Give us your bored masses-come to Guild Wars

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

I recently started playing GW1 again, after 1200 hours in GW2. I got tired and bored with the style of GW2, and the third time I started GW again, I loved it. I’m playing with my girlfriend, and we’re having a great time. I thought I’d get bored of the whole thing again, having spent close to 4k hours in it, but so far it’s been feeling really fresh and new (helped by quite a few skill updates and upgrades).

So if you’re tired of GW2, come back to GW1 and try it out again! It’s nice to have skill variety and flexibility again.
You might be surprised.

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

Isnt this kinda a preaching to the choir message? (like any1 that has linked their accounts prolly has/will/may/never/is logging into GW1 xD)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

No. I won’t be surprised. I log on to gw1 once a month to collect birthday presents and keep my status as guild leader but the game has lost its charm. I go out in the maps and they feel dead. No other players. No events. No NPCs running up to speak to me. No map chatter. Just the mobs walking their endless routes or endlessly circling around their spawn point.

What’s worse is how the maps funnel you along from place to place. High walls with narrow corridors keep you on the pathway from here to there. And heaven forbid a stick be in the way. You can’t even step over it.

Fighting is standing in one spot and exchanging hits, while your monk keeps you alive. No stafing as stafing breaks your attack animation and dodging isn’t in game. It feels incredibly static and counterintuitive now to stand there without moving, hitting the target while it hits you and your monk heals and buffs.

So thanks, but no thanks. For me that’s a game that has had its day.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

No. I won’t be surprised. I log on to gw1 once a month to collect birthday presents and keep my status as guild leader but the game has lost its charm. I go out in the maps and they feel dead. No other players. No events. No NPCs running up to speak to me. No map chatter. Just the mobs walking their endless routes or endlessly circling around their spawn point.

What’s worse is how the maps funnel you along from place to place. High walls with narrow corridors keep you on the pathway from here to there. And heaven forbid a stick be in the way. You can’t even step over it.

Fighting is standing in one spot and exchanging hits, while your monk keeps you alive. No stafing as stafing breaks your attack animation and dodging isn’t in game. It feels incredibly static and counterintuitive now to stand there without moving, hitting the target while it hits you and your monk heals and buffs.

So thanks, but no thanks. For me that’s a game that has had its day.

Well said. Guild Wars was amazing and I had a blast playing it. I will always remember it as one of my favourite games ever. But the combat system in GW2 leaves it for dead.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Was there no auto-attacks in the game? Ranger had Power Shot that you had to activate and it came with cooldown. I remember playing monk. I was running around and when I cast (short activation time) skill it stopped movement briefly. It didn’t feel that cumbersome. You can dodge attacks in both games by moving out of the way and projectiles in GW1 by quickly strafing.

Movement vs. skill use was important dynamic for GvGs. Whenever you stopped to cast you were vulnerable to warriors. You could reduce the amount of damage you take by constantly moving away. Skill activation time was also a function of this vulnerability.

(edited by Zenith.6403)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Was there no auto-attacks in the game? Ranger had Power Shot that you had to activate and it came with cooldown. I remember playing monk. I was running around and when I cast (short activation time) skill it stopped movement briefly. It didn’t feel that cumbersome. You can dodge attacks in both games by moving out of the way and projectiles in GW1 by quickly strafing.

Movement vs. skill use was important dynamic for GvGs. Whenever you stopped to cast you were vulnerable to warriors. You could reduce the amount of damage you take by constantly moving away. Skill activation time was also a function of this vulnerability.

Yes, there was autoattack. But If you moved during any skill including autoattack, it was stopped. It didn’t feel cumbersome at the time. At the time it felt natural and flowing. It most definitely feels cumbersome and clunky now, compared to this game. Which was my point. It was a good game for the time and I played it for years but now the mechanics feel clunky and the maps feel dead.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I still play GW1, along with a whole load of other games. I couldn’t imagine sticking to just 1 game and I’m not surprised that people who do end up burned out and sick of it.

But I have to admit as much as there are some thing in GW1 I prefer overall I think GW2 is much better, there are far more things about this game I miss when I’m playing the original than vice versa.

