Give melee a SLIGHT buff in wvw / Pve

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

As it stands, in wvw its so frustrating trying to go pure melee (Im a guardian with gs/staff) NO ONE uses melee, which makes it even harder, i try to run in to smaller zergs and do some quick damage, now i don’t blindly run in and i know melee is supposed to be high risk/reward which is why is propose a SLIGHT buff.

Melee is fine in pvp except a few bosses make melee unviable and / or make range way too easy
Basicly i like how melee is High Risk/Reward but its not enough reward, when ranged is basicly “easy mode” In WvW and especially almost all bosses, melee becomes almost unviable.

Any new player will soon realize gw2 is a VERY RANGED ORIENTED GAME which is ok, i guess but i would like to see melee become a little more effective and not have ranged be super easy mode, which as a player of 500 hours i know what im talking about.

Trying to be a pure melee guardian ( i dont really have a choice everyone dodges sceptor) Is not easy nor fun most of the time, if you see more then 25 players in the enemy party and your not with your guild forget about trying to do any decent ammount of damage and getting out alive (atleast 65 percent of the time).

The WvW problem would be fixed if more people used melee in bigger battles, hence why i said if im not with my guild, this is because i *ALWAYS get focus fired out when i even begin to enter below 1200 range, if 25 percent of the player base went melee in battles then this woudlnt be a big problem, but they wont because its way more easy and dare i say viable to go ranged.

So we need to find a way to get about 15-25 percent of players to use melee as their “main” weapon and not as a situation weapon this is my main gripe in wvw, in bigger battles if i dont have a party that is all melee like me it becomes very very unlikely ill be able to rush in do damage and survive, even when im not specced glass cannon at all im a nice mix i have:

3100 armor
1750 hp
45 percent crit
3000 attack
Plus all my utilty spells are for me to survive longer, i use alteristic healing also plus with might on crit sigils plus empowering might trait plus 5 in virtues and the elite focus elite skill so i can spam virtues to heal, still isn’t enough when your getting focus fired since only 5 percent of the wvw population will even bother trying to go melee in skrimishes and basicly only pull then out in 1v1’s , 2v2’s ,3v3,’s.

IF MORE PEOPLE USED MELEE IN BIG WVW ZERG BATTLES, MELEE AS A WHOLE WOULD BECOME MORE EFFECTIVE

Tell my why only 5 percent of the wvw population uses melee AND tell me why even less go pure melee

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Cannot say much for melee wvw, but melee is definitely better than ranged in pve. I read in lfgs asking for heavies only (guardians and warriors), because not only do they have the greatest defense, but the greatswords rip apart enemy npcs.
If you are still unconvinced come play a pistol or rifle engineer and tell me how much damage our ranged weapons do.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Cannot say much for melee wvw, but melee is definitely better than ranged in pve. I read in lfgs asking for heavies only (guardians and warriors), because not only do they have the greatest defense, but the greatswords rip apart enemy npcs.
If you are still unconvinced come play a pistol or rifle engineer and tell me how much damage our ranged weapons do.

My engineer keeps lusting after my warriors rifle. I tell him even if it weren’t soulbound it wouldn’t do him any good.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

I do agree even though warriors and guardians r really strong and im a guardian. Whenever i fight a boss (havent done dungeons yet just minor bosses) I usually use my scepter and a torch because of the boss destroying me.

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

lol wut?
melee can easy catch a ranged champ. ranged champ, cant easy escape from melee champ.

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

(edited by drongas.4189)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Any new player will soon realize gw2 is a VERY RANGED ORIENTED GAME which is ok

So, you are saying that a warrior using Hundred Blades doesn’t do enough damage, is that it?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

I made it to “I’m a Guardian” and quit reading. Not really, but you lost credibility to me.

My Main is a Guardian, and I love the profession. I run GS and Sword/Torch in WvW. In the last four days, I have gotten about 350 kills, and died about 20 times, if not closer to 15. When Zergs collide, I’m always in front of my Zerg, buried in the sea of red. I tank through a lot of damage, and I deal decent damage. Decent being about half a health bar per whirling wrath.

