.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Just looks like they pasted formatted text (like from a word program) and the game’s engine displayed the formatting raw.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Mouse.1024

But why would it come up on my end of the screen? (Such as the Black Lion Trading Post)

That exact text came up in very small letters on the actual window!

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

That’s code for a web page. You can see the <html>, and <head> tags, among others, which are HTML, while the body{…}, h1{…}, etc. bits inside the <style> tag are CSS statements used to control font formatting.

Of course, you can’t use HTML/CSS in chat, so you end up seeing all that junk (which is usually hidden on a web page) and they run out of characters before they even get to the page content, which they probably intended for you to see. I’m going to guess it’s gold selling, but completely incompetent gold selling.

Probably just a copy-paste job of an existing advertisement, if I had to guess, with no thought for whether it would make any sense in GW2.

I don’t suppose you have a screenshot of it showing up in the BLTP window? That sounds more unusual. The Trading Post window is actually a sort of website embedded into the game using the Awesomium HTML UI engine, which is part of why it sometimes updates or behaves strangely. It’s likely the text showing up in the Trading Post window was the result of an error or bug. Did it have the <title> tag with the Chinese characters in it, like the whispered message did?

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Mouse.1024

No I was unable to take a screenshot (I closed it after I noticed it embedded and panicked).

It only had said “Verdana” in small black print with a few other lines on the Black Lion trading post window