For example I love exploring in both GW1 and 2 but whilst the scenery still looks beautiful in the original that’s pretty much all there is to find. On rare occasions there’s a quest giver out in a zone instead of in a town, but most of the maps are just mobs, random chests and objectives for quests you’ve already accepted. Whereas GW2 maps have all kinds of little settlements and camps, NPCs with amusing dialogue or bits of lore about the area, jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, event chains I’ve not seen before (or not seen at that stage) and so on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

if i had enough friend log in id do more stuff but the only thing i do is go to pre and hunt char anymore but once a month and check presents

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I’d need some pro-GW1ers to babysit me through it for HoM stuffs. I’ve tried a few times, but I suck so much as I want to jump about and dodge! I can see it was probably cool in its day, but feels so restrictive now.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s the thing about Guild Wars 1, it’s very linear compared to this game, even down to how you move around. Many maps are narrow paths with towering unclimbable walls on each side. Even when it opened up in the later maps they still weren’t as open as this game.

When you go into a map there, what you do is also very linear. You’re either doing a quest that you got or you’re getting a quest to do. Once you’ve gotten one, it’s follow the quest line till its done. Each time you enter a map the mobs are always standing in the same spots or they are on their circuit. When I come out of Kamadan for example, I know there will be plant mobs at certain spots and where the bosses are standing. There’s no variation, unless you accept a quest which affects the mobs and in that case it will always be the same effect. It’s a very static game compared to this one.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I am a ritualist.

However, I am forever stopped at a certain point because there’s stuff I don’t like and I just don’t want to do that, went digging for an old post about it.

The skill buying hit me as punishing ever since I noticed that the price from vendor starts at, I recall, 50 gold (1 gold in Guild Wars = the least possible amount of money) which is cheap, yay… only rising after every skill until it is 1 platinum (1000 gold), and… it just was a negative thing and I still can’t stand it. I did make temporary characters at one point to get monk skills without paying too much but that’s a pain. My monk heroes pretty much only have early skills available to them.

A more cheerful one:

I still love the festivals and outside of those I do some random things. Try collecting traveler items, get Zaishen bounties or missions, farm something, or sort my item collections or whatever.

I don’t like any too difficult stuff though so I haven’t even beaten most of the game. I just wander around.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Gave it a go but just didn’t resonate with me, everything felt a bit rigid and stale.

In terms of the genre, it does show how far we’ve come with regards to the systems, mechanics and building real living breathing dynamic worlds.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

my favourite part of GW1 was alliance battles and fort aspenwood,
both became graveyards unfortunately so GW1 doesn’t have the appeal it used to.

but meh, i guess i can still fly around as my dragon character!
(gotta love endless combat tonics)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I used to play GW1 many years ago but I didn’t like that everything was instanced except for cities. I got lonely and bored quickly. Also, some of the missions were just too hard for me (I guess I suck). I liked subclasses, though (or whatever you call them). I wouldn’t go back.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Just a flesh wound.3589 pretty much nailed it.
GW1 was epic for its time, I played it for almost 7 years straight without breaks longer than 1-2 weeks.
I so enjoyed building my own teams (heroes ftw), tweaking them further and further and then watch us mastering almost every challenge possible.
It was almost like composing a piece of music first and then play it on the piano.
It was great, it was fun and I still miss some aspects of it (being able to create equaly effective builds outside of the so called meta was incredibly satisfying).

But as Just a flesh wound.3589 said- the combat now feels so incredibly clunky, I only log in every now and then to check my birthday presents

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

I still play GW1, I definately prefer its buiild system,to having ones build largely dictated by weapon; both games have a place, GW1 can definatly feel lonely now if your not part of an established active guild. (I am lucky that way.)

But sometimes its just fun to stand there spamming whirling D. and watching Hoards of Destroyers fall.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.

Just a flesh wound.3589

By coincidence, this was the day for me to do my once a month login to Guild Wars 1.

NO ACTION CAMERA!

ugh. back to holding down the right mouse button.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Restarted character in gw1 just a few weeks ago, such a great nostalgia feeling.

