Give existing players 1600 gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

The only xpac should be priced at $30. However, they cant really change the price now since it will create a logistics disaster of refund and other things.

The best option is this:

• If you are a new player, you will receive the base game for free, with the $50 purchase
  • If you are an existing player, you will receive 1600 gems, which you can use to buy character slot.
Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Posted by: Rothius.1069

Rothius.1069

I’ve been thinking that this is the best option. Especially since not all existing players need that extra slot, so they can use it for additional storage space or costumes or whatever. In my opinion the 1600 gems should just replace the GW2 Core on existing accounts for all preorder tiers (including the $100 tier).

(edited by Rothius.1069)

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

The only xpac should be priced at $30. However, they cant really change the price now since it will create a logistics disaster of refund and other things.

The best option is this:

• If you are a new player, you will receive the base game for free, with the $50 purchase
  • If you are an existing player, you will receive 1600 gems, which you can use to buy character slot.

That’s actually a pretty fair compromise. Some people may not need or even want a new character slot BUT giving them the ability to purchase what they DO need or want is a fair and equitable compromise.

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Agreed thats the simplest solution without affecting the dynamic much.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

yes that would be probably the easiest solution where everyone gets technically 20 euro without giving anet too much loss
even 800 gems would be fine for 1 characterslot (or for something else if you already have enough slots)

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think this is a good idea. Would help bring the gold to gem to a more reasonable level at the same time.

I think we should wait to see what else they will bring before we get too crazy though.

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

HoT is a minimum of 0.9p a month in cost, Im sorry but how much closer to free can i honestly want a kitten game xD..

Over-Self Entitliment is a vicious cycle and adopted by so many, u PAID the inital price of the game to play that game for 3 years without a single other required charge, that debt has been fullfilled, the expansion was going to be $50 with or without the inital game.

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

YES! This is great idea.. ofcourse 1600 gems! FREE FREE!!

Lets just crash the conversion rate together.

OR.. Free legendary maybe? YES this is fine with me. Agreed. I think this is a good idea. I’ve been thinking thats the best option.

Xscape

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

u PAID the inital price of the game to play that game for 3 years without a single other required charge,

And? People are waiting for the next big expansion to put more money and time back in… problem is this is NOT a big expansion but is priced like one.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

or just lower the price…….

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Yes, gief free gems!!!…

Seriously, though, it has been my sugestion in other posts, 1600 gems might be too much when comparing to recently released expansions (WoW’s latest one was $50, FF XIV is $40 though both are sub games), I’d say 800 gems (the cost of 1 character slot) would be enough. Players that don’t need or want a char slot could use it for other things (armor skins, unlock season 2 episodes and so on).

Lowering the price would be an organizational nightmare with the people that already bought it, but this would be an interesting option, if the serial is applied to an account that already has GW2 in, just add 800 gems to it.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Character slot is only 800 gems. Trying to weasel two slots out of them or a slot and some armor skin?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

$50 should be gems + 1 char slot

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

I think this sounds completely fair. Especially since there is little loss and encourages players to use the gem store.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

All this fuss over pricing is getting ridiculous. It has turned into “I AM ENTITLED TO FREE STUFF!!!! Raagh ANET IS GREEDY!!!!”

This whole thing reminds me of when my nephew threw a fit that his mom wouldnt buy him candy at the check out line when he saw another kids mom buy her son something…. but you know… with adults instead.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I like the idea of free gems, but feel like existing players each getting 1600 gems is a bit much. If they were to give out gems, I feel like a better system is needed to determine how many gems existing players will get so that dedicated players will be more likely to have more gems than players who just started.

If they do give out free gems (which I highly doubt personally,) I feel they should take a players total achievement points and divide the number by 10 to determine how many gems that player should be given.

15k AP → 1,500 gems
23k AP → 2,300 gems
3k AP → 300 gems
800 AP → 80 gems

I know that AP isn’t a perfect way to judge whether a player is dedicated or a veteran to the game, but this conversion would make more sense than flat-out giving 1600 gems to every existing player.

These are my personal opinions on the matter, and although I highly doubt they’d give out so many gems for free, a little wishful thinking is nice once in a while.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Zoul.1087

All this fuss over pricing is getting ridiculous. It has turned into “I AM ENTITLED TO FREE STUFF!!!! Raagh ANET IS GREEDY!!!!”

