Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I know that a lot of people are very excited about the introduction of Mounts in GW2, but I really enjoy gliding. If I’m riding a mount, I’m not gliding so I’m not sure I’m so excited about mounts myself. I enjoy running up a hill or mountain and getting somewhere by gliding.

How do you feel about mounts vs. gliding?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I assume we can do both. Has something been said about gliding not functioning in PoF maps?

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Honestly they could have just given us the ability of true flight and that would have given players all the mobility they need. Mounts is OK and lacking true flight does add a travel dynamic to the game. It’s the least of my concerns as the new elites look to complicate the game enough.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I hope that we have maps that can still utilize gliding. In a balanced map space air space = gliders, land/underground = mounts.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Gliding is in the new maps. If you haven’t checked out WoodenPotatoes after show video they show exactly that in their preplay of the expansion.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think mounts (as implemented) and gliding are two very different things. They are both present in the game as mentioned above. And, both are fantastic QoL and FUN enhancements to the game. The only thing that would even compete with gliding would be true flying mounts, but again it would still be two different things. In WoW you have gliding-like abilities and gliders along with flying.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

I assume we can do both. Has something been said about gliding not functioning in PoF maps?

Well, I can’t see them allowing us to glide while mounted. And running up a hill on my mount, dismounting, then gliding sounds more complicated than just pressing the space bar. Of course if you are at the top of a mountain or tower you could just glide down. But I’m talking about running across the landscape from A to B.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

I’m assuming most people simply are responding to the title and didn’t read my actual post which is a shame because you aren’t actually responding to it.

I know that a lot of people are very excited about the introduction of Mounts in GW2, but I really enjoy gliding. If I’m riding a mount, I’m not gliding so I’m not sure I’m so excited about mounts myself. I enjoy running up a hill or mountain and getting somewhere by gliding.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If I can Yoshi-bounce off my Springer to go into glider mode, that’d be kittening shweeeet.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

DeanBB.4268

@Djinn: It’s difficult to properly respond when we haven’t played the game yet. I can’t imagine dismounting is any more difficult that pressing a key. So now it’ll be <dismount key> + <jump key> rather than just <jump key>. Is that really a big deal?

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If I can Yoshi-bounce off my Springer to go into glider mode, that’d be kittening shweeeet.

I’m so glad I’m not the only one thinking that.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

@Djinn: It’s difficult to properly respond when we haven’t played the game yet. I can’t imagine dismounting is any more difficult that pressing a key. So now it’ll be <dismount key> + <jump key> rather than just <jump key>. Is that really a big deal?

I’m not asking for experience. Perhaps you aren’t familiar with running across the map jumping & gliding as you go. It’s very fun. But all it requires is pressing your space bar as you go. Like hyperactive people who like just jumping as they run. It is seamless.

What you are describing isn’t a big deal and I never said my question was a big deal, but it isn’t exactly seamless either.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

I think gliding is really fun, and requires you to think a lot.

Mounts seem pretty meh to me, I don’t dislike them being in the game at all. However I am scared about the fact we might have to constantly be switching to effectively traverse the lands.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I am not too fond of the ever increasing number of travel mechanics. They should have left it at gliding, then coming up with mounts would have been cool news. Now, with the tons of mechanics already shoved down our throats since HoT, it’s just giving me a major headache.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Fractured.3928

I am not too fond of the ever increasing number of travel mechanics. They should have left it at gliding, then coming up with mounts would have been cool news. Now, with the tons of mechanics shoved down our throats since HoT, it’s just giving me a headache already.

Okay, have to get on my raptor, leap over this cliff, then glide down to this area, where I have to get on my bunny to hop up this area, and get on my weird fish floaty thing to do what it does, back to my raptor to jump across, and back to the…..etcet

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I just want to know, when do we get gliding in WvW?

Quick, flanking aerial from the top of Stonemist to NE inner gate, their tail is out and their driver has engaged the lord, GOGOGO!

Just sayin…

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

What about mounts that can glide?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Roughly speaking, isn’t “gliding” the same as riding a mount? It’s a way of getting from A to B that isn’t walking.

If mounts are as fun as Spiderman Webbing Oakheart’s Reach, then I imagine most of us will mostly have fun with them, too. And I’m sure that we’ll still be able to enjoy gliding; it just won’t be required in PoF zones.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

DeanBB.4268

@Djinn: Let’s just hope for a catapult mount! Give us a gold ol’ launch!

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Well, gliding was a new mechanic while mounts really seem to be built on the Zephyrite movement skills we had since Dry Top (jump extra high, dash forward etc). I would rather have masteries that allowed us to use those indefinitely to get around instead of mounts.

