Gliding in Central Tyria - not strict enough

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Derpina.2597

Derpina.2597

I was looking for a thread that might be associated with my problem but couldn’t really find it, so here it goes.

I know that for most people being able to use their gliders from HoT in Central Tyria is a blessing and lots of fun but some areas are clearly not designed for that, and I mean Jumping Puzzles to be specific. Although some of the JPs have “disabled gliding” option (maybe… 10%? 5%?) but there are still few instances where being able to glide basically kills the point of having that map at all. Most of the JPs are easy enough so I will move to one that I think got devastated completely – Silverwastes puzzles

In general gliding made puzzles easier, some of them extremly easy, but Golden Badges achievement, which was (in my opinion) the hardest jumping kind of achievement, is now reduced to some kind of a joke. You can get every, and I mean EVERY badge by simply gliding forwad, not even moving to the sides! Heck, you can basically remove the whole cave, place chest on closest Waypoint and trigger Golden Badges achievement by opening it, because it’s now as ridiculous as this example.

Maybe I’m the only one who likes challenges, JPs, being able to help people around with my mesmer, but I think ANet should really, really make more strict “gliding disabled” areas where jumping/exploring achievements are.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

being able to help people around with my mesmer

So portals should still be allowed but not gliding. Ok…

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m okay with both portals and gliding being allowed. Some people just aren’t into jps and they’re welcome to get their achievements by taking shortcuts. I’m a purist and will jump through a jp the old fashioned way, but that’s just me – so in the name of the six gods PLEASE give me the ability to reassign the glider button! I really, really try but sometimes I hold the jump button a little too long and it still opens the glider and flies me off a jump I would have otherwise made. It’s so frustrating. You took my jump button away from me. Give it back.

But what really got my goat recently was this: gliding is allowed in some jps.. but there’s an area in Krya (I forget the name) where there’s a slope with some harpies – that’s designated as a NO FLY zone. Why?!?! It’s a slope! You still have to walk up it to get to the harpies! There’s nothing there but some harpy eggs and stupid harpies. What in the name of Mordremoth were you trying to prevent players from doing there?!?!?!

And to add insult to injury, the harpies are allowed to fly – in a NO FLY zone.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I am not sure if they did take this into consideration and changed some things or not but I will give a small example where I think they may have.

Before they gave us gliding in Tyria I went for that golden badge achievement mainly for the mastery point. However I had an issue with one of them which got me so frustrated and so I gave up going for it. It was the one that was in the cave you speak of directly opposite the boat. To get to it you had to walk along that thin piece of rope and then perform some crazy types of jumps.

Now my issue with it (and a lot of other things in the Drytop and Silverwastes maps tbh) is that I play from New Zealand and thus due to my latency I get a very nasty 200-300+ ping. This can hit you hard in jumping situations (and even gliding before the recent fix). It was this I put down to being the reason I had problems getting that one particular coin. I have completed all jumping puzzles yet this coin I could not get to because the ping/FPS in both Drytop & Siverwastes are VERY bad.

Ok moving forward as it may seem already that I have gone off topic lol. Anywho after they gave us gliding in Tyria I thought to myself “yes I can go and give that coin another shot and see if it makes it any easier”. So I went there, and what do I find? The coin is nowhere to be seen.

Summary – maybe they have taken this into account and moved some of the coins to other locations?

PS there is another small fact I should mention. I have recently been out of the game as my previous computer died. So I have recently got a new computer which does give me some better fps. When I came back it was only 2 days after the gliding came into Tyria. So it was a combo of the gliding in Tryia and my new computer and the slightly better fps I get with it that gave me the thought to try for that coin again. So, having said that it could be changes have been made here or there to the game that I am not up to date on due to my absence over the last couple of months. Which may include this coin situation.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Paulytnz.7619

I’m okay with both portals and gliding being allowed. Some people just aren’t into jps and they’re welcome to get their achievements by taking shortcuts. I’m a purist and will jump through a jp the old fashioned way, but that’s just me – so in the name of the six gods PLEASE give me the ability to reassign the glider button! I really, really try but sometimes I hold the jump button a little too long and it still opens the glider and flies me off a jump I would have otherwise made. It’s so frustrating. You took my jump button away from me. Give it back.

But what really got my goat recently was this: gliding is allowed in some jps.. but there’s an area in Krya (I forget the name) where there’s a slope with some harpies – that’s designated as a NO FLY zone. Why?!?! It’s a slope! You still have to walk up it to get to the harpies! There’s nothing there but some harpy eggs and stupid harpies. What in the name of Mordremoth were you trying to prevent players from doing there?!?!?!

I agree with ZOltar here. Again for those of us with bad ping/fps it is helpful to spam the jump button in some cases or hold it down for a split second longer than needed. I have seen this mentioned on other posts and those defending the current gliding being the same as jump have always come back with replies similar to: “you don’t need to spam the jump button just time it right”. Well, that might work for them as they may have the most awesome computer and live very close to where the servers are. So they may not experience these things that others do. So I say to them: not everyone has the same game experiences as them or the same fair opportunities due to these facts. Just ignore it if there are no issues for you, but others do have these issues and just think for one second that any such changes may make it easier for us and really, lets be honest should not have any negative impact for you.

