Getting upset with outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vocah.1208

Vocah.1208

Hello.

So, there have been more and more OUTFITS coming out lately. Some of which look amazing, some of which’s parts look amazing. My question to you, ANet, stands; why do you love losing business so pointlessly?

I would have bought at least THREE by now, had they been actual armor skins, because I could mix-n-match and become even more unique and awesome. But they’re silly little all-or-nothing outfits and that is just so pointless in my opinion, reduces sales and, honestly, I can’t think of a good reason for their existence.

Anyone else share this mindset?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

They have explained why. You don’t believe it or agree with it doesn’t change things.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

@Yargesh: Why?

Doen’t matter to me either way. I just don’t buy the outfits, so it doesn’t bother me. Yeah, i wish they’d make armor sets, but meh. Greed Wars 2 is Greed Wars 2, so what can ya do? lol

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

/shrug. I like outfits. I’ve bought several so far.

1) free transmutation
2) available to all races and levels, can put on your low level for a nice appearance while leveling.
3) can switch looks in an instant

Armor fills one niche and outfits another. I don’t expect outfits to do the exact same thing as armor does. Each as its strengths and weaknesses.

Yargesh.4965

They can model with outfits ten times (once per species and male/female) rather than 150 times ( each species armour weight sex).
doesn’t include modelling weapons as well.

Vocah.1208

They could make one of each for every set that comes out then. How is that not several times better?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Let’s do imaginary math.

• The team of designers has 100 hours.
  • In 100 hours, they can create 4 universal outfits.
  • In 100 hours, they can create 1 armour skin with variations for 3 armour classes and tweaks for all races.
  • Each outfit will sell 10’000 times, which makes 40’000 sells.
  • Each armour skin will sell 30’000 times, which makes 30’000 sells.
  • If the outfit costs the same as the skin, it’s more cost-efficient to make outfits than skins.

Of course real numbers are different, but the idea is the same.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Let’s do imaginary math.

• In 100 hours, they can create 1 armour skin with variations for 3 armour classes and tweaks for all races.
  • If the outfit costs the same as the skin, it’s more cost-efficient to make outfits than skins.

you forgot to add the transmutation charges that most likely eventually will be used and somebody gotta pay for them too. If you give people skin pieces to work with they gonna play arround.. combine, make new looks and transmute their armors. If you give them an outfit.. well they wont do any of that, they slap it on, colour it how they like it and call it a day. Imo skins would make a lot more sence in the longrun if you talk about benefits

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

Vocah.1208

You do realize they have to tweak all races for the outfits as well, right? It’s just about the armour classes. And they could release the same one, if they can do so with the outfits, why not with armours?

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

You do realize they have to tweak all races for the outfits as well, right? It’s just about the armour classes. And they could release the same one, if they can do so with the outfits, why not with armours?

actually that was explained with clipping and cut off seams between bottom and top area. I personally call BS on it.. but thats what they said lol

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

/shrug. I like outfits. I’ve bought several so far.

1) free transmutation
2) available to all races and levels, can put on your low level for a nice appearance while leveling.
3) can switch looks in an instant

Armor fills one niche and outfits another. I don’t expect outfits to do the exact same thing as armor does. Each as its strengths and weaknesses.

^this. I like being able to change my looks on characters i’m leveling without wasting transmutation charges.

Vocah.1208

Well, most people who play high lvls prefer armor skins. There’s literally no reason one set can’t be both.

Lishtenbird.2814

you forgot to add the transmutation charges that most likely eventually will be used and somebody gotta pay for them too. If you give people skin pieces to work with they gonna play arround.. combine, make new looks and transmute their armors. If you give them an outfit.. well they wont do any of that, they slap it on, colour it how they like it and call it a day. Imo skins would make a lot more sence in the longrun if you talk about benefits

Transmutation charges drop like trash now. I did have to buy some a year ago, but now I’m sitting at 30+ charges after equipping 6 characters, and I’m pretty sure new players won’t have to. So this is a minor income, and I’m sure it is a part of the calculation anyway.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

This is just a casual matter that people disagree upon, no actual point of re-working the whole system again.

What’s more important perhaps is that… well, maybe more in-game skins? I don’t know if I am the only one, but eventhough most people who play the game can get skins from the gemstore by exchanging gold, it doesn’t feel as rewarding. It surely brings more money to the company this way but perhaps some new skins implemented in the game would make the experience refereshing from now to then.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well, most people who play high lvls prefer armor skins. There’s literally no reason one set can’t be both.

There is a reason. It takes so much longer to create armor than an outfit that we’d have a lot less of them, and people who like outfits would be waiting longer. Because creating them both would take as much time as it takes to make both an outfit and armor.

Anet has come out with carapace armor, and luminscent armor, plus the new PvP armor, all of which you can get by playing the game. They simply haven’t put it in the cash shop.

Players have been asking for them to put an armor set in the game without putting in the cash shop for a long long time.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I hate to break this to you, but if they were armor skins they wouldn’t work the way you (and everyone else who makes this topic) think they would. The armor weights are incompatible, so either they’d have to make three versions of the same set (sold seperately for 800 gems apiece, like the existing armor sets) or they’d lock each outfit skin to a single armor weight.

