Giant Eyes

Giant Eyes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Why are they so rare?

I want to craft the Immobulus scepter but it requires 250 Giant Eyes, which only come from Heavy Moldy Bags. I pretty much lived in Orr from release up until the nerf, accumulating thousands of HMB’s, but in over a year of playing GW2 I’ve only seen at most 7 Giant Eyes.

They are over 1g each on the TP, and today just to see how much a straight up buy would be, I typed in to buy 250 of them, it was over 500g. Isn’t that a bit steep for an item of Exotic quality? 250 Giant Eyes, 250 Crystaline Dust. Now that we have Ascended (which can be made for much, much cheaper) shouldn’t some of the harder to get Exotics become slightly… easier to get?

Increase the Giant Eye drop rates please!

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It’s also strange how all over the map the recipe requirements are for them. Depending on what you’re crafting, you need 1, 10, 30, or 250 of them. o__o

It’s a pity, because Immobolus is such an attractive scepter. Immobolus is probably the worst case, but I feel like this applies to a lot of Mystic Coin recipes; they seem to pick a lot of one moderately expensive ingredient, which ultimately makes crafting that item more trouble than it’s worth. Starting out, I thought Mystic Coins would come in handy later, but I’m sitting on several hundred of them with very little usefulness or value.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Agreed, I’m sitting on over 2 stacks of mystic coins and I wanted to create something not-often-seen by many players that’s a forge recipe, and Immobulus looked pretty good for a mesmer. I saw the requirements and 250 Giant Eyes is a bit over the top.

I farmed Orr probably as much as the OP did, opened HMB’s and never found one Giant Eye. I thought I was farming in the wrong area for them, but since they can only be acquired through bags and not as direct drops, it makes them a little harder to acquire than what should be reasonable.

I think it should be a given that once you kill a giant that you should stand to have a ‘reasonable’ chance of getting an eye. You don’t make something rare for the sake of having it rare, it just makes no sense to farm if you can’t get what you’re farming for.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

When I made my immobulus the giant eyes were far too difficult. I had to buy them, which is a struggle in itself, because sometimes the supply is lower than the requirements for a single weapon. So you could buy out the entire stock and still not get the weapon.

If the recipe is to say the same, I agree that it should be ascended given the cost. However, I think anet wants ascended weapons to all be time gated, so either you have to spend thousands of gold on a legendary or do the crafting. Which takes forever!

Immobulus is such a rare weapon. You see so few people with it. This makes me happy sort of, because I do like the fact that my toon is a special snowflake.

However, I think they really should have a decrease in crafting cost. I think 100 giant eyes would be plenty hard, while not be completely bank breaking.

Good luck on your immobulus though, it’s so lovely!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think that Giant Eyes should be a guaranteed drop from killing Giants or Risen Giants, much like how Veteran Karka always drop a Karka Shell. Given how rare Giants/Risen Giants are, I think this would increase supply, but not excessively so to a point where it’d crash the market.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I think that Giant Eyes should be a guaranteed drop from killing Giants or Risen Giants, much like how Veteran Karka always drop a Karka Shell. Given how rare Giants/Risen Giants are, I think this would increase supply, but not excessively so to a point where it’d crash the market.

I like this idea

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I created an Immobulus last year (my Lucky Charms of DOOM!) and I got more Giant Eyes from killing Basilisks than I ever got from Heavy Moldy Bags. In fact I think I’ve only ever got maybe 2 or 3 from the bags.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Really? What level Basilisks and in which maps? I’ve killed plenty of Basilisks in the lower level maps while mapping, but no Giant Eyes from them ever.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Higher level Basilisks, you won’t get them from low level maps. Also note that it’s not Giant’s Eye but Giant Eye.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s also strange how all over the map the recipe requirements are for them. Depending on what you’re crafting, you need 1, 10, 30, or 250 of them. o__o

It’s a pity, because Immobolus is such an attractive scepter. Immobolus is probably the worst case, but I feel like this applies to a lot of Mystic Coin recipes; they seem to pick a lot of one moderately expensive ingredient, which ultimately makes crafting that item more trouble than it’s worth. Starting out, I thought Mystic Coins would come in handy later, but I’m sitting on several hundred of them with very little usefulness or value.