This whole thing reminds me of when my nephew threw a fit that his mom wouldnt buy him candy at the check out line when he saw another kids mom buy her son something…. but you know… with adults instead.

I don’t think you get it. “The core game is free.”
Cool where is my extra account?
“You already bought the game so you don’t get one.”
Wait what?
“We will reward your loyalty by letting you pay the same price!”

How is this not a slap in the face?

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I think 1600 gems which puts the expansion minus the core game at 30 is very fair.

Posted by: Draycon.1369

Draycon.1369

I will not buy the expansion pack at all if they don’t reduce the cost.
In fact i will actually just leave this community and hope they go bankrupt if they don’t reduce the cost

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

I still say just reduce the cost at checkout if the player currently owns the base game… Just have them sign on and reduce the price by around 10 bucks so it would be 39.99 standard, 64.99 deluxe , 89.99 for ultimate. It’s not a huge discount but would have made a hell of a lot more sense then the current prices.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Anet knows everyone who gets the expansion will want to create the new class. I’d wager most people don’t have an open slot and don’t want to delete existing toons. So, the result is people paying more or dumping gold into gems as a gold sink.

I wish they had just an expansion only option. Including the core game (first time that term is getting tossed out there) is meaningless value to hundreds of thousands of existing players. Heck, they offered GW2 for $10 awhile back – make an expansion only option for $40 instead of fifty and it would probably mollify most folks.

SBI

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Given the level of the posts across the forum I don’t think they’d stop even if Anet gave them gems or a character slot. Gems work to a degree since the people who only have one character would continue to complain since they have no use for a character slot. However even though the others can purchase a character slot with those gems they’d continue for the character slot in addition to the gems.

Furthermore people would complain and demand the same gem discount of 50% that the Ultimate edition is getting. There is no solution to quell people right now they’d be best to wait a week for people to cool down before doing anything. The base game included three years of content this expac will also contain every update they make until the next expac which is dirt cheap in the realm of MMO’s. It’s not the base anything but rather the span of time and content released during that time that people are paying for so more than likely this outrage will die down too it is the first day after all. However gives first but after a week I expect this to die down drastically most likely when new LA and trait changes hit.

Mireles Lore.5942

Wait what?

I guess I dont feel entitled to free stuff simply because they are offering something I already own for free. Why should I? Because little jimmy at the check out got candy and I didnt?

I think its good that new players can get the full game for the price of the expansion, it keeps the community from fracturing, everyone new will have the same access. As a guild leader I dont have to worry about incoming players not being able to join us in the expansion.

Only people this is a slap in the face for are people with a entitled attitude, you are at no disadvantage by other ppll getting the core game for free.

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

Wait what?

I guess I dont feel entitled to free stuff simply because they are offering something I already own for free. Why should I? Because little jimmy at the check out got candy and I didnt?

I think its good that new players can get the full game for the price of the expansion, it keeps the community from fracturing, everyone new will have the same access. As a guild leader I dont have to worry about incoming players not being able to join us in the expansion.

Only people this is a slap in the face for are people with a entitled attitude, you are at no disadvantage by other ppll getting the core game for free.

Let’s say you are little Jimmy’s mom and decide to buy little Jimmy a bar of candy at the checkout. You look at the price and it is $5. You don’t believe that an ordinary bar of candy is worth $5 and decide not to buy it if that price doesn’t include something more than just a simple bar of candy. Is this an entitled attitude in your eyes? If so, then I’m afraid we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Because in my eyes it is simply economics.

Mireles Lore.5942

Wait what?

Let’s say you are little Jimmy’s mom and decide to buy little Jimmy a bar of candy at the checkout. You look at the price and it is $5. You don’t believe that an ordinary bar of candy is worth $5 and decide not to buy it if that price doesn’t include something more than just a simple bar of candy. Is this an entitled attitude in your eyes? If so, then I’m afraid we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Because in my eyes it is simply economics.

Then what you do is don’t buy it and take your business elsewhere. Not throw a fit and tell the vendor that this is a slap in the face because you feel entitled to something more. The vendor owes us nothing.

If you dont feel that the price of the expansion is worth it, wait for the price to go down. I promise you it will.

