Gift of exploration and legendaries

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Isilhgaard.4013

Isilhgaard.4013

So, I am required to explore all 4 maps in WvW to obtain a “gift of exploration” if I want to craft a legendary weapon. I play PVE not WvW! Why do we not have a choice to just explore the PVE world? I am not going to spend time struggling in ‘pvp’ mode to get a weapon I want to use in PVE. Note : I am not bashing WvW or the people who enjoy it.

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

So, I am required to explore all 4 maps in WvW to obtain a “gift of exploration” if I want to craft a legendary weapon. I play PVE not WvW! Why do we not have a choice to just explore the PVE world? I am not going to spend time struggling in ‘pvp’ mode to get a weapon I want to use in PVE. Note : I am not bashing WvW or the people who enjoy it.

you also need 500 badges of honor so whats your point?
follow a karma train and eventually you will reach all the maps.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

Isilhgaard.4013

Do away with that too!

Isilhgaard.4013

Btw, this is Devona’s Rest server. Lol! And no, I shouldn’t have to swap servers either.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Welcome to the club.

You know what I noticed? Dungeons have POIs. Why aren’t these required? They’re actual parts of the PvE game. WvW is a PvP mini game. An optional PvP mini game. WvW isn’t part of PvE. Know what else? PvP has POIs but those aren’t required.

Anet has yet to give a decent answer as to why players are forced into WvW for this but yet PvP and Dungeon POIs aren’t needed. Why on earth there are vistas and skill points in an area where some kitten is likely to gank you even if you’re naked, unarmed and kneeling so he can boost his e-ego in the first place?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Isilhgaard.4013

How much difference does it make to have a legendary if you play in low level content/areas? Doesn’t the level scaling negate the awesomeness? That’s a question I’ve seen in-game.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

How much difference does it make to have a legendary if you play in low level content/areas? Doesn’t the level scaling negate the awesomeness? That’s a question I’ve seen in-game.

They still look cool and impress the kids in Queensdale.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It doesn’t negate it – you are visibly stronger than someone at the area level (with appropriate gear). Of course, lot of legendaries do not have that much awesomeness to negate anyway…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

On the flip side, why do WvW players need to run dungeons and complete PvE maps to get their legendaries?

Answer: Becoming legendary requires playing all aspects of the game.

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

On the flip side, why do WvW players need to run dungeons and complete PvE maps to get their legendaries?

This simplifies it, if you don’t want to do WvW in order to get your legendary you have to propose some ideas to allow the WvW’ers to also get them without going to PvE (since you know, the ones who do WvW have the worst part of this deal).

If you have a legendary it means that you have done almost every aspect of the game, this includes getting your hands dirty and kill some foes for your server

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Wvw exploration is a necessary part map completion for the same reason Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood were required for it in GW1.

Anet considers it to be a part of the pve environment. That is all the reason they need to give honestly.

It doesn’t make me happy, but I accept it and deal with it if completion is what I am after.

Edit: And I’d like to point out that people have cried for having JQ and FA removed from map completion for gw1 too, and it never happened. So, I wouldn’t hold your breath for it here. (Unless you would like to turn blue and randomly pass out…at which point, by all means go for it)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Except For sPvP or Dungeons, with the P.O.I.
Or Gems → Gold your way to legendary. (requires legendary credit card?)
Or Champ Zerg Train for money to buy legendary. (requires legendary patience?

Better luck next time.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Isilhgaard.4013

Now tell me the liklihood of getting that %100 map completion again…

DR is elite! LOL!

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

Karizee.8076

Now tell me the liklihood of getting that %100 map completion again…

DR is elite! LOL!

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

It’s less about their overall ranking and more about how they do in the matches each week. Here is your server’s history.

http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/50

As you can see they have their shares of ups and downs as do all servers. But there have been many times when they’ve come out in first place, and the starting maps change fairly often.

There’s a live map button on that link that you can watch to see if a particular POI or vista you want is claimed by your server.

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Aerlen.5326

So getting a Legendary involves sPvP too?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

(edited by Aerlen.5326)

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This complaint again, seriously?
You have 4 maps with, let’s face it, not much on them to get. You don’t even have to engage in PvP if you go at the right times and watch what your servers doing. PvE and WvW are not seperate entities.
Besides look at it from the other way, WvW players who don’t like PvE have a hell of a lot more to do outside their realm of enjoyment than you do if they want one.

PvP is a non-factor as it is a seperate entity. Different stats, gear and everything. WvW and PvE share everything.

Isilhgaard.4013

I just to want to say thank you all for the feedback. It matters alot. Have fun in-game everyone!

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Achievement chests take care of badges, or at least supply a fine alternative.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Since I am not working my way toward a legendary, I have a nub question…

Is the Gift of Exploration required for every legendary? or just certain ones?