In all honesty, it comes down to a L2P issue, as much as I hate saying it. Melee is harder to play than range, but not inferior. You have to keep an eye on the tide of battle, and make sure you sway with it. You have to know when to back out to take a breather, and when to give that risky push. The majority of the damage you take will be ranged, but that’s nothing a WoR won’t fix. It also bolsters allies to push forward, many going melee to do it.

When I die, it always comes down to one of two reasons. One, I pushed my luck and bit off more than I can chew. I do this a lot, because I’m always pushing my game, trying to do better. Or two, the enemy begins pushing forward, and I don’t notice(sway of battle). Now I have to wade through red to get back to my allies, which can get ugly fast.

Everything else comes down to just how well you manage your resources, and how skillful your play is.

As for PvE, I just whip out my hammer and can auto attack the vast majority of bosses. You mention the Dredge Fractal Boss, and I melee it too. Learn the tells, and dodge. Take a breather if you must. Use aegis at the right time. Keep protection up. Heal, dance, be the one to tip the bucket.

Lastly, players always go the path of least resistance. Range offers this, as it should.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

“but you will see for bosses like gigantic lupicus and the dredge fractal, THEY WILL USE RANGED”

[SFD] – Maguuma

Blissified.8369

lol wut?
melee can easy catch a ranged champ. ranged champ, cant easy escape from melee champ.

lol wut?

I never said ranged champs are harder for melee, first of all in my post i talked about some bosses not champs, and i also never said ranged bosses are harder for melee i said SOME bosses while using melee are unviable as you will spent 75 percent of your time dodging the attacks OR you cant even hit the boss and he has moves that just insta cast without any animation warning you. MELEE SHOULD BE HARDER TO USE, BUT ALL PARTS OF THE GAME SHOULD BE VIABLE FOR MELEE

You clearely didn’t read my post and read the title and perhaps skimmed over half a paragraph and read it completely wrong.

ALSO PEOPLE DONT ASK FOR ALL WARRIOS/GUARDIANS BECAUSE THEY USE MELEE, THEY ASK BECAUSE THEIR THE MOST SURVIVABLE AND CAN STILL DO DAMAGE But this doesnt change anything i said im focused on wvw here

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

But melee is viable, as many posters here will attest to. Do you think these people are lying when they say “I melee a majority of the time?” If they can do it, why can’t you?

Blissified.8369

“but you will see for bosses like gigantic lupicus and the dredge fractal, THEY WILL USE RANGED”

I melee gigantcus too but how many people do u see melee gigantic? I never said its impossible to melee him, just because you have a video of a person doing it doesn’t make me wrong? *If i show a video of someone using ranged on giganticus does that make me right? Give me a break.

Also he might have not been the best example , anyways i dont really care about the pve part, i just barely mentioned it.

Perhaps i should get rid of the pve part of my thread as its not the focus here

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Any new player will soon realize gw2 is a VERY RANGED ORIENTED GAME which is ok

So, you are saying that a warrior using Hundred Blades doesn’t do enough damage, is that it?

I think the issue comes from the way combat is conceived in GW2. There is cognitive dissonance when a melee character cannot play successfully in melee range. It’s not this way in every fight, but it always feels odd when you have to go ranged on a melee character. My conception of my Warrior is like the archetypal berserker running headlong into battle. My experience is that he spends at least an equal amount of time running from battles. While I’m OK with considering different implementation of combat, I have to say there is still a nagging sense that it doesn’t feel quite right yet. Maybe this is on purpose and the Warrior, as master of weapons, should feel that their ranged options are viable and to be used more.

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Perhaps it is an L2P issue, but I agree with OP. I’d like to play Melee on my War, but I find that if I build for damage, I’m taking too much damage to stay alive. If I build for survivability, I’m not doing enough damage, and eventually I lose the war of attrition. Sure, maybe it’s an L2P issue, and melee should only be usable for those who are highly skilled. But that sounds, to me, like it goes against ANet’s aim in building the game.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Blissified.8369

I made it to “I’m a Guardian” and quit reading. Not really, but you lost credibility to me.

