Ghastly grinning shield.

Ghastly grinning shield.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

Is their any chance at all this skin will become available again sometime before or after the release of HOT. I never got it back in 2012 and i’m really upset that its unlikely I ever will. I think its time to give some of us who don’t have it a chance to earn it again.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

100 of those were raffled last halloween.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I hope they raffle again. Last year the raffle was the main factor in preventing the Halloween content from “dying” due to poor rewards.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

100 of those were raffled last halloween.

only 100….thats not good odds for me

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i hope they don’t re-add the 2012 halloween skins.
what they should do is add NEW one-time rewards.

if they ever made the skins obtainable again i’d feel so disheartened with the sheer lack of prestigious items available in this game.

one-time “i was there” rewards are a very good thing in MMOs.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

i hope they don’t re-add the 2012 halloween skins.
what they should do is add NEW one-time rewards.

if they ever made the skins obtainable again i’d feel so disheartened with the sheer lack of prestigious items available in this game.

one-time “i was there” rewards are a very good thing in MMOs.

How about both? Mexican music plays

Seriously though I think the raffle is a great idea as long as each account (or even better each IP) has one chance at it. 100 skins is a veeeery small number in an MMO.

The Sickest Guild NA

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

One-time awards like this are terrible for the majority of players. I hope ArenaNet never creates more one-tidme content like that. What I recommend is making an epic scavrnger hunt where players go out into the game world and do stuff to earn said skin.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Kruczek.3865

Kruczek.3865

One-time awards like this are terrible for the majority of players. I hope ArenaNet never creates more one-tidme content like that. What I recommend is making an epic scavrnger hunt where players go out into the game world and do stuff to earn said skin.

I don’t agree with that. Imo it’s awesome when there are some extremely rare items in game and their amount is finite. I have Mini Karka and i love this item – mainly because it’s pretty rare. If there would be 1000 crows(black winged skinny thief human females) with Karkas in DR i would sell it instantly. Rarity of items makes you want them.

When Grinning Shield was relatively cheap(i had one but sold it :S) noone cared, it was just another skin. Now when it’s price is 4000+ k gold and the only way to obtain it is to pay that much – everyone(my friends and guildies) talks about this item and how badly they want it.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

I don’t agree with that. Imo it’s awesome when there are some extremely rare items in game and their amount is finite. I have Mini Karka and i love this item – mainly because it’s pretty rare. If there would be 1000 crows(black winged skinny thief human females) with Karkas in DR i would sell it instantly. Rarity of items makes you want them.

When Grinning Shield was relatively cheap(i had one but sold it :S) noone cared, it was just another skin. Now when it’s price is 4000+ k gold and the only way to obtain it is to pay that much – everyone(my friends and guildies) talks about this item and how badly they want it.

finally someone gets it!
i don’t know a single successful MMO that doesn’t have prestigious one-time rewards.
WoW does a great job with them.
its just a shame that GW2 can never seem to do it…

i have the Tribal set and Greatsaw and i know its just a matter of time before both become utterly bland and commonplace, just like the “legendaries” that everyone has.
i’d even place my bets that Tribal becomes a generic vendor armour set in HoTs.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

i don’t know a single successful MMO that doesn’t have prestigious one-time rewards.

Guildwars 1.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

That raffle was scam. They gave it to some people but it wasnt at random. I didnt get it and I raffled.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

That raffle was scam. They gave it to some people but it wasnt at random. I didnt get it and I raffled.

So, it’s a scam if you didn’t get it?

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

Guildwars 1.

until GW2s release gw1 had different rewards each year for the special events like halloween.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

Guildwars 1.

until GW2s release gw1 had different rewards each year for the special events like halloween.

The point still stands-apart from the pre-order/collectors edition, the west didn’t get any ingame onetime events.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

This man gets it.

I love my shield and Karka because they are rare and not because I like their look.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Kruczek.3865

Kruczek.3865

Guildwars 1.

There were special rewards like minis for winning tournaments. Their prices were so huge i can’t even imagine anyone who could farm that much money. Grinning Shield is a joke compared to them.

I hope they don’t re-add the 2012 halloween skins.

I hope the same. Adding them would just break the market. Also there should be items like that – they make you feel like it was worth to play this game long time ago. Adding them would break this feeling.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

Guildwars 1.

