Give existing players 1600 gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Why 1600? Isn’t a character slot only 800?

I feel like 1600 way too high of an expectation. I sincerely doubt that Anet would ever give 1600 gems away to all current players who buy the expansion.

Because the expansion as we’ve been sold it barely rates $30, 1600 gems are $20, which comes out to $50.

So vets get the xpac and a slot or two, for the same price that new players pay for both the full base game and xpac.

Its simply the easiest way to fix the marketing/PR snafu that ANet brought down upon themselves.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Adding 800 gems would be enough to push me over the line. I just want the one character slot. I was expecting to pay $40 and get a character slot, so paying $50 for essentially the same is starting to be in the right vicinity.

Also, remember that HoT will give you access to Season 3.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

I feel like 1600 way too high of an expectation. I sincerely doubt that Anet would ever give 1600 gems away to all current players who buy the expansion.

…What? We are getting screwed out of the $50 we already paid on a now-valueless game.
If anything, we should be getting $50 worth of gems: 4000.
If we were to get 800 gems ($10) or even 1600 ($20), then what happens to that extra $30 we spent on nothing?
It’s either that, or give us the expansion for free so that we paid a grand total of $50 like everyone else, instead of $100.
But due to the undoubtable number of HoT purchases already from people who had bought the base game, giving people who bought the base game 4000 gems seems more feasible.
To visualize, it would be like this:

Veteran
HoT: $50
4000 gems: $50
GW2: $0

Newcomer

So we’re still paying $100, but we’re actually getting what we pay for, (at least for half of that $100. I still don’t feel HoT has $50 worth of content in it, but at least everyone would be paying the same price for HoT.)

Alternately, if they simply required everyone to buy the core game as well as HoT as originally intended, then the only problem would be that HoT is too expensive for the meager content, as opposed to also having $50 stolen from you.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

…What? We are getting screwed out of the $50 we already paid on a now-valueless game.

It’s almost like someone had to pay for the computer systems, electricity, people, facilities, and other things required to allow you continuous access to the game for the last three years.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

you people are ungrateful. Be happy with what you got.

(edited by IIvIIozzie.9250)

Blackworm.2167

It’s almost like someone had to pay for the computer systems, electricity, people, facilities, and other things required to allow you continuous access to the game for the last three years.

What an empty, overused ‘argument’. I could say the same about DCUO, a game that is completely free, not even requiring an initial purchase. It’s almost like someone had to pay for the computer systems, electricity, people, facilities, and other things required to allow [people] continuous access to [every MMO] for the last three years.

If they are oh so hurting for cash due to those things (which they are not, see: gemstore, the only thing that gets updated regularly), then why even offer the base game for free at all?
After all, they need all the money they can get, right? And it certainly wouldn’t do them any favors to alienate and divide the playerbase.

Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

If anything, we should be getting $50 worth of gems: 4000.
If we were to get 800 gems ($10) or even 1600 ($20), then what happens to that extra $30 we spent on nothing?
It’s either that, or give us the expansion for free so that we paid a grand total of $50 like everyone else, instead of $100.
But due to the undoubtable number of HoT purchases already from people who had bought the base game, giving people who bought the base game 4000 gems seems more feasible.
To visualize, it would be like this:

Veteran
4000 gems: $50

Newcomer

So we’re still paying $100, but we’re actually getting what we pay for, (at least for half of that $100. I still don’t feel HoT has $50 worth of content in it, but at least everyone would be paying the same price for HoT.)

Alternately, if they simply required everyone to buy the core game as well as HoT as originally intended, then the only problem would be that HoT is too expensive for the meager content, as opposed to also having $50 stolen from you.

Then stop playing this valueless game already lol..
Why playing a valueless game?

Because of forum’s role I couldn’t say what I want to say, but playing something that’s valueless to you show something about you.

Blackworm.2167

Then stop playing this valueless game already lol..
Why playing a valueless game?

Because of forum’s role I couldn’t say what I want to say, but playing something that’s valueless to you show something about you.

…Excuse me? Do you even understand the post? Did you even read it all the way? What did you think I meant by “valueless”?
Strawman arguments aren’t going to get you anywhere.
And sorry, but you can’t really tell me what I can and cannot play.

