Glider dyeable but not backpack!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Samaelle.9301

Samaelle.9301

Hi guys!

So I just bought the Moth wings glider & backpack after I found out you could dye the glider. Since I didn’t really like it at the start cause its colors are too flashy for my taste, I was pretty excited. But I was upset to find out that the backpack isn’t dyeable as well… :l

It’s my mistake, but I think it’d be cool if you could dye the backpack as well when you can do it with the glider! Or else it kinda makes it look weird (in my opinion) to have the same glider and backpack but different colors. xD

So I was wondering if, in the case devs or admins see this post, it would be possible in the future? Do you plan to make both dyeable? I mean it doesn’t look like something that would be too difficult to bring in the game (maybe I’m wrong though ^^ ). I think it would make some of us happy

What do you guys think?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Being able to dye backpacks is something that’s been requested for a very, very long time. From what I recall from previous dev responses, it’d be difficult and/or not really worth the effort (since it would require a LOT of work to go back and change the system).

Edit: Found the dev response(s) I was thinking of.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/first#post6260425
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/first#post6267238

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

oh believe me, with all the back items already available it is more then worth it.
we now have glider-backpack combo’s that just don’t add up when you can dye the glider but not the back item.
last bundle that bugs me is the vile wing bundle, my glider is nicely dark purple but the back item is still green. (and ruins the concept i have)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

for some backpieces it would be pointless though. Like SAB ones, which defeats the purpose of doing the achievements to get the specific colored one. If they ever did implement it, then they would have to be specific on which ones they allowed to be dyeable.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

for some backpieces it would be pointless though. Like SAB ones, which defeats the purpose of doing the achievements to get the specific colored one. If they ever did implement it, then they would have to be specific on which ones they allowed to be dyeable.

I’d be okay with some backpacks not being dyable. It’s the ones that double as wings that really need the dye channels. Like the Shining Blade pack/wings or the newest released ones.

I considered getting the current backpack/wings and justifying the color change as some sort of energizing/power-up effect. I’unno. I’d rather ANet implement the dye channels so these back/wing items are coherent.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: zionophir.6845

zionophir.6845

whats the purpose of selling a black wing and a white wing then if you can dye them?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

whats the purpose of selling a black wing and a white wing then if you can dye them?

The reason that they sell both is because they can’t be dyed. If they could have created dyeable back items in the first place, then they wouldn’t have originally sold them with specific colors.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Samaelle.9301

I’m not talking about all backpacks of course ! ^^
I understand that’d be way too much work.

I’m specifically talking about the combos glider+backpack when the glider is ALREADY dyeable (unlike the black/white feather wings gliders, which aren’t dyeable in the first place) ! I mean, it’d just be normal that you could dye the backpack if you can dye the glider or else it kinda ruins your style, as sorudo said!

Anyway, let’s just hope it happens some day!
That’d be really nice

(edited by Samaelle.9301)

Posted by: Gwydeon.3580

Gwydeon.3580

Love this glider, absolutely won’t buy in a package with the backpack skin if I can’t dye the backpack to match.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Once again from the top. For whatever reasons, backpacks aren’t dyeable, probably because they aren’t “armor”. They never had been. Of course the issue crops up now once they introduced retroactively backpacks that double as gliders which tend to be dyeable. So now everytime they introduced a backpack/glider combo, this topic comes up.

So add it to the “things that aren’t likely to change” list and let it go.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Except to change even one backpack means changing them all — the system has to support the dye channel, which means retrofitting existing items, too.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m specifically talking about the combos glider+backpack when the glider is ALREADY dyeable (unlike the black/white feather wings gliders, which aren’t dyeable in the first place) ! I mean, it’d just be normal that you could dye the backpack if you can dye the glider or else it kinda ruins your style, as sorudo said!

Anyway, let’s just hope it happens some day!
That’d be really nice

From what they said they it would be a large amount of work with the distinct possibility of introducing game breaking bugs that might not be easily fixable.

…… This sounds like a it could be good idea, but it doesn’t sidestep the issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do. The older assets would still be affected. We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges and bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it. Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game. Not to mention finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of how fundamental this part of our system is. We’d still probably end up having to re-author and retexture all old items (which would take a ton of resources) and even if we did do that, more players may end up upset by the minor texture changes to their current gear than those who can’t dye backpacks….