Vocah.1208

How do they work as outfits, then, on all weight classes?

I love the logic I’m getting; ‘’it takes time and effort’’. By that logic, they can make wooden weapons, which would mean a new set of weapons every few days and people would be happy?

Quality OVER quantity!

Yargesh.4965

Ah yes the “it’s easy” mentality.

Lishtenbird.2814

My guess is that they’re a 4th weight class which just replaces your own weight class when you equip the outfit. This works since there are no race/gender restrictions for classes. (Why town clothes can’t be converted to outfits is a different question…)

I love the logic I’m getting; ‘’it takes time and effort’’. By that logic, they can make wooden weapons, which would mean a new set of weapons every few days and people would be happy?

Quality OVER quantity!

Exaggeration is not an argument.

Yes, many people would like more skins. But some outfits are also good, they have their advantages (for one, I can use them on alts while leveling and look pretty; for two, they require no charges and do not destroy my usual skins).

That’s just a question of balance, and indeed, many people would like more skins. But it doesn’t also mean that no one would ever want outfits, and all of them should be destroyed and never created. Plus, some, like women’s elegant dress, are a single piece and won’t even have anything to combine with.

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

The people claiming it takes 3+ times as long to make the outfit into armors don’t realize that no one’s asking for different heavy/mid/light/racial looks, but the simple ability to equip the individual pieces separately. Unless they have some funky really badly programmed system it really shouldn’t take much longer to create the separate armor items than one of the current outfits. Either way, their bad – by making them outfits they’ve lost out on me buying at least 4 of them so far. Sux 2 b u anet.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Quality OVER quantity!

If I understand it correctly, the Outfits are a single piece that can be stretched and reshaped for each sex and race. So that would pretty much be ten outfits made.

With the armor, there are six separate pieces, that have to be stretched and reshaped for each sex and race. So that’s sixty different armor pieces that have to be made.

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Quality OVER quantity!

I think what’s being missed here is that every armor set has to be tested and designed so each piece correctly interacts/fits with every other piece in that weight class. That is why outfits work, they only have to interact with themselves. It’s all or nothing, and they only need to make it work as an individual set. When you can mix and match the work multiplies exponentially due to clipping issues and the like, so pushing for more armor sets more frequently could only lead to simple reskins that require no further testing and no one wants that.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Lishtenbird.2814

Unless they have some funky really badly programmed system it really shouldn’t take much longer to create the separate armor items than one of the current outfits.

Unfortunately they do. As mentioned in discussions about town clothes and trenchcoats (I guess), they have very different “seam lines” for different classes which make existing armour mixable within the class, but also prohibit inter-class mixing.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I don’t mind the outfits at all I’m perfectly okay with how they are now.

But I would like to request for Anet make it possible to toggle the shoulder and glove parts of the outfits, just like the helmet can be turned on and off. You can toggle the gloves and shoulders of all the armors on/off so why not on the outfits?

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

All race ? Tails are still glitching on Charrs…. Even on the “new” outfit.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-outfit-Old-glitch/first#post4629454

So…. “available to all races” maybe, but not suitable for all races.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, we have another outfit. Not a huge deal.

It looks like that shaman datamined some new armor skins (not outfits) recently. And the one charr that he pulled out actually took the tail into consideration. So we might have a new armor set out soon-ish (maybe?).

And from the most recent datamining, it looks like they are looking at harvesting tools that have a chance of giving snowflakes (similar to the watchwork pick)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Lishtenbird.2814

And from the most recent datamining, it looks like they are looking at harvesting tools that have a chance of giving snowflakes (similar to the watchwork pick)

These are already in the game, drops or bought from vendors. Thanks god they’re not from Gemstore – the Watchwork thread most likely saved us.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

These are already in the game, drops or bought from vendors. Thanks god they’re not from Gemstore – the Watchwork thread most likely saved us.

Cool. I missed their implementation. Will have to find them.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

An old thread about the end of town clothes and the start of outfits (Source) said that outfits allowed an ability to have highly stylized looks that aren’t constrained to armor slots or weight class and would be difficult to bring to all the armor classes because of constraints in how the different classes are made and how the dye channels are set up. As a fourth armor class it’s free of these restrictions.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Let’s do imaginary math.

No the idea is not the same. When the numbers get real, so does the idea. At this point the idea is as imaginary as your math.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I expect and appreciate outfits for holidays….but once we’re past the holiday season here (Halloween/wintersday). I would really like a couple more armor skins. Okay, just one for each weight class would be nice. It doesn’t even have to be the same look for all three weight classes (it shouldn’t be).

Something nice for heavies (people will argue skimpy- not skimpy….just make it the same for male AND female)

Something without a long coat for medium armor. Heck, something with blue jeans and a vest and some sort of button up shirt (i.e. Wrangler/Cowboy Armor)

I would like something for light that had like Yoga pants/gaucho pants and a flowy shirt…..could call it Chic Armor or (I have no idea)