Gw2 has the fatal flaws of being overly dumbed down for the basic player coupled ( which they still get slaughtered by the dozen) with no real end game content. I can’t help but question why theres build sites for classes…..when there is only a few traits per a class that are viable. Combat system is just a spam fest, you can interrupt a skill but they can continue on with attack chain…zzzzzz

Universal rewards kills the game outside of farm maps like silverwaste or orr. Theres little to no incentive to go to areas unless its for node running.

Being able to choose whatever weapon I desire regardless of my class…… priceless. But if gw2 is your thing well… for everything else theres your mastercard

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I quit playing gw1 originally when the NPC’s were released. To me the game became useless there. I know the people who stayed love it, but an opinion is just that. I wouldn’t mind finding a group to play with once a week or so to work on hall of monument ap.

Posted by: Nythrilyn.2146

Nythrilyn.2146

Each time you enter a map the mobs are always standing in the same spots or they are on their circuit. When I come out of Kamadan for example, I know there will be plant mobs at certain spots and where the bosses are standing.

True, but not for Prophecies when it comes to the bosses. When I got Legendary Skill Hunter, Prophecies took the longest (even though it has the least amount of elite skills to capture) because the bosses share their spawn spots with like 4 – 6 other bosses lol, but it was still fun.
I still play Guild Wars, and a couple of other games at present. At this stage I am done with this game. It use to be fun, now it just seems like another gated korean style grinding game.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Each time you enter a map the mobs are always standing in the same spots or they are on their circuit. When I come out of Kamadan for example, I know there will be plant mobs at certain spots and where the bosses are standing.

True, but not for Prophecies when it comes to the bosses. When I got Legendary Skill Hunter, Prophecies took the longest (even though it has the least amount of elite skills to capture) because the bosses share their spawn spots with like 4 – 6 other bosses lol, but it was still fun.
I still play Guild Wars, and a couple of other games at present. At this stage I am done with this game. It use to be fun, now it just seems like another gated korean style grinding game.

I didn’t say it was the same boss in that spot. Just that there will always be a boss standing there, without fail, when you get on the map.

ANet may give it to you.

Nythrilyn.2146

I didn’t say it was the same boss in that spot. Just that there will always be a boss standing there, without fail, when you get on the map.

Ok.. Calm down O.o thanks for spelling it out for me.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok.. Calm down O.o thanks for spelling it out for me.

Np. But when someone comes on a thread and says I’m wrong like when you said but not for Prophecies when it comes to the bosses., like most people I’m going to defend what I said.

ANet may give it to you.

echo.2053

Lol you do realize that is still the case within GW2……. The cave troll ALWAYS spawns in the cave at Altar’s Windings in queensdale, Modniir Ulgoth ALWAYS spawns at Modniir Gorge. etc for the rest of them.

The only differences is that they respawn in gw2 without having to reload map ( not really that big of a deal) and in gw2 they don’t drop unqiue items ( a big deal)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lol you do realize that is still the case within GW2……. The cave troll ALWAYS spawns in the cave at Altar’s Windings in queensdale, Modniir Ulgoth ALWAYS spawns at Modniir Gorge. etc for the rest of them.

The only differences is that they respawn in gw2 without having to reload map ( not really that big of a deal) and in gw2 they don’t drop unqiue items ( a big deal)

That doesn’t mean you’ll always see them at that spot. You can enter the map and they might be there, and they might not. What I’m saying with the Guild Wars 1 bosses is that they are ALWAYS there. Without fail. Each and every time you go into the map and go to that spot. There is zero variability on that score.

ANet may give it to you.

echo.2053

That doesn’t mean you’ll always see them at that spot. You can enter the map and they might be there, and they might not. What I’m saying with the Guild Wars 1 bosses is that they are ALWAYS there. Without fail. Each and every time you go into the map and go to that spot. There is zero variability on that score.

Your comparing an instanced map against a open world map for a moot point. Waiting x minutes for it to respawn doesn’t change the fact that it will still SPAWN IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT WHERE IT DIED.

Gw1 bosses also offered unqiue rewards verus universal rewards from gw2 bosses XD

In the end though its user preferance, If you prefer to run around getting same reward from bosses without having to reload the map – then power to ya mate

Deleena.3406

@echo….The only differences is that they respawn in gw2 without having to reload map ( not really that big of a deal) and in gw2 they don’t drop unqiue items ( a big deal)
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

How odd i recall people treating the boss green drops like unwanted junk xD

Just a flesh wound.3589

Your comparing an instanced map against a open world map for a moot point. Waiting x minutes for it to respawn doesn’t change the fact that it will still SPAWN IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT WHERE IT DIED.