All Anet would need to do is have a check box on the first page of the settings tab to turn on Jump/Gliding sharing. If it is turned off (unchecked) you can then assign both of these keys to whatever you like in the keybinding situation. Problem solved.

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Is the No fly zone you speak of in NW Hirathi Hinterland? If so, there’s a JP in that area (Goonies cave ship), which is why gliding is probably disabled outside of the cave.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Using gliding is no different then using Jump Shot. And I did most JP with my engineer just because of that.

Stop worrying so much about other players, you can still do everything the “hard” way and if others don’t enjoy platform games as much as you do, they can use shortcuts. Its about having options and allowing more players to enjoy the game.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The problem with SW JP was never not being able to make that jump. It was always just needing to know where to go next. That haven’t changed.

Badges… yeah, i can understand that gliding made them much easier… but then i have cheesed through most of them with engi rifle jump (and the rest were so much of a pain i don’t really consider making them easier a loss).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

Maybe I’m the only one who likes challenges, JPs, being able to help people around with my mesmer […]

I enjoy that, too, but don’t be selfish. Not everyone is good at jumping and not everyone wants to beg a mesmer for help or even pay some of them gold. So I’m ok with gliding there, it opens a new perspective to the puzzles. Lion’s Arch JP also has many shortcuts with the glider now.

BUT, what we need is a JP designed with the glider in mind. Something high above the ground like in Metrica Province. You’ll have to use a glider to move around the platforms, but if you miss one you’ll have to restart. All the glider does is save you from falling to your death.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I always thought that any jumping achievement is totally cheesable. Whether its mesmer portal experimental rifles teleport rifles rocket jumps or guides and now gliding. It really is upto you how you get these. I literally didn’t get the golden badges since gliding. I was missing like two or three without any guide. So I was more than happy to guide myself to the last few and used gliding for one.

Personally i never complain when something is cheesable. Only your own achievements are what’s important. Especially when there’s mesmer portal which just helps people get this with literally skipping everything.

It’s funny to me that no gliding zones are a thing but no portal zones aren’t. I dunno why that’s not possible.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

It’s funny to me that no gliding zones are a thing but no portal zones aren’t. I dunno why that’s not possible.

Whoa, stop right there! Why do you think we’re playing mesmers? To cheat through the puzzles, that is.

Paulytnz.7619

I always thought that any jumping achievement is totally cheesable. Whether its mesmer portal experimental rifles teleport rifles rocket jumps or guides and now gliding. It really is upto you how you get these. I literally didn’t get the golden badges since gliding. I was missing like two or three without any guide. So I was more than happy to guide myself to the last few and used gliding for one.

Personally i never complain when something is cheesable. Only your own achievements are what’s important. Especially when there’s mesmer portal which just helps people get this with literally skipping everything.

Good point. Also not to mention the fact that people can park their chars/alts at a JP chest and simply log in on them each day and get the rewards without having to do the JP all over again. Where’s the anti-cheese fix from anet or people asking for this?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve read this thread carefully and added those badges to my TODO list ;p

Slightly off topic. Today’s daily boss is the Megadestroyer. I zoned in a bit too late and found the waypoint contested so I ran up the hill and glided down inside the volcano with a big grin on my face. Awesome!

(Hmmm… “glided” or “glid”?)

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Because portals can be sold, gliding cannot?

PS: Personally, I am in favour of gliding everywhere, and I prefer Spectralwalk as insurance.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Because portals can be sold, gliding cannot?

So basically, allowing people to use gliding to do something themselves, you want it restricted so you can profit off of it? That doesn’t sound like a good reason to restrict it further at all. That sound selfish on your part. Personally, having a couple mesmers has always made JPs easier for me because I can use portal any time there was a risky jump. Getting tipped because I portaled someone somewhere has also been nice, but its no reason for someone to NOT be able to use gliding.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

2 days before the tyria gliding patch 2 of us went after that really annoying golden coin closest to the waypoint. The level of patience required for not only that coin but atleast 2 others in this puzzle without gliding is almost unfathomable.

If a mesmer were to make it to this one before gliding were allowed I’m sure they made a pretty penny from those who’d already torn their hair out trying. However, that same mesmer could still make a profit from those that didn’t buy HOT, but in the meantine, those that did buy HOT have paid enough for the pleasure of keeping their hair. Let them glide in peace!