The point still stands-apart from the pre-order/collectors edition, the west didn’t get any ingame onetime events.

the point kinda doesn’t stand though lol,
pretty much all of the ingame event had one-time rewards.
for seven years you’d get unique one-time items every xmas, halloween and dragon festival.

back then players just learnt to accept that if they weren’t playing for an event then they wouldn’t get rewards from that event.

its actually a good hook to keep people playing, play so you don’t miss a one-time item you want and then once you have that item you want to play more with it because its rather special since noone will be getting it in the future.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Guildwars 1.

And GW2.

There isnt really much prestige associated with the rarer rewards in GW2.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

That skin is one of the best in the world… it needs to be added again, it is truly an amazing skin its a worst for it not to be reused.

SAB or RIOT

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Save up and buy one.

Back in 2012, everyone didn’t just get one of these for playing at the time…. and if you wanted the skins, and you didn’t get one as a drop, you had to buy it from the trading post.

The skins were always expensive.

save up your money.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

They might do a raffle every year for those.

I don’t agree with removing skins completely from the game forever. If that’s the case they should remove them from the TP too, if an item is not coming back ever remove them all from the game or make them account bound / soul bound. Why let them be added on the TP at silly prices? The TP is already getting filled at the top of the list with ugly skins that just don’t drop anymore.

Re-adding skins every so often will be good to revitalize those items, obviously super rare items shouldn’t be given to everyone, but not giving some items anymore after all these years is not a good thing either.

Oh and if only to ruin the “market” for those and make those who post them at high prices lose 4k+ gold it will be well worth it to re-add them.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

Re-adding skins every so often will be good to revitalize those items.

its not a plant, you don’t need to revitalize it…
its more akin to a picasso painting, immensely valued because of its rarity.
it was made a long time ago and no more will be made, this make them prestigious.

asking to have old one-time rewards re-added is like asking to reanimate Picasso and get him to churn out paintings so you can buy them in your wallmart for 1,99.
farewell prestige.

Ghastly grinning shield.

maddoctor.2738

its not a plant, you don’t need to revitalize it…
it was made a long time ago and no more will be made, this make them prestigious.

asking to have old one-time rewards re-added is like asking to reanimate Picasso and get him to churn out paintings so you can buy them in your wallmart for 1,99.
farewell prestige.

The idea is to re-introduce the items but not give them to everyone so their prestige remains high, but they aren’t out of reach anymore.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

4500g is not out of reach, that is the cost of buying two cheap legendaries

Ghastly grinning shield.

maddoctor.2738

Yeah but you can forge those legendary weapons using your own resources. Can’t compare a single skin with a legendary.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

this^

would you want to do a very very very long quest and then craft the skin?
because you pretty much can.

craft Eternity, sell eternity, congrats on your new skin.
they’re still obtainable, but i doubt anyone wanting skins to be reintroduced is actually willing to work for them.
(the way the rest of us worked for them)

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Ghastly grinning shield.

maddoctor.2738

this^

would you want to do a very very very long quest and then craft the skin?
because you pretty much can.

craft Eternity, sell eternity, congrats on your new skin.
they’re still obtainable, but i doubt anyone wanting skins to be reintroduced is actually willing to work for them.
(the way the rest of us worked for them)

The rest of you worked on them? How exactly did you work on them? buy a lot at 70g and then wait 3 years until they are 4500g? So much work there!

Ghastly grinning shield.

Ashen.2907

its not a plant, you don’t need to revitalize it...

farewell prestige.

Picassos prestige comes from the mastery exhibited by the creator. There is nothing comparable in game. Rarity alone does not create prestige (I might be able to scrounge up a scrap book with some one of a kind macaroni art from second grade that Id be willing to sell if you disagree).The ability to get a shield skin by swiping my credit card pretty much ensures that there is no more prestige associated with it than owning a comparable gem/gold value of character slots.

If a skin required skill to get comparable to Picasso’s then there would be prestige associated with owning it. Something that merely requires being in the right place at the right time, or that you buy the game a few months earlier than someone else, or that you spend birthday money that you got from grandma on gems to be converted to gold, or that you are single and working full time so you can afford to spend more money on a game, or that you spend more time doing chest runs in SW, etc is not prestigious.

Also, in order to maintain current levels of rarity for existing items such as the shield there must be more added to the game because the current supply dwindles as players who have them leave.

Rarity does no

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

You should look up the meaning and origin of the word prestige. It comes from the latin word for illusion and delusion. So calling this shield prestige is fitting. Prestige does not come exclusively from skill. It can come from anything you want.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

Yeah but you can forge those legendary weapons using your own resources. Can’t compare a single skin with a legendary.