Gw1 bosses also offered unqiue rewards verus universal rewards from gw2 bosses XD

In the end though its user preferance, If you prefer to run around getting same reward from bosses without having to reload the map – then power to ya mate

Ok. Whatever. You’re happy with a map where everything is there when you walk in, no surprises and I’m bored with it. Tastes vary. Have fun in your instanced maps where every single time you go there it’s exactly the same, except maybe it’s boss A instead of boss B sometimes, and there’s no one in there but you and your group. More power to ya mate if that’s what you like. I prefer a touch of variety myself.

Have fun in game.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Nythrilyn.2146

Either way, I will always prefer Guild Wars (for many reasons over this game). But at the moment I am having fun in Skyforge, being able to change between 13 different classes is my touch of variety. New game, new community, its all feeling new to me. I haven’t completely shelved GW2, just taking a break from it.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

my favourite part of GW1 was alliance battles and fort aspenwood,
both became graveyards unfortunately so GW1 doesn’t have the appeal it used to.

but meh, i guess i can still fly around as my dragon character!
(gotta love endless combat tonics)

I’ll second this, AB and FA were the two things I still loved about the game. And since they are dead now, no appeal to go back.

I have considered numerous times to go back to improve my HoM points, but its such a grind I just couldnt stand it anymore.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Easy there on they don’t drop unique items, because some bosses do. Look up Spirit Links in the wiki. The only place I’ve ever seen it drop is SB. And stuff like crustacea only drops from the karka queen and that’s part of a collection. In fact, most stuff in the exotics and treasure hunter collection only drops from certain events/bosses.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Either way, I will always prefer Guild Wars (for many reasons over this game). But at the moment I am having fun in Skyforge, being able to change between 13 different classes is my touch of variety. New game, new community, its all feeling new to me. I haven’t completely shelved GW2, just taking a break from it.

Skyforge looks fun at a glance, thanks.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Easy there on they don’t drop unique items, because some bosses do. Look up Spirit Links in the wiki. The only place I’ve ever seen it drop is SB. And stuff like crustacea only drops from the karka queen and that’s part of a collection. In fact, most stuff in the exotics and treasure hunter collection only drops from certain events/bosses.

Indeed, but surprisingly those bosses are – just like in GW1 – in the same place always and even on a timer. In GW1 at least you don’t have to wait if you want to kill some boss, it is always there.
And no, just because the karka queen can spawn in 4 random locations does not mean it’s a random spawn. Same thing still.

Deleena.3406

I think all the Prophecies bosses was random (its why i hated elite capping in it :s)
also there was some group variations. even if there are no quest active in a area at all
(like 2 monks mobs or non at all)

/played to much gw1

reapex.8546

I think all the Prophecies bosses was random (its why i hated elite capping in it :s)
also there was some group variations. even if there are no quest active in a area at all

/played to much gw1

Not all of them, only about 12 or something (rough approximate guess)

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i completely went back to gw1 a few months ago. gw2 has lost it’s hype and the superficial shinies just can’t compare to the depth gw1 has. that it became grindy as kitten with hot didn’t help either.
also i get to play with my NA and asian frands in gw1! gw1 is just so less restrictive than gw2. and there’s actual pvp/gvg there. nothing like the sad slaughterfest we call gw2 “pvp”.

Deleena.3406

/played to much gw1

Way more then that even the bosses without elites didnt always show up (did alot of farming xD) actually i only recall Maw the Mountain Heart having a consistent spot
(and the mission only bosses but they dont really count as explorable mobs IMO)

too bad Mountain Heart Poi is gone now that was a neat thowback touch to GW1 :s

Vayne.8563

Indeed, but surprisingly those bosses are – just like in GW1 – in the same place always and even on a timer. In GW1 at least you don’t have to wait if you want to kill some boss, it is always there.
And no, just because the karka queen can spawn in 4 random locations does not mean it’s a random spawn. Same thing still.