As things are I like gliding because for the most part gliders are convenient and not too obtrusive, and there’s a decent array of skins to choose from.

Mounts I’m not too keen on because you can’t just choose the one you like best and stick to it – you’ll have to use them all situationally. There’s a couple that just won’t fit with my aesthetic and it’d annoy me every time I have to use them. I’m imagining that there will be some skins in the gem store (maybe even in-game) to remedy this, at least.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

Roughly speaking, isn’t “gliding” the same as riding a mount? It’s a way of getting from A to B that isn’t walking.

If mounts are as fun as Spiderman Webbing Oakheart’s Reach, then I imagine most of us will mostly have fun with them, too. And I’m sure that we’ll still be able to enjoy gliding; it just won’t be required in PoF zones.

I enjoy gliding for travel. But from the gameplay video’s I’ve seen, mounts are going to be required for a good bit of travel in the new maps.

I also don’t look forward to the addition of yet more gimmicks to the game:

Okay, have to get on my raptor, leap over this cliff, then glide down to this area, where I have to get on my bunny to hop up this area, and get on my weird fish floaty thing to do what it does, back to my raptor to jump across, and back to the…..etcet

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Hmmm, I wonder if there will be updrafts in the new xpac maps. I really hope so. Mounts are nice, but I still would love to glide.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I enjoy gliding for travel. But from the gameplay video’s I’ve seen, mounts are going to be required for a good bit of travel in the new maps.

I still don’t understand where you see a difference. We can’t get around some of HoT without gliding; we won’t be able to get around some of PoF without mounts.

I’ve never been interested in mounts for GW2 (NPCs haven’t used them, why should we?). But the fact is: they are here. Let’s first see how they are before we try to be so sure that they are bad for the game or even bad for us individually.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

I still don’t understand where you see a difference.

ok

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’ve never been interested in mounts for GW2 (NPCs haven’t used them, why should we?).

Until HoT, that is. Then we started to see NPCs riding mounts.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

NPCs haven’t used them, why should we?

NPCs don’t use waypoints, or revive orbs either. I take it you’ll be following that precedent?

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

Honestly they could have just given us the ability of true flight and that would have given players all the mobility they need. Mounts is OK and lacking true flight does add a travel dynamic to the game. It’s the least of my concerns as the new elites look to complicate the game enough.

That would make jumping puzzle and exploration pointless. The map would be just a place to fly by as if you were playing with a free camera.
Aerial enemies and air combat could be implemented, but if it’s true flying then it would resemble water combat and we all know where that leads.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

That would make jumping puzzle and exploration pointless. The map would be just a place to fly by as if you were playing with a free camera.
Aerial enemies and air combat could be implemented, but if it’s true flying then it would resemble water combat and we all know where that leads.

If a JP were surrounded by a no-fly bubble it wouldn’t be an issue. But in a game where jumping is such a thing, true flying would definitely be a challenge unless it was only in specific areas. After all, that’s what swimming is (“flying” in specific areas). And I’m not sure that flying would lead to aerial enemies, but so what? What are you trying to say about water combat?

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

NPCs haven’t used them, why should we?

NPCs don’t use waypoints, or revive orbs either. I take it you’ll be following that precedent?

Actually they have used asura gates (waypoints are too pricey). Revive orbs are an outside-canon game mechanic. And in HoT, the only mounts I see were a specific couple of mordrem.

The point is: I didn’t feel any game need for mounts, the way some people think that all MMOs should have them. I wasn’t against mounts in games; they just made little sense for this one.

Even more to the point, you cut off the rest of my quote. Despite my lack of interest in them, I’m willing to wait to see how they play out in PoF before passing judgment on them as being worse or better than gliding.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Without having tested the mounts and only the trailer to judge by, they appear to either walk, or hover above the ground. I was hoping for a real flying mount, and yes, a Dragon or perhaps a Wyvern. But, to be honest with gliding and updrafts, I just love gliding. My favorite passtime is finding new places to jump from. Love VB, all the updrafts and just exploring. I can’t even imagine playing any other game, that would not offer the same freedom.

That said, I have a feeling places to jump from will be limited in the new EXP. Why? Mounts are a selling point. A new item to obtain, unlock, w/e. It seems unlikely we can get to all the various places just gliding. But I truely hope I’m wrong. I really want to glide through the new places, land on tricky perches and just set my own pace. It is (to me) the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I do in game. Whether I am using oakheart to get to the top of our guild hall so I can glide around on the way down, or in the new area completing Dwaynas missions with the poison clouds, any excuse and I am airborn and I really am happy. Sounds crazy I guess, but well you asked lol

I have played Lotro and had a stable of horses, but exploring was limited by mobs. With gliding, well the sky, is the limit

P.S. it’s the desert, will we be able to ride the Junundu?

