Give us a TARGET LOCK feature.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bloodtau.4672

Bloodtau.4672

Getting sick of finally getting the target I want with your god awful targeting system in this game, only to have it drop my target or select something ELSE when I cast a skill. No I don’t want to waste my elite on akittenpet or turret just because you have terrible coding in place which makes this happen.

Code in a system which locks down your target until you actually select another. Make the game actually playable.

Posted by: Pict.5472

Pict.5472

I agree.

I play a Ranger and i loose target all the time, it automaticlly targets my pet but im still shooting at the npc. Work that one out, deff’ something that needs improving.

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

No friggin way, imho. There should be no target lock at all. As a matter of fact this should be the game of skill it isn’t; at least one has to re-acquire their target at times.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

reasonable in a game that relies on kiting so much. Though people react to suggestions much better when they are voiced in a reasonable tone, just saying…

Pict.5472

No friggin way, imho. There should be no target lock at all. As a matter of fact this should be the game of skill it isn’t; at least one has to re-acquire their target at times.

Game of skill ?

I acquire my target and then it bugs out to my pet, then i have to look for the original target again…whats skill about that ?

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

We have a target lock.Look under the input section for your keyboard,it has an input that says Lock Autotarget.

Pict.5472

We have a target lock.Look under the input section for your keyboard,it has an input that says Lock Autotarget.

Yeah i know, its bugged.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Its not bugged,its working as intended,untill your enemy dissapears of your screen that is and then auto selects a different target,you can also..disable this in the options menu.There are several options for targeting.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Really?
I hope you play with auto attack off.

But back to the point.
Yeah it would be nice just like in guildwars where you dont lose your target for some odd reason, Melee doesnt have this problem but when you range, its quite an issue.

But in any case this thread should be in suggestion forum for future reference.

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

First of all there are a handful of targeting bugs that we are addressing right now.

Once those are solved we will try and design a stickier targeting option for those players that want to keep their target a little bit better.

Personal tip since this happens to me a lot. I lose my target a lot because I am ground targeting and click a bunch of times to fire it off, after the skill has fired, the subsequent left clicks end up deselecting. I have started using my mouse to aim, but double tapping any ground target skills on the keyboard which has mitigated a lot of my issues.

Jon

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

First of all there are a handful of targeting bugs that we are addressing right now.

Once those are solved we will try and design a stickier targeting option for those players that want to keep their target a little bit better.

Personal tip since this happens to me a lot. I lose my target a lot because I am ground targeting and click a bunch of times to fire it off, after the skill has fired, the subsequent left clicks end up deselecting. I have started using my mouse to aim, but double tapping any ground target skills on the keyboard which has mitigated a lot of my issues.

Jon

I really hope ranger pets AI is in the list of priority fixes, There really should be no reason why my pet is standing 5 meters infront of me when we come to a stop :S

Thats bad doggy discipline in real life XD

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

Pro tip:

Set your target with Control-T

Target the set target, with T.

Now if you ever lose target, just hit T again.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

Really?
I hope you play with auto attack off.

But back to the point.
Yeah it would be nice just like in guildwars where you dont lose your target for some odd reason, Melee doesnt have this problem but when you range, its quite an issue.

But in any case this thread should be in suggestion forum for future reference.

That’s my point and suggestion to the topic. I should have clarified. Pets should not lose their masters target, agreed, and that is the only thing that should be automatic and entitled to non-skill based game-play. However, tab-targeting, auto targeting and auto-attacking for players should be completely removed from game-play. It is contributes to the farce of skill-based game-play.

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

Pro tip:

Irregardless, you’re still having to retarget. Many times I drop target ingame for no reason at all, i.e. they didn’t stealth, it just drops.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

This is mostly frustrating for me when I’m circle strafing 2-3 NPCs and they get behind me and fall out of my arc and I lost my target. While I’m flame bursting them as much as possible, the one that gets the brunt of my fireball is the most dead (mostly dead?), and I’d like to finish him off first, but I keep losing him when he pops out of the arc in front of me.

That is where it’s most noticeable for me. That is a wonderful tip, Defektive, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to manage that in the heat of battle. And maybe that means I’m just old and fail and ‘the bads’ and should leave, but I hope not, because other than a few little things like this, I am enjoying myself. :|

Posted by: Bluebird.1890

Bluebird.1890

Pro tip:

Irregardless, you’re still having to retarget. Many times I drop target ingame for no reason at all, i.e. they didn’t stealth, it just drops.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Jon

Grenades?

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Posted by: Liarian.4891

Liarian.4891

lol someone got owned in pvp

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m glad i’m playing a Guardian, doesn’t matter if I drop the target, I just AoE everything anyway 8D

Posted by: Notos.8409

Notos.8409

Jon

can we get the option to disable right click targeting?
also Key binds for
Target Nearest enemy (only mobs not turrets/racks of weapons)
Target Nearest enemy player (only other players not theirs pets)

edit: also tab targeting should work only on 90 degrees in front of you character
i’m sick for taragting things outside of my field of view

(edited by Notos.8409)

Posted by: Ryner.6895

Ryner.6895

Can we have an option to not be able to target friendlies. I am there trying to aim skills as ele while a warrior or guardian or pets are on top of the target and click them sometimes.