But to call a free offer a slap in the face simply because it doesn’t benifit you then feel entitled to something else and demand the vendor compensate you, thats what I find ludicrous about whats going on in this community today.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Wait what?

You do realize that price of the expansion is jacked up to 50 BECAUSE it contains “free” base game, yes? If I had new account with it or a game key that I could gift to someone I’d be perfectly fine.

locoman.1974

Wait what?

Not buying it at that price if you don’t feel it isn’t worth it, definitively not entitled attitude, that’s for sure.

Yelling at the person at the checkout that asking for $5 for that candy is a literal slap on your face, standing in front of the store yelling for a boicott of the store unless they lower the price of that candy bar, telling the owner that you’ve always bought candy bars there so they owe you to give you cheaper candy or you’ll yell at everyone how much of a cheapstake he is… that is entitled attitude in my eyes.

And note, I do believe that the basic version should be a little cheaper (though the price isn’t really that far off from the price of expansions lately) or at least include a character slot or enough gems to include one as a bonus to existing customers, but I also believe that what we’re seeing in forums goes much closer to the second example.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

why 1600 gems? why 1 character slot?
I agree that people who bought the original game shouldn’t have to pay as much for the expansion (because they are not also buying the base game at the same time), or at least should get something extra such as a Fiery Dragon Sword.
But why would a character slot be what you ask for?

locoman.1974

why 1600 gems? why 1 character slot?
I agree that people who bought the original game shouldn’t have to pay as much for the expansion (because they are not also buying the base game at the same time), or at least should get something extra such as a Fiery Dragon Sword.
But why would a character slot be what you ask for?

Mainly because one of the big features of the expansion is a new class (the revenant). Someone that already has all character slots full wouldn’t be able to create one unless they either get a new one (extra $10 or about 200 gold on top of the price). Not having a character slot free prevents you from experiencing part of the expansion content, nothing limits you like that for anything else the expansion has to offer. Adding a character slot just ensures that everyone will be able to experience everything the expansion has.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I’m ok with a character slot…

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

Wait what?

Yup , totally agreed , I felt like it was a real slap in the face for me from ANet

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

The gems approach is the best approach we can push for right now. It’s good for existing players who don’t have a character slot, they can just buy it. It’s good for existing players that have an empty slot already, they effectively get the xpac for $30. It’s good for ANet; they don’t need to deal with the price reducing/refund nightmare. They keep the existing players happy. They keep the new players happy (xpac comes with free core game!).

It’s basically a win-win-win-win solution for everyone.

We should push for this instead of complaining/ranting. The solution is right here.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Posted by: Eklipse.2043

Eklipse.2043

This solution is perfect, it gives me as a veteran an incentive to purchase the expansion and not feel like I’ve been shafted. It’s a reward to those that have been loyal to the franchise thus far and it’s a fair bargain all around. New players buy HoT and get the core game “for free”, veterans buy HoT and get gems as a reward for continued customer loyalty. I don’t understand why some people are so adamant in defending the current price as is. It’s screwing over veteran players that have been investing into the game far longer than any profit that would be generated from the initial rush of new players. You don’t do this and expect your current customers not to go into a rage.

And for those that try to use the subscription argument: one of the main reasons I chose Guild Wars over other MMORPGs was due to the lack of the subscription fee. If the price was announced as $50 for the expansion and $60+ for the expansion plus core game, I think most of us veterans wouldn’t be in such a rage.

The way it stands, a veteran is basically paying for another copy of the game no matter how you slice it. You can use the “free” thing all you want, in the end veterans are still paying for another copy of Guild Wars 2, sans the additional account. It’s cheating your current player base and bad business.

(edited by Eklipse.2043)

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I would be willing to take 800 gems. That is the exact price for an additional character slot. People who want to make room for a Revenant can use these gems for a character slot, and those that do not need the slot (including those who bought the Deluxe or Ultimate editions, which includes the free slot) may use the 800 gems for other nifty stuff.

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

You do realize that price of the expansion is jacked up to 50 BECAUSE it contains “free” base game, yes?

Source please. GW1 xpac pricing, content, or perceived value is not a valid source to justify this kind of claim.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

What if everyone with their 1,600 or 800 gems simply just converts it to gold? Would that imbalance the market somehow? Or would the gems be gem shop buys only, no converting?