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

This is the one of the worst things you could do. Having everyone in the skies, making all the effort into the world trivial. Plus a host of pve balance issues. Even the World of Warcraft devs always regretted adding in flying mounts, but it’s something once you add you can’t take away without MASSIVE backlash. I know AANET won’t ever do it—knock on wood—so we’re safe.

I personally would have just preferred gliding, though as long as we don’t have mount clutter—especially with norns and kittys—I am happy/fine with ground mounts.

I just hope there isn’t too much bunny fluff all over the ground! xd

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

Without having tested the mounts and only the trailer to judge by, they appear to either walk, or hover above the ground. I was hoping for a real flying mount, and yes, a Dragon or perhaps a Wyvern. But, to be honest with gliding and updrafts, I just love gliding. My favorite passtime is finding new places to jump from. Love VB, all the updrafts and just exploring. I can’t even imagine playing any other game, that would not offer the same freedom.

That said, I have a feeling places to jump from will be limited in the new EXP. Why? Mounts are a selling point. A new item to obtain, unlock, w/e. It seems unlikely we can get to all the various places just gliding. But I truely hope I’m wrong. I really want to glide through the new places, land on tricky perches and just set my own pace. It is (to me) the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I do in game. Whether I am using oakheart to get to the top of our guild hall so I can glide around on the way down, or in the new area completing Dwaynas missions with the poison clouds, any excuse and I am airborn and I really am happy. Sounds crazy I guess, but well you asked lol

Doesn’t sound crazy – I just enjoy gliding as I go from place to place. Running down a road I go a bit off the road and find a hill or something to jump from. I guess we’ll see how much gliding travel is possible in the new expansion.

I have played Lotro and had a stable of horses, but exploring was limited by mobs. With gliding, well the sky, is the limit

Lol, there are 4 mounts in the videos and non of them is a wurm.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

While that may be true, I’m certain my bouncybunny could survive the fall. -3-
Probably.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Doesn’t sound crazy – I just enjoy gliding as I go from place to place. Running down a road I go a bit off the road and find a hill or something to jump from. I guess we’ll see how much gliding travel is possible in the new expansion.

Lol, there are 4 mounts in the videos and non of them is a wurm.

Actually after remembering how we travelled via Junundu, we were swallowed and spat out lol, so um.. prolly just as well. Lol

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not asking for experience. Perhaps you aren’t familiar with running across the map jumping & gliding as you go. It’s very fun. But all it requires is pressing your space bar as you go. Like hyperactive people who like just jumping as they run. It is seamless.

What you are describing isn’t a big deal and I never said my question was a big deal, but it isn’t exactly seamless either.

Don’t use your mount, run and glide all you want. Not sure what the big deal is. Gliding should work the same it always does. If you’re mounted it won’t but you won’t have to be on your mount all the time. There’ll be chasms you have to jump maybe, so you jump on your mount, jump the chasm and then run and glide again. It’s like using a jumping mushroom or anything else.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Don’t use your mount, run and glide all you want. Not sure what the big deal is. Gliding should work the same it always does. If you’re mounted it won’t but you won’t have to be on your mount all the time. There’ll be chasms you have to jump maybe, so you jump on your mount, jump the chasm and then run and glide again. It’s like using a jumping mushroom or anything else.

Wonder if we can jump with a mount, then dismount mid way and glide? Also another thing I overlooked. Day 1 we won’t all have mounts but will need to progress thru the new areas, so we may see oakheart, thermal prop, Skritt tunnels etc.. Ok, excited.. lol

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

There already is a “catapult” mount, the raptor launches you forward, covering a great distance.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

I don’t get how you guys aren’t looking forward to mounts! I personally think they look way more kitten than gliders!

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Devilman.1532

Devilman.1532

if you cant glide in the new zones that would be complete stupidity and forcing people to use crappy mastery gated mounts. I wont be surprised though..

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I would love to have a Siege Devourer mount. A bit like we had in GW1.
Press 1 to launch a huge boulder to knock down enemies and initiate combat.
Press 2 to launch yourself over a great distance.