And legendaries are only valuable because they need a massive amount of resources. I would not mind if the shield would cost as much as Eternity to craft if that is your suggestion.

Ghastly grinning shield.

maddoctor.2738

And legendaries are only valuable because they need a massive amount of resources. I would not mind if the shield would cost as much as Eternity to craft if that is your suggestion.

The shield isn’t the same because it never required a massive amount of resources. Going from a low amount of requirements to a massive amount is unreasonable.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

The shield isn’t the same because it never required a massive amount of resources. Going from a low amount of requirements to a massive amount is unreasonable.

It never was craftable so if it would become one it should become harder than a legendary to make. It always was behind by a large RNG wall. Either from Black lion chests or the Halloween 2012 mini dungeon or the raffle. All 3 had a very low chance to get them. Making it suddenly easy to get just because a few people want it badly would be a silly idea.

Ghastly grinning shield.

maddoctor.2738

It never was craftable so if it would become one it should become harder than a legendary to make. It always was behind by a large RNG wall. Either from Black lion chests or the Halloween 2012 mini dungeon or the raffle. All 3 had a very low chance to get them. Making it suddenly easy to get just because a few people want it badly would be a silly idea.

Who said about easy? Give it the same RNG for all I care. By that logic after HoT is released and with the map rewards players will be able to farm semi-reliably Giant Eyes, should they make Immobulus cost 1500 giant eyes so it keeps its prestige?

Ghastly grinning shield.

Liewec.2896

The rest of you worked on them? How exactly did you work on them? buy a lot at 70g and then wait 3 years until they are 4500g? So much work there!

no, i spent months of hardcore grinding world bosses nearly every day and in-between that i was gathering ore and omnomberries…
it was mind numbing but well worth it,
because if you really want something extremely rare and it is still available in game that is what you do.

Picassos prestige comes from the mastery exhibited by the creator.

ofcourse it does,

send me your millions at once and i’ll draw you a blue square on a white triangle.
like this masterful work from picasso.

fact is if you showed someone this “art” they wouldn’t be impressed, but if you told someone you had an original piece of Picasso’s work they’d realise its value.
because only a finite amount was made, and a long time has gone since it was.

also i’d call the Greatsaw a far more beautiful piece of finite art.

Attachments:

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

Yes that picasso picture looks like junk to me. I think art is dead ever since expressionism was invented. Art went downhill ever since then.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

This man gets it.

I love my shield and Karka because they are rare and not because I like their look.

You may be shedding some tears or rage quitting when the Pact mastery vendor appears.

Sadly Anet doesn’t have a good track record when it comes to making previously unavailable items available again.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

Considering the main source for this shield and Karka were from gemshop sales, I would be very suprised if they would make them available for Karma. It would make them from the most rare stuff to the most common stuff because people like me have 10m++ karma on their hands.
Also I wont shed any tears, I am more of an angry/vengeful person. If I dont like what Anet is doing I will simply stop spending a 4 digit amount per year on this game.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Break the market? When they gave us a chance to get 1 from 100, after the event ended the price went even higher. Or perhaps this is what u’ve wanted to say about breaking the market?

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Ghastly grinning shield.

Ashen.2907

You should look up the meaning and origin of the word prestige. It comes from the latin word for illusion and delusion..

You should look up the meaning of the word, “Latin.” It is not synonymous with, “English,” the language we are using here on these forums. A word’s meaning in another language is not necessarily relevant if the English usage of the word is different. For example sinister does not mean left handed in English.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Malediktus.9250

You should look up the meaning and origin of the word prestige. It comes from the latin word for illusion and delusion..

You should look up the meaning of the word, “Latin.” It is not synonymous with, “English,” the language we are using here on these forums. A word’s meaning in another language is not necessarily relevant if the English usage of the word is different. For example sinister does not mean left handed in English.

But a lot of words got imported from latin. It is not my fault if some ignorant people changed the meaning and other people adobted the new meaning out of even more ignorance.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

You can’t reason with people who start arguing “prestige.” Their snowflake ridges get extra prickly.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Did this person just say “it’s only the price of two of the most expensive items in the game put together” like this is supposed to be some trivial cost, or am I missing something? Because the sheer lack of perspective here is unbelievable.

Ghastly grinning shield.

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

Liadri mini is prestigious; it shows you completed a range of challenging fights and some degree of competence in GW2’s combat.

Ghastly Grinning Shield is not; it shows you grind for gold, have a lot of real world money to burn, or you sacrificed a quaggan calf to RNGesus.

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"