There are quite a few that are much worse. The title of worst probably goes to Mjolnir. It cost 800+g to make.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Good to see others feel the same. Congrats to those who have made the Immobulus already, it really is a sexy scepter! The wiki doesn’t say anything about Basilisks dropping them http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Giant_Eye but thanks, I’ll check that out. Mount Maelstrom, yes?

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

(edited by tomlin.8204)

Giant Eyes

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’ve been trying to farm these Giant Eyes in the Gorlois Spine of the Ashen Waste area of Mt Maelstrom. The wiki says these are the highest level basilisks around. I’ve farmed 3 days so far at 2 hours+ each time, best I’ve gotten so far was a rare rifle drop, but no Giant Eyes.

Are these the ones I should be farming or is it some other level of Basilisks?

PS: these basilisks aren’t the most loot-friendly creatures, even with MF boosts. They barely drop anything at all.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If you don’t want to farm it, and aren’t in a big hurry, I would honestly suggest running one dungeon explore path every day and using that 1g to buy an eye. You could scale this to more paths per day if you really wanted to. But doing a CoF p1 run each day would at the very least get you what you needed in 250 days.

It’s very easy to run AC p1, p3, and CoF p1, p2 every day. With a good group you can complete all 4 in a little over an hour. That’s at minimum 4g/day which would get you 250 eyes in a couple of months. Not the best, but at least it’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Giant Eyes

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Yeah well running dungeons doesn’t really float my boat, never has.. I’m more of a farmer and like to keep myself afloat on the profits of what I’ve farmed. That said, this is more of a want than a need, I’d really like to get my alt a decent weapon, and the one I have in mind involves giant eyes.

I mean I can go with other skins but it’s more the drive of getting something that’s rare and something that I want to have farmed and achieved myself rather than buying off others. I haven’t checked the TP lately, but giant eyes can’t be that popular if they’re hard to farm (or get from bags).

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I bought mine outright about a month ago- thank the gods I only needed 10 instead of a stack!
the only drop I ever had was back at launch- and I remember thinking what is this? oh it is cheap just get rid of it.

Gunnar’s Hold

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yeah well running dungeons doesn’t really float my boat, never has.. I’m more of a farmer and like to keep myself afloat on the profits of what I’ve farmed. That said, this is more of a want than a need, I’d really like to get my alt a decent weapon, and the one I have in mind involves giant eyes.

I mean I can go with other skins but it’s more the drive of getting something that’s rare and something that I want to have farmed and achieved myself rather than buying off others. I haven’t checked the TP lately, but giant eyes can’t be that popular if they’re hard to farm (or get from bags).

Well, all I can say is that sometimes you have to do things that don’t necessarily float your boat to get what you want. The only other alternative is to keep trying to farm basilisks and/or farm something else that you can liquidate into money to buy eyes. CoF p1 can be done in under 10min with practice. You can’t beat that kind of time/money ratio.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’ve been trying to farm these Giant Eyes in the Gorlois Spine of the Ashen Waste area of Mt Maelstrom. The wiki says these are the highest level basilisks around. I’ve farmed 3 days so far at 2 hours+ each time, best I’ve gotten so far was a rare rifle drop, but no Giant Eyes.

Are these the ones I should be farming or is it some other level of Basilisks?

PS: these basilisks aren’t the most loot-friendly creatures, even with MF boosts. They barely drop anything at all.

Well there are lv80 Basilisks in the WvW borderlands near one of the ruins but that isn’t a great place to farm and there are only 2 or 3.

Giant Eyes

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

I bought GE off TP and had to compete with the other buyers(buy order).

IMO, farming GE is almost like saying I am going to farm a precursor. It took million players to get some drops which mean trying to farm 250 GE by yourself is like an impossible dream.

All is vain.