My Main is a Guardian, and I love the profession. I run GS and Sword/Torch in WvW. In the last four days, I have gotten about 350 kills, and died about 20 times, if not closer to 15. When Zergs collide, I’m always in front of my Zerg, buried in the sea of red. I tank through a lot of damage, and I deal decent damage. Decent being about half a health bar per whirling wrath.

In all honesty, it comes down to a L2P issue, as much as I hate saying it. Melee is harder to play than range, but not inferior. You have to keep an eye on the tide of battle, and make sure you sway with it. You have to know when to back out to take a breather, and when to give that risky push. The majority of the damage you take will be ranged, but that’s nothing a WoR won’t fix. It also bolsters allies to push forward, many going melee to do it.

When I die, it always comes down to one of two reasons. One, I pushed my luck and bit off more than I can chew. I do this a lot, because I’m always pushing my game, trying to do better. Or two, the enemy begins pushing forward, and I don’t notice(sway of battle). Now I have to wade through red to get back to my allies, which can get ugly fast.

Everything else comes down to just how well you manage your resources, and how skillful your play is.

As for PvE, I just whip out my hammer and can auto attack the vast majority of bosses. You mention the Dredge Fractal Boss, and I melee it too. Learn the tells, and dodge. Take a breather if you must. Use aegis at the right time. Keep protection up. Heal, dance, be the one to tip the bucket.

Lastly, players always go the path of least resistance. Range offers this, as it should.

How do you survive melee in zergs with just WoR? I’ve tried every build and ive played 500 hours of the game as a guardian, their by far one of the more tankier classes, and yes i get lots of kills too, but i don’t see how you survive big zergs unless you have a guild team with you or other people who use melee with you, when im pugging in wvw im usually the only pure melee user and i don’t always die but i find it very hard to stop 30 people from focus fireing you down, so i find myself often running in and doing small skrimish fights which do fine since i dont have 30 people focus firing me.

If its a l2p issue then teach me how to tank 30 people, Im aware of WoR and i don’t consider myself a bad player im highly ranked in pvp and i’m in one of the top pvp /wvw guilds and was also in gw1.

*When i run with my guild who will have 5 other people meeling with me, then yes i can tank and mitigate enough damage in 30v30 zergs, but in pugs when im the only melee character i find it hard when im against a decent enemy force.

I never said i do bad in wvw infact i get more kills then deaths and dont die often even in the 30v30 zergs, but i do have a hard time in the bigger zergs without an organized team with me I usually dont end up dieing, but i end up having to back out real fast.

I know when to use my skills

I know not to blindly charge into a zerg i wait for the right time

I know How to use skills to mitigate

I know WoR

I have played every differetn guardian build out their

I still find range more viable in WvW

Why does only 5 percent of the people use melee (Pugs)

The problem i have is im the only melee person a lot of the time so i get focus fired when i go in, i use my mitigated damage and healing skills which will let me live to get a few kills.

Btw since were one upping eachother,

I have 10,000 badges of honor

I probably kill 10 people to 1 of my deaths

I get most of my kills in smaller skrimishes if im pugging in wvw

If im not pugging in wvw and have atleast 3 other melee people to 30 enemis then i can feal very effective

The problem seems to be no one uses melee in big skrimishes
Do you guys disagree with this? Im talking general population not your organized guilds.

If everyone stopped trolling me and read my posts, they’d see that my main problem is BARELY ANYONE USES MELEE, MELEE WOULD BECOME MORE VIABLE IN WVW IF MORE PEOPLE USED IT

THATS MY PROBLEM

*Not to mention a good ranged character can kite around a non hammer guardian far to easily, theirs a FEW other guardian builds that make it HALF DECENT in stopping kiting, but thats not right imo.

My d/d ele, my necro and my theif HAVE NEVER ONCE DIED TO A GUARDIAN, a guardian is my main so i know where his super uber weakness is unless hes wielding a hammer, and no the teleport meditation has a long cooldown and will allow u to get one hit.