Just in case though, best to get this achieve before gliding here gets nerfed.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

There are many people who can’t jump well or at all, or don’t like it. Some of us have mobility issues, some of us have internet connection issues, and some if us just don’t like it.(or some combination of those three)
And I think it’s pretty unfair to gate stuff behind jumping puzzles in a Fantasy CRPG. If this was a platform jumping game, I’d be off base, but it’s not – it’s a Fantasy CRPG.
I think that if Mesmer portals are allowed,(and they should be) that gliding should also be allowed.
But you know what I want even more? A non-jumping option. To me Fantasy CRPGs are about fighting. My wish would be that for every jumping puzzle there would be a corresponding mini-dungeon, that completion of would award you whatever the JP would give you. So that those of us who can’t jump, could fight our way through and achieve whatever the goal is, without having to cheese a JP by asking for help, or gliding. We could just take door 2, the mini-dungeon instead.
But the more practical (if less complete solution) is to allow gliding. It doesn’t take anything away from anyone. People who want to do it the hard way still can. People who need a different way to get the achievement have a possibly better solution. Win – win.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

And I think it’s pretty unfair to gate stuff behind jumping puzzles in a Fantasy CRPG. If this was a platform jumping game, I’d be off base, but it’s not – it’s a Fantasy CRPG.

It’s the reason I get so very annoyed by HoT adventures too. If I really like to play timed platform games, and I would be great at it and enjoy it every day, why would I even bother playing GW2?

If they were completely optional and just reward some silly chest with usual trash, I would not care, but they are not. There is bunch of mastery points tied to those, asking for Silver and Gold rewards. I will never get those points and will never finish the HoT masteries because I lack the MP. There are Weapon collections requiring certain rewards on adventures. I will never finish these collections. Yes, because I am so bad at timed platform games, I am denied the weapon in MMORPG. Even if its just the skin, its still completely stupid idea.

And they all exactly same too. If you are any good on one and like it, great, you will enjoy every single one. If you suck at one, they all completely broken for you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If I understood the OP correctly, they want to expand the ‘no fly’ areas in Tyria to include more JPs, especially in Silverwastes (and perhaps Dry Top), which have difficult-to-reach achievements associated with them.

There are lots of reasons to support this…and plenty to argue the opposite. In the end, it’s a matter of preference, not of substance:

• Is there a fundamental difference between getting ports (whether mesmer or teleport-to-friend or consumables) vs gliding?
  • Do work-arounds like these ‘cheapen’ the achievements of others?
  • Is it ‘unfair’ that some people ‘earned’ the achievements and others ‘leeched’ them?

People that answer ‘no’ to the above will want an extended “no-fly zone” and those answering “yes” won’t (or won’t care that much).

However, ANet has already stated their preference: after reading feedback about the extent of no-fly zones (before it launched), they released central gliding with the fewest number of no-fly spots. If they thought it was an issue, they would have been far more conservative about it.

So while I sympathize with the OP, I disagree about whether it’s an issue worth addressing. And even if I did agree, I doubt very much if ANet will think it’s worth the time & effort to change things substantially.

And they all exactly same too. If you are any good on one and like it, great, you will enjoy every single one. If you suck at one, they all completely broken for you.

Um, no — they aren’t “all the same” for me. I’m good at some, I like some that I can’t do easily (or at all), and there are some I can do but hate. It’s not “all or nothing”, at least not for me nor the people I know, with whom I’ve discussed JPs.

It’s even more gray for me with adventures: I hate adventures with a passion — it’s why I don’t ever play games from certain genres. However, I am still willing to try to do some of them and I don’t think they need to be removed from collections/achievements, let alone from the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Attis.8367

Attis.8367

lol i spent like 4 hours doing that SW JP some months ago…

it seems now that it was a waste of time …

ANet could:
- disable gliding in JPs, all of them (and maybe portals, portal guns, jump shots etc)
- remove mastery points and other “must have” content from JPs (wintersday hunting quest?)
- add some alternative rewards for doing JPs

Thassit

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Make all JPs adventures. Being able to cheat them means they can never have decent rewards. As for the coins, content generally gets easier after an expansion and gliding is just another reason to buy HoT.

Cutting into profits.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: remove mastery points and other “must have” content from JPs – Yes, I am very much in favor of nothing being gated behind JPs. They should be for fun and JP-related achievements only. (if you want to eliminate all methods of “cheesing” them)

re: it seems now that it was a waste of time – To some of us JPs have always seemed like a waste of time. Why is there so much focus on jumping in a Fantasy CRPG? Fine, put it in, but make it optional. Just for fun, for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Is the No fly zone you speak of in NW Hirathi Hinterland? If so, there’s a JP in that area (Goonies cave ship), which is why gliding is probably disabled outside of the cave.

That could very well be the one. Ah, that explains it. Although disabling the gliding outside the cave – well down the slope in fact – seems a tad excessive. But mystery solved. Thanks.

Posted by: Banrigh.5932

Banrigh.5932

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banrigh
Disa Wyrmhunter – Druid/Ranger
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

More gliding, less jumping.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

More gliding, less jumping.

More gliding, more jumping.

Fixed it for you ^

Posted by: Attis.8367

Attis.8367

GW1 had no jumping and people were whining and crying about it.

Now you can jump all over the world.

People are still whining and crying

yea yea, I know