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

all of them.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

Aerlen.5326

You have 4 maps with, let’s face it, not much on them to get. You don’t even have to engage in PvP if you go at the right times and watch what your servers doing. PvE and WvW are not seperate entities.
Besides look at it from the other way, WvW players who don’t like PvE have a hell of a lot more to do outside their realm of enjoyment than you do if they want one.

PvP is a non-factor as it is a seperate entity. Different stats, gear and everything. WvW and PvE share everything.

WvW is a mini game. It doesn’t even count on the log in screen, btw. My Guardian’s stats say “Map Completion: 100%” but when I get in-game, it’s 99% due to WvW.

Dungeons are also PvE, why don’t their POIs count?

Why don’t POIs from once a year events like Wintersday and Mad King exist/count? Also PvE. Would make Legendaries much harder to get too.

Why aren’t there JP POIs in PvE? You could say “because not everyone can do JPs”, well not everyone can tolerate WvW either and mesmers do exist to port folks.

And why even put vistas and skill points in an area filled with ganking e-ego folks to begin with? Why not have POIs for every fort and leave it at that so eventually, you’ll get them all when your server starts on that end of the map? Why not have a “spectator” designation where you can’t help your own server in any way but you don’t have to deal with ganking? Do you guys seriously like waiting in que, unable to help keep forts, because a bunch of people needing world completion went in with no intent to help fight and aren’t leaving until they get that one tower they need?

Seriously.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

all of them.

Thank you.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Why should WvW players have to do PvE for legendaries? Just a thought.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The best way would be to separate PvE map completion and WvW map completion, and give one Gift of Exploration for either map being completed.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

With world color not being based on server ranking, the most annoying thing is to get SM. The rest is patience. And since there’s some time between the moment you decide you want to get a Legendary and where gift of exploration is the only thing missing, you must be unlucky if you are still missing a color.

Karizee.8076

WvW is a mini game. It doesn’t even count on the log in screen, btw. My Guardian’s stats say “Map Completion: 100%” but when I get in-game, it’s 99% due to WvW.

That is some mini game

Extra fun fact: the population of WvW who plays any given week regularly is larger than the entire population of all of Gw1 the game any given week for a large chunk of the games lifespan. Just want to put things in perspective, Gw1 was amazing, but there is a reason we made Gw2.

Astralporing.1957

It is a rounding bug that has nothing to do with WvW. Login screen rounds the % display up, while in-game counter rounds it down.

Why aren’t there JP POIs in PvE?

There are. Breached wall vista and SP, Wizard’s tower vista… there are several map completion points that are hidden beyond JP’s.

Why not have POIs for every fort and leave it at that so eventually, you’ll get them all when your server starts on that end of the map?

That’s how it is done. The PoI’s, vistas and SP’s that are outside towers, keeps and Stonemist are irrelevant, you can easily get them even if your side is massively losing.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

I’m a PvE player as well, and this annoyed me to no end when I was newb. Then I discovered that my server’s placement on the map changed periodically, meaning that, at some point, ALL of the poi’s and vistas were going to be in friendly territory and easy to get to.

You have to take the long view with Legendaries. It’s not a quick process, and (unless you gem-purchase one with gold) acquiring a Legendary means you have accomplished something. You’ve been around. You’ve seen some kittens. You’ve kittened some kittens. Probably some kittens have kittened your kittens, too.

It is a hassle, and I wish it weren’t set up this way, but if you are patient, and check in on your server’s WvW periodically to see where things stand, you WILL get your Gift of Explorations without much trouble.

I have 100% WvW completion on 3 different characters, without doing ANY WvW!

jsduke.6537

I have 100% WvW completion on 3 different characters, without doing ANY WvW!

And actually now that I think about that ^ , it kind of defeats the whole purpose of WvW Map Completion, so it really is just kind of a big chore.

jsduke.6537

Well, yes, WvW and PvE are separate entities. That’s why we keep them separate.

That’s true. Although I don’t understand why someone would do that. Do you really log in, make a character, head straight for WvW and never leave? That blows my mind. It’s like buying a movie, but instead of watching the movie you just watch the trailer for the movie over and over and over again. You’re not even playing 90% of the game!

That’s okay though. WvW is not there for me; it’s there for you.

BUT

When a WvW player goes into PvE to do map completion, they are free to explore at their own pace, solo or with friends, and no one is going to randomly murder them just for the hell of it.

When a PvE player goes into WvW, there are other people ACTIVELY trying to stop them from accomplishing their goals.

So no, it’s not an appropriate comparison.

editted to correct a typo

(edited by jsduke.6537)

Aerlen.5326

Well, yes, WvW and PvP are separate entities. That’s why we keep them separate.

That’s true. Although I don’t understand why someone would do that. Do you really log in, make a character, head straight for WvW and never leave? That blows my mind. It’s like buying a movie, but instead of watching the movie you just watch the trailer for the movie over and over and over again. You’re not even playing 90% of the game!

