Go back in time with drops

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Canis Mesomelas.8125

Canis Mesomelas.8125

In the past when we was level 80 and traveled to a level 60 zone, all weapons and gear would drop at that level instead of level 80. I recently come to realize how vital this is now that we have a working living story, world bosses that have players warp all over the maps and ascended gear that is in much need of lower tier mats.

The benefits of rewinding to that old system means that the higher tiered common materials gain their value back and the lower materials become obtainable easier in PVE.

This may also make other systems in the game, eg. upgrading linen scraps to silk scraps via the mystic forge actually worth considering because currently, due to the system we have in place, you would have to be seriously stupid to do such a thing

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Learning what to say comes only when we have learned how to listen.

(edited by Canis Mesomelas.8125)

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I would prefer that a mix of gear is given, both level 80 and level XX.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

I have brought this topic up before. No reply from mods or devs (as usual) but the main reason why they wont do this is because everyone will then be in orr farming for high level of loot.

I believe they should bring this back but also allow level 80 gear drop. There should be a higher ratio of lower level drops if you are in a lower level zone. But I dont think they will implement this since they are going into a different direction by dropping “Smart Loot”. The down side of this is that people playing with lights will have a higher chance of getting silk then a medium or heavy.

I honestly don’t know what they are doing or what there plan it but I hate it and so do many of my friends. Get back to traditional MMO, Anet!!!

Canis Mesomelas.8125

I actually didn’t consider that! I play light (mesmer) and with smart loot your right! I have a much higher chance at obtaining better drops than a heavy and especially medium! That or the markets are going to decrease dramatically? Uncertain times…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused. I get a mix of loot between my current character level and the level of the map I’m playing in. Are you saying you do not?

Canis Mesomelas.8125

I’m confused. I get a mix of loot between my current character level and the level of the map I’m playing in. Are you saying you do not?

In the past, you only got level 60 items in a level 60 zone, level 50 items in a level 50 zone etc etc, now you get level 80 items in a level 10, 20, 30 area etc. This was one of the first bigger changes I can recall them making.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, that sounds a bit restrictive to anyone leveling.

Still, I imagine they changed it (long, long ago) for a reason. Perhaps, the Devs will change it back to serve the purpose you are proposing. Best of luck on your suggestion! =)

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

they will not change it otherwise if you want level 80 loot you will be only in the high end zones.

Yes we do get lower level loot but its rare. Majority of the time you will be getting loot according to your level. I think they should make is 3-5 ratio. So out of 5 drops 3 will be that of that zone.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It was initially changed so as not to discourage level 80 players from going to lower-level zones.

Now with Ascended armor requiring lower level mats, it probably should change back.

Canis Mesomelas.8125

It was initially changed so as not to discourage level 80 players from going to lower-level zones.

Now with Ascended armor requiring lower level mats, it probably should change back.

This is exactly what I mean! Perhaps this week they’ll mention something about gathering these materials easier, let’s hope so.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In the past, you only got level 60 items in a level 60 zone, level 50 items in a level 50 zone etc etc, now you get level 80 items in a level 10, 20, 30 area etc. This was one of the first bigger changes I can recall them making.

This was never true. Not ever. Not from the launch of the game.

There was always a chance to get level 80 items on a level 80 character in any zone. They changed it so that the change increased slightly in zones 55 and higher.

There has never been a time when you couldn’t get at level drops in a lower level zone.

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

I like this. Price of linen scrap on the market is really high because you can only get them from lvl 60 characters. Once yiu reached 80, theres no way you can get them again so you have to level another char to 60

Vayne.8563

I like this. Price of linen scrap on the market is really high because you can only get them from lvl 60 characters. Once yiu reached 80, theres no way you can get them again so you have to level another char to 60

I get linen on 80s…do you mean from champ bags?

gobax.6185

Where? Ö i always get silk scraps and gossamer when opening heavy bags and salvaging 80 light armors :/

Is there another way to get linen?

Vayne.8563

Where? Ö i always get silk scraps and gossamer when opening heavy bags and salvaging 80 light armors :/

Is there another way to get linen?

When you go into a low level zone you get armor drops at level sometimes, which salvage for linen. I used to run SE quite a bit with the guild and I was getting linen every day. Mind you, I wasn’t farming linen. But I definitely get linen.

Also from dredge bags in those areas that they drop bags, you get linen. Dredge bags are easy to farm. Flame legion bags too have linen.

Edit: The bag drops have to be from the right zones obviously.

gobax.6185

Ohh i did not know that. All this time i keep on remaking to lvl 60.

My friend told me loots are level based and once im 80 ill be getting 80 drops from low level areas as well.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

One thing that bothers people about level based drops is the scarcity of Silver dubloons.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, you get level- and zone-appropriate drops.

As for Silver Doubloons…well, I have a level-appropriate character to farm those. Just keep them in a place where they never get XP. ; ) Got two this week! Yay!

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m pretty sure this is an outfall of Magic Find. As it increases, the chance of getting an item of your own level also seems to increase.

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

Exactly, a long time ago people were complaining about getting drops equal to the level of the zone they were in instead of their character’s level and they changed it. Now with ascended crafting, it’s a pain tying to get the lower level cloth and leather we need to craft ascended armor.