Gold and Costs

Gold and Costs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eli Stormstrike.8637

Eli Stormstrike.8637

Hey, so was wondering how many people out there are having problems with making gold.

Personally, I farm events in Orr and do the Dragon events with 50% magic find, and the WP costs alone make it more or less even out at the end of the day. I get diminishing returns on events, which give about 2s maximum anyways, and the drops I get are often crap that is sold to vendor, because posting in on tradepost and making 2 coppers in profit is just not worth it. I’ve made almost all of my gold through one-time sources, e.g finishing a zone.

So, you can’t farm dynamic events because of diminishing returns, you can farm mobs but that’s no safe bet to ensure a steady income(plus it becomes mindnumbingly boring), and if you participate in WvW you’ll have repair costs and travelling around to do the meta events drains your pockets through WP costs.

How come the only way to make cash is to participate in the Race to the Bottom on the TP hoping you sell your kitten before someone undercuts you, or to buy gems and sell them for gold?

This is the first game I’ve played where there is no place to make some gold; WoW’s dailies ensured you never ran out of cash, credit drops and rewards in TOR were insane and good enough, LOTRO would give you a steady income aswell so long as you didn’t buy cosmetics for everything.

It’s like ANet doesn’t want us to play the game; no gold from events, no drops from mobs, an economy in shambles and no dailies or other steady sources to make cash?

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

No Anet want us to play the game but not exactly for free. Got it?
If we could work hard and farm gold day in day out what would happen to the Gem store?
No one will buy Gems.
This is why Dungeons are made too hard with hardly any good drops and Waypoints & Repairs are made too costly.

Solution: Buy Gems. Its not that costly unless you are into T3 Racial Armors lol!
The last time i checked 1 gold = 265 gems. Do the maths

Welcome to the World of Cash Shops if you have not played Perfect World games or Gamigo games for that matter or any games that involved Cash Shops.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Illmyrin.7381

Illmyrin.7381

I spent 20 bucks on Gems yesterday, converted them all and instantly made 4 and a half gold.

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

It’s hard to make gold but not impossible. I don’t play the auction house cause I suck at it. Usually I just run around or and kill stuff, gather stuff and do dynamic events.

I stopped salvaging because most mats are dirt cheap on TP now I just vendor everything.

The waypoint cost should probably be reduced yes, not so sure about repair costs though, you don’t want to encourage more zerg strategies.

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Thyrfing.6305

Thyrfing.6305

I havnt had problems with gold yet. Got to 80, bought an exotic weapon and full whispers rare set, still got 14g left.

Pretty easy to make gold exploring all the orr places and doing some dungeons.

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Its ridiculous, you barely make ends meet.

Gold and Costs

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I would have said that doing DE’s was the best way to make gold. It’s probably still the best way availavble. You stay were there’s a lot of repeating events and do them until diminishing rewards kicks in.

They key is to not use waypoints, not to craft, not to do dailies and not to be in areas that you are a higer level then……… Oh yeah, and not to have fun either. Because if you think what I described is fun, You are a masochist at heart.

(edited by SHM.7628)

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

I will start selling my gems for Gold when the exchange rate hits a level where I can buy a complete set of exotic armor + 3 weapons + runes and sigils for arond 2000 gems (25 euro). At this point in time that would mean 2000 gems would have to yield at least 20 gold, which it does not. The last few days the rate is getting better though.

This may sound ridiculous but the gold to gems ratio will change a LOT in the future.
Not only will there be a ton more gold in the economy later on, there will also be a lot more exotic items for sale.

And once people are maxing out toons(item-wise), and their gold is stockpiling, they may want to start looking at the store for store-bought outfits or extra slots or other luxury items, thus needing gems.

Right now everyone has way too much need for their gold themselves, and I also feel that there are some really big real-dollar spenders right now that muscle their way into the nicest things that the Mystic Forge has to offer (I.E. Legendaries). They keep the exchange rate low, since these people have no problem forking over 50 bucks to get a lousy 7 gold (at which the rate stood at one point).

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I make money by NOT farming the higher level zones. Since most rewards scale (though not to 100% of your level), I farm zones from levels 35-60.

The enemies are easy enough to take down so you get rewarded faster. And as long as you rotate your enemies and areas every 15 minutes or so, you shouldn’t run into diminishing returns.

(protip: Don’t hurt one enemy at a time. If you are farming, make sure you have plenty of AoE, take on as many enemies as you can take down QUICKLY at once, and then kill them all at once. For instance, don’t kill one enemy with your greatsword warrior…pull a bunch with a rifle/longbow, get them all together, and then crush them all at once)

Also, make sure to sell the crafting materials you don’t need for a tidy additional profit.

There are OTHER ways of making money using the market place, but i don’t want to outline them here for fear of losing a method of making money.

Hope this helps.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

(edited by Vorch.2985)

Gold and Costs

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

I would have said that doing DE’s was the best way to make gold. It’s probably still the best way availavble. You stay were there’s a lot of repeating events and do them until diminishing rewards kicks in.

They key is to not use waypoints, not to craft, not to do dailies and not to be in areas that you are a higer level then……… Oh yeah, and not to have fun either. Because if you think what I described is fun, You are a masochist at heart.

Wait… Why not do the daily? It’s easy, I do most of it without even trying except kill variety but that just give me an excuse to play my alt for about an hour every day.

Gold and Costs

SHM.7628

I make money by NOT farming the higher level zones. Since most rewards scale (though not to 100% of your level), I farm zones from levels 35-60.

The enemies are easy enough to take down so you get rewarded faster. And as long as you rotate your enemies and areas every 15 minutes or so, you shouldn’t run into diminishing returns.

(protip: Don’t hurt one enemy at a time. If you are farming, make sure you have plenty of AoE, take on as many enemies as you can take down QUICKLY at once, and then kill them all at once. For instance, don’t kill one enemy with your greatsword warrior…pull a bunch with a rifle/longbow, get them all together, and then crush them all at once)

Also, make sure to sell the crafting materials you don’t need for a tidy additional profit.

There are OTHER ways of making money using the market place, but i don’t want to outline them here for fear of losing a method of making money.

Hope this helps.

Most of what you said made a lot of sense, except for one thing. loot scales to the level of creature you kill, the exception being if you are far under the level of the kill.

Also, when you get to level 80 it will feel diferent to you. meaning less rewarding.

Gold and Costs

SHM.7628

Wait… Why not do the daily? It’s easy, I do most of it without even trying except kill variety but that just give me an excuse to play my alt for about an hour every day.

A good point you make. Kill variety is the reason for me. it will eitehr have me warping around burning coin, or wasting a lot of time trecking that I could be doing events in making more gold. At level 80 for me, its just not worth it.