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

What if everyone with their 1,600 or 800 gems simply just converts it to gold? Would that imbalance the market somehow? Or would the gems be gem shop buys only, no converting?

The gem-gold market can take a hit. Over the past years, the gold price of gems has gone steadily up. On average, the gold-to-gem ratio doubles about every year.

Eklipse.2043

I think it’s a fair trade. If veterans are getting 1600 gems with HoT, it’s no different than paying $30 for HoT and getting $20 in gems.

Zoul.1087

Wait what?

I work for my money and I have plenty for the expansion. At no point did I demand they give me any more than anyone else. I simply want the same or similar for my money. If they don’t want my money that is fine, then they won’t get it.

They are not entitled to my money.

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

This is probably the worst suggestion I’ve read all day. You want Arena Net to give away 1600 gems so everyone can convert the gems to gold and break the market?

This suggestion sounds like nothing but someone trying to capitalize on the vulnerable.

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Best option?
Add character slot to the existing account that spend 50 dollars, 75 dollars add some gems, 100 dollars add some gems. Problem solved.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

I’m not paying $50. They could give me 10000 gems and I still wouldn’t buy it. I am just not interested in spending that much for HoT. Either they lower the price to $30-40 or i’ll just not get the expansion. Depending on how bad the community split is at launch, I just might leave the game entirely. They tried to pull a Blizzard and it blew up in their faces.

Eklipse.2043

This is probably the worst suggestion I’ve read all day. You want Arena Net to give away 1600 gems so everyone can convert the gems to gold and break the market?

This suggestion sounds like nothing but someone trying to capitalize on the vulnerable.

If they refuse to lower the price, then it’s the best suggestion I’ve seen. $30 for HoT +$20 in gems. As a veteran, I have no incentive to pay $50 for basically another copy of the game. I don’t need another account, and I still have to pay $50 to add additional content when new players get the core game as well? No deal. Call it what you will, it’s cheating current players. Lower the price or give me a reason to grab the expansion for $50.

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

I’m not paying $50. They could give me 10000 gems and I still wouldn’t buy it. I am just not interested in spending that much for HoT. Either they lower the price to $30-40 or i’ll just not get the expansion. Depending on how bad the community split is at launch, I just might leave the game entirely. They tried to pull a Blizzard and it blew up in their faces.

So meaning you would rather give-up 80 dollars of gems (10000 gem’s price) than spending 10 extra dollars for HoT?

Sound logical.
Btw, the game probably doesn’t need stingy customers anyway. It doesn’t benefit them anyway.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Why not doing something that truly rewards veteran players?

With each expansion purchased, give one gem for each day played from account creation to the expansion’s release.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I played gw1 a couple days after release, preordered gw2 well in advance, and will gladly spend $50 to support anet and get expansion. I do not deserve anything additional neither do you

Eklipse.2043

So meaning you would rather give-up 80 dollars of gems (10000 gem’s price) than spending 10 extra dollars for HoT?

Sound logical. No wonder the marketing people say regular consumers are stupid.

Assuming they are all stupid will end up with your business closed down. Savvy customers will run circles around your business if you treat them poorly. All I’m asking for as a customer is a reason to make this purchase at its current price. I have no need for a new account and it seems new customers are getting a better deal out of it. Give me a valid reason to pay it’s price as it is without using the gimmick of “you get a free game”. As it stands, I have no reason to.

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Good solution. Anet gets cash, vet’s feel less screwed, they can easily give gems to players that already preordered so they don’t feel screwed.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

The gems approach is the best approach we can push for right now. It’s good for existing players who don’t have a character slot, they can just buy it. It’s good for existing players that have an empty slot already, they effectively get the xpac for $30. It’s good for ANet; they don’t need to deal with the price reducing/refund nightmare. They keep the existing players happy. They keep the new players happy (xpac comes with free core game!).

It’s basically a win-win-win-win solution for everyone.

We should push for this instead of complaining/ranting. The solution is right here.

I wish making forum accounts were free so i could spend all night making new ones to +1 this.

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

Why 1600? Isn’t a character slot only 800?

I feel like 1600 way too high of an expectation. I sincerely doubt that Anet would ever give 1600 gems away to all current players who buy the expansion.