That’s okay though. WvW is not there for me; it’s there for you.

BUT

When a WvW player goes into PvE to do map completion, they are free to explore at their own pace, solo or with friends, and no one is going to randomly murder them just for the hell of it.

When a PvE player goes into WvW, there are other people ACTIVELY trying to stop them from accomplishing their goals.

So no, it’s not an appropriate comparison.

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. This is why I don’t want to bother with WvW. If I wanted to worry about jerks out to gank me, I’d reinstall WoW and go on a PvP server. You have no idea how frustrating it is to finally get to a vista and boom, killed. Doesn’t matter if you are naked and unarmed.

And if you are JUST playing GW2 for WvW and never set foot in PvE… seriously? That really is like going to a movie just to watch the previews then leaving.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

You know what’s more painful than having to do map completion for your first legendary? Doing it the second time for your third legendary. I don’t feel sorry for the people with 5+ though /jelly

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

jsduke.6537

If I wanted to worry about jerks out to gank me, I’d reinstall WoW and go on a PvP server. You have no idea how frustrating it is to finally get to a vista and boom, killed. Doesn’t matter if you are naked and unarmed.

I know that feel, bro. But check this out:

http://mos.millenium.org/na

Get familiar with this site and check it every once in a while to see how your server is doing in WvW. There is a “Live Map” button you can click to see what areas your server controls.

Use this resource and you can get all of the POIs and stuff while it is in friendly territory. It may take a little time for your server to change position on the map as the rankings change, but eventually it will happen. I got 100% WvW Map Completion on 3 characters w/o ANY PvP!

Aerlen.5326

If I wanted to worry about jerks out to gank me, I’d reinstall WoW and go on a PvP server. You have no idea how frustrating it is to finally get to a vista and boom, killed. Doesn’t matter if you are naked and unarmed.

I know that feel, bro. But check this out:

http://mos.millenium.org/na

Get familiar with this site and check it every once in a while to see how your server is doing in WvW. There is a “Live Map” button you can click to see what areas your server controls.

Use this resource and you can get all of the POIs and stuff while it is in friendly territory. It may take a little time for your server to change position on the map as the rankings change, but eventually it will happen. I got 100% WvW Map Completion on 3 characters w/o ANY PvP!

And all the POIs I need are in my server’s hands but I can’t get in to run, get them, and be done with WvW….

Oh wait, nope, gone.. maybe next week.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

So getting a Legendary involves sPvP too?

Because there are no legendaries in xPvP so it has nothing to do with it?

Posted by: Murashin.8295

Murashin.8295

It is called “gift of MASTERY” for a reason…………………………………

(otherwise they would have call it: “Gift of Laziness”)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I feel like we’ve been here before.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Why do I as a player who primary just likes exploring and doing WvWvW have to run dungeons for hundreds of hours to get a legendary?

At least dungeon runners don’t have to get the WvWvW tokens now thanks to achievement boxes, still waiting to open one of them and get hundreds of dungeon tokens thrown at me.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Why do I as a player who primary just likes exploring and doing WvWvW have to run dungeons for hundreds of hours to get a legendary?

At least dungeon runners don’t have to get the WvWvW tokens now thanks to achievement boxes, still waiting to open one of them and get hundreds of dungeon tokens thrown at me.

I want to give this a lot more tha +1.

I need a quadruple thumbs up button.

MrRuin.9740

THIS. This is why I don’t want to bother with WvW. If I wanted to worry about jerks out to gank me, I’d reinstall WoW and go on a PvP server. You have no idea how frustrating it is to finally get to a vista and boom, killed. Doesn’t matter if you are naked and unarmed.

And if you are JUST playing GW2 for WvW and never set foot in PvE… seriously? That really is like going to a movie just to watch the previews then leaving.

I don’t want to run dungeons for tokens. I don’t want to bother with it. Why am I being forced to do this for a skin I want? You have no idea how frustrating it is to get to a boss and have the party wipe when its almost dead. I should be able to enter the dungeon and get the tokens without mobs and bosses who are actively trying to stop me from reaching the end. If I wanted a mindless PvE grind, I’d install a Korean MMO.

Oh wait…….no, scratch that. I actually do realize there are other aspects to the game that aren’t tailored exactly to me and if they happen to be a requirement for something I want, I’ll do it.
Basically, this is a requirement for a Legendary. Suck it up and get over it. You know this going in. It is not a game flaw. Not a bug. Not a glitch. It is required. If you don’t want to venture in and are not willing to do what is needed for the item you want, then find another goal that better suits you.

More interesting is the bash of how people experience fun in the game. So because someone might spend all their time in WvW or PvP, they are playing the game wrong? Its a smaller percentage by map size yes, but in terms of how people have fun, that’s quite a judgement call on your part. I’m not even a WvW player, but I still find your extremely narrow view on it interesting.