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Samaelle.9301

oooh I see, didn’t think it would be such a pain in the butt, too bad. :p

Well thank you all for your answers! I’ll still be secretly hoping that it happens some day, though now I know it’s unlikely gonna be the case.

You all have a good day!

(edited by Samaelle.9301)

sorudo.9054

city of heroes had the same roadblock with power dye’s, didn’t stop them from making it eventually. (then again, cryptic is just lazy, when NCsoft made paragon studios things all of a sudden became possible)

Behellagh.1468

city of heroes had the same roadblock with power dye’s, didn’t stop them from making it eventually. (then again, cryptic is just lazy, when NCsoft made paragon studios things all of a sudden became possible)

The key word there was eventually. People asked for it since day one and it took them until Issue 16 (5 1/2 years in) to deliver on it after many years of playing down the possibility. Likely it was part of the longer term planned side switching that led to Going Rogue.

Plus it wasn’t the same roadblock. We are talking about adding color channels to a set of skins that currently don’t have any PLUS the UI change to the dying panel to include backs. In CoH it has a graphics programmer issue to adjust particle effects while here it’s primarily an artist issue.

RIP City of Heroes

sorudo.9054

The key word there was eventually. People asked for it since day one and it took them until Issue 16 (5 1/2 years in) to deliver on it after many years of playing down the possibility. Likely it was part of the longer term planned side switching that led to Going Rogue.

Plus it wasn’t the same roadblock. We are talking about adding color channels to a set of skins that currently don’t have any PLUS the UI change to the dying panel to include backs. In CoH it has a graphics programmer issue to adjust particle effects while here it’s primarily an artist issue.

CoH didn’t just have particle effect issues, they added whole different effects in it, they also had to change the character creation screen so it fits the UI.

ps. the change only happened AFTER cryptic left, it was never an issue of time but knowledge.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ps. the change only happened AFTER cryptic left, it was never an issue of time but knowledge.

time is always an issue for development — there is never enough time to do all the things that people want. (Knowledge is sometimes a blocking issue, sometimes a time-consuming or time-saving element.)

sorudo.9054

time is always an issue for development — there is never enough time to do all the things that people want. (Knowledge is sometimes a blocking issue, sometimes a time-consuming or time-saving element.)

ofcourse it takes time, but constantly claiming it’s impossible to do but after a dev team switch it’s most certainly possible does make some heads turn…..

Behellagh.1468

ofcourse it takes time, but constantly claiming it’s impossible to do but after a dev team switch it’s most certainly possible does make some heads turn…..

And sometimes it just takes someone new with superior knowledge to create an achievable solution in a reasonable time frame. But with art assets it’s all elbow grease, no clever trick to accelerate the process.

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Which is why no one is claiming that it’s impossible. People are saying, in different ways, that it’s expensive, very expensive. And people are further saying that there are other, important things to which those same resources can be devoted.

Suppose the cost of making the change is X, but if new dev resources are brought in (at cost Y), then it will only cost 0.1*X. Then the costs are still 0.1*X + Y and those costs could still be targeted at all sorts of other things.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

This new backpack/glider combo just begs for the backpack to be dyeable. Otherwise, the backpack looks like a lump of dirty gray metal. I heartily agree that gliders that are dyeable should have their corresponding backpacks dyeable as well. We are paying good money for these things after all.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

This new backpack/glider combo just begs for the backpack to be dyeable. Otherwise, the backpack looks like a lump of dirty gray metal. I heartily agree that gliders that are dyeable should have their corresponding backpacks dyeable as well. We are paying good money for these things after all.

They’ve posted numerous times it’s a time consuming issue of recoding/changing models of all previously released backpeices, and as many people want dyeable weapons as well, it’d add more and stall any new upcoming/expected content.

Though of course we all want the ability for it, its not seemingly practical immediately or in the near future.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

This point is my bane on the destroyer wings.
For some weird reason anet chose to give is green destroyer wings instead of red oned.
Glider can bye dyed fiery red, backpack is stuck sickly green

Amaimon.7823

They’ve posted numerous times it’s a time consuming issue of recoding/changing models of all previously released backpeices, and as many people want dyeable weapons as well, it’d add more and stall any new upcoming/expected content.