Attachments:

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

Wonder if we can jump with a mount, then dismount mid way and glide? Also another thing I overlooked. Day 1 we won’t all have mounts but will need to progress thru the new areas, so we may see oakheart, thermal prop, Skritt tunnels etc.. Ok, excited.. lol

No evidence of those in the videos I have seen except some updrafts around the Zephyrite area. But I guess we’ll see.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

if you cant glide in the new zones that would be complete stupidity and forcing people to use crappy mastery gated mounts. I wont be surprised though..

We have seen in videos that we CAN glide in the new expansion zones. My issue is that with the introduction of mounts, how much travel with them will be required? (They are the new Masteries.) And how much travel with gliders will be possible? (I haven’t seen a lot of updrafts except around the Zephyrite area so far.)

I personally didn’t want yet more movement gimmicks.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Purgatori.3645

Purgatori.3645

Im a little surprised how many people say they dont wants mounts after seeing so many posts about it for the last 5 years in the forums … that being said no everyone wants everything.

What I find interested is what you said about “If I’m riding a mount, I’m not gliding” well of course not …. but the mounts arent going to be strapped to your toon like a Karka facehugger Im sure you will have the option to use your mount or keep it “stowed” …. traverse the new maps as much as you can using gliding only and use mounts only when necessary … seems like the best of both worlds!

Im excited for the mounts and to see hopefully new mounts coming to the gem store!

When life knocks you down, roll over and look at the stars.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

Im a little surprised how many people say they dont wants mounts after seeing so many posts about it for the last 5 years in the forums

There is a huge difference between asking and wanting. Indeed, for the past couple of years players have been asking about mounts, and that because many came from other Massive Multiplayer Online games containing mounts. They asked of this mechanic to see if it exists in this game, but this does not mean they wanted mounts here, nor does it mean they needed mounts here.

This game has waypoints, mounts are redundant. ArenaNet introduces mounts with purpose: reaching locations; and all of a sudden mounts are no longer a mechanic as we know it from other games: fun traveling from point A to point B and C (especially when we must unlock masteries to upgrade mounts).

That is why we now have a problem. Reaching higher and higher could have easily been achieved not by mounts, but some character travel spells (Dry Top?). All that time spent to design mounts and mechanics for mounts, could have been better spent in other PvE content, or adding some diversity to PvP with new game modes, or adding some new mechanics to lure players in WvW and not leave it deserted.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Fractured.3928

Im a little surprised how many people say they dont wants mounts after seeing so many posts about it for the last 5 years in the forums

There is a huge difference between asking and wanting. Indeed, for the past couple of years players have been asking about mounts, and that because many came from other Massive Multiplayer Online games containing mounts. They asked of this mechanic to see if it exists in this game, but this does not mean they wanted mounts here, nor does it mean they needed mounts here.

This game has waypoints, mounts are redundant. ArenaNet introduces mounts with purpose: reaching locations; and all of a sudden mounts are no longer a mechanic as we know it from other games: fun traveling from point A to point B and C (especially when we must unlock masteries to upgrade mounts).

That is why we now have a problem. Reaching higher and higher could have easily been achieved not by mounts, but some character travel spells (Dry Top?). All that time spent to design mounts and mechanics for mounts, could have been better spent in other PvE content, or adding some diversity to PvP with new game modes, or adding some new mechanics to lure players in WvW and not leave it deserted.

First Off: I’m not a fan of the mounts

But, I’m pretty sure the biggest thread on these forums is people requesting mounts in the game.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

One major benefit of mounts is that instead of relying so heavily on multilevel to increase map size they won’t be afraid to make the map large in terms of area.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Posted by: Shadowsrb.6241

Shadowsrb.6241

they are not flying mounts,so im afraid this doesn’t become running simulator,and im sure they will remove wp on new maps.we need to see how will this work…

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Fractured.3928

One major benefit of mounts is that instead of relying so heavily on multilevel to increase map size they won’t be afraid to make the map large in terms of area.

Large maps aren’t always great though, they tend to have a lot of bloat (Pointless, or boring areas).

I thought HoT was amazing in its level design, every area had something awesome and/or beautiful.

Tangled Depths wouldn’t be hte hell it is if they didn’t put the most annoying monsters crammed into every corner.

Gliding Vs. Mounts?

Djinn.9245

That’s the interesting thing about the internet – one day it can see like “everyone” wants one thing and the next day it can seem like “everyone” wants a different thing. Yet it’s just a matter of which opinions are more noticeable. Before there were going to be mounts, people who wanted mounts could write threads titled “I want mounts” but people who didn’t want mounts were unlikely to start a thread titled “I don’t want mounts”. Now it’s the opposite.