Steam Profile

Posted by: Ragnar.1546

Ragnar.1546

I would take 1600 gems as being a suitable “thanks for sticking around” reward… But they still haven’t sold it to me well enough. I’ve personally not seen enough that shows me what I’ll be getting out of my hard earned money everyone seems so desperately wanting to remove from me.

For being at pre-purchase phase they’ve done a horrible job at marketing. But I’m sure it’s worked on others so hey ho. At this stage they could throw in 50k gems and I still wouldn’t buy, most the stuff on the gem store is unimpressive to me.

I do enjoy the game and am generally curious with what comes with the expansion but the only stuff I’ve found interesting has been the PVP map and class reworks, and that’s not enough to sell me on it.

(The only reason I’d accept the gems is for part funding a server transfer)

Posted by: Kamsin.8541

Kamsin.8541

At least 800 gems, one slot.

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

stupid solution. this far outweighs the monetary loss they have by not giving players anything.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

An interesting solution.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think 800 gems, the cost of a character slot, would be more reasonable.

But I agree that, if Anet want to concede that it’s unfair for new players to get the base game for free without giving existing players something too then either a character slot (2 for the deluxe edition) or the equivalent amount of gems would be a simple and effective solution.

Especially since they probably can’t change the price now, they’d have to partially refund everyone who already bought it and (based on too many years in retail) partial refunds can be even more difficult to process than full refunds, and doing it en masse would make it worse.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Beryl.1493

Beryl.1493

I guess I dont feel entitled to free stuff simply because they are offering something I already own for free. Why should I? Because little jimmy at the check out got candy and I didnt?

I think its good that new players can get the full game for the price of the expansion, it keeps the community from fracturing, everyone new will have the same access. As a guild leader I dont have to worry about incoming players not being able to join us in the expansion.

Only people this is a slap in the face for are people with a entitled attitude, you are at no disadvantage by other ppll getting the core game for free.

Letting yourself fall for such a simple trick, I see. Wise.

The core game is not ‘free’, as ArenaNet claims it to be. The core game having been bundled together with HoT is the sole reason why HoT is as expensive as it is. The pricing, may I need to remind you, is what people are upset about.

Let’s say you buy a large red marble for $10. A month later, you go to where you bought it from and notice they are now selling small felt bags containing two differently coloured large marbles. It costs $20. In the bag you purchased, one is red and the other is green.

• Did you buy a green marble for $20 and get a ‘free’ red marble? Great! Oh, but you can’t give your spare red marble to a friend as a birthday present. You might as throw one of them into a bin.
  • Did you pay $10 for a second red marble visually identical to the one you already have just so you have the green marble that they refuse to sell separately?

Don’t you think it would be better for the customer if the shop were to sell the green marble separately for just $10?

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

This is the most pathetic I have ever seen this community. In my 9 years playing the Guild Wars series, this stands as the worst I have ever felt ashamed to be apart of it.

They’ve been working on this expansion likely since the first 6 months of release.
Expansions nowadays are around 40-50 dollars. Warlords of Draenor was 50 bucks, about 75 if you pre-ordered it for a mount.

Areananet have always been a company that bundles their older content with the new releases so new players always have a chance to enjoy it the same as we do. This is nothing new.
If they didn’t do this THEY WOULD EARN MORE MONEY FROM NEW CUSTOMERS WANTING TO START. They are LOSING potential money from this because they believe everyone should be able to enjoy a game equally, at least the chance to.

You people complain because you don’t get a character slot? You complain because it costs 50 instead of 40? Guild Wars 2 is a AAA game. One of the top MMO’s of today.
You have not had to pay a single cent since the day you bought the core game. And you want to complain because they give new players a treat? Because someone else gets something for free and you don’t because you already have it?
IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU IN ANYWAY AT ALL. So why are you crying? Why all this rage? It’s so childish and shameful.

Part of me thinks a sub fee and no more free content would be a good thing. The no sub fee and free living story upgrades made this community one of the most entitled ungrateful lots ever.

The expansion would have been 50 dollars regardless of the base game. It’s how expansions are now.
Crying because other people are going to be able to enjoy the game just like the rest of us is childish.

Either grow up and get over it and stop flooding the forums(Which by the way really means nothing considering the forums are a very very small percentage of the player base) or get a job and pay for the kitten expansion.

Like we all know you are going to do anyways.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

the more free gems we get the better.