Though of course we all want the ability for it, its not seemingly practical immediately or in the near future.

But cant they (retro)actively only do it for the combos? Theres not too many of those (yet), and only if the glider variant is also dyeable

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

But cant they (retro)actively only do it for the combos? Theres not too many of those (yet), and only if the glider variant is also dyeable

I believe that it has been stated already (and cited in this very thread) that even just trying to make /any/ back pieces dyable would effect all of them.
For what it’s worth, I would love to be able to dye my back pieces to match their corresponding gliders…

Though now that I think about it, I wonder… What if instead of adding separate dye channels to back pieces, they instead made the back pieces match the colors of the glider?
I don’t know if that would be any easier… I’m not a developer after all, but I do wonder about it. While that wouldn’t allow /total/ customization, it would be better then nothing!

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

For what it’s worth, I would love to be able to dye my back pieces to match their corresponding gliders…

Though now that I think about it, I wonder… What if instead of adding separate dye channels to back pieces, they instead made the back pieces match the colors of the glider? I don’t know if that would be any easier… I’m not a developer after all, but I do wonder about it. While that wouldn’t allow /total/ customization, it would be better then nothing!

When I was dyeing my glider, I was thinking the color of the backpack ought to automatically change to the color of its counterpart on the glider. I mean, that would make perfect sense. I see I’m not the only one to think along this line.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

We are paying good money for these things after all.

That isn’t the only consideration. The price of backpacks (and combo packs that include them) is based on them not being dyeable. If you don’t accept that, don’t pay. If you do pay, then accept that they can’t be dyed today.

Even if ANet was convinced today, by the force of the arguments in this thread, it would be a minimum of six months and more likely 12-18 months before we would see this addressed.

Personally, I’d prefer that level of resources be focused on other things, such as designing new skins, new types of animation, separating auras from infusions or jewels, etc.

Just a flesh wound.3589

We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges
unfortunately our systems were not designed with this in mind
Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game
We’d still encounter a ton of bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it.
finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack
would take a ton of resources

Something can be desired but be too much trouble to add or be too expensive to add as it takes resources from doing other things. I’m sure though that the Devs are aware that people want this and if a way to do so opens up it will be considered.

ANet may give it to you.

Amaimon.7823

Then maybe they should make a few colour options, not dyeing, just like 3 or 4 colour presets

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Though now that I think about it, I wonder… What if instead of adding separate dye channels to back pieces, they instead made the back pieces match the colors of the glider? I don’t know if that would be any easier… I’m not a developer after all, but I do wonder about it. While that wouldn’t allow /total/ customization, it would be better then nothing!

When I was dyeing my glider, I was thinking the color of the backpack ought to automatically change to the color of its counterpart on the glider. I mean, that would make perfect sense. I see I’m not the only one to think along this line.

That’s kind of what I was thinking to.
Basically, instead of having to fix and change the UI to accommodate dye channels on the back pieces, you just use the dye channels already there for the glider.
The real question, though, is if they could ‘back door’ color options to back pieces like that… I’m no developer obviously, I’m just kinda tossing ideas around…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Basically, instead of having to fix and change the UI to accommodate dye channels on the back pieces, you just use the dye channels already there for the glider.

The back skin and the glider skin aren’t the same ‘object’; they can’t be used interchangeably. They only share design features, to they pair well together (aside from color).

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s kind of what I was thinking to.
The real question, though, is if they could ‘back door’ color options to back pieces like that… I’m no developer obviously, I’m just kinda tossing ideas around…

We see identical backpieces and Glider as the same. That’s not how the game sees them.

From the above cited dev

The engine sees armor as what is called a composite, it sees things attached to your characters like weapons and backpieces as items, and it sees gliders as a sort of middleground item/effect. Our file structure separates gliders as items, but because of how they pop into view, layer, and more easily allow for dyes it makes sense to basically treat them as effects.

So you can’t just use the dye channels already there on gliders.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)