Well sure the bosses are always there. It’s an instance. There’s be zero point in making an instance that doesn’t exist before you enter it not spawn.

With a true MMO, something Guild Wars 1 was not. you run into other problems. In this case people wanting to do content and having to randomly find it. If a boss that dropped a specific item that people wanted spawned randomly in either time, place or both, you’d get complaints.

This happened recently with the Dune Soarer, a rare event that appeared very rarely in Dry Top. No one cared about it, because it didn’t drop anything special. But as soon as it dropped something players wanted/needed, there were a wave of complaints about not being able to get what they need.

It’s very easy to say this game shouldn’t be on a timer, or it should have creatures that drop unique items randomly spawn…but all you’d hear is complaints on the forums. People with a lack of time would be massively disadvantaged by making that stuff more random because they’d be less likely to get it.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

So i never actually beat gw1 does anyone want to babysit me through it. Will pay gw2 gold

echo.2053

Lulz nice try guy- do your research.

spirit links from mf – 1 Eldritch Scroll 70 Mystic Coin 10Orichalcum Ingot 250 Glob of Ectoplasm

Crustacea is obtained from specfic type champ bags, karka queen is just convient because you get 3 chances for killing her. You can possible get it from a champ bag from the champion reef shark etc.

GW2 unqiues – So unique you can obtain them from multiple places or or ez mode craft them.

Posted by: Oregon.5673

Oregon.5673

I lived and breathed GW for many years.
Looked forward to the promise of something better, because it was getting stale.
With the exception of PvP, I had done or tried most everything in the game.
Then GW2 came out.
And it GW2 is better, far better, than GW ever was, in my opinion.
GW was the first generation, GW2 is the next gen.
I tried going back, to play a couple of the 27 toons that I have there.
But I found that GW is just so clunky to me, I can’t get back into it.
I do miss the skill/build diversity.
Is GW2 perfect for me, well on the whole, yes.
Does it have its issues? Oh, yeah… most definitely.
Will I be leaving GW2 and going back to GW, where there is no future, hell no.
I enjoy GW2 for what it is and I won’t be going anywhere.

Just a flesh wound.3589

So i never actually beat gw1 does anyone want to babysit me through it. Will pay gw2 gold

May I suggest you try Guild Wars 1 Guru to look for a guild or others playing that game.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

So many good times. I still play GW1.

Vayne.8563

Lulz nice try guy- do your research.

spirit links from mf – 1 Eldritch Scroll 70 Mystic Coin 10Orichalcum Ingot 250 Glob of Ectoplasm

Crustacea is obtained from specfic type champ bags, karka queen is just convient because you get 3 chances for killing her. You can possible get it from a champ bag from the champion reef shark etc.

GW2 unqiues – So unique you can obtain them from multiple places or or ez mode craft them.

Do your own research. It can be crafted or bought off the TP. But the ONLY place spirit links DROPS in game is SB. Says so on the wiki page.

We were talking about drops. Now you might argue in Guild Wars 1, there was no way to craft it, and that’s true. That’s because you couldn’t craft in Guild Wars 1.

You can also look up items like Sam, All Seeing, Chalice of Rendak, Ulgoth’s Tail, Pendent of Arah, all of which only drop from specific chests, after specific bosses.

Deleena.3406

Really in the the end its about the same alot of GW1 unique items didnt have alot of value to them (well to me GW1 items had no value because i wasnt willing to sit around town to try to sell them xD " I rather be actually playing!)

although i will say i have made more gold simply playing GW2 vs farming in GW1
i have overall enjoyed my GW2 experience.
i prolly wont return to GW1 simply because there isnt anything new to see.
(also i hate not being able to move for casting/attacking)
i dont really miss the build system only a hand full of the skill was useful (i dare any1 to make a build with “Scribe’s Insight” xD)

reapex.8546

/played to much gw1

Way more then that even the bosses without elites didnt always show up (did alot of farming xD) actually i only recall Maw the Mountain Heart having a consistent spot
(and the mission only bosses but they dont really count as explorable mobs IMO)

too bad Mountain Heart Poi is gone now that was a neat thowback touch to GW1 :s

I only remember 1-3 areas with random spawns in prophecies xD.