Please add in pve pk. Ty xoxoxoxo
ET – Heavens Blades

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Pro tip:

Then when it doesn’t work you suddenly remember you aren’t in a party and for some reason you aren’t allowed to call a target for yourself only.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

I agree.

I play a Ranger and i loose target all the time, it automaticlly targets my pet but im still shooting at the npc. Work that one out, deff’ something that needs improving.

Last I checked you could still attack somebody in the last game while cycling through the enemies looking for monks or something.

So clearly having something else highlighted and attacking something else has always been in the game.

Anyway im not having to many issues with this myself sure sometimes I attack something over the hill while im fighting 2 wolfs infront of me and get extra problems. The idea of the game is to move around and with that the possibility of losing your target, if the monster is out of sight then of course you won’t hit it like you could in the old game.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Well, you probably don’t want the solution i use, but i’ll put it forward anyway!!

What i did was turn off my Auto Targeting, now i have to manually choose a target (or better yet AIM, which has given me some significant range advantages, especially on stationary targets!!), with Auto Targeting off, even when i do claim a target my spazzy shooting and all that wont actually swap my target ever, even if i’m unloading into the guy infront of them (which is good imo).

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Jon

This works perfectly for me. It’s actually a decent system. You’ll attack whatever is closest to you. If u wanna switch you’ll have to use the mouse. Tab kinda sucks.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: Write.3192

Write.3192

I’m also having trouble targeting really big mobs, like event bosses and such. Like Tequatl in Sparkfly and Kol in Harathi. The game seems really specific about where you need to click in order to target these big guys and when I’m in melee and can only see their feet it doesn’t always work.

Posted by: Undertow.2389

Undertow.2389

I would REALLY love a “don’t allow targeting of allies in combat” option/feature. Since there are no beneficial spells you have to target and cast on allies, it’s incredibly frustrating trying click to target a specific mob in the middle of a bunch of warriors/thieves and keep getting them and having my offensive abilities do nothing. It’s an “other players are a bad thing” type feeling, something that this game has tried very hard to get rid of.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

I would love better targeting, i play a warrior and hate when i turn my camera real quick to see if anything spawned behind me and my guy turns and starts whacking the air. But this seems to be more of a bug rather then a targeting issue and doesn’t always happen.

Posted by: thenewzero.7246

thenewzero.7246

Jon

Any chance we could get the option to disable target deselecting when ground clicking? I find it to be a massive annoyance with absolutely no practical use at all. It’s like a “convenience feature” that actually makes things more difficult without making them more compelling.

It’d be like if pushing more than one movement key at the same time caused you to dodge. Sure, it would make dodging faster under certain circumstances, but the end result is that most of the time you’d end up dodging when you didn’t actually want to dodge. I never actually click the ground to clear my target, I use ESC.

I would REALLY love a “don’t allow targeting of allies in combat” option/feature. Since there are no beneficial spells you have to target and cast on allies, it’s incredibly frustrating trying click to target a specific mob in the middle of a bunch of warriors/thieves and keep getting them and having my offensive abilities do nothing. It’s an “other players are a bad thing” type feeling, something that this game has tried very hard to get rid of.

Also this. I like to play more support oriented builds, and I still hate when I end up targeting an ally.

Posted by: prencher.7381

prencher.7381

Jon

There’s a problem with that setup too – if you hit the key 3 times quickly (heat of the moment kind of deal), it brings up a targeting reticle that you have to cancel out of, because the ability is on cooldown (activated on second tap).

Posted by: Jonnyguitar.1684

Jonnyguitar.1684

Jon

I play with right mouse held down pretty much 100% of the time and i never left click anything hardly and yet i still lose my target all the time.

It seems the game thinks pressing a mouse button down, even though its held means you are clicking in the game field, even when you arent.

Also if you are using auto target and look away from your target or it moves out of front view, it drops, which makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i agree whit evrything targeting in pvp is CRAPPpppppppppppp

Posted by: FourTwo.7613

FourTwo.7613

Jon

Hi Jon, I think it would be much appreciated if you could let us know if there is a mouse look option for targetting in the works as mentioned in this suggestion thread (which quite a number of us really hope to either use it or have it implemented officially : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Combat-UI-improvements/first)

The reason is that while games like FFXI and Wow are fine with the hold the Right Mouse Button down mouselook option, the combat in GW2 is much more reactive and of a much faster pace, that I find that I simply have difficulty playing GW2 after a while because of having to hold the RMB down all the time.

Targetting and maintaining the target is another issue, as tab targetting cycles through the target which may not be the one i’m looking at, and often times is a bit hard to tell which mob i have targetted.

Thanks again for your hard work!