Aerlen.5326

I don’t want to run dungeons for tokens. I don’t want to bother with it. Why am I being forced to do this for a skin I want? You have no idea how frustrating it is to get to a boss and have the party wipe when its almost dead. I should be able to enter the dungeon and get the tokens without mobs and bosses who are actively trying to stop me from reaching the end. If I wanted a mindless PvE grind, I’d install a Korean MMO.

Oh wait…….no, scratch that. I actually do realize there are other aspects to the game that aren’t tailored exactly to me and if they happen to be a requirement for something I want, I’ll do it.
Basically, this is a requirement for a Legendary. Suck it up and get over it. You know this going in. It is not a game flaw. Not a bug. Not a glitch. It is required. If you don’t want to venture in and are not willing to do what is needed for the item you want, then find another goal that better suits you.

More interesting is the bash of how people experience fun in the game. So because someone might spend all their time in WvW or PvP, they are playing the game wrong? Its a smaller percentage by map size yes, but in terms of how people have fun, that’s quite a judgement call on your part. I’m not even a WvW player, but I still find your extremely narrow view on it interesting.

Okay. I don’t care if you like WvW. WvW is fun for you. Sweet. Enjoy. It’s not fun for me and never will be. I don’t like CoD either.

Suck it up? Okay. For equality sake, when you dungeon or do PvE, do so naked and with a level 10 white weapon. When you are about to reach your goal – there is a 50% chance you will be killed for no reason, you’ll just drop dead, and have to start over from the furthest point from the goal. There, now it’s 100% totally fair.

Please enjoy.

And I don’t even want a Legendary at this point, I want map completion. Why is WvW part of map completion when sPvP and Dungeons aren’t and once a year event POIs aren’t? Are dungeon tokens parts of map completion?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

this just reinforced his argument and mine, this was a huge flop imo. It’s a PVE weapon, this isn’t Aion and even Aion dropped a ton of people throughout it’s lifespan when they discovered they were being forced into PVP, I was one of the thousands that left that game because of it!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Ahh selfish PvE players… We WvW players have to do tons of PvE to get one, yet we dont complain.

ALL the PvE maps, dungeon tokens, gold is poor in WvW so most likely farm alot in PvE so if you are a PvE player you have A LOT easier time than us WvW players…

MrRuin.9740

Okay. I don’t care if you like WvW. WvW is fun for you. Sweet. Enjoy. It’s not fun for me and never will be. I don’t like CoD either.

Suck it up? Okay. For equality sake, when you dungeon or do PvE, do so naked and with a level 10 white weapon. When you are about to reach your goal – there is a 50% chance you will be killed for no reason, you’ll just drop dead, and have to start over from the furthest point from the goal. There, now it’s 100% totally fair.

Please enjoy.

And I don’t even want a Legendary at this point, I want map completion. Why is WvW part of map completion when sPvP and Dungeons aren’t and once a year event POIs aren’t? Are dungeon tokens parts of map completion?

I don’t like WvW all that much. I am a PvE player 95% of the time. And I have map completion.
I could run a dungeon in full Exotic/Ascended and still have a 50% to die, given the dungeon and boss mechanics. So that’s kind of moot.
One point I do agree on is that dungeon and areas like Southsun should be part of the map complete too, as well as keeping WvW as part of it.
sPVP, no because it is a seperate entity. You have different traits, different weapons, different gear.

Astralporing.1957

A lot of people would say they don’t want to PvE to get the weapon either, door swings both ways.

And they have every right to say that, and ask for PvP/WvW specific legendary crafting paths.

Actions, not words.

MrRuin.9740

A lot of people would say they don’t want to PvE to get the weapon either, door swings both ways.

And they have every right to say that, and ask for PvP/WvW specific legendary crafting paths.

Except you dont see that very often. It almost always a one-way complaint, which says something in of itself.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

To the clueless people who keep saying

“why is spvp not included in world completion then?”

YOU CANNOT USE LEGENDARY SKINS IN SPVP

Edit: threads like these complaining about something so minor are hilarious. “oh noessss I must do wvw for all of an hour?? Or maybe three hours across three weeks when we are in a different colour??? Oh noeeesss”

Seriously. Serious. Srz.

Ps I have 4 world completions, another has wvw done already. Play all the game modes or you’re not experiencing the game,

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I feel like we’ve been here before.

All of this has happened before and will again.
Now I have the urge to rewatch Battlestar Galactica again.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Oh look its this thread again. WvW is PvPvE, so its a perfectly valid requirement.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Astralporing.1957

Except you dont see that very often. It almost always a one-way complaint, which says something in of itself.

Yes. That WvW players in general are not interested in the same things that PvE players are